PDA

View Full Version : L550+ which company?

Nibelung
01-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Hello,

So it looks based on my 23andMeV4 data in the Morley predictor that I'm likely to be L550+ and I'm wondering from whom to order. I do also have the FF at ftDNA, but with no Y-DNA STRs (aside from an ancient 12 marker Genographic 1.0 with a forgotten email long lost in the system), and their N SNP pack, which the website appears willing to allow me to order on its own, is $119. Lacking the STRs for this account I suppose there's no way to cheat accurately enough using matches, although many autosomal Finnish ones do exist for me at ftDNA, 23andMe and GEDmatch. YSEQ I've seen variously recommended here at the forum but they do not appear to offer an SNP pack. What should I choose before any talk of a complete Y?

On top of all that, is there more of a history available for L550 than I've seen so far? Recently I've heard it's more associated with Sweden than Finland but don't know how to verify this, or where to find any accurate percentages. Of course there are the two famous dynastic lines, it probably being an accident those families were sometimes considered related long before any possible genetic testing. Should L550 be considered a wave separate from the main Baltic Finnic population?

Thank you

BroderTuck
01-13-2019, 11:37 PM
One of your screenshots shows the SNP M46/Page70/Tat in 2 different places, once as N1c1, and further down as N1c1a1a1a1~1

The second placement would seem to indicate that it is a subclade of L550, and that L550 should therefore be positive, but this is an error in the Morley predictor experimental tree.
M46 is N1c1 (according to the nomenclature used then) and nothing else.

The furthest that these screenshots show you as positive is M178, which is pretty standard for a pre-v5 chip.

Yseq doesn't offer SNP packs, but they do offer something else.
They have what they call Panels, where they start with a SNP test somewhere in the middle of the tree and then go up or down the tree based on if the result was derived or not, and repeating until they've tested as far as they can. Since you are M178, i would recommend looking at their "N Superclade" panel.

This has a fixed price regardless of how many SNPs they need to test to reach a conclusion.

Most people of european descent will end up on one of the more specialized panels, and the Superclade will decide which one and include it for only $11 more than the specialized panel, which is less than if you tried to order a deciding SNP yourself.

Nibelung
01-14-2019, 12:20 AM
One of your screenshots shows the SNP M46/Page70/Tat in 2 different places, once as N1c1, and further down as N1c1a1a1a1~1

The second placement would seem to indicate that it is a subclade of L550, and that L550 should therefore be positive, but this is an error in the Morley predictor experimental tree.
M46 is N1c1 (according to the nomenclature used then) and nothing else.

The furthest that these screenshots show you as positive is M178, which is pretty standard for a pre-v5 chip.

Yseq doesn't offer SNP packs, but they do offer something else.
They have what they call Panels, where they start with a SNP test somewhere in the middle of the tree and then go up or down the tree based on if the result was derived or not, and repeating until they've tested as far as they can. Since you are M178, i would recommend looking at their "N Superclade" panel.

This has a fixed price regardless of how many SNPs they need to test to reach a conclusion.

Most people of european descent will end up on one of the more specialized panels, and the Superclade will decide which one and include it for only $11 more than the specialized panel, which is less than if you tried to order a deciding SNP yourself.

THANK YOU! I'm not invested in one result or another but I have a crowd of people stalking me around on the general topic, projecting their ethno-linguistic fantasies into it all the time. Frequently I get to be Chinese! (not so bad for business actually) Of course now watch me turn out to be something Ultra-Finnic. So it would automatically go downstream of VL29 or Z1936 if that information's available from the sample? Sounds spectacular!

Yay!