PDA

View Full Version : Transfers to My Heritage unlocked for $29?

digital_noise
01-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Looks like there is a paywall to see your transfer results now. Either a 1 time $29 charge or a subscription to whatever service they provide. I wonít be paying as while I donít find their results as awful as most do, it certainly lacks details that I would feel make the cost worth it. Maybe when they upgrade their algorithm this year...

Edit** let me add that they are certainly have every right to charge for their service. I was just surprised and donít feel the results they provide match the cost of entry.

LTG
01-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Do the free upload results tend to differ from the ones that you manually send a sample in for?

PLogan
01-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Did you upload your kit(s) after Dec 16th? I haven't experienced any restrictions with the many kits I uploaded for free prior to that date.

digital_noise
01-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Do the free upload results tend to differ from the ones that you manually send a sample in for?

They are in the same ballpark regionally, but honestly I have uploaded the same data multiple times and gotten slightly different results.

Below are a MH swab and a Living DNA upload. The actual My Heritage swab has equal amunts Italian and Greek and higher eastern Euro. I cannot say much on the Living DNA upload as its like 23 and Me V5, so far less SNP's and the actual Living DNA test is worthless.

digital_noise
01-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Did you upload your kit(s) after Dec 16th? I haven't experienced any restrictions with the many kits I uploaded for free prior to that date.

yes, all my earlier kits are fine. The most recent was on the 1st of Jan and thats the one in question. I just wasnt aware they were adding a paywall.

PLogan
01-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Yeah, that's why I uploaded all I could before the deadline. Glad I did, actually found some good matches I wasn't getting on other sites. Still think their ethnicity stuff is weak sauce, but theirs is entertainment at best.

Below is what I was emailing fellow researchers a few weeks before the deadline.

https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/free-dna-uploads-deadline-extended/?fbclid=IwAR2gMapj37giRJckT8j65Kuzmk5ShQ4FZCKM_s2q AZ1e3jAlcQOss7CP8-A

Ever since MyHeritage began offering DNA services, we have provided our users the ability to upload their DNA data for free . These users then received DNA Matches and ethnicity estimates on MyHeritage for free, a unique benefit not offered by any of the other major companies.

We have just extended our deadline for free DNA uploads to December 16, 2018. As of this date, our policy regarding DNA uploads will change. DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features will require an extra payment for DNA results uploaded after this date.

LTG
01-05-2019, 07:42 PM
They are in the same ballpark regionally, but honestly I have uploaded the same data multiple times and gotten slightly different results.

Below are a MH swab and a Living DNA upload. The actual My Heritage swab has equal amunts Italian and Greek and higher eastern Euro. I cannot say much on the Living DNA upload as its like 23 and Me V5, so far less SNP's and the actual Living DNA test is worthless.

Thanks, that clears it up. My free upload to MyHeritage got the populations correct, but the percentages were quite a bit off. It essentially gave me 25% Italy that should be Northwest Europe - when I looked at the map, it showed that the Italy reference panel spilled into Germany and France if I remember correctly. I think this is what skewed the results. LivingDNA was actually okay for me, although they did the opposite and overestimated my Northwest Europe by 15%.

AncestryDNA was probably my best result as it was actually a 50/50 split.

fostert
01-05-2019, 10:46 PM
https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/...jAlcQOss7CP8-A
We have just extended our deadline for free DNA uploads to December 16, 2018. As of this date, our policy regarding DNA uploads will change. DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features will require an extra payment for DNA results uploaded after this date.

They've got it wrong it seems: I wouldn't pay anything for MH's ethnicity estimate, since IMO its the worst of the lot, even a bit worse than FTDNA's myOrigins. E.g. MH puts my wife as 3% Nigerian; shes 100% European in her tree (e.g. in Holland going back to the 1500s and Willem of Orange), and every other DNA company does not find anything but 100% european. For me, MH does not even find a drop of my French-Canadian quarter, sticking it into England and scandinavian instead.

If I needed the matches (e.g. adoption search) I'd more rather pay for those since MH has a nice growing database with lots of trees.