PDA

View Full Version : Will you be ordering the FamilyTreeDNA's 'Big Y DNA Test'?

Clinton P
11-14-2013, 03:05 PM
ok - Time for another poll.

FamilyTreeDNA's 'Big Y DNA Test' has this to say about itself:

For men only.
Most comprehensive Y-DNA test available.
Provides your deep ancestral origins.
Uncovers new branches (SNPs) on the paternal tree.
Find recent branches (SNPs) unique to your direct paternal line, your family, or you.
10 million base-pair coverage.
Nearly 25,000 known SNPs tested.
We store your DNA for free, so that you can upgrade the tests in the future.
NO subscription fee.

There is a $200 discount presale making the price $495 (about €370 or £310) until the 1st December 2013, thereafter the price is $695 (about €520 or £440).

I believe there is an additional $50 discount for purchasers of WTY whose orders were not completed.

Other technical specifications are, as yet, still a bit 'fuzzy'.

This poll is to gauge the 'attractiveness' of this latest offering from FamilyTreeDNA.

Whichever way you voted, please feel free to give your opinion as to why you picked the option that you did.

Clinton P

jdean
11-14-2013, 03:11 PM
I believe there is an additional $50 discount for purchasers of WTY whose orders were not completed.

I'm not sure about uncompleted WTY but folk who have a completed WTY definitely get a $50 discount.

I've used mine already : )

MikeWhalen
11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I will not be ordering it...thats alot of money and I am unclear what the benifit will be to a L21-L513 guy like me

...I do get its got an exploring/discovering aspect to it-but the unclarity of end result for that kind of money is unsettling to me...I do my gamboling in office sport pools and I really dont have that much $ to throw down on the testing 'craps' table

-also, $500+ (bet its closer to 600+ CAN$) if I make a snap decision, and $700+ (800ish) if i actually take a bit of time is very close to a salesmans hustle, IMHO...I do like and have a fair amount of confidence in FTdna, but I just dont like that sort of pushy sales game, and it is a pushy sales game, taken right from the used car salesman book---gets my 'Irish up" as my Gma Whalen used to say

I will be honest and say I noted someone that is a very close/good match to my 111 STR results (one of the Ulster Vances, my NPE family), did order and I will be watching their results very closely as I will almost certainly be exactly what they are-so I am catching a break via the coordinated L21 bunches testing efforts
...but it is equally honest for me to say I still would not be getting this test now regardless of others testing for the reasons I noted above

-best of luck to those who do take the risk and do the test!!

Mike

lgmayka
11-14-2013, 04:10 PM
It is true, as usual, that clusters of close 111-marker matches can confidently test SNPs (including Big Y) only once. That is, one cluster member's test results are sufficient.

Sadly, most of us are not that lucky. Many men in my project have no matches anywhere near them--not at 111 markers, not at 67, not at 37, often not even at 25. A fair number have no matches at 12 markers! For these men, Big Y is perhaps their best hope (at an affordable price) for precise placement on the Great Male Reproductive Haplotree of the Entire Human Race.

It is especially important to test relatives who are the last of a patrilineage. For example, I have ordered Big Y for a maternal uncle in his 80s who has no biological sons. He had difficulty understanding why I wanted to spend so much money on him. I had to gently remind him that I have to get all the genetic information I can from him while he's still alive and kicking.

R.Rocca
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I will not be ordering it...thats alot of money and I am unclear what the benifit will be to a L21-L513 guy like me

...I do get its got an exploring/discovering aspect to it-but the unclarity of end result for that kind of money is unsettling to me...I do my gamboling in office sport pools and I really dont have that much $ to throw down on the testing 'craps' table

-also, $500+ (bet its closer to 600+ CAN$) if I make a snap decision, and $700+ (800ish) if i actually take a bit of time is very close to a salesmans hustle, IMHO...I do like and have a fair amount of confidence in FTdna, but I just dont like that sort of pushy sales game, and it is a pushy sales game, taken right from the used car salesman book---gets my 'Irish up" as my Gma Whalen used to say

I will be honest and say I noted someone that is a very close/good match to my 111 STR results (one of the Ulster Vances, my NPE family), did order and I will be watching their results very closely as I will almost certainly be exactly what they are-so I am catching a break via the coordinated L21 bunches testing efforts
...but it is equally honest for me to say I still would not be getting this test now regardless of others testing for the reasons I noted above

-best of luck to those who do take the risk and do the test!!

Mike

Mike, I respect your decision as you have to do what is in your own best interest given your personal circumstances.

However, I don't see the lower entry price in a negative light. To me, it seems to be an acknowledgment that the first batches will be a little riskier and may experience growing pains until their process matures (e.g. delays). I think most that have ordered Big-Y understand that.

MikeWhalen
11-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Hey Richard....your point is quite fair, different slant on it I guess but could easily be the more accurate one

I guess I just dont like timelines much...or am in an ornery mood :)

In any case, I have no doubt those that go for it are going to find some new exciting news so I'm looking forward to the discoveries

Mike

Mike, I respect your decision as you have to do what is in your own best interest given your personal circumstances.

However, I don't see the lower entry price in a negative light. To me, it seems to be an acknowledgment that the first batches will be a little riskier and may experience growing pains until their process matures (e.g. delays). I think most that have ordered Big-Y understand that.

RobertCasey
11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I will not be taking the Big Y since my L226 Full Genomes test is due any day now (batch 4). Since it appears that the FG tests is slightly better in YSNP discovery, the only reason to take the Big Y would be to compare
the true capabilities of both tests. I probably will order a Big Y for my mothers line (via my male first cousin) since this line is stuck at DF27**. There are two other L226 submissions taking the Big Y test which
should help sort out very private YSNPs from larger branches under L226. We are all taking these tests to find new large branches under L226. But these tests will help discover other branches under Z253
and Z2534 as well since L226 is over half of Z253.

MacUalraig
11-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Same as Robert above, already did the FullG. Even if I hadn't, at this stage I would prefer to carry on saving up for the complete test rather than this sort of half- or three-quarters solution (minus the STRs and full mito which would both be new for me too).

"Most comprehensive Y-DNA test available"
Surely that isn't the most comprehensive anywhere? Perhaps they actually mean 'OUR most comprehensive test' since it is clearly not as comprehensive as FullG.

MacUalraig

Wing Genealogist
11-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Has FTDNA reported to anyone which regions of the Y chromosome will be on the Big Y? They should know this answer already, and once the results become available, we should be able to figure it out anyways (but it would be nice if we didn't have to go through this trouble).

Knowing in advance which regions are covered (and which regions are not) will allow us to pinpoint which known SNPs are likely to be included (and more importantly, which known SNPs are likely NOT to be included). Without this information, some folks may end up being disappointed that the test does not reveal whether they are positive/negative for a particular SNP they are interested in.

Solothurn
11-14-2013, 06:02 PM
'Probably not, it's not clear what they are offering'

No funds either sadly :(

I wish I could summon the courage to ask 'my group' to chip in for it! Then again when you tell them it could come back 'empty' it is not a very good sales pitch, especially when one already splashed out on the WTY :(

lgmayka
11-15-2013, 03:50 AM
The best argument for either Big Y or FullGenomes is that "This is the last Y-DNA test you will ever need." Some perfectionists might argue with that, but I myself take the pragmatic position that any branch point worth having in the haplotree will be represented by at least one SNP among the 10 million locations that Big Y will examine.

Timothy
11-15-2013, 06:50 AM
My son-in-law has a Native American (Mexican) paternal line, currently a very old Q-Z780+ (M3-) at Geno 2.0, and I'm going to do a FullGenome on him. However, with limited funds, in an attempt to get his Z780 group off and running, I've donated and committed to testing two Z780 or presumed Z780 in the Q Project for Big Y, Rebekah's choice of pick, and just bought a 3rd Big Y, for my co-worker who (luckily for me) SNP tested Z780 also. I'm hoping that the 3 Big Y's will provide enough SNP structure to allow my SIL's FGC results to build on that. Neither my SIL nor my co-worker have any matches for their 67 STRs, so quite separated in time to a MRCA.

GTC
11-15-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm not rushing into this or any other so-called "full" test at the moment. I prefer to wait until the dust settles and we see what we actually get for the money and how reliable the results are.

And I am not persuaded to buy at a discount before a deadline either. These tests seem to be popping up all over the place so competition should tend to drive the prices down anyway.

Nonetheless, somebody has to be first so good luck to the pioneers!

Wing Genealogist
11-15-2013, 07:24 AM
The best argument for either Big Y or FullGenomes is that "This is the last Y-DNA test you will ever need." Some perfectionists might argue with that, but I myself take the pragmatic position that any branch point worth having in the haplotree will be represented by at least one SNP among the 10 million locations that Big Y will examine.

It is likely the Big Y will be missing some of the "major" SNPs we talk about today (somewhat similar to the chip-based tests missing some of these "major" SNPs, but for different reasons). Ultimately, the Big Y would likely document an individual's SNP mutations to historic time periods. It is up to each individual to determine when "enough is enough".

lgmayka
11-15-2013, 09:06 AM
It is likely the Big Y will be missing some of the "major" SNPs we talk about today (somewhat similar to the chip-based tests missing some of these "major" SNPs, but for different reasons).
I hope that such lack is minimal. Time will tell. As others have said, the $200 early-bird discount is essentially a "risk premium": Early adopters are getting a lower price because they are taking some risk--they don't know exactly what they will get.

PeterSj
11-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Already ordered! Of course, results of FullGenomes test would give me some more raw data. But more important than that is that you need other results to compare to find new SNPs. And the price difference gets more people testing BigY than FullY. In Sweden we already have more than 20 people ordering BigY and so far none, that we know of, ordering FullY.

gottex
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Already ordered! Of course, results of FullGenomes test would give me some more raw data. But more important than that is that you need other results to compare to find new SNPs. And the price difference gets more people testing BigY than FullY. In Sweden we already have more than 20 people ordering BigY and so far none, that we know of, ordering FullY.

Where did you order the test Big Y?

I can not find the link.

Thank you

leonardo
11-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I ordered the test. Time will tell as to what benefits I receive.

leonardo
11-15-2013, 10:58 AM

I can not find the link.

Thank you

I think you have to be an existing customer to order at this time. When I signed in to my account it was being advertised. Also, Igmayka, the administrator of one of the projects I have joined (Polish) sent an email with a link.

PeterSj
11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, you have to be an existing customer and log into your account to see the link. But I suppose FTDNA would be more than happy to help you order even if you are not en existing customer, so contact them at [email protected]

GTC
11-15-2013, 11:13 AM

I can not find the link.

Thank you

When logged into an FTDNA account, a clickable blue notice appears on the front page (see attached image).

GTC
11-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I wish I could summon the courage to ask 'my group' to chip in for it! Then again when you tell them it could come back 'empty' it is not a very good sales pitch, especially when one already splashed out on the WTY :(

WTY, because of its limited scope, was always a crap-shoot. I don't know what the SNP discovery rate per client was but it was known upfront there was a good chance that nothing new would be found in a given case.

By comparison, the scope of The Big Y is massively increased over WTY, so I'd say that the outcome situation is probably the reverse of WTY. Perhaps FTDNA should promote it as "At least one new SNP or your money back!".

And given the number of base pairs they are scanning, I think that only one new SNP for a given client would be a rare outcome. But that remains to be seen ...

lgmayka
11-15-2013, 04:22 PM
If you are an existing customer: Click on "Order An Upgrade", then "Order Special Offers". Then choose "Big Y" from the dropdown list.

If you are a new (potential) customer: You could try calling FTDNA (+1.713.868.1438).

Clinton P
11-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Click here (http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=27) for FamilyTreeDNA's Big Y FAQs

Clinton P

haleaton
11-15-2013, 11:05 PM
WTY, because of its limited scope, was always a crap-shoot. I don't know what the SNP discovery rate per client was but it was known upfront there was a good chance that nothing new would be found in a given case.

By comparison, the scope of The Big Y is massively increased over WTY, so I'd say that the outcome situation is probably the reverse of WTY. Perhaps FTDNA should promote it as "At least one new SNP or your money back!".

And given the number of base pairs they are scanning, I think that only one new SNP for a given client would be a rare outcome. But that remains to be seen ...

Though in my WTY had no new SNPSs found I got a lot of hobbyist enjoyment out of Finch2 and seeing Sanger data. My impression was WTY was based on the Deep Clade testing with expanded and ever expanding coverage--but was already heavily weighted for already sampled regions for the known tree which is biased by people who had already tested--North Americans and Europeans interested in genealogy. We will see if Big Y has the same coverage strategy, greatly expanded but limited in breadth to keep costs down. I could see a completion package offered later to break up costs between years.

VinceT
11-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Probably not for myself. I'm humming and hawing about ordering it for some other kits at FTDNA if there's enough DNA left. I was hoping I wouldn't be faced with this decision for another couple of years when I finally will have outstanding loans paid off and would have the cash to spare. I'll probably end up deferring until then anyway, presuming the launch of BIG Y 2.0.

GTC
11-16-2013, 08:37 AM
I'll probably end up deferring until then anyway, presuming the launch of BIG Y 2.0.

BIG Y Supersize?

leonardo
11-19-2013, 02:33 PM
For those of us who have chosen to test, or will test, there appears to be a fairly good response so far: http://eng.molgen.org/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=1331. I believe the more who test, the better potential there is for new insight and results.

lgmayka
11-19-2013, 05:37 PM
If you are an existing customer: Click on "Order An Upgrade", then "Order Special Offers". Then choose "Big Y" from the dropdown list.
A project member has informed me that he has no "Order Special Offers" button at all. In that case, just use "Order a Standard Test". "Big Y" appears there too.

History-of-Things
11-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi all. I just don't have the time I used to in terms of visiting or posting, but I have ordered the Big Y, and will let you know of the results (due apparently Jan. 6). For reference,I'm R1b L21+ DF21+ L720+. Apparently the most specific SNP is uncommon but present in Northern Ireland, more common in Gaelic Scotland (but maybe only 25,000 people in Britain total--according to estimate from Jim Wilson), and my branch is a colonial offspring of an apparently Hebrides subgroup.

rod
12-14-2013, 08:11 AM
If it was still on sale I'd order it right now.

Solothurn
12-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Let's hope not many order at the full price and they bring back the sale price :)

lgmayka
12-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I know of a couple would-be orders in my project that simply didn't make the deadline.

leonardo
12-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Let's hope not many order at the full price and they bring back the sale price :)

I am torn in this regard. I would like all these tests to be inexpensive, so more take advantage of them. At the same time, the law of supply and demand usually holds true: if these first test results yield useful information for the individuals who tested, then there will likely be an increased demand by those who have yet to test, so they too can reap the benefits. :)

rod
12-14-2013, 10:46 PM

I know of a couple would-be orders in my project that simply didn't make the deadline.

I'd order it today at full price if they would refund the difference if it goes on sale before I receive my results.

seferhabahir
12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes, but I ordered it for someone else who is a direct paternal descendant of my R2 great-great-grandfather (who would be the father-in-law of my avatar to the left) in the hope that something can be learned about the mysterious world of Jewish R2. My R1b-L583 Full Genomes test was in the pipe already, and I wanted to use my $50 WTY discount for something interesting besides redundantly retesting myself with a BIG Y.

Táltos
12-15-2013, 03:42 AM
I would not order it for my brother's kit at this time. I don't think we know enough about our direct paternal line ancestry in the old country. I would rather see people of this haplogroup (Q1b types) get tested first that have specific known ancestry. Our paternal line immigrated to the States in 1909. We had been told growing up that our paternal line was Lithuanian, Polish, with some Mongolian. Never told about any Jewish ancestry. Unfortunately there only looks to be one Q1b1a guy in the Haplogroup Q project taking the test. And I don't think he matches my brother at any level. I am guessing that he is Jewish, though I'm not certain. I did donate a little money toward the project hoping some more might donate toward testing another Q1b type. Any subclade of it would be fine for me. But it doesn't look like anyone else was interested. :(

Rory Cain
12-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Yes, but I ordered it for someone else who is a direct paternal descendant of my R2 great-great-grandfather (who would be the father-in-law of my avatar to the left) in the hope that something can be learned about the mysterious world of Jewish R2. My R1b-L583 Full Genomes test was in the pipe already, and I wanted to use my $50 WTY discount for something interesting besides redundantly retesting myself with a BIG Y.

For the purposes of comparison between two individuals, what concerns me is FTDNA's answer to Q. 9 of their FAQ:

Q: "9. Will my positive and negative SNP results from BIG Y be part of my Haplotree page? faq id: 2213"
A: "Your positive results from the BIG Y test will be included on your Haplotree page. They will be part of your haplogroup determination."

The other (positive) results of the 1st related individual which prove to be negative in the 2nd related individual are equally as important as shared SNPs. However if the negatives are simply not recorded, one will not know whether they were actually negative, or were ambiguous, or just no reads. Without that information we are not getting our full money's worth.

lgmayka
12-23-2013, 03:06 PM
However if the negatives are simply not recorded, one will not know whether they were actually negative, or were ambiguous, or just no reads. Without that information we are not getting our full money's worth.
FTDNA has said that a raw data download willl be available. Thus, experts will be able to distinguish between negative results vs. no-calls.

rms2
12-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I voted yes, but my order will have to wait until I have the money, and Christmas time is not it.

I'll have to save for it, and even when I have enough I won't order it until it goes on sale or the price comes down.

Peter MacDonald
03-01-2014, 12:42 AM
In case anyone is wondering about the Big Y Test release of results today…..it has been very disappointing for pretty much all involved as test results were not delivered as promised today (and a fourth date of "hopeful" release was passed along to customers of the Big Y Test from Nov/Dec 2013..

FTDNA seems very noncommittal in their wording to its customers. Originally Big Y results for many were to be received on 31 Dec 2013. The it was pushed to mid Feb 2014, then to 28 Feb 2014. Now this is the notice that the majority of the Big Y customers received today from FTDNA not through an email but to there account on the FTDNA Website:

“We expect that all samples ordered during the initial sale (last November & December) will be delivered by March 28th. We are processing samples in first come first serve order. If a sample doesn’t pass quality control, we will place it in the next set of results to be processed as long as we have enough DNA sample. If we require an additional sample, we will send a new test kit and place the new sample in the first set to be processed when it is returned.”

The very loose wording at the shows that FTDNA is not guaranteeing delivery of order Big Y test results by 28 March 2014, the they clearly indicate “We expect…”

To find out that the on 28 Feb 2014 that the expected date (which was changed three times to 28 Feb 2014) of 28 Feb 2014 will not be met, however it may are may not be met by 28 March 2014 (even if there are no issues above FTDNA having to process the test) is pretty horrible customer service.

GTC
03-01-2014, 04:01 AM
Frankly, I'm not surprised to hear this. FTDNA's record for estimating and for getting things right the first time is not good. They need to learn that under-promising and over-delivering is far preferable to the opposite.

GailT
03-01-2014, 05:36 AM
In case anyone is wondering about the Big Y Test release of results today…..it has been very disappointing for pretty much all involved as test results were not delivered as promised today (and a fourth date of "hopeful" release was passed along to customers of the Big Y Test from Nov/Dec 2013.”

This was easily predicted (link) (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1567-U152-FTDNA-BIG-Y-DNA-test&p=25836#post25836) based on their track record - it is normal for FTDNA to have delays of several months when a new test or large price reduction is rolled out, and also normal for them to have a lot of disappointed and angry customers. And this is so easily avoided - they could have said sometime between May to June, and then people who received results earlier would have been pleasantly surprised. But perhaps people would be less likely to order a test if the delivery date is estimate to be 3 to 6 months.

Táltos
03-01-2014, 05:43 AM
I third that! ^^^^

jdean
03-01-2014, 10:53 AM
This was easily predicted (link) (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1567-U152-FTDNA-BIG-Y-DNA-test&p=25836#post25836) based on their track record - it is normal for FTDNA to have delays of several months when a new test or large price reduction is rolled out, and also normal for them to have a lot of disappointed and angry customers. And this is so easily avoided - they could have said sometime between May to June, and then people who received results earlier would have been pleasantly surprised. But perhaps people would be less likely to order a test if the delivery date is estimate to be 3 to 6 months.

Indeed !!!

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?2245-Family-Tree-DNA-Product-Launch-Big-Y&p=32269&viewfull=1#post32269

Wulf Talented
03-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I was tempted to order it when it was on sale, but never did - and I'm still not sure what it's purpose truly is. Probably because I don't delve into anthropology and genetics deeply - I only wanted to know who my ancestors were, be it Celt, Roman or Viking.

Exactly what will the Big Y tell you other than a load of SNP's and numbers? Am I right in thinking that these SNP's can trace you back to a certain tribe or something? I understand mutations occur , so do specific isolated tribes a few thousand years back hold mutations within a Haplogroup other tribes wouldn't but still belong to the same Y- Tree and etc?

I no understand...

Peter MacDonald
03-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Follow-up on my last post regarding FTDNA's Big Y Test:

I have received my Big Y Results and am very glad I signed up for the test. Prior to taking the Big Y, I knew that I was L1065. Results have immediately taken me 4 SNPs downstream of L1065. On top of this I have the Big Y has me positive with a high confidence for an additional 82 Novel (variant) SNPs. Once these novel/variant SNPs are compared with the results of others (which may take some time) much will be learned about my paternal linage.

Although the Big Y had a rocky start this time around (remained of Big Y test results are scheduled to be completed prior to 28 March 2014) I am extremely satisfied with the product that FTDNA has created.

Once all the novel/variant SNPs are sorted out, I believe that the Big Y will be the most beneficial genetic genealogy test on the market. From my personal experience with both my currently known results and the expected follow-on information that is expected, I highly recommend this product to anyone interested in their paternal ancestry. Well worth the investment.

Rory Cain
11-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Follow-up on my last post regarding FTDNA's Big Y Test:

I have received my Big Y Results and am very glad I signed up for the test. Prior to taking the Big Y, I knew that I was L1065. Results have immediately taken me 4 SNPs downstream of L1065. On top of this I have the Big Y has me positive with a high confidence for an additional 82 Novel (variant) SNPs. Once these novel/variant SNPs are compared with the results of others (which may take some time) much will be learned about my paternal linage.

Although the Big Y had a rocky start this time around (remained of Big Y test results are scheduled to be completed prior to 28 March 2014) I am extremely satisfied with the product that FTDNA has created.

Once all the novel/variant SNPs are sorted out, I believe that the Big Y will be the most beneficial genetic genealogy test on the market. From my personal experience with both my currently known results and the expected follow-on information that is expected, I highly recommend this product to anyone interested in their paternal ancestry. Well worth the investment.

And Fullgenomes Corp (FGC) product Y Elite 2.0 is better again.

rms2
11-20-2015, 12:11 PM
. . .

I agree. I think the Big Y is worthwhile.

The main problem with it, IMHO, is the price. It's beyond the reach of many people or at least beyond what they are willing to spend. I have a number of close matches with men with my surname or a variant of it who otherwise are not known relatives of mine. Were Big Y available for around $250, I could probably talk at least some of them into going for it. As it now stands, none of them has ordered it, none of them is likely to order it, and I am not willing to buy it for them and risk being murdered by my wife.

Once the price of the Big Y comes down, if that ever happens, then its benefits will begin to become much more apparent than they are now.

George
11-20-2015, 01:08 PM
I agree. I think the Big Y is worthwhile.

The main problem with it, IMHO, is the price. It's beyond the reach of many people or at least beyond what they are willing to spend. I have a number of close matches with men with my surname or a variant of it who otherwise are not known relatives of mine. Were Big Y available for around $250, I could probably talk at least some of them into going for it. As it now stands, none of them has ordered it, none of them is likely to order it, and I am not willing to buy it for them and risk being murdered by my wife.

Once the price of the Big Y comes down, if that ever happens, then its benefits will begin to become much more apparent than they are now.

I would take it if I got the "Mystery reward" for it. But all they gave me was $5 on the 47-67-111 complex (which I took from them ages ago). I suppose they want me to "gift" somebody with this.

Rory Cain
11-26-2015, 09:44 PM
FGC have issued a discount code for $100 off Y Elite.

Rory Cain
03-02-2016, 11:16 PM
In 2006 FTDNA released their Deep Clade product onto the market without the lab capacity to back it up. Customers were kept waiting all of that calendar year fir their results. I suggested that FTDBA take a less adversarial
approach to their competitors and start outsourcing so that at least their customers are kept satisfied.

While that didn't happen, they at least took the hunt about insufficient lab capacity to support their marketing, and purchased DNA Fingerprint from the Krahns and DNA Heritage from a small British outfit.

It is now déjà vu, 2006 all over again, with long lab delays. Every week the expected delivery date of tests gets pushed back by another fortnight. The "expected" delivery dates no longer have any credibility. FTDNA appears slow to recognise these choke-point crises and slow to react.

Despite the (valid) criticisms of long delays at FGC, I would suggest that those criticisms are somewhat negated by FTDNA's current inability to meet "expected" delivery dates. Right now you will wait as long at FTDNA as you would at FGC, and FGC delivers more SNPs in their Y Elite than does Big Y.

Abdulaziz
03-03-2016, 07:09 AM
I want to order the Big-Y test for several persons, but I will wait for the release of the BAM files first.
If they are not planning to provide BAM files again, I will be 100% switching to Y Elite.

Rory Cain
03-03-2016, 08:33 PM
As I understand it, faster upgrading their storage and retrieval capability, FTDNA will return to releasing .bam files but in a modified format that strips them of Y111, mtDNA, etc. Yfull providing reports that include Y111 and mtDNA are seen as competing with FTDNA sales of those products. FTDNA want the customer to pay again for those so they make further sales.

gotten
03-03-2016, 09:51 PM
FTDNA will return to releasing .bam files but in a modified format that strips them of Y111, mtDNA, etc.

Do you have a source regarding the removal of STRs ? They haven't included the mtDNA since April 2015.

Rory Cain
03-04-2016, 02:47 AM
Waiting for a further Big Y (over) due now for a member of my group, in order to confirm.

DBowden
03-20-2016, 06:02 PM
I ordered mine.
Per FTDNA it was batched on 3/2