PDA

View Full Version : How do you post marriage intentions in your genealogy software

Wing Genealogist
11-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Marriage Intentions are (I believe) fairly unique to New England. They are typically written down in the Vital Records, and in more than a few cases they are the only record of the marriage (as the actual marriage was either never recorded, or the record has not survived/can not be found).

Unfortunately, Genealogy apps (such as Ancestry, and even the new New England Historic Genealogical Society Ancestrees) don't have a Marriage Intention event. Rather they have Marriage Contract, Marriage Banns, and Marriage License. Which (if any) would be the most appropriate event to use for marriage intentions?

MikeWhalen
11-19-2018, 04:17 PM
not an expert, but just off the top of my head, does not that procedure act as a contract?...or rather, a public announcement of agreement to marry, which as we used to say in the neighborhood, is close enough?

so of the 3 choices you give, I would guess contract

Mike

louis42
07-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Nouveau sur le site, je vais déterrer ce vieux post. Le tag du gedcom " MARS" contrat prénuptial de mariage me semble approprié.
EVEN peut également correspondre en renseignant l'événement avec le tag TYPE, par exemple intention de mariage.
Peu de logiciels utilisent tous les tags et/ou incluent un éditeur.

JLouis

geebee
03-11-2021, 03:41 AM
Marriage Intentions are (I believe) fairly unique to New England. They are typically written down in the Vital Records, and in more than a few cases they are the only record of the marriage (as the actual marriage was either never recorded, or the record has not survived/can not be found).

Unfortunately, Genealogy apps (such as Ancestry, and even the new New England Historic Genealogical Society Ancestrees) don't have a Marriage Intention event. Rather they have Marriage Contract, Marriage Banns, and Marriage License. Which (if any) would be the most appropriate event to use for marriage intentions?

It looks as if the Marriage Intention is actually the application for a marriage license, so Marriage License is probably the closest. Since a contract implies a binding agreement -- which I don't believe would apply any longer, prior to the marriage itself -- I would not use Marriage Contract.

For Massachusetts:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/weddings/2015/04/27/wedding-licenses-application-massachusetts/

Here's the form in use in Maine:

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/public-health-systems/data-research/vital-records/documents/pdf-files/VS2-A-Marriage-Intentions-fillable.pdf

Presumably, the same thing applies to the other New England states.

By the way, some genealogy software allows you create your own events or event categories. For example, I just added "Marriage Intention" to my copy of RootsMagic 7.