PDA

View Full Version : 23 & Me's DNA melody

MikeWhalen
08-19-2012, 06:31 PM
appearantly, 23 & me just recently rolled out a new 'lab' for its customers...one that turns your DNA into a unique melody

anyone here have luck with it yet? I clicked on my to get it, and it says it takes around 24 hrs to do, that was around 90 hours ago :)

maybe just slow due to initial flood?

Mike

MJost
08-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I just tried mine earlier and it still states the same thing.

MJost

Ezana
08-19-2012, 07:27 PM
When I tried it a week or two ago it worked fine and almost instantaneously. Maybe demand is higher now?

Scarlet Ibis
08-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Hmmm...I checked just now, and it's working for me. Maybe they're still in the process of loading it into everyone's accounts? Not sure.

Day Tripper
08-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Uh oh...Mines sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV0YXXyuHc

ilmari
08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Mine worked fine a week or so ago, I was even sending out requests on how to play me vs others at the same time.

The suggestion was to have my usual Firefox open and open Chrome and play them simultaneously.

I've not done that yet, but I've played them individually so far. Pretty fun, actually.

soulblighter
08-20-2012, 03:26 AM
We ask for better ancestry tools, and get this garbage. Thank you 23andme!

DMXX
08-20-2012, 03:55 AM

Though not with the same strength (it's an oddly satisfying tool to "fiddle" with - pun intended :P), I do agree.

23andMe continue to offer quick-appeal "populist" items instead of new ancestry features.

Relative Finder face-lift instead of adding new reference populations.

"Neanderthal" calculator instead of updating Y-DNA and mtDNA in tow with ISOGG.

A shinier-looking main page (per Beta screenshots) rather than shaking up their Ancestry Painting, which is basically a K=3 ADMIXTURE.

What's next, "How Denisovan Is Your Left Toe?". ([Edit]: I'd actually like to know now...)

thetick
08-20-2012, 04:12 AM

Typical 23andme. Don't get me wrong they have some pretty nice tools and downloadable raw data. Basically 23andme said let us pick a cool, hip, very easy to implement sudo ancestry tool , so it looks like we are busy. Note I'm a software engineer and would be thrilled to have input on 23andme's ancestry decisions.

zaender
08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
this is, what I posted on molgen:

"I once had to phone all day to an employee of our city magistrate and began to finally hum his telephone number. It reminded me of a possible Gamelan melody ( 2 2 1 2 3 6 5 3 ) so I made a complete new composition out of it ( "Bauunga haldung" ) and when we performed that piece, I invited that rather confused man, who did not understand that honour.

So I was curious about the announcement of an own melody (who knows what to do with it), but to be true, there is nothing, I can do with it. It is neither fun nor serious, although I still would like to know the generating criteria."

most tools are heading only pure distraction, not real information!

MikeWhalen
08-20-2012, 09:31 PM
mabe 23 & me's lasers, centrifuges and other high tech stuff went blewey and caused a minor tear in the space time continum, thus accounting for the longest 24 hour period yet recorded in this decade
maybe I should start up a pool, 1 buck for a 6 hour timeslot of your choice over the next 7 days as to when their 'special' 24 hrs are really up and they deliver what was promised

M

Yorkie
08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
I've tried mine and it is a cheerful, almost merry little tune, evoking a snatch of an English folk-song. How perfectly delightful. Is this supposed to reflect the overall 'character' of my genome? Are there any 23andMe customers whose genomic tunes are dischordant and less sprightly in tone, like a screech of Stockhausen, a snatch of a harrowing Bartok Quartet, or a blast of Metallica? It would be amusing if there were.

DMXX
08-30-2012, 08:07 AM
I've tried mine and it is a cheerful, almost merry little tune, evoking a snatch of an English folk-song. How perfectly delightful. Is this supposed to reflect the overall 'character' of my genome? Are there any 23andMe customers whose genomic tunes are dischordant and less sprightly in tone, like a screech of Stockhausen, a snatch of a harrowing Bartok Quartet, or a blast of Metallica? It would be amusing if there were.

I noticed quite a few of the Near-Eastern ones sound like nursery rhymes. Not sure if the folks they belonged to would be pleased with that or not.

Mine (which you can listen to here (https://www.23andme.com/published/labs/music/726e742d2bf047e3/7639543a7fee558a/)) does sound like a genuine South-Central Asian folk song on the Sitar. Maybe there is a chance reflection of one's ancestry in some?

MikeWhalen
08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Well, I got mine, finally....it sounds a bit like the sort of tune they would use in the old bugs bunny cartoons when someone (Yosemite Sam or Elmer Fud) is earnestly puttering away at something-hopefully I'm closer to Sam
"Carnsarned Idjit Rabbit!"

I sorta wish they had cheated and peeked at my terminal snp's...give me a jauntly little Irish reel or some such

M

MikeWhalen
08-30-2012, 08:35 PM
btw-does anyone know a work around to actually save the music to your own HD so you can play it or send it whenever and not travel to the 23& me site?

thx

Mike

Yorkie
08-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I noticed quite a few of the Near-Eastern ones sound like nursery rhymes. Not sure if the folks they belonged to would be pleased with that or not.

Mine (which you can listen to here (https://www.23andme.com/published/labs/music/726e742d2bf047e3/7639543a7fee558a/)) does sound like a genuine South-Central Asian folk song on the Sitar. Maybe there is a chance reflection of one's ancestry in some?

Mine sounds like a snatch of Vaughan-Williams and yours like Ravi Shankar. ;)