PDA

View Full Version : Confused about MyHeritage results from my 23andme v5 upload

ianz91
11-26-2018, 04:45 PM

How accurate is MyHeritage when it comes to DNA uploads? I once uploaded my FTDNA results to MyHeritage and got around 3% Middle East, now as you can see it's West Asian. Back on 23andme v4 I did the same but it showed nothing non-European. I just came from a thread started by Ahmed Hirad, of Somali background, and he is also confused by his results.

Koolmets21
11-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Not very accurate

rothaer
11-26-2018, 04:51 PM

How accurate is MyHeritage when it comes to DNA uploads? I once uploaded my FTDNA results to MyHeritage and got around 3% Middle East, now as you can see it's West Asian. Back on 23andme v4 I did the same but it showed nothing non-European. I just came from a thread started by Ahmed Hirad, of Somali background, and he is also confused by his results.

23andMe V5 data is from the GSA chip, while 23andMe V4, MyHeritage, FTDNA and AncestryDNA data is from the OmniExpress chip. The chips have abt. 700.000 SNPs each, but the overlap in SNPs are poor some 150.000 SNPs. This suggests, using the V5 data at MyHeritage, there is just a small number of SNPs evaluated compared to OmniExpress data, which do give poor grounds for the result.

ianz91
11-26-2018, 05:11 PM
Maybe MyHeritage thinks the 3% broadly southern European on my 23andme is actually West Asian?

Dorkymon
11-26-2018, 06:31 PM

I don't really know how to reply since you didn't provide any background about your known ancestry and/or a screenshot from 23andme.

My guess is that they gave you slightly more Northern shifted Euro ancestry and compensated that with West Asian.

rothaer
11-26-2018, 08:29 PM
My guess is that they gave you slightly more Northern shifted Euro ancestry and compensated that with West Asian.

This is actually exactly how things often work!

Nino90
11-26-2018, 08:32 PM
I don't think it is accurate at all. Uploaded my 23andme V5 and it said i was 81% Scandinavian when real ancestry is around 50%.

Ruderico
11-27-2018, 02:24 AM
Well at least you didn't score the infamous 1% Nigerian, but it's still a bit rubbish. Ever since I saw a native Portuguese get nearly 30% Scandinavian I stopped trusting their ancestry breakdown altogether..it's almost worth printing it only to use it as toilet paper (I jest, of course)

ianz91
11-27-2018, 02:52 AM
I don't really know how to reply since you didn't provide any background about your known ancestry and/or a screenshot from 23andme.

My known ancestry: Mainly Southwestern German, Scots-Irish, and English. With some Danish, Norwegian, and Hungarian. The Hungarian has yet to be confirmed though.

Here are my 23andme results

Nino90
11-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Well at least you didn't score the infamous 1% Nigerian, but it's still a bit rubbish. Ever since I saw a native Portuguese get nearly 30% Scandinavian I stopped trusting their ancestry breakdown altogether..it's almost worth printing it only to use it as toilet paper (I jest, of course)

I find it strange that most big DNA-companies can't give good ancestry breakdowns. While Gedmatch + Other free sites give you much better and more informative results.

msmarjoribanks
11-27-2018, 12:15 PM
It depends what you want. For "where did my ancestors come from before the US," 23andMe and Ancestry are quite good. Ancestry currently has a British Isles/NW Euro bias, which happens to correspond with my ancestry, but it wasn't really off before, just boringly general (I had about twice my real Scandinavian and then a large amount of Europe West in lieu of anything more specific).

23andMe (roughly):

49% British/Irish (UK highly likely,Ireland not detected -- this is a change, I used to have one dot for Ireland; I also have a higher percentage of British/Irish, but they consistently give me the most certainty for UK -- 5 dots and now highly likely, so it does seem to recognize that)
18% French and German (Germany possible, nothing else detected -- German is the most significant, I have a tiny amount of French that could show up)
11% Scandinavian (they now say they can't be specific, I used to have three dots for Sweden, which was right, and two for Norway, which was not, my actual ancestry is 1/8, so 11% is maybe a bit low but you don't get the same amount of genes from all gg-grandparents, of course)

Then broadly NW Europe 18%

Everything else is trace

This is about right except I have some Ulster Irish that you'd think would show up as Irish (both it and my Welsh ancestry seem to at Ancestry), and I have a little bit of French and perhaps some Dutch that are in the German/French estimate without being specifically detected.

Ancestry:

69% British and other NW Europe (German seems to be here)
23% Irish/Scottish (Welsh seems to be here)
8% Swedish (low)

Given the limits of these tests and the difficulty of separating out a mix of British Isles, Swedish, German, I think it's reasonable.

Gedmatch (Eurogenes EUTest K15):

# Population Percent
1 North_Sea 32.18
2 Atlantic 26.52
3 Baltic 12.54
4 Eastern_Euro 10.12
5 West_Med 8.07
6 West_Asian 5.74
7 East_Med 2.02
8 South_Asian 1.6
9 Amerindian 0.8
10 Oceanian 0.39
11 Northeast_African 0.01

Single Population Sharing:
# Population (source) Distance
1 North_German 2.62
2 Danish 4.99
3 South_Dutch 5.05
4 North_Dutch 5.41
5 Southeast_English 5.46
6 Southwest_English 5.81
7 Irish 6.06
8 West_Scottish 6.65
9 West_German 6.94
10 Norwegian 7.94

Is that more accurate or just different?

Two populations just seems like speculation (it's whatever makes the numbers come out lower based on fewer samples)
# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 61.4% Orcadian + 38.6% Austrian @ 1.88
2 76.9% Irish + 23.1% Moldavian @ 1.91
3 96.3% North_German + 3.7% Sardinian @ 1.92
4 72.7% North_German + 27.3% South_Dutch @ 1.95
5 75.1% West_Scottish + 24.9% Moldavian @ 1.98

Not intended as a slam on Gedmatch, I just think they are doing different things and people take the various ethnicities that get thrown up in their results lists too seriously sometimes.

mildlycurly
11-27-2018, 12:25 PM
While I scored no West Asian on Myheritage, my understanding is that West Asian does not include Arab. I score higher than usual for English/Irish amounts of WA on GEDmatch and my oracles usually come up as Caucasian as opposed to Arab. For example, my top mixed mode match on World9 is 91.6% Orcadian (HGDP) + 8.4% Uzbekistan_Jews at 0.4, with the rest being Caucasian, Turkic and Mountain/Mizrahi Jewish.

So I can't think of a reason why it would read broadly Southern European as West Asian. Mind you, the same site gave me 1.4% Balkan which I'm still confused about. Does it correlate to the 2% South Euro (Northern Italian) I get on DNA Land or my Romani ancestry?

Nino90
11-27-2018, 12:52 PM
It depends what you want. For "where did my ancestors come from before the US," 23andMe and Ancestry are quite good. Ancestry currently has a British Isles/NW Euro bias, which happens to correspond with my ancestry, but it wasn't really off before, just boringly general (I had about twice my real Scandinavian and then a large amount of Europe West in lieu of anything more specific).

23andMe (roughly):

49% British/Irish (UK highly likely,Ireland not detected -- this is a change, I used to have one dot for Ireland; I also have a higher percentage of British/Irish, but they consistently give me the most certainty for UK -- 5 dots and now highly likely, so it does seem to recognize that)
18% French and German (Germany possible, nothing else detected -- German is the most significant, I have a tiny amount of French that could show up)
11% Scandinavian (they now say they can't be specific, I used to have three dots for Sweden, which was right, and two for Norway, which was not, my actual ancestry is 1/8, so 11% is maybe a bit low but you don't get the same amount of genes from all gg-grandparents, of course)

Then broadly NW Europe 18%

Everything else is trace

This is about right except I have some Ulster Irish that you'd think would show up as Irish (both it and my Welsh ancestry seem to at Ancestry), and I have a little bit of French and perhaps some Dutch that are in the German/French estimate without being specifically detected.

Ancestry:

69% British and other NW Europe (German seems to be here)
23% Irish/Scottish (Welsh seems to be here)
8% Swedish (low)

Given the limits of these tests and the difficulty of separating out a mix of British Isles, Swedish, German, I think it's reasonable.

Gedmatch (Eurogenes EUTest K15):

# Population Percent
1 North_Sea 32.18
2 Atlantic 26.52
3 Baltic 12.54
4 Eastern_Euro 10.12
5 West_Med 8.07
6 West_Asian 5.74
7 East_Med 2.02
8 South_Asian 1.6
9 Amerindian 0.8
10 Oceanian 0.39
11 Northeast_African 0.01

Single Population Sharing:
# Population (source) Distance
1 North_German 2.62
2 Danish 4.99
3 South_Dutch 5.05
4 North_Dutch 5.41
5 Southeast_English 5.46
6 Southwest_English 5.81
7 Irish 6.06
8 West_Scottish 6.65
9 West_German 6.94
10 Norwegian 7.94

Is that more accurate or just different?

Two populations just seems like speculation (it's whatever makes the numbers come out lower based on fewer samples)
# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 61.4% Orcadian + 38.6% Austrian @ 1.88
2 76.9% Irish + 23.1% Moldavian @ 1.91
3 96.3% North_German + 3.7% Sardinian @ 1.92
4 72.7% North_German + 27.3% South_Dutch @ 1.95
5 75.1% West_Scottish + 24.9% Moldavian @ 1.98

Not intended as a slam on Gedmatch, I just think they are doing different things and people take the various ethnicities that get thrown up in their results lists too seriously sometimes.

Of course you need to understand the way Gedmatch works.
And don't always take it literally. I often get Dutch as reference population on gedmatch because I am a mix of South And North Europe. That does not mean I am dutch.

But because all DNA-companies has majority of North West European samples and users I think they got a hard time to give everybody accurate results.

I scored 20% Tuscan when I Uploaded my 23andme V5 on Livingdna. On 23andme I got 4% Italian. Same as Myheritage.
FTDNA gave me atlest 19% South European.

While on some gedmatch calculators i got good balance like around 60+% North Europe + 40% North Italian/Spanish that is way more accurate than any of above.

cvolt
11-27-2018, 05:16 PM
I did the actual MyHeritage test and also uploaded my 23andMe and AncestryDNA data. The results were quite different, and both inaccurate. My results were more accurate before MyHeritage updated, oddly enough.

msmarjoribanks
11-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Of course you need to understand the way Gedmatch works.
And don't always take it literally. I often get Dutch as reference population on gedmatch because I am a mix of South And North Europe. That does not mean I am dutch.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying too.

I can't really compare the accuracy of the Gedmatch calculators with the major companies, since I think they are doing different things. (I do think some calculators are better than others.)

I think Gedmatch is more sensitive to identifying southern or eastern in northern or western Europeans, but one issue with that is that in many cases those are there even without southern or eastern ancestry.

I obviously get some southern and eastern possibilities with Gedmatch, but that's when combined with very northern or western results usually. My closest results are Northern German and Dutch, but my actual biggest components are SW England, Sweden, and W or SW Germany, so comparing my numbers with the spreadsheet, you get:

Me/SW England/Sweden/W Germany
1 North_Sea 32/35/39/34
2 Atlantic 27/29/23/22
3 Baltic 13/10/16/10
4 Eastern_Euro 10/8/11/8
5 West_Med 8/11/5/11
6 West_Asian 6/4/3/5
7 East_Med 2/2/1/6

So my numbers aren't particularly surprising at all, yet the tendency at Gedmatch is exaggerate the extremes sometimes and so to find a number of explanations that are further apart (Irish/Moldavian, N German/Sardinian). You happen to be a mix of somewhat further apart areas (quite far north + southern), so it makes sense that works for you better, but so many people seem to assume that they must take it literally when they get even quite small percentages suggested repeatedly, when it could mean nothing.

I think MyHeritage may be prone to this kind of thing too, but my bigger problem with it is that it seems to overemphasize certain results (and that it seems to vary based on when you uploaded). Like everyone getting 1-2% Nigerian for a while, and now a lot of people seem to get inexplicable Balkan or Greek.

greerpalmer
11-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Take every ethnicity estimate with a grain of salt, particularly uploads to MyHeritage at this time.

I have 2-3 kits for each person in my family, all of which vary a bit, and you'll notice if you upload the same data multiple times the algorithm will give slightly different estimates.

For illustration:

My Mother:
Known Ancestry
>50% Irish, Scottish and English (~38% Irish)
12.5% Bavarian
12.5% Alsace-Lorrainian
<25% Misc German

MyHeritage Estimate
72.5% English
13.5% North/West European
12.9% Balkan
1.1% Eastern European

My Father:
Known Ancestry
31.25% Cornish (English)
12.5% Saxon (NNW German)
12.5% Mecklenburger (NNE German)
25% SW German/Swiss
12.5% Dutch
6.25% Irish

MyHeritage Estimate
39.3% Scandinavian
29.4% English
7.1% Irish
5.8% Iberian
4.0% Greek
9.3% Baltic
4.1% Ashkenazi
1.0% Central Asian

My Results:
72.8% English
6.6% Iberian
6.4% Italian
12.1% Baltic
2.1% North African

I think most apparent is my mother gets no Irish yet has 1000 more Irish matches than any other group according to MyHeritage. As you can see I don't appear to inherit any of my mother's Balkan and Eastern European or my father's Greek, Askenazi, Central Asian, Irish or Scandinavian (which is technically possible). Additionally, I get Italian whereas my parents do not (a mix of Iberian and Balkan can do this), North African where as my parents do not, and I even ave more Iberian than my father. Some of these flaws will be common across all testing services and some are more specific to MyHeritage.