PDA

View Full Version : Wet or dry eaxwax?

bmoney
09-02-2018, 02:32 AM
Hi guys, can I get a rough idea of the prevalence of either types in this forum

Dry earwax, also associated with no body odour, is associated with an NE Asian mutation (Koreans are 100% dry)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/10/east-asians-dry-earwax-and-adaptation/#.W4tKKZMzbUI

Prevalence (yellow is dry, blue is wet)

According to this India is majority dry earwax, so could be AASI related

If you want to be sure, check your rs17822931 on whether it is T/T (dry)

I was surprised to discover that I am T/T (dry earwax) although I already knew that lol

Assuming a recessive selection model, a coalescent-based simulation approach suggested that the selection coefficient of rs17822931-A had been approximately 0.01 in the East Asian population, and a simulation experiment using a pseudo-sampling variable revealed that the mutation of rs17822931-A occurred 2006 generations (95% credible interval, 1023 to 3901 generations) ago. In addition, we show that absolute latitude is significantly associated with the allele frequency of rs17822931-A in Asian, Native American, and European populations, implying that the selective advantage of rs17822931-A is related to an adaptation to a cold climate. Our results provide a striking example of how local adaptation has played a significant role in the diversification of human traits.

traject
09-02-2018, 02:35 AM
My dad and sister have dry earwax; my mom and I have wet earwax.

jesus
09-02-2018, 02:41 AM
I’m blue

poi
09-02-2018, 02:42 AM

Dry earwax, also associated with no body odour, is associated with an NE Asian mutation (Koreans are 100% dry)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/10/east-asians-dry-earwax-and-adaptation/#.W4tKKZMzbUI

I was surprised to discover that I am T/T (dry earwax) although I already knew that lol

Assuming a recessive selection model, a coalescent-based simulation approach suggested that the selection coefficient of rs17822931-A had been approximately 0.01 in the East Asian population, and a simulation experiment using a pseudo-sampling variable revealed that the mutation of rs17822931-A occurred 2006 generations (95% credible interval, 1023 to 3901 generations) ago. In addition, we show that absolute latitude is significantly associated with the allele frequency of rs17822931-A in Asian, Native American, and European populations, implying that the selective advantage of rs17822931-A is related to an adaptation to a cold climate. Our results provide a striking example of how local adaptation has played a significant role in the diversification of human traits.

Wet earwax :(
I need to check the rest of my family's alleles, but me, my dad, and my father in law used 24andme health addition, so earwax was in the results. Does ancestry test the snp?

bored
09-02-2018, 02:47 AM
I have wet earwax

bmoney
09-02-2018, 02:52 AM
I need to check the rest of my family's alleles, but me, my dad, and my father in law used 24andme health addition, so earwax was in the results. Does ancestry test the snp?

it does

misanthropy
09-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Dry (TT).

Didn't even know earwax can be wet.

JMcB
09-02-2018, 03:11 AM
Like one of my favorite songs; https://youtu.be/qNcPwrfK9tY ... I’m blue.

pnb123
09-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Same here wet earwax.

jortita
09-02-2018, 06:17 AM
Dry earwax

BMG
09-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Dry (TT).

Didn't even know earwax can be wet.

Same here

surbakhunWeesste
09-02-2018, 07:36 AM

Wet, I have never seen dry earwax. Body odor has to do with your diet as well and hygiene?

khanabadoshi
09-02-2018, 07:55 AM
C/T

I'm pretty sure I have wet earwax.

Censored
09-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Wet earwax, CC. Interesting itís associated with sweat cause I sweat like a pig every time the temperature hits above 77.

I donít buy the cold hypothesis, or why would India be majority dry? Probably just connected to East Eurasian imo. And Iím pretty cold adapted.

Sapporo
09-02-2018, 09:09 AM
C/T

I'm pretty sure I have wet earwax.

I have wet per 23andMe and I have wet in real life.

MonkeyDLuffy
09-02-2018, 11:45 AM
C/T, wet earwax.

Saad2016
09-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Dry and it smells very good.

poi
09-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Wet, I have never seen dry earwax. Body odor has to do with your diet as well and hygiene?

It makes "sense" that the dry wax/less sweating/less body odor started out as cold adapted simply because people living in cold would have had to live in close proximity for warmth and couldn't bathe ever lol. If you are stinking up the place, chances of passing those stinky alleles would decrease you'd think .

The only question is why is India, with non cold adapted ancestry(AASI, iranN, Steppe) would be majority dry? Unless AASI itself was cold adopted.

Reza
09-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Everyone in the family as well as wife are CC for wet ear wax.

I found it interesting my wife was AG on the EDAR gene (with the hair thickness trait), my family all AA. Presumably that is more clearly East Asian related in her.

bmoney
09-02-2018, 02:16 PM

yep, but there seems to be a genetic component as well to emitting body odour

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs17822931

Geno Mag Summary
(C;C) 2 Wet earwax. Normal body odour. Normal colostrum.
(C;T) 2 Wet earwax. Slightly better body odour.
(T;T) 2.5 Dry earwax. No body odour. Likely Asian ancestry. Reduced colostrum.

Censored
09-02-2018, 04:30 PM
It makes "sense" that the dry wax/less sweating/less body odor started out as cold adapted simply because people living in cold would have had to live in close proximity for warmth and couldn't bathe ever lol. If you are stinking up the place, chances of passing those stinky alleles would decrease you'd think .

The only question is why is India, with non cold adapted ancestry(AASI, iranN, Steppe) would be majority dry? Unless AASI itself was cold adopted.

Steppe is not cold adapted? Half of Yamnaya was Siberian(ANE) and much of the Eurasian steppe is cold af, especially in Kazakhstan during winter.

poi
09-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Steppe is not cold adapted? Half of Yamnaya was Siberian(ANE) and much of the Eurasian steppe is cold af, especially in Kazakhstan during winter.

The whole discussion is a little flakey to me, no pun, but here it goes. The context is ear wax type. If the dry ear wax is cold adaptation, then steppe certainly was not "cold adapted" in this context. They might have other cold adapted traits(again, guessing), but not ear wax. Again, this is a disgusting topic to boot, but we can all have straight face while discussing this because it likely has genetic factors.

anthroin
09-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Hahahaha, I think I have dry earwax in my right ear and wet/mix-of-wet-and-dry earwax in my left ear. Is that possible?

Censored
09-03-2018, 06:20 AM
The whole discussion is a little flakey to me, no pun, but here it goes. The context is ear wax type. If the dry ear wax is cold adaptation, then steppe certainly was not "cold adapted" in this context. They might have other cold adapted traits(again, guessing), but not ear wax. Again, this is a disgusting topic to boot, but we can all have straight face while discussing this because it likely has genetic factors.

I don’t think it’s that disgusting. I can think of about 5 things off the top of my head that are worse.

Zaid
09-03-2018, 04:02 PM
I have T/T. I actually didn't realize until a few years ago that earwax could be wet. 23andme data also confirms this.

midichlorian
09-04-2018, 03:38 PM
CC, don't know what that means tho

Censored
09-04-2018, 09:53 PM
CC, don't know what that means tho

You are homozygous for wet earwax.

kush
09-05-2018, 04:42 AM
Mine: C/T, wet earwax.

A little over half of India has the dry earwax gene. Only east/southeast asians have higher frequencies of dry earwax than Indians. All west Eurasians, SSAs are almost all wet earwax. Even the ones with wet earwax among the indians are more often than not heterozygous for the gene.

So why does the smelling stereotype exist among indians lol? Is it the curry and hygiene? Or are there any other factors such as hormonal imbalances and mutations involved?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2006-01-29-dry-earwax_x.htm
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Feb/08/FPI602080302V1_b.jpg

https://www.livescience.com/593-earwax-wet-dry.html
Today, 80 to 95 percent of East Asians have dry earwax, whereas the wet variety is abundant in people of African and European ancestry (97 to 100 percent).

Populations in Southern Asia, the Pacific Islands, Central Asia, Asia Minor, and Native North Americans and Inuit of Asian ancestry, fall in the middle with dry wax frequencies ranging from 30 to 50 percent.

poi
09-05-2018, 06:20 AM
Mine: C/T, wet earwax.

A little over half of India has the dry earwax gene. Only east/southeast asians have higher frequencies of dry earwax than Indians. All west Eurasians, SSAs are almost all wet earwax. Even the ones with wet earwax among the indians are more often than not heterozygous for the gene.

So why does the smelling stereotype exist among indians lol? Is it the curry and hygiene? Or are there any other factors such as hormonal imbalances and mutations involved?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2006-01-29-dry-earwax_x.htm
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Feb/08/FPI602080302V1_b.jpg

https://www.livescience.com/593-earwax-wet-dry.html
Today, 80 to 95 percent of East Asians have dry earwax, whereas the wet variety is abundant in people of African and European ancestry (97 to 100 percent).

Populations in Southern Asia, the Pacific Islands, Central Asia, Asia Minor, and Native North Americans and Inuit of Asian ancestry, fall in the middle with dry wax frequencies ranging from 30 to 50 percent.

Well, the smell threshold the evolution eventually settled on is a bit different than the modern standard where any amount of body smell is considered rude and just plain gross.So, despite the dry gene, if you're in the hot weather for too long and don't bathe daily and don't put on anti-perspirant, there will be some smell for sure.

As for me, I sweat like a pig if the temperature gets above 85( but I still love sunny weather though), so I'm always prepared... Except when I'm backpacking, in which case it is just best to avoid me. I feel gross after an extensive outdoor or cardio heavy session unless I can cool off with shower and/or river/pool/lake.

And the typical spice heavy food smell doesn't help either. We cook pretty spicy food these days and almost always cook meat/fish/daal outdoors just to avoid the smell from permeating all over the house, including clothes. No amount of vent is going to get rid of garam masala and mustard oil. I swear that gets in the dry wall and reeks for days... If you are cooking daily, good luck keeping the house and everything inside from not smelling.

bmoney
09-05-2018, 06:23 AM
Well, the smell threshold the evolution eventually settled on is a bit different than the modern standard where any amount of body smell is considered rude and just plain gross.So, despite the dry gene, if you're in the hot weather for too long and don't bathe daily and don't put on anti-perspirant, there will be some smell for sure.

As for me, I sweat like a pig if the temperature gets above 85( but I still love sunny weather though), so I'm always prepared... Except when I'm backpacking, in which case it is just best to avoid me. I feel gross after an extensive outdoor or cardio heavy session unless I can cool off with shower and/or river/pool/lake.

And the typical spice heavy food smell doesn't help either. We cook pretty spicy food these days and almost always cook meat/fish/daal outdoors just to avoid the smell from permeating all over the house, including clothes. No amount of vent is going to get rid of garam masala and mustard oil. I swear that gets in the dry wall and reeks for days... If you are cooking daily, good luck keeping the house and everything inside from not smelling.

Absolutely, I live in an apartment and when family cooks in here my suits are gone, the struggle is very real.

I usually try and gallop past but the smell still remains

No amount of exhaust can deal with it

Otherwise absolutely cooking outside is prudent esp regards to garam masala and spices

Reza
09-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Absolutely, I live in an apartment and when family cooks in here my suits are gone, the struggle is very real.

The struggle was definitely real.

Year upon year going to school with my coat smelling of curry.

Until I discovered the novelty of storing my coat in a closet rather than on the banisters. Transformed my life.

pegasus
09-05-2018, 07:23 AM
The struggle was definitely real.

Year upon year going to school with my coat smelling of curry.

Until I discovered the novelty of storing my coat in a closet rather than on the banisters. Transformed my life.

the combination of cumin + oil + onions can wreak hell on clothes, I found putting clothes with that scent with a fabric sheet for 10 minutes in the dryer works best. I am OCD when it comes to cleanliness and my house smelling great. To get rid of cooking smells I usually burn bakhoor and luban after, guests and relatives always compliment how great my house smells too.

ssamlal
09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Wet (CC)

poi
09-05-2018, 05:02 PM
the combination of cumin + oil + onions can wreak hell on clothes, I found putting clothes with that scent with a fabric sheet for 10 minutes in the dryer works best. I am OCD when it comes to cleanliness and my house smelling great. To get rid of cooking smells I usually burn bakhoor and luban after, guests and relatives always compliment how great my house smells too.

With almost all cooking done outdoors(cook on Sundays and Wednesdays and refrigerate), the food smell is usually not there except for the microwave area which is used to heat up the containers. The house is still a giant mess with the kids though.

Berdy
09-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Dry earwax.

midichlorian
09-05-2018, 07:53 PM
You are homozygous for wet earwax.

Well that can't be possible m8. I have to shower and wet the insides of my ears to make my earwax wet tho...

Censored
09-26-2018, 03:26 AM
Well that can't be possible m8. I have to shower and wet the insides of my ears to make my earwax wet tho...

Is it sticky?

JerryS.
09-26-2018, 05:52 AM
sort of wet.

midichlorian
09-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Is it sticky?

Yeah kinda. But it isn't like globs of wet looking earwax like in this gif from Shrek: https://makeagif.com/gif/shrek-ear-wax-eQzlJe

Censored
09-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Yeah kinda. But it isn't like globs of wet looking earwax like in this gif from Shrek: https://makeagif.com/gif/shrek-ear-wax-eQzlJe

That’s what’s meant by wet.

aaronbee2010
09-28-2018, 02:16 PM
CC (Wet)

misanthropy
10-02-2018, 04:49 AM
Wet earwax for my brother (vs. dry for me).