PDA

View Full Version : Sardinian

digital_noise
01-02-2019, 06:17 PM
I have raw data transfers for FTDNA, Ancestry, 23, My Heritage on DNA.Land. All have Sardinian as an ethnicity.

FTDNA-11%
Ancestry-9%
23/Me- 14%
My Heritage- 4%

Their reference population description doesnt help as it only says Sardinian (and NOT Tunisina, Italian etc...)

Anyone have any input on what the heck this is all about? Are they looking deeper into the past? The only thing I can think of is it relating to South Italian or possibly French, both of which I have. However the 25% Italian I have is covered by Med. Islander and I am only roughly 6% French and thats French Canadian...And French on DNA.Land is covered under the SW Europe, which i also score between 2 and 5% across the tests

JerryS.
01-02-2019, 07:47 PM
I think Sardinia has DNA that is unique all to its own that sets it aside from the rest of the Mediterranean.

ADW_1981
01-02-2019, 07:58 PM
My aunt's data shows as Sardinian 0.1% on the v3 chip over at 23andMe. It doesn't look like my father inherited that small segment though. As an aside, my father's side, more so my paternal grandmother were very aquiline featured, which are features more common in places like Iberia and Italy, yet they were SW British. Perhaps it's a relic of the earliest farmers, as I suspect this was a physical feature. Shows up 0% Ashkenazi though, which was expected but could not be ruled out.

digital_noise
01-02-2019, 08:03 PM
I think Sardinia has DNA that is unique all to its own that sets it aside from the rest of the Mediterranean.

yes, so this consistent component that pops up (only on DNA.Land) is either bullsh*t or they are able to dig up something that nobody else has or can. i suspect BS but everything else is pretty consistent and accurate...

JerryS.
01-03-2019, 02:19 AM
yes, so this consistent component that pops up (only on DNA.Land) is either bullsh*t or they are able to dig up something that nobody else has or can. i suspect BS but everything else is pretty consistent and accurate...

my guess is that Sardegna is the truest modern Italian DNA that reflects the old stuff. North Italian has some German, French and even a little Slavic, while South Italian has noticeable Greek...…. I suppose its [Sardinia] isolation kept its DNA "the purest" version? there are some Sardinian populations that show up on some of the GEDmatch calculators too.

casteneda
01-03-2019, 03:34 AM
I have raw data transfers for FTDNA, Ancestry, 23, My Heritage on DNA.Land. All have Sardinian as an ethnicity.

FTDNA-11%
Ancestry-9%
23/Me- 14%
My Heritage- 4%

Their reference population description doesnt help as it only says Sardinian (and NOT Tunisina, Italian etc...)

Anyone have any input on what the heck this is all about? Are they looking deeper into the past? The only thing I can think of is it relating to South Italian or possibly French, both of which I have. However the 25% Italian I have is covered by Med. Islander and I am only roughly 6% French and thats French Canadian...And French on DNA.Land is covered under the SW Europe, which i also score between 2 and 5% across the tests

That's funny that you posted this, as I was going to ask a similar question today.
Over the past six months of DNA testing, I've noticed Sardinian DNA pop up on these tests for me:

DNA Land: 18%
My Heritage: 15.8%
We Gene: 14.18%
Family Tree DNA: 28% Southeast Europe (Sardinia?)
GED Match (Eurogenes K36: Italian 8.14%, West Mediterranean: 5.65%)

But then,
23andMe: 1.9% Italian (0% Sardinian--however, 6.7% Broadly Southern European)
Ancestry.com: Initially 15% Southern European, but after new update, all Southern European went away except for 1% Greece and The Balkans (0% Sardinian).

I'm confused because the more "reputable" sites like 23andme and ancestry.com (I put this in quote because the new ethnicity updates in Ancestry.com seem way off to me) show no Sardinia, but I get these other sites that show a high % of Sardinian DNA, especially DNA Land, My Heritage, and We Gene.

I'm certain that I have at least a little bit of Italian dna. However, as of now, I'm not familiar of any relatives from the island of Sardinia. I'm wondering how serious to take these fairly high %'s of Sardinia dna on some of the tests. If there is truth that I do have roots in Sardinia, or could the % in some of the test be confused with another ethnicity? My grandparents from my father's side immigrated here from Croatia, so could the companies be confusing Croatian DNA with Sardinian DNA?

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this as well.