PDA

View Full Version : K1c2 info?

Krystyn
10-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Can anyone tell me more about this Haplogroup? I gleaned enough of the internet to know it might be from my mothers Polish and possibly some Finnish heritage. But I am also interested because of some health problems common on my mother's side of the family. (Early heart disease, mood issues, alchoholism, autoimmune)

From looking at specific genetics (FADS1, FADS2, CPT1A, among others) it looks as if my metabolic genes are closer to hunter gatherer/Inuit genetics.

Thanks for any insight!

msmarjoribanks
10-06-2018, 07:53 PM
I'm more focused on K2b clades, but from Eupedia, K1c2 is largely found in western and northern Europe and in the Maghreb. Depending on where you got the mtDNA results from, it could be a more specific clade. 23andMe only gives me K2b, but FTDNA (full sequence) and Living DNA were able to identify K2b2. Looking at the K Project at FTDNA (worth joining if you tested at FTDNA), K1c2 is a very large group for a non-Jewish K subclade, and what Eupedia says is right -- matrilineal ancestors trace back to the British Isles, France, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Finland, Germany, and Poland, and even as far east as Russia, with a small number from Morocco and Algeria. If further testing showed it to be K1c2a (a daughter of K1c2), that one seems to be found mostly in Ireland.

Do you have any mtDNA matches? That can be informative.

I've been trying to trace back my matrilineal line and have been stuck in late 1700s Kentucky for a while, but have lately made some possible progress due to matches. I still don't know if mine goes back to Germany or the British Isles.

Regarding medical issues and so on, that is likely not specifically mtDNA related, unless there's a reason to think so (I haven't done much work on that stuff).

C J Wyatt III
10-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Can anyone tell me more about this Haplogroup? I gleaned enough of the internet to know it might be from my mothers Polish and possibly some Finnish heritage. But I am also interested because of some health problems common on my mother's side of the family. (Early heart disease, mood issues, alchoholism, autoimmune)

From looking at specific genetics (FADS1, FADS2, CPT1A, among others) it looks as if my metabolic genes are closer to hunter gatherer/Inuit genetics.

Thanks for any insight!

I've been doing some research into a specific K1c2 matrilineal line. I am curious how far back you can trace yours with confidence and documentation?

Appreciate it!

Jack

Krystyn
10-07-2018, 12:34 AM
I've been doing some research into a specific K1c2 matrilineal line. I am curious how far back you can trace yours with confidence and documentation?

Appreciate it!

Jack

On my mother's side I only go back to my Great Great Grandparents who were from Germany and lived in and around Coal Township, PA. My mothers last name was Podchajski or Podhayski.

Kathryn Walentka (or Catherine Walentz)
BIRTH 1897
DEATH 23 Apr 1942 (aged 44-45)
BURIAL Saint Stanislaus Cemetery
Coal Township, Northumberland County,
Pennsylvania, USA
Kathryn Walentka was born in 1897 in Pennsylvania, the daughter of
Rose and Frank. She had three sons and three daughters with Stanley
Gusick between 1915 and 1928. She died on April 23, 1942, in Coal City,
Pennsylvania, at the age of 45, and was buried there.

(I have no data on Rose and Frank Walenkewicz)

Kathryn Walentka married:
Stanley Gusick
BIRTH 1892
DEATH 1955 (aged 62-63)
BURIAL Saint Stanislaus Cemetery
Coal Township, Northumberland County,
Pennsylvania, USA
PLOT New North Section, Block

Joseph Gusisk (Stanley's Father)
Joseph Gusick was born in February 1840 in Germany, the son of
Josephus. He married Franceska Miller in 1866. They had five children
in 15 years. He died in 1910 in Shamokin, Pennsylvania, at the age of 70.

Franceska Miller (Stanley's mother)
Franceska Miller was born in July 1849 in Germany. She married Joseph
Gusick in 1866. They had five children in 15 years. She died in 1928 in
Shamokin, Pennsylvania, at the age of 79.

Krystyn
10-07-2018, 12:39 AM
The more I look at it and understand all this I see it is probably Northern Germany. I had no close mtDNA matches, I gues syou are talking about GEDMATCH?

All my relatives came here after the 1850's.

msmarjoribanks
10-07-2018, 04:25 AM
As far as I know you can only get mtDNA specific matches on FTDNA, although I think you can search matches on Gedmatch to see if they added mtDNA and what it is.

C J Wyatt III
10-07-2018, 04:30 AM
The more I look at it and understand all this I see it is probably Northern Germany. I had no close mtDNA matches, I gues syou are talking about GEDMATCH?

All my relatives came here after the 1850's.

Thanks, I am a little confused. Is Catherine Walentz on your matrilineal line and you don't know where her mother Rose was born, though most likely Northern Germany?

The K1c2 line which I am researching came through Alabama in the mid-1800s and probably was back in North Carolina in the mid-1700s, though that conclusion is a bit speculative.

I am a compulsive comparer of GEDmatch kits, though these lines are probably too far apart to show anything autosomally.

Jack

Krystyn
10-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Yes, Catherine Walentz is my Mother's Mother's mother. And I do not know where her parents, Rose and Frank, were born but pretty certain it was Germany sinc ethe name seems common there (but I just started looking into it).

Krystyn
10-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Cool, I will sign up for FTDNA. Thanks!

C J Wyatt III
10-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Yes, Catherine Walentz is my Mother's Mother's mother. And I do not know where her parents, Rose and Frank, were born but pretty certain it was Germany sinc ethe name seems common there (but I just started looking into it).

Try Poland.

From Catherine's death certificate:

Interestingly, her mother's maiden name listed (Walenkewiez by computer recognition, but I see Walenkewicz) is similar to her father's but not the same.

But then we have this found on Ancestry.com:

The mother and father may have been married in Poland and picked up different names on separate voyages to the USA. I am not sure whether Walenkewicz is a maiden name or not. Could have been cousins marrying.

One more thing, if you want to investigate the Rosenbaum Bank record, look at:

https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/USA/PhilaRosenbaum.htm

A function of the bank was for people to save money to pay for passage for their families.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Krystyn
10-07-2018, 05:42 PM
WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH! No idea how you found that. I could not find it when I was on Ancestry. Yes it helps, a lot!

Walenkewicz was her maiden name. It says on that document "Maiden name of mother".

Does this mean they were Polish Jews as well if they had an account at that bank?

C J Wyatt III
10-07-2018, 06:08 PM
WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH! No idea how you found that. I could not find it when I was on Ancestry. Yes it helps, a lot!

Walenkewicz was her maiden name. It says on that document "Maiden name of mother".

Does this mean they were Polish Jews as well if they had an account at that bank?

I would say so, but I would be curious to hear from others who might know for sure. Have you (or your mother) taken an autosomal DNA test? If so, what are you showing on the admixture/ethnicity ?

Jack

C J Wyatt III
10-07-2018, 06:09 PM
delete - duplicate

Krystyn
10-07-2018, 08:47 PM
I would say so, but I would be curious to hear from others who might know for sure. Have you (or your mother) taken an autosomal DNA test? If so, what are you showing on the admixture/ethnicity ?

Jack

No, both my parents are dead and I do not have the money for an autosomal test. Would Gedmatch results help any?

C J Wyatt III
10-07-2018, 09:03 PM
You would have to have an autosomal test to upload to GEDmatch.com. What test did you take to find out your mtDNA haplogroup?

Jack

Krystyn
10-09-2018, 12:46 AM
You would have to have an autosomal test to upload to GEDmatch.com. What test did you take to find out your mtDNA haplogroup?

Jack

I uploaded it here:
https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/

msmarjoribanks
10-09-2018, 01:07 AM
I uploaded it here:

But where did you get the data you uploaded? If you have an Ancestry test or the like, that's what we mean by autosomal.

C J Wyatt III
10-09-2018, 01:07 AM
I uploaded it here:

What kind of data file did you upload?

Jack

edit - Ms. Banks beat me to the question, but I can'f find a way to delete my post. Anyone know how to delete posts?

Krystyn
10-09-2018, 08:27 PM
But where did you get the data you uploaded? If you have an Ancestry test or the like, that's what we mean by autosomal.

Oh, I thought I mentioned that already. I have both v4 and v5 versions of my 23andme genome.

AJL
10-09-2018, 09:20 PM
K1c2 appears to me likely to have spread from the Alps, based on current distribution.

My second great-grandfather was K1c2 (via testing of a fourth cousin), with the line originating in County Down, Ireland, ca. 1796.

msmarjoribanks
10-09-2018, 09:24 PM
What kind of data file did you upload?

Jack

edit - Ms. Banks beat me to the question, but I can'f find a way to delete my post. Anyone know how to delete posts?

No need -- GMTA. ;-)

msmarjoribanks
10-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Oh, I thought I mentioned that already. I have both v4 and v5 versions of my 23andme genome.

What's your ethnicity breakdown on 23andMe?

Worth uploading to Gedmatch also, for the matches as well as the calculators.

C J Wyatt III
10-09-2018, 10:19 PM
What's your ethnicity breakdown on 23andMe?

Worth uploading to Gedmatch also, for the matches as well as the calculators.

Upload the V4 data to regular GEDmatch.com and if you do the V5, it would need to be on the newer GEDmatch Genesis site.

If you get the V4 kit on GEDmatch, I would be interested in doing some comparisons with it.

Jack

Krystyn
10-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Upload the V4 data to regular GEDmatch.com and if you do the V5, it would need to be on the newer GEDmatch Genesis site.

If you get the V4 kit on GEDmatch, I would be interested in doing some comparisons with it.

Jack

I did both, gedmatch and genesis since I have the v4 and v5. Here is my k13 breakdown with v4. I will contact you when I upload my v4 to gedmatch so we can compare.

msmarjoribanks
10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
What percentages do you get for 23andMe and for the categories for K13 (Atlantic, Baltic, West Med, etc.)? And what's your known ancestry, is any of this surprising?

Curious about this, since so far as I know K1c2 is not one of the Ashkenazi associated subclades (which doesn't mean anything, as there are tons of possible explanations, mtDNA subclades get around -- just interested).

Krystyn
12-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Sorry for the looong delay. I was distracted by life.

I would say it is very surprising to me, over 60% North Atlantic and Baltic. Mostly because my family associated itself so much with my father's Italian heritage. This does explain the heart disease in my family and how my lipids were fixed only by a high fish diet.

msmarjoribanks
12-01-2018, 11:00 PM

I would say it is very surprising to me, over 60% North Atlantic and Baltic. Mostly because my family associated itself so much with my father's Italian heritage. This does explain the heart disease in my family and how my lipids were fixed only by a high fish diet.

Looks like a mix between British Isles and Scandiavian. What's your known ancestry. I have much higher North Atlantic, lower Baltic. (I'm a mix of about 75% British Isles, 25% Swedish, German, French, and Dutch.)

Krystyn
12-01-2018, 11:17 PM
My mother is 100% Polish and my father is Italian with some Hungarian. It is a little unclear on my fathers side since his mother had an unknown father. But his father is 100% italian

Krystyn
12-01-2018, 11:18 PM
And what do you think about the Amerindian component.

Mykhailo
12-02-2018, 06:02 AM

I notice I have almost similar for Mediterranean I am 100% western Ukrainian, interesting cause you are 25% Italian?

Your Amerindian score can indicate some possible Hungarian roots and your North Atlantic is high for Pole more similar with Central Europeans with your Baltic being slightly low for Pole, just my opinion ask more people

If I had to guess your closest population will be Romanian, Hungarian, Moldavian something like that no?

msmarjoribanks
12-02-2018, 06:09 AM
My mother is 100% Polish and my father is Italian with some Hungarian. It is a little unclear on my fathers side since his mother had an unknown father. But his father is 100% italian

Oh, yes, of course Baltic is often northern EE too, I'm just more used to the Scandinavian source since that's mine.

And what do you think about the Amerindian component.

It's a little higher than expected, but unless you have colonial ancestry (I'm guessing not based on the ancestries mentioned, although with the unknown great-grandfather could be (assuming the mother was born in the US), the N Atl is high enough for some British Isles ancestry), I'd not take it seriously. I've noticed that my Amerindian varies a lot test to test also, so I'd see if it's an aberration compared to other tests.

A few European posters get those kinds of numbers and no likely NA ancestry, so it happens, it can be related to Asian/Siberian ancestry which could be ancient in Hungarian or Polish.

Krystyn
12-05-2018, 05:34 AM
delete