PDA

View Full Version : getting back into the game

thecelt
11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I posted this on another forum that i remember from several years ago, but i just stumbled upon this forum and i actually recognize many user names from the old dna forum before it closed.

its been about 2 years since i did any homework or reading about dna as life got very busy. and a lot of what i had learned has been lost. ive tested positive for L21, and M222- which was a surprise at the time as my roots are primarily from Ireland (fathers side/scotland mothers side) as far back as paper and family history can tell me, although my surname is typically scottish. im looking to further my snp testing but im not sure what direction i should be looking to test in, and im sure the advancements and information in the past two years is light years ahead of where it was when i stopped reading up on it. i am hoping someone will be able to possibly guide me towards what possible snp's i should look into testing. below are the current str's i have tested through genebase (and previously converted to the same format ftdna and others use for the few markers that they identify differently).

additionally, i plan to test through ftdna when funds allow. i read something about a geno 2.0 test available now as well but im unsure what this is. if i test through ftdna, is there any tests available that test for all the possible snps that isnt too expensive or do you have to test one snp at a time?

i appreciate the help and patience with my questions as i have a lot of dust to knock off since last i read about dna.

additionally, i remember from years ago that i never found any larger groups that my str's matched up with very well but im hoping that perhaps now there may be more information available to better predict possible origins.

MacUalraig
11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
If you're loaded (and patient), go for a complete Y-chromosome sequencing at FullGenomes. If not, probably the best option is the Chromo2 SNP chip from BritainsDNA which is the most uptodate test. Geno 2.0 is pretty old hat now and even if ftdna announce some kind of upgrade to it at their conference, its doubtful it will have the range of new exploratory SNPs that Chromo2 has. The chip is a better option IMHO than trying to navigate through a sequence of individual SNPs and may be cheaper in the long run.

thecelt
11-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks mac, but I'm far from loaded and lack patience.

MacUalraig
11-09-2013, 01:59 PM

I dealt with that possibility too. :-)

Muircheartaigh
11-09-2013, 02:21 PM

It seems you are only tested to 39 markers. I recommend that you do what I did a couple of years ago. Upgrade to 67 markers with FTDNA and join the L21 project and the R-L21 Yahoo Group Project. That will likely put you in a position to identify a cluster of your closest matches in Mike Walsh's excellent spread-sheet of Haplotypes and indicate any individual SNP for which you are likely to test positive.

Clinton P
11-09-2013, 03:52 PM
FTDNA kit# 57456 has your unusual DYS385a/b = 12/16, DYS449 = 30 combination.

He has Irish ancestry, and is reported as R1b-P312 > L21 > DF13 >Z253.

If you are adventurous or a gambler, Z253 may be the next step (as always no guarantee you'll be +ve).

Clinton P

thecelt
12-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Well, 2 more years gone by and still havent had a chance to follow up. Life gets too busy sometimes. Im going to try and do some more reading though.

C J Wyatt III
12-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Well, 2 more years gone by and still havent had a chance to follow up. Life gets too busy sometimes. Im going to try and do some more reading though.

You haven't taken an autosomal DNA test yet such as FTDNA's Family Finder, have you?

Jack

thecelt
12-05-2015, 04:20 PM
You haven't taken an autosomal DNA test yet such as FTDNA's Family Finder, have you?

Jack
I havent, although my brother did an autosomal through 23andme...

Im justtrying to re-educate myself, and then get some testing done after the new year.

C J Wyatt III
12-05-2015, 04:37 PM
I havent, although my brother did an autosomal through 23andme...

Im justtrying to re-educate myself, and then get some testing done after the new year.

Thanks, good luck.

If your brother has not uploaded his 23andMe results to GEDmatch, getting him to do that might be worthwhile. An autosomal test for you would be slightly different because of how recombination works, but you might find some connections by using his kit for comparisons now, not to mention accessing the many admixture utilities on GEDmatch.

Jack

thecelt
12-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Thanks Jack. Is the chromo2 test still the best option?

C J Wyatt III
12-05-2015, 06:17 PM

I have no experience with chromo2, so I will have to defer to someone else about that.

Jack

rms2
12-05-2015, 06:44 PM

The situation has changed since the time that earlier post was written. After the Full Genomes test, Big Y is best (and much cheaper than Full Genomes).

For the money, the L21 SNP Pack from FTDNA is a good deal for someone who has tested L21+ but has not yet been tested for the major branches downstream of L21.

thecelt
12-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks rms, i remember your name from probably 5 or 6 years ago on the other forums. Good to see your still at it.

rms2
12-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks rms, i remember your name from probably 5 or 6 years ago on the other forums. Good to see your still at it.

I was "Stevo" at the old dna forums and on FTDNA's forum.

seferhabahir
12-05-2015, 11:47 PM
The situation has changed since the time that earlier post was written. After the Full Genomes test, Big Y is best (and much cheaper than Full Genomes).

For the money, the L21 SNP Pack from FTDNA is a good deal for someone who has tested L21+ but has not yet been tested for the major branches downstream of L21.

I pretty much agree with this advice. If you are short on funds, take the L21 SNP Pack test from FTDNA, and then if you turn out to be Z253, consider taking the Z253 SNP Pack test.

seferhabahir
12-06-2015, 12:00 AM
FWIW, I did take the Full Genomes test when it first came out in 2013, and a bunch of other tests as well, before and after that. I am pretty confident that the last SNP on the list in my signature (FGC11963, discovered via the FGC test) is representative of a recent lineage divergence probably no more than 300 years ago. L583 was discovered in my WTY test in 2011 and might be 600 years old. A555 was discovered in another person's YSEQ test and might be 1000 years old. FGC11986 found in my FGC test and later found in other L21 custom SNP tests might be 4000 years old.

Coming late to the party, you have the advantage of having a lot of the legwork in L21 subclades done by the numerous Big Y and FGC tests already completed that have fleshed out the L21 tree. The bottom line is that so much has happened in the last four years that my SNP list now can pinpoint even closer relatives than my STR markers.