PDA

View Full Version : Reputation comments - can we change how this works?

sktibo
09-06-2018, 03:38 AM
Hello Mods,

I've collected about three reputation comments from the same individual now (through different accounts) who uses them as a form of responding to some posts I have made - is there some way to de-activate this so that people must respond via regular reply instead?

To illustrate:

I have one comment from "Devos" (Banned) responding to a comment about the French and German 23andme category.
I have one comment from "Rolling" (Banned) asking about my Metis status
I have one comment today from "Dreyrugr" who I believe to be the same individual, as this reputation comment they left me appears to be one of their first actions - they have one post in the same thread breaking down their paper trail.

This individual is clearly going to keep up this pattern of using the reputation system as a way to respond to (criticize) comments. I would rather that they had to respond on the public forum instead. Can we do anything about this? In the meantime I suppose I'll keep collecting reputation points for nothing...

Thank you for your time and help, and I very much appreciate you keeping the forum running!

MikeWhalen
09-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Ya, I had 2 guys pull this a while ago..I always felt it was a mixture of dopey-stupid, and sneaky obnoxious

...in any case, after I complained to the brass here, it was hinted by the powers that be that they were not the same guys... but it was the same cowardly little shot via the reputation thing so I always figured it was too much of a coincidence
...but then, these little bitter trolls, (the guys with me were that) might have picked up that trolling technique from one of the scrub forums out there

anyway, the point is that Skitbo is not the only one who has had to deal with these pests...

FYI

Mike

sktibo
09-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Ya, I had 2 guys pull this a while ago..I always felt it was a mixture of dopey-stupid, and sneaky obnoxious

...in any case, after I complained to the brass here, it was hinted by the powers that be that they were not the same guys... but it was the same cowardly little shot via the reputation thing so I always figured it was too much of a coincidence
...but then, these little bitter trolls, (the guys with me were that) might have picked up that trolling technique from one of the scrub forums out there

anyway, the point is that Skitbo is not the only one who has had to deal with these pests...

FYI

Mike

Thanks for sharing your experience, from my perspective we could just eliminate the ability to comment, or make it so you cant add reputation until you've been on the forum a while. These users, who are probably the same person had 1 post when i noticed they left these... Its incredibly suspicious when your first action after making an account is to use the reputation comment system in this way..

C J Wyatt III
09-06-2018, 03:31 PM
Is the Reputation feature used much? My impression is not so.

If something is not used a lot, what is the point in having it?

Jack

sktibo
09-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Is the Reputation feature used much? My impression is not so.

If something is not used a lot, what is the point in having it?

Jack

I think removal would also be a fine solution

msmarjoribanks
09-07-2018, 11:55 PM
I had this happen a couple times, where I don't think a reputation comment was intended. One clearly intended to ask a question (so maybe intended a message?) and the other was clarifying something that would have been better to clarify in the thread (that one sounded a tad more like the ones sktibo mentions). As I'm kind of new and don't know anything about the reputation system, I was puzzled about the etiquette -- with the question I noted that I'd been asked the question and responded in the thread but felt kind of stupid doing so. The other I ignored.

Unlike sktibo's experience, I don't think the once I got were intended to be obnoxious or avoid criticism/disagreement, but it suggests there may be some confusion about how the reputation system works.

Webb
09-08-2018, 12:08 AM
I’m up to 2 green dots. It’s taken me 4 years to achieve these special emerald green gems of knowledge. If the reputation option is removed, I’m afraid I will remain stuck at 2 forever:(

jdean
09-08-2018, 12:32 AM
I had a racist troll use the rep system to berate me once, which I thought somewhat amusing, he was banished shortly afterwards : )

rms2
09-08-2018, 12:35 AM
I've never looked at it. Guess I should.

JonikW
09-08-2018, 12:35 AM
I think the best thing is not to take it seriously. People with lots of green might have earned that by posting on a particular subject some years ago and might have no knowledge in other fields where they also post. I've certainly observed many users who consistently teach us a lot but are unrated according to the system. I'm constantly surprised and delighted by the depth of knowledge on this site. I just judge every post by what it teaches me and appreciate everyone chipping in.

JMcB
09-08-2018, 12:42 AM
... Its incredibly suspicious when your first action after making an account is to use the reputation comment system in this way..

Well, perhaps you can’t go by me because I’m getting a little long in the tooth and this is the only forum I’ve ever joined. Which may explain why I still don’t know how to leave a reputation recognition after three years. So inappropriately leaving one right after you sign up, does seem a little suspicious.

Be that as it may, I do have a question; how does one go about leaving a reputation notice?

czl
09-08-2018, 12:44 AM
I got one last month by a pest as well, I'm not really sure what they're meant for but another thing is that I can't even view them on other profiles. I wouldn't pay much attention to them. If anything, all they do is make our profile icon on the side look better :P

jdean
09-08-2018, 12:52 AM
Perhaps a solution would be to remove reps made by banned posters ?

msmarjoribanks
09-08-2018, 01:00 AM
Well, perhaps you can’t go by me because I’m getting a little long in the tooth and this is the only forum I’ve ever joined. Which may explain why I still don’t know how to leave a reputation recognition after three years. So inappropriately leaving one right after you sign up, does seem a little suspicious.

Be that as it may, I do have a question; how does one go about leaving a reputation notice?

Heh, I wondered that too, but assumed everyone else knew.

jdean
09-08-2018, 01:03 AM
Heh, I wondered that too, but assumed everyone else knew.

Click the star : )

JonikW
09-08-2018, 09:46 AM
I too had no idea how reputation works or what "gold member class" meant. If that's for donating money, perhaps it should be flagged up somewhere prominent, then more of us who value the site might give. For me too, this is the only forum I've joined and posted on. I've added plenty of archaeological site pics to the Megalithic Portal website but have never joined in discussions there. I'm not even on Facebook...

EDITED for clarity.

jdean
09-08-2018, 10:51 AM
I too had no idea how reputation works or what "gold member class" meant. If that's for donating money, perhaps it should be flagged up somewhere prominent, then more of us who value the site might give. For me too, this is the only forum I've joined and posted on. I've added plenty of archaeological site pics to the Megalithic Portal website but have never joined in discussions there. I'm not even on Facebook...

EDITED for clarity.

Simple as, though it's not the reason I made a donation I just didn't want to see this place go the way DNA Forums did.

JonikW
09-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Simple as, though it's not the reason I made a donation I just didn't want to see this place go the way DNA Forums did.

Well worth doing! This is an excellent site and I now plan to donate myself when I get paid (it's been an expensive summer).

jdean
09-08-2018, 11:23 AM
it's been an expensive summer.

But hopefully enjoyable : )

msmarjoribanks
09-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Oddly enough I just got one of those "not how the feature is supposed to work" reputation comments last night, just like the ones mentioned in skitbo's first post.

MikeWhalen
09-08-2018, 06:18 PM
for what its worth, I think the reputation function is a minor, pleasant little thing that like some noted, does not really mean a great deal, but I can see its worth when your trying to develop a community and creating a function to deliver some positive reinforcement

I know there have been a few times when someone gave me a rep point and that was nice, but more importantly, the little bit of positive feedback on something I wrote or posted was valuble and often useful...many times, its more about someone getting my point, or appreciating some of the effort I put in to finding or getting some tidbit to post
-not a big deal, agreed, but some days when you spend half an hour trying to make or post something you think will be interesting, only to have no comments or feedback at all well, it makes you think that maybe your stuff is not interesting and perhaps should not bother...I'm not trying to say folks 'owe' it to posters to do anything, but people are people and a rep feature is one way to encourage more of the same behaviour, assuming you liked it

Perhaps its my contrary-ness, but I kinda hate the idea of a harmless but nice & civilized way of us talking to each other be ruined, yet again, because of some trolling prick...I get some did not realize we had the function, but once a person runs across it, lets be serious, it does not take a rocket scientist to know how your supposed to work it

one last point about the trolls, and I really do think its purposeful trolling since if they wanted to send you a private message, that button is in the same spot and is much easier to find and involves a wee bit less work, so why did they not use that? its private, easy to do....

The rep comment given is hidden from others... when I first complained, the mod/admin who first dealt with me said they could not see it and I had to copy and paste it for them. So in other words, this becomes a good little troll trick that is harder for admins to spot and deal and that is NOT accidental imho.

Anyway, I'm not sure its causing enough problems to do away with it or invest alot of time and energy to change it
...one idea if folks thought it critical, is remove the 'private communication' aspect of it...let a rep post go into the thread or some such, so all can see it
...another idea, again, if not too difficult, is to keep the rep point, but remove the ability to put a short custom comment on it...the person still gets the rep point, and if you really wanted to tell them something, then you could either message them privately or just post it to the comments...which folks often do anyway

So, I hope we keep it, or some variation of it, mostly due to the 'contribute to a civilized environment' issue, but to be honest, partially because I hate it when the trolls make you change shit, just to back them off till they find the next nipple to twist

Mike

Phoebe Watts
09-08-2018, 07:13 PM
I had one of these comments from a new member I should have recognised as a troll. I hadn't realised there was a reputation function or that it was being misused. Now I know, I won't be bothered. I thought it might just be that they didn't have enough posts to send a pm.

MikeWhalen
09-08-2018, 08:05 PM
^
that last point might very well be why they do it
...if you do need a certain amount of post to pm folks, donno, been on this forum a long time now :)

Mike

DMXX
09-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Hi all,

Thank you all for the feedback. My colleagues and I are discussing the matter and will get back to the community regarding the solutions.

JonikW
09-09-2018, 12:57 AM
Hi all,

Thank you all for the feedback. My colleagues and I are discussing the matter and will get back to the community regarding the solutions.

I would display the joining date and number of posts. That's it. If someone joined in 2012, has thousands of posts and not been banned, that tells me all I need to know. As things stand, women don't seem to get rated as highly as they should either. Some people might get the impression there's a bit of a boy's club going on. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best way.

Scarlet Ibis
09-09-2018, 01:09 AM
Just a quick heads-up that in the meantime, users who don't want to participate in the reputation system can disable theirs from being visible.

User Control Panel > General Settings > Hide Reputation

You can still give and receive comments, but it will then just show a grayed out box under your user name instead of a green box/green boxes.

Scarlet Ibis
09-09-2018, 04:28 AM
RE: gender equality:

I cannot account for how all members behave at first, but as for the founding of this forum, almost half of us were women (including myself). I am a proponent of free speech, but you can always report abuse or unfair treatment in confidence (to me personally if you are afraid of retaliation, I promise). If things are problematic, they will be addressed.

DMXX
09-09-2018, 05:36 AM
I disagree with the conjecture regarding reputation point ratings being different on the basis of gender. Though it's understandable from a subjective assessment of the user base, given the strong male skew. It just so happens that some users utilise the rep point system to interact with the community more so than others.

Going through the Members List (in order of descending post count) (https://anthrogenica.com/memberlist.php?&order=desc&sort=posts), some of our top female regulars (Jean M - RIP and dearly missed, GailT, Taltos - an admin colleague, surbakhunWessste) have reputation ratings which exceed (or match) some of their male counterparts with equivalent post counts. I think Taltos is the most "green" admin, come to think of it!

As Scarlet states, the co-founders of this forum (which included both of us) were almost half female in constitution, which is something of a novelty, given the skew towards males in anthropology and genetics forums. I think we're actually the first anthropology and genetics forum that even had female founders, but am open to correction on that. Naturally, we didn't create this platform for identity-exclusive units to form. Per section 3.1:

3.1 Anthrogenica ardently supports the reasonable exercise of freedom of speech. Forms of expression considered unreasonable are detailed in Sections 3.2-3.12 below. No censorship of an individual's ethnic, political, religious, sexual or ideological expression will therefore be taken by the administration/moderation provided the expression in question is not found to be in violation of the rules. Additionally, discriminatory language including (but not limited to) sexism, racism or other forms of bigotry are not tolerated.

We haven't received any indication over the past six years we've been online that any form of gender-based discrimination is taking place. Naturally, once more, we'll investigate and act on these promptly, should future reports roll in.

rivergirl
09-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Just a quick heads-up that in the meantime, users who don't want to participate in the reputation system can disable theirs from being visible.

You can still give and receive comments, but it will then just show a grayed out box under your user name instead of a green box/green boxes.

Thanks Scarlet Ibis,

Ive been on this forum from the early days and had no idea about reputation comments, just checked and Ive got 22.
I really dont check out my User account much....

JonikW
09-09-2018, 10:22 AM
I disagree with the conjecture regarding reputation point ratings being different on the basis of gender. Though it's understandable from a subjective assessment of the user base, given the strong male skew. It just so happens that some users utilise the rep point system to interact with the community more so than others.

Going through the Members List (in order of descending post count) (https://anthrogenica.com/memberlist.php?&order=desc&sort=posts), some of our top female regulars (Jean M - RIP and dearly missed, GailT, Taltos - an admin colleague, surbakhunWessste) have reputation ratings which exceed (or match) some of their male counterparts with equivalent post counts. I think Taltos is the most "green" admin, come to think of it!

As Scarlet states, the co-founders of this forum (which included both of us) were almost half female in constitution, which is something of a novelty, given the skew towards males in anthropology and genetics forums. I think we're actually the first anthropology and genetics forum that even had female founders, but am open to correction on that. Naturally, we didn't create this platform for identity-exclusive units to form. Per section 3.1:

We haven't received any indication over the past six years we've been online that any form of gender-based discrimination is taking place. Naturally, once more, we'll investigate and act on these promptly, should future reports roll in.

Appreciate all that. The late, great Jean M was the only woman I'd noticed with that level of reputation, at least on the threads I've frequented. I used to check her posts rather than jumping into the site any other way to find out where the really interesting discussion was. Anyway, I'm glad you're looking at the system again.

euromutt
09-09-2018, 02:06 PM

I’m not showing this option in my General Settings and I can’t view how to see reputation comments for the life of me, is this something you get once you’ve posted more than I have?

Sorry for the possibly silly question... just can’t find it at all lol

MikeWhalen
09-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Euro
take a look at the top right hand of your page when on site...
click on settings
there should be 4 main catagories in sequence
-Subscribed Threads with New Posts:
-Who Quoted Me
-Latest Reputation Received
-Latest Reputation Given

the 3rd one will tell you how many if any points you have, and show the last 15 threads you got the point for and the comments you got

as an example of the kinda stupid stuff we are talking about, when someone made a new thread on starting an arab section, I posted a short and supportive message...this is what I got from a new guy I had never heard of before...

"Thread: Can an Arabian section be formed?
"but yet youre the same faggot that said he would "throw napalm to the fucking region" in regards to the middle east due to your self-righteous elitist western attitude. stfu maggot"...from Kahwi

needless to say, I have never ever said such a thing, about anyone, ever-and this is the only forum I am on, so no beefs from 'other sites'...this crazy shit comes from out of the blue, yet the fools add to your good score :)

or this charming fellow...
"Thread: For you old timers who can't resist taking the bait"
"Next time try harder if you want to insult an intelligent person. But then most on this forum, I've heard, are just poorly educated sheep who pat one another on the back for their lame ideology. Like your pathetic "insult"." ...from Braggin

sad lives if they have to go on the interwebs to flame, cause of course, they would never have the balls to even look crosswise at me in person, but they will fucking yap at a few thousand miles

anyway, hope the top part helps folks find the reputation stuff...it took me like 10 min to find the stupid thing to day to post this
:)

Mike

euromutt
09-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Euro
click on settings
-Who Quoted Me
-Latest Reputation Given

the 3rd one will tell you how many if any points you have, and show the last 15 threads you got the point for and the comments you got

as an example of the kinda stupid stuff we are talking about, when someone made a new thread on starting an arab section, I posted a short and supportive message...this is what I got from a new guy I had never heard of before...

"but yet youre the same faggot that said he would "throw napalm to the fucking region" in regards to the middle east due to your self-righteous elitist western attitude. stfu maggot"...from Kahwi

needless to say, I have never ever said such a thing, about anyone, ever-and this is the only forum I am on, so no beefs from 'other sites'...this crazy shit comes from out of the blue, yet the fools add to your good score :)

"Next time try harder if you want to insult an intelligent person. But then most on this forum, I've heard, are just poorly educated sheep who pat one another on the back for their lame ideology. Like your pathetic "insult"." ...from Braggin

sad lives if they have to go on the interwebs to flame, cause of course, they would never have the balls to even look crosswise at me in person, but they will fucking yap at a few thousand miles

anyway, hope the top part helps folks find the reputation stuff...it took me like 10 min to find the stupid thing to day to post this

Mike

Ahh now I understand, I’m missing those two sections because I haven’t gotten or given any reputation, I thought I was missing a separate link entirely for viewing it. Thank you though for clarifying that bit for me!

Although I still can’t find the option to Hide Reputation, I can certainly see why it could be appealing to do so though.. I’m quite familiar with Braggin...

I suppose I’m lucky not knowing about the reputation function up till now then, no trolls have deemed me worthy. ;)

JonikW
09-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Ahh now I understand, I’m missing those two sections because I haven’t gotten or given any reputation, I thought I was missing a separate link entirely for viewing it. Thank you though for clarifying that bit for me!

Although I still can’t find the option to Hide Reputation, I can certainly see why it could be appealing to do so though.. I’m quite familiar with Braggin...

I suppose I’m lucky not knowing about the reputation function up till now then, no trolls have deemed me worthy. ;)

Yep, looks like the option isn't live for some reason.

euromutt
09-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Yep, looks like the option isn't live for some reason.

So, for argument’s sake, I’m not crazy. :)

Scarlet Ibis
09-10-2018, 01:34 AM
Hi guys, sorry about that. The hide feature should be available through your User CP now.

sktibo
09-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Euro
click on settings
-Who Quoted Me
-Latest Reputation Given

Mike

Hey Mike -

"Braggin" was one of the profiles of the same individual who left the comments under my reputation. It might just be this one lunatic doing the same thing to many people on this forum through various accounts. At this point i'm sure they have several accounts going at the same time. Too bad they aren't bored of this yet. We're getting into the years timeframe with them.