PDA

View Full Version : Usefulness of Living DNA?

Lirio100
10-09-2018, 03:23 PM
I have paper trails to south Wales for a great grandmother, to northern Staffordshire for a great grandfather, and a 2X great grandfather to Sussex. I have one colonial line to Great Britain, although my grandmother said her mother had Scottish ancestry I've found nothing to confirm that. The rest of my ancestry is other European countries. Would the Living DNA test be of any use to confirm/refine these branches?

MacUalraig
10-09-2018, 03:27 PM
I have paper trails to south Wales for a great grandmother, to northern Staffordshire for a great grandfather, and a 2X great grandfather to Sussex. I have one colonial line to Great Britain, although my grandmother said her mother had Scottish ancestry I've found nothing to confirm that. The rest of my ancestry is other European countries. Would the Living DNA test be of any use to confirm/refine these branches?

Is the Staffs surname most likely of English or Welsh origin? I have a ggm from Staffs but its hard to say whether it showed up or not as its unclear which region it should have been lumped under.

Lirio100
10-09-2018, 04:00 PM
The Staffordshire surname is Newton, which apparently could be from anywhere in the UK. It's also the Y DNA line. He was born just outside Flash, in very northern Staffordshire. His mother was a Goodwin.

MacUalraig
10-09-2018, 04:07 PM
So more English than Welsh stray - mine was a Williams. I also have a Newton ggm but she was from Lincs so its not very specific in origin within England (it doesn't really feature up here in Scotland).

I would give it a go and see what you get. I got a fair chunk of Lincs and some Welsh/welsh borders.

Do you know the supposedly Scottish surname?

Lirio100
10-09-2018, 04:57 PM
I have a Williams in the Welsh line :) Great Grandmother's sister married a Williams (those were definitely Welsh). The colonial line has been difficult-- great grandmother's parents were Cole and Ayers. Both surnames go back to colonial times in the US, up in New England. I've been wondering if they were Scots Irish (Ulster Scots?) because at one point a Steele from Ireland seems to have married in. On the other hand Steele and Cole both appear in early records as Scottish Coventanters. :noidea:

That's why I've been considering the test. These families passed through New York in the early 1800's and New York records in that time period are awful. Desperate enough to try anything to see if I can narrow SOMETHING down to a geographical area. The alleged Scots is the only oral family history bit I've been unable to pin down.

Robert1
10-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Living DNA needs more reference samples in Wales, Scotland and Ireland. By paper trail I'm ~20% Welsh (most South Wales) while Living DNA estimates ~12% (9% South Wales) which is pretty good. I line up well with their reference populations in Scotland, known ancestry about 25% while LDNA estimates 29%. Their estimate of ~6% Irish should be at least twice that.

Overall I think LDNA is quite useful for British ancestry and should get better next year.

czl
10-13-2018, 07:02 PM
How useful is livingdna for non Irish or British groups?

Fungene
10-13-2018, 11:39 PM
I have found it helpful for sorting out Eastern European ancestry. It distinguishes between Finland and Western Russia, Northeast Europe, the Baltics, Pannonia, and a couple of other regions. It does much better than FTDNA and 23andme in this respect. I think LivingDNA includes Belarus and Ukraine in Northeast Europe, but I don't believe any other company could make a distinction between the two.
It does have its drawbacks, which other people have discussed at length (too much British, inflated Italian).
I presume you have already tested with other companies and tried Gedmatch, and are looking for a "second opinion"?

czl
10-14-2018, 01:48 AM
Yeah basically, I try to do all the tests I can. Gedmatch I find extremely useless to be honest, it's impossible to calculate smaller amounts of ancestry, or mixed ancestry. AncestryDNA is borderline, it's too broad and mixed up, way too many overlaps, and I haven't tried FTDNA or 23and me. Myhertiage is useless, it gave me terrible estimates same with DNALAND, I'm just hoping LivingDNA can be as well as ancestry or even better at this point.