View Full Version : 23andme or myheritage dna AC

Ahmed Hirad
11-20-2018, 12:26 AM
Hello mates,
Ive got my result from 23andme and the ancestry composition was :
97.7 Somali
1.8 ethiopian
0.5 west african
Then Ive uploaded my raw data to myheritage dna and I got a completely different break down AC , it was
82.4 Somali
7.9 Middle east
3.6 ashkenazi Jewish
2.8 finnish
3.3 north + west africa

Im quite buffled really!
Is myheritage dna more accurate than 23andme or what ?
And why I got different break downs ?

Jojjo450
11-23-2018, 06:01 PM
im not sure if you can call it being more accurate, but 23andme has a significantly larger amount of reference population samples. + they probably have different algorithms. some services are more coherent with peoples paper trails than others

ianz91
11-26-2018, 04:34 PM
I'm having the same problem myself

msmarjoribanks
11-26-2018, 04:41 PM
"Is myheritage dna more accurate than 23andme or what ?"

IME, no -- I find 23andMe among the most accurate, and MyHeritage decidedly not, more because it is off in weird ways and seems to have certain trends that depend on when you uploaded/took the test.

However, some tests are better with or have more specific results for different ancestries. I think 23andMe has been working to expand it's reference panels and specificity with non-European results, but how it is on those, I'm not sure. I'd look at total numbers of samples in their reference panels, but would be surprised if MyHeritage is up there with 23andMe.

Your MyHeritage results look kind of odd (Finnish?) unless you have a reason to think it's more correct based on what you know about your ancestry. The MyHeritage results for my family are odd in different ways (different ways from each other, too) -- my mom gets Balkan and Greek, which makes no sense, stuff like that.

ianz91
11-26-2018, 04:48 PM
"Is myheritage dna more accurate than 23andme or what ?"

IME, no -- I find 23andMe among the most accurate, and MyHeritage decidedly not, more because it is off in weird ways and seems to have certain trends that depend on when you uploaded/took the test.

However, some tests are better with or have more specific results for different ancestries. I think 23andMe has been working to expand it's reference panels and specificity with non-European results, but how it is on those, I'm not sure. I'd look at total numbers of samples in their reference panels, but would be surprised if MyHeritage is up there with 23andMe.

Your MyHeritage results look kind of odd (Finnish?) unless you have a reason to think it's more correct based on what you know about your ancestry. The MyHeritage results for my family are odd in different ways (different ways from each other, too) -- my mom gets Balkan and Greek, which makes no sense, stuff like that.

I just posted my own thread about this, because I'm also getting weird results from MyHeritage. Not sure how accurate the DNA uploads are.

Francisco
11-29-2018, 05:48 PM
I have already posted a very bad experience with Myheritage estimations.
Compared to FTDNA: It will give 25% more Amerindian, 20% less European, give a "Centroamerican Amerindian" instead of "Southamerican Amerindian", give Greece European parts instead of Spanish!!
And per knowledge we know the subject tested has Southamerican Amerindian roots (not Centroamerica), no Greek roots and lot of Spanish that is not see by Myheritage.

So I recommend you to take a test with another company and never trust Myheritage

digital_noise
11-29-2018, 10:44 PM
On a regional level, My Heritage has been very accurate for me. 70% North/NW Euro, 30% South/SE Euro. Lots of people say it doesn't work for them, which is understandable but its not fair to apply a blanket statement. People come here for answers to questions and the typical parroting of "___test sucks" can create problems. AncestryDNA's new update is awful for me, the previous was much better and 23 and Me thus far has been the most accurate of all, yet it still has problems.

That said, My Heritage doesnt work for everyone. In that case you need a second opinion. I would always recommend doing more than one test regardless as each test has its own sample population and algorithm. And download your raw data, upload at GEDMatch and if you are inclined, get the G25 coordinates from davidski, they have proven to be very accurate for me.

Sizzles
12-06-2018, 12:07 PM
My heritage 94.8%
43.4% north and western euro
31.3% southern euro Italian
20.1% east euro
15.2% Balkan
4.9% east euro
4.4% Asia west
0.8%. Middle east

23&me. 99.6%
9.2% British and Irish UK.
3.6% French and German
9.5%. Broadly northwestern euro
20.8% southern euro Italian
13.1%. Broadly southern euro
4.6%. East euro Slovenian
32%. Balkan Croatian
6.9%. Broadly euro
0.4%. Asian

And to confuse further
Ancestry Dna 100%
42% east euro Croatia Bosnian
22%. Italian Sicily
15% Balkan
13% Ireland and Scotland Irish
3% Germanic euro
3%. French
1% Sweden
1% Baltic state

My heritage is way off. For me I would give ancestry’s results more accurate, 23 and me accurate and lastly my heritage not very accurate

sktibo
12-06-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm mostly northern european but i found in my case that 23andme was very good and myheritage was quite far off.

My mother and father recieved odd results as well, but my father's sibling recieved an incredibly accurate estimate from myheritage, so it can happen. I think 23andme is better more often though.

JFWinstone
12-06-2018, 01:05 PM
23andme seemed more accurate for mine and my parents. Myheritage was good for my father who is mostly NW European, mum and mine were uploads it varied a great bit depending on when it was uploaded and which file was used, the FTDNA file produced very different results to the other files.