PDA

View Full Version : Eating nuts 'may prolong life'

Clinton P
11-22-2013, 01:12 PM
"People who regularly eat nuts appear to live longer, according to the largest study of its kind."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25026705) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

MikeWhalen
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
woo woo!
you mean there is finally something I like thats actually good for you?

dry roasted peanuts and sunflower seeds are my fav's and I usually have one or both next to my big living room chair!

salted of course...so I guess that moves them back into the bad/wicked column?

Mike

GTC
11-22-2013, 03:33 PM
"People who regularly eat nuts appear to live longer, according to the largest study of its kind."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25026705) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

And yet today, ironically, there are more kids having sometimes fatal anaphylactic reactions to peanuts to the extent that now every food or kitchen utensil that has even been within the same zipcode as a peanut must be labeled accordingly.

utR!
11-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I have started to eat different kind of nuts-, seeds- and almondmseletion or mixture at work with my tea and sometimes coffee. Taste nice but need to be careful not to eat too much. Nuts and so are quite expensive per kilo.

Yes salty nuts taste nice but...

utR!

MJost
11-22-2013, 03:49 PM
What my wife agrees that the nuts seem to reduce her overall glycemic levels when consumed with some other foods.

MJost

basque
11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I should live to about a 110 B) I eat lots of nuts on a daily basis, walnuts, brazil nuts, monkey nuts and sunflower seeds. But not salted peanuts.

They can sometimes be expensive. Just lately though the price of walnuts and brazil nuts have come down (tesco) so stocked up before they increase the price again.

basque: :rolleyes:

Clinton P
11-22-2013, 10:46 PM
The thing I like about this particular time of year is that some of my favourite nuts (hazelnuts and almonds) are quite plentiful in the shops.

This year was also a 'mast year' which should mean a bumper crop for nuts.

Clinton P

Erik
07-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Nice, peanuts taste great!

rms2
07-12-2014, 12:26 AM
I like pecan pie, but I think it's about 99% sugar and about 1% pecans.

Humanist
07-12-2014, 12:34 AM

Ewww. Love pecan pie.

DMXX
07-12-2014, 12:38 AM

Ewww. Love pecan pie.

Dammit, that's one of my "weakness" foods as well.

Few things can break my dietary resolve like a fresh, crumbling, dense maple pecan pastry...

rms2
07-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Ever have a pecan log? Here in the states they are made of a gooey, white candy center called "divinity" covered with pecans.

They are fantastic, but probably good for about a million calories.

rms2
07-12-2014, 12:58 AM
If I make it to 90, on my 90th birthday I am going to sit and eat pecan pie and chase it with shots of vodka.

In my defense, I will cite the study that began this thread.

Gray Fox
07-19-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm a trail-mix nut myself. Though any health benefits are surely reduced as M&M's usually make up a quarter of the mix! I've always been of the mind that as long as you don't sit on your arse all day and actually get up and move around, most minor things like chocolate are negated. In other words I'm pretty liberal with my diet lol I figure weight lifting, cutting and busting firewood and walking everyday should keep my somewhat poor diet from killing me off too quickly :angel:

MikeWhalen
07-19-2014, 11:25 PM
I have never had a pecan pie before, but from what I've seen/heard, it sounds like it is really made of the same stuff our butter-tarts are
-a brown sugar/buttery gooey bit of heaven

if so, I wonder why someone would ruin such perfection by putting stupid nuts on it?
We have some deranged creatures up in this neck of the woods that often put either raisins or walnuts in butter tarts
they should be horsewhipped!

Mike

venustas
07-19-2014, 11:29 PM
If you eat nuts excessively wouldn't it be hard on your liver because of tannin?

alan
07-20-2014, 02:07 AM
I believe nuts have a lot of the good fats and oils in them - the ones that are good for you that you also get in Salmon, olives etc. However, that doesnt detract from the fact they have a lot of calories in them. So, I think a small handful of nuts a day would be plenty. I love pistachios, peanuts and cashews. Not so keen on things like Walnuts, Brazils, hazels etc which I think are better for you but taste too woody to me unless they are attached to a big lump of chocolate.

alan
07-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Almonds are also overrated on tarts.

I have never had a pecan pie before, but from what I've seen/heard, it sounds like it is really made of the same stuff our butter-tarts are
-a brown sugar/buttery gooey bit of heaven

if so, I wonder why someone would ruin such perfection by putting stupid nuts on it?
We have some deranged creatures up in this neck of the woods that often put either raisins or walnuts in butter tarts
they should be horsewhipped!

Mike

Gray Fox
07-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Mike and Alan..

You just haven't lived until you've had a Pecan Pie. Simple as that!

MikeWhalen
07-20-2014, 05:11 AM
you can have my share of pecans, I will gladly have the rest
:)

M

Mike and Alan..

You just haven't lived until you've had a Pecan Pie. Simple as that!

geebee
07-20-2014, 10:02 AM
I should hate you for even mentioning pecan logs [when I'm living in] a place I can't get them (Malaysia). But you're right, they're wonderful -- but at least a million calories.

AJL
07-20-2014, 03:32 PM
I have a weakness for pistachios and roasted chestnuts: I am fully capable of eating half a kilo in one sitting.

Macadamia nuts are also great, but they're about 50% fat and very pricy so it's a little hard to overindulge. Pine nuts are great too, but they are expensive as well and tend to go rancid quickly unless you refrigerate them. A few toasted pine nuts or crumbled pistachios go very well in a cup of chai.

AJL
07-20-2014, 03:38 PM
If you eat nuts excessively wouldn't it be hard on your liver because of tannin?

Most nuts are apparently not so high in tannins as to cause problems. Some people eat acorns, which are quite high, but you can remove the tannins by soaking or boiling.

thetick
07-20-2014, 05:20 PM
I have a weakness for pistachios and roasted chestnuts: I am fully capable of eating half a kilo in one sitting.

Macadamia nuts are also great, but they're about 50% fat and very pricy so it's a little hard to overindulge. Pine nuts are great too, but they are expensive as well and tend to go rancid quickly unless you refrigerate them. A few toasted pine nuts or crumbled pistachios go very well in a cup of chai.

I can certainly eat half a kilo in one sitting. One kilo might be a bit much for me.
Macadamia nuts are my favorite, but I rarely eat them because of the price. I tend to eat more cashews because I get them pretty reasonable at the bulk food store. They don't have Macadamia nuts.

When I visited Hawaii a years ago a trip to the Macadamia nut farm was a highlight. I was also actually thrilled to find a few cashew trees in the wild.

Táltos
07-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Pistachios and pine nuts are tops in my book.

MikeWhalen
07-20-2014, 08:30 PM
fresh salted pistachio are very tasty, pine nuts in salad and whatnot is a nice treat...dry roasted sunflower and peanuts is a staple at my place...I do like fresh cashews as well...
It probably sounds odd, but as much as I love these nuts, I generally hate in when they are 'in' something-no clue why but other than thai food using peanuts, I dislike them used as cooking ingredients

M

Dimanto
09-21-2014, 12:57 AM
I spend around 20 Euro's per month on nuts (raw and unsalted of course). I usually buy a mix of: macadamia's (which are the most expensive type of nuts here), walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashewnuts and hazelnuts. Afterwards I mix them with raisins.

rms2
09-22-2014, 04:45 PM
you can have my share of pecans, I will gladly have the rest

M

Once you taste a good pecan pie, you will change your mind. The sugary stuff is great, but it's the pecans that send it over the top into the ambrosia category.

MikeWhalen
09-22-2014, 08:29 PM
rms2
meaning this the very nicest way, you can still have my nuts

Mike