PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage Conference 2018

Pylsteen
11-08-2018, 12:32 PM
See Estes (https://dna-explained.com/)' blog.

I am in particular interested in the idea of extracting DNA from envelopes/stamps that may contain DNA. Perhaps it is possible within a few years to get DNA from deceased (great-)grandparents, if they licked their envelopes/stamps and if these are preserved in a good condition.

Geborgenheit
11-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Interesting... I have hoped that they may launch a new, better ethnicity estimate, but it looks like it won't happen.

Pylsteen
11-08-2018, 01:01 PM
One possible issue with the envelope/stamps thing may be privacy. I think one needs to be able to show that the individual that sent the envelope has indeed died.

lukaszM
11-08-2018, 03:35 PM
One possible issue with the envelope/stamps thing may be privacy. I think one needs to be able to show that the individual that sent the envelope has indeed died.

But somone first sold those stamp and touched it also.

Pylsteen
11-08-2018, 03:53 PM
But somone first sold those stamp and touched it also.

That's true; probably more DNA is left behind by licking than by touching, still, they would have to deal with contamination. Not sure how they would solve this. In any case, with the fast rate that technology develops now, this may become very interesting in 5-10 years.

MitchellSince1893
11-08-2018, 05:16 PM
This is very interesting to me. I have a 1913 postcard sent from my paternal great grandfather. You would have to remove the stamp from the postcard to access the licked side but it would be easy to determine if it was my great grandfather by comparing to my father’s results.

If it could be turned into a autosomal result it could help detect relatives of my mystery man paternal line great great grandfather. If I was able to test all of his living descendants(got 3 out of 5) I would only have around 85% of his son's dna or about 42.5% of his total dna.
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3987-Help-me-to-solve-a-family-Mystery-My-paternal-line-before-my-great-grandfather&p=73449&viewfull=1#post73449

digital_noise
11-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Interesting... I have hoped that they may launch a new, better ethnicity estimate, but it looks like it won't happen.

I had seen rumors about this on another web site but have never read anything actually from My Heritage. They need to upgrade this badly

C J Wyatt III
11-08-2018, 06:25 PM
This is very interesting to me. I have a 1913 postcard sent from my paternal great grandfather. You would have to remove the stamp from the postcard to access the licked side but it would be easy to determine if it was my great grandfather by comparing to my fatherís results.

If it could be turned into a autosomal result it could help detect relatives of my mystery man paternal line great great grandfather.

A good reason not to blindly throw out everything when cleaning out a deceased relative's house.

Jack

FionnSneachta
11-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Living DNA has already done something like this to identify a woman's biological father using a stamp: https://www.livingdna.com/press-releases/308/living-dna-provide-final-closure-search-biological-father

MitchellSince1893
11-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Living DNA has already done something like this to identify a woman's biological father using a stamp: https://www.livingdna.com/press-releases/308/living-dna-provide-final-closure-search-biological-father

Hmm. My father has already tested with them. Wonder how I would go about exploring this possibility. I will try the email in your link.

Pylsteen
11-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Estes also writes that next year an ethnicity update will come, and also X-chromosome will be added.
I also noticed with the matches that a map is included showing shared places. They are growing a lot it seems.

MitchellSince1893
11-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Hmm. My father has already tested with them. Wonder how I would go about exploring this possibility. I will try the email in your link.

Email sent.