PDA

View Full Version : Chromosome linked to a specific ethnic

anderson.clayton
01-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Hello all!

Is there a way to find out which chromosome is linked to a specific ethnic?

Thank you.

spruithean
01-04-2019, 02:25 PM
No. Autosomal chromosomes are shuffled and jumbled with each generation. Also DNA does not equal ethnicity.

Geborgenheit
01-05-2019, 11:14 PM
MyHeritage does not show ethnicity for each chromosome, but some Gedmatch tools show it, 23&me shows ethnicities for each chromosome, etc...

geebee
01-06-2019, 01:05 AM
Although it can be confusing, there is a reason why some companies prefer to speak of a person's ancestries rather than their ethnicities. Your "ancestries" in this sense might be thought of as the ethnicities of your ancestors, which you are not necessarily part of.

Your "ancestries" in this sense are directly connected to the individual ancestors who were of this or that ethnicity. Therefore, in that sense they are connected to the specific segments you inherited from those ancestors. So -- presumably -- each of the seven segments that 23andMe identifies as "Native American" must have been inherited from one or the other of my two most recent Native American ancestors. That is, as long as 23andMe has correctly identified them.

One such ancestor is on my maternal grandfather's side; and the other is on my maternal grandmother's side. While I can't say with absolute certainty that these segments did come from these two ancestors, in several cases it's clear that they are at least associated with the right cousins for it to be possible.

For example, I have a segment on the q arm of chromosome 15 that 23andMe identifies as "Native American". I also have a matching segment with a 3rd cousin at the same location. I say "3rd cousin", but he's actually related to me through both of his parents. He's a 3rd cousin through his father, who is a 2nd cousin once removed to me; and a 3rd cousin once removed through his mother, who is also my 3rd cousin.

Anyway, this cousin has about 4% Native American ancestry, as contrasted with my 2%. But, that may in part be because he has more lines of descent from a particular shared Native American ancestor. (Magdalaine Pany Baudreau -- or rather, her mother, since Magdalaine herself was half French through her father Jean Baptiste Baudreau.)

The point is, though, that there's at least a possibility that the segment was handed down from this ancestor. (And likely preserved in part due to intermarriages among some of her descendants.)

So, yes, some companies do show where on the chromosomes various ancestries are believed to be connected to. Most do not, but only give percentages.

msmarjoribanks
01-06-2019, 02:45 AM
On 23andMe, 50% of my X chromosomes (shows as all of one of them, but I'm not sure they know it's all from the same one) is British and Irish. Of the remaining 50%, half is shown as Scandinavian (likely Swedish), and half is broadly NW Europe. That's cool, since I know from FTDNA matches that one half of the X I inherited from my mom is from her paternal grandmother, who was 100% Swedish. So I have confirmation of the 23andMe designation.

anderson.clayton
01-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Although it can be confusing, there is a reason why some companies prefer to speak of a person's ancestries rather than their ethnicities. Your "ancestries" in this sense might be thought of as the ethnicities of your ancestors, which you are not necessarily part of.

Your "ancestries" in this sense are directly connected to the individual ancestors who were of this or that ethnicity. Therefore, in that sense they are connected to the specific segments you inherited from those ancestors. So -- presumably -- each of the seven segments that 23andMe identifies as "Native American" must have been inherited from one or the other of my two most recent Native American ancestors. That is, as long as 23andMe has correctly identified them.

One such ancestor is on my maternal grandfather's side; and the other is on my maternal grandmother's side. While I can't say with absolute certainty that these segments did come from these two ancestors, in several cases it's clear that they are at least associated with the right cousins for it to be possible.

For example, I have a segment on the q arm of chromosome 15 that 23andMe identifies as "Native American". I also have a matching segment with a 3rd cousin at the same location. I say "3rd cousin", but he's actually related to me through both of his parents. He's a 3rd cousin through his father, who is a 2nd cousin once removed to me; and a 3rd cousin once removed through his mother, who is also my 3rd cousin.

Anyway, this cousin has about 4% Native American ancestry, as contrasted with my 2%. But, that may in part be because he has more lines of descent from a particular shared Native American ancestor. (Magdalaine Pany Baudreau -- or rather, her mother, since Magdalaine herself was half French through her father Jean Baptiste Baudreau.)

The point is, though, that there's at least a possibility that the segment was handed down from this ancestor. (And likely preserved in part due to intermarriages among some of her descendants.)

So, yes, some companies do show where on the chromosomes various ancestries are believed to be connected to. Most do not, but only give percentages.

It was just that function I would like to see in MyHeritage, as in 23andMe and Gedmatch (the colors are horrible in Gedmatch).

Thank you!