PDA

View Full Version : North German LivingDNA results - Baltic connection in Pomerania?

Eumolpide
01-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Half a year ago I sent in a specimen of my mother's DNA to LivingDNA. As her mother's (my maternal grandmother) ancestors hail from Schleswig Holstein (Wohlde, Dannewerk, Hütten, Probstei, Selent) and her father's from Western Farther Pomerania (E/NE of Stargard) when I received the results I was mainly expecting to learn something a) about the the Germanic/Slavic share (which the tests are rather good in distinguishing) and b) about the respective subdivision in the Germanic cluster between British Isles, Scandinavian and continental Germanic (wherein the tests are rather bad for lack of specific drift). The results were:

which baffled me because of the lower-than-expected Balto-Slavic share and foremost for the fact that Baltic rather than Slavic turned up. Other German Pomeranian results I looked for show a similar pattern of favouring Baltic over Slavic.

Now on to other tests:

Myheritage says:

Europe 100,0%
Northern and Western Europe 86,5
>North and West European 72,0%
>Scandinavian 14,5%

Eastern Europe 13,5%
>Balt 8,1%
>East European 5,4%

and Gedmatch, Eurogenes EUTest:
1 NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 28.07
2 ATLANTIC 23.39
3 EAST_EURO 18.73
4 SOUTH_BALTIC 16.02
5 WEST_MED 7.99
6 WEST_ASIAN 5.34
7 WEST_AFRICAN 0.26
8 EAST_MED 0.21

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
1 87.8% NO + 12.2% Erzya 2.68
2 86.8% NO + 13.2% East_Russian 2.85
3 88.3% NO + 11.7% North_Russian 2.96
4 86.1% NO + 13.9% West_Russian 3.01

Interesting also the sub-structure, the high share of East_Europe vs. South_Baltic in the Gedmatch which is otherwise only reached in Russia, maybe a hint to a link to Forest Baltic tribes? Also, so far my mother has no matches among West Slavs but a few amoung East Slavs on Myheritage. It could all be statistic noise but certainly warrants further investigation.

Presence of Balts west of the Vistula, chiefly concerning place names in Pomerelia, has been a discussed subject in older German publications. The case of the Persante, flowing through Kolberg (Kolobrzeg), is mentioned but has been considered an isolated outlier in a sea of Slavic place names.

Another issue that was moot but imho can be resolved through DNA is the question of near-complete replacement of Slavs in much of Eastern Holstein following the Wendish crusade. Historical sources mention that most fled to Mecklenburg and otherwise were, to a large extent, resettled around Lütjenburg. And indeed, e.g. for the Probstei region a lack of Eastern ancestry confirms the historic account.

JonikW
01-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Very interesting. The link doesn't work; probably because you haven't yet made 10 posts on this site. Perhaps you could type out the results?

Eumolpide
01-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the hint.
LivingDNA:

Europe 100%
Europe (North and West) 80.8%
Germanic 59%
Scandinavia 21.8%
Great Britain and Ireland 9.1%
England and Wales 9.1%
Europe (East) 8.9%
Baltics 8.9%
Europe (South) 1.2%
Tuscany 1.2%

ianz91
02-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Very interesting. I've heard countless times how Living DNA gives too much British to Germans and other Western Europeans. This doesn't seem to be the case here though.

Eumolpide
02-18-2019, 09:20 AM
I wondered that as well, esp. as deep ancestry should be mostly Saxon/Frisian in origin.
I hope they aren`cheating and just putting the inallocatable Germanic stuff into the continental category because of the presence of some Eastern contribution or German post adress.

Angriff
02-18-2019, 10:32 PM
I wondered that as well, esp. as deep ancestry should be mostly Saxon/Frisian in origin.
I hope they aren`cheating and just putting the inallocatable Germanic stuff into the continental category because of the presence of some Eastern contribution or German post adress.

The newer panels or the Sirius chip definitely improved the identification of German. My Sirius results actually went the other way, now my English is showing as German.

Eumolpide
02-20-2019, 07:52 AM
Testing was on the old chip.

BTW an interesting feature would be a timeline for ethnicity estimate that seperates the same DNA at different depths, e.g. recent regional ancestry - IE branches Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Baltic etc. - WHG/EHG/ANE/ENF - West/East/Basal Euasian/African - sapiens/denisova/neanderthalensis. As it stands now there are some inconsistencies e.g. declaring Celtic substrate in Germans as German (+some "Etruscan" to account for higher ENF substrate component among Celts) while declaring Slavic substrate as Baltic/NE European. Or take, for instance, that Ashkenazi category in some tests that swallows information through not disclosing the European and Levantic ancestry share.