PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help, African segment.

Boudicca
11-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi,
Can anyone help me with this; I have attached 3 chromosome paintings of my mother's data. Two are from Doug both using the build 36 FTDNA data. The one labelled "old" was done last year and "new" a few weeks ago. The old painting shows an African segment on chr 11 which disappears on the new painting. I have also attached an image of the same segment that is picked up by Ancestry Composition. The segment appears across the Gedmatch chromosome paintings and is actually shared with a cousin match there who has Deep South ancestry.
I have managed to locate some rare SNPs in this location using SPSmart that my mother has eg where she is C/T C/C=100% of Europeans and Asians and 80% of Africans with 18% of Yoruba getting C/T and 2% of Yoruba getting T/T. I was told that there is a good chance this segment is real but after the latest Doug painting I'm not sure! Which analysis is the best for reflecting true segments?

Kwheaton
11-18-2013, 03:03 PM
I have no recent experience with Doug's analysis but given you have used SNPSmart and confirmed these AND they show on 23andMe I would conclude they are real. it may be that Doug dropped off the threshold for showing those segments. Best bet is to ask him.
Kelly