PDA

View Full Version : Sephardi Jew Living DNA results

DR2001
11-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Sephardi Jew from Morocco, later converso ancestry from North Iberia.

European 70.9%
63.4% Iberian peninsula
Sardinian 7.6%

Near East 25.8%
Levant 23.4%
Iran 2.4%

North African 3.2%

jonahst
11-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Wow, very interesting. Do you know what company the raw data was?

hartaisarlag
11-25-2018, 12:48 AM
Also, what's the nature of this North Iberian converso ancestry? Always curious about specific regional Iberian roots among Sephardim.

DR2001
11-25-2018, 05:41 AM
Also, what's the nature of this North Iberian converse ancestry? Always curious about specific regional Iberian roots among Sephardim.

Either Cantabria-Asturia or Galicia. not quite sure from where. I have basque matches as well but I think that's from my dad side and more ancient.

DR2001
11-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Wow, very interesting. Do you know what company the raw data was?

FTDNA why?

jonahst
11-25-2018, 05:59 AM
FTDNA why?

Because my FTDNA upload gave me similarly-homogeneous results compared to my original Living DNA results and my parents' results from 23andMe and Ancestry:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14841-LivingDNA-Partnering-with-FindMyPast&p=520103&viewfull=1#post520103

Are these your results? I'm surprised that you got so much Iberia and no "Italian" of any sort. What were your results on FTDNA?

DR2001
11-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Because my FTDNA upload gave me similarly-homogeneous results compared to my original Living DNA results and my parents' results from 23andMe and Ancestry:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14841-LivingDNA-Partnering-with-FindMyPast&p=520103&viewfull=1#post520103

Are these your results? I'm surprised that you got so much Iberia and no "Italian" of any sort. What were your results on FTDNA?

Yes these are my results. I Donít see why I should get Italian. My family was in Iberia almost 2000 years.

johnthe
12-29-2018, 01:55 AM
I think the other poster is referring to Italian dna , mainly southern Italian, being confluenced with Sephardic populations and north Italian dna being lumped into the Iberian category at times.

curiousDNAguy12
11-14-2019, 01:32 AM

I'm Jewish, and uploaded my data to living dna as well

Are there any more recent threads for jewish living dna results?

hartaisarlag
11-14-2019, 01:52 AM
I frankly don't understand why people are so interested in Living DNA's results. What do they add to the picture?

curiousDNAguy12
11-14-2019, 01:57 AM
I frankly don't understand why people are so interested in Living DNA's results. What do they add to the picture?

i definitely take it with a grain of salt
it's interesting to see how they interpret/open up the jewish category from ancestry

hartaisarlag
11-14-2019, 02:08 AM
i definitely take it with a grain of salt
it's interesting to see how they interpret/open up the jewish category from ancestry

We have good enough modeling tools at this point to circumvent whatever opaque, probably historically agnostic models Living DNA is using. And besides, lately, 23andMe's approach to non-Ashkenazi Jews has gotten pretty interesting, and I trust their science more than whoever David and Hannah Nicholson are.

Seabass
11-14-2019, 02:35 AM
I still think 23andme has a long way to go. The results of samaritans and western Jews showing a whole diverse array of MENA ancestral Dna needs some explaining for sure. Also in theory, if 23andme ancestry composition is not meant to stretch further back than 500 years ago, why would be expect both levantine and Italian ancestry in Western Jews? You would expect instead the really lame result of more 'unassigned' or 'broadly' this that and the other. I think when dna companies utilitise ancient dna and properly quarantine dna segments at a time with statistical probability methods like 23andme is doing there could be some pretty meaningful results.

The Western Jewish clientele may find thr last few hundred years interesting but it's the origins dating back two millennium which might be of more interest. Where did we spawn from?

hartaisarlag
11-14-2019, 02:43 AM
I still think 23andme has a long way to go. The results of samaritans and western Jews showing a whole diverse array of MENA ancestral Dna needs some explaining for sure. Also in theory, if 23andme ancestry composition is not meant to stretch further back than 500 years ago, why would be expect both levantine and Italian ancestry in Western Jews? You would expect instead the really lame result of more 'unassigned' or 'broadly' this that and the other. I think when dna companies utilitise ancient dna and properly quarantine dna segments at a time with statistical probability methods like 23andme is doing there could be some pretty meaningful results.

The Western Jewish clientele may find thr last few hundred years interesting but it's the origins dating back two millennium which might be of more interest. Where did we spawn from?

I agree with you. At this point, though, we are not far from having the complete set of ancient genomes we need to start answering those questions definitively (I'm also very bullish on deep uniparental phylogenies as a tool for this).

Adamm
11-14-2019, 03:20 AM
I wouldnt take these results serious, livingDNA doesnt understand North African / Iberian DNA.