PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about my LivingDNA results - quite confused

Jericho
12-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Just receive my results, and I'm quite confused about few things.
A premise: me and my family always lived, since we know (we trace back until XVI century), in this area near Naples, Italy. It was the land of Oscans (Atella), then Etruscan people, then colonized by Greeks and Romans. This area also has been conquered by Longobards and Normans, and the last ones founded few cities in the same area
Now: from where it comes out the Basque ancestry? What about the Pashtun?
I was expecting a way higher ancestry from the Levant, along with a strong Greek component and even north african influences.
Also, what about the Y-DNA? R1a is one of the rarest haplogroups in Italy, only present in the north-east region. Maybe is it from Longobards or Normans?

Thanks in advance.

Jericho
12-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Some other pics:

euasta
12-13-2018, 01:47 PM
A premise: me and my family always lived, since we know (we trace back until XVI century), in this area near Naples, Italy. It was the land of Oscans (Atella), then Etruscan people, then colonized by Greeks and Romans. This area also has been conquered by Longobards and Normans, and the last ones founded few cities in the same area
I was expecting a way higher ancestry from the Levant, along with a strong Greek component and even north african influences.
Also, what about the Y-DNA? R1a is one of the rarest haplogroups in Italy, only present in the north-east region. Maybe is it from Longobards or Normans?
Thanks in advance.
They say the margin of error would be about <5%. Everyone has doubts about their results :\ and some even did the test twice and received very - very different results! ...
So... let's look at a movie, because maybe we'll understand something? ...

https://youtu.be/yvS2gjMMXBQ

JoeyP37
12-13-2018, 02:38 PM
It's too bad they didn't give you your R1a subclade, that would have answered more questions, right now it could be Molise Croats, Lombards, maybe Greek-mediated. I am also R1a, but of German male-line origin, where it is the third most common haplogroup.

artemv
12-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks in advance.

R1a is a happlogroup that is almost 30 000 years old. You cannot say much about where it came from if all you know is R1a, without knowing the subclade.
I guess there are 2 possibilities:
- it can happen that just some random error happened on their side and they didn't recognize the Y-happlogroup they usually recognize;
- it can happen that you have some rare subclade of R1a, that they are just unable to recognize.

Just try to download the list of Y-SNPs from 'download raw data'. Maybe this will give you some additional data.
If not - try to write to their support.

Your basque and pashtun ancestry is just their error. Many users get strange results like yours.