PDA

View Full Version : Norman/French input into England since 1066

Molfish
11-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Is there any decent way of estimating this? Obviously it would peak in the South East. There are so many Norman surnames but I have no idea how that would translate autosomally, maybe a quarter of the percentage of Norman/French derived surnames in any given area? Just a wild guess.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comparison between the upper and lower classes in this regard.

spruithean
11-09-2018, 03:19 AM
It would be interesting to see results for Norman influence, however it seems that the Normans may not have had a very large influence genetically in Britain on the larger scale.

Beyond that I don't think the Normans would have been all that autosomally different from the people in Britain, similar Celtic and Germanic (and Roman) influences.

Trelvern
11-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Is there any decent way of estimating this? Obviously it would peak in the South East. There are so many Norman surnames but I have no idea how that would translate autosomally, maybe a quarter of the percentage of Norman/French derived surnames in any given area? Just a wild guess.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comparison between the upper and lower classes in this regard.

William the Conqueror had a contingent of Bretons in his 1066 army (one-third it is said) as well as french and flemish contingent (mercenaries)
Many of these Breton knights were granted- land holdings (Domesday Book 1086).Alan Rufus of Richmond (Alain Le Roux/Alan the Red) was the most important of them (grandson of Geoffrey of Brittany ) He owned lands in Yorkshire (Honour of Richmond ),Lincolnshire, EastAnglia....

A significant number of Bretons settled in East Anglia particularly and a migration from Brittany to England took place.