PDA

View Full Version : Q haplogroup in Spain

bsoldan
02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Hi, this is my first message to the group.

Well, I am one of the Spaniards in the group who are Q. My paternal grandparents are all from the south of Spain, from Andalucia (Seville). I have neither Jewish ancestors nor less Native Americans.

I uploada my raw dat to Y-Full, and I am isolated in a new clade (Q-BY106206) or Q-BY61803 in FTDNA. My lineage comes from 700 years ago. There is another person in FTDNA with whom I share the same mutations, lives in USA and the acenstors came from Spain or Portugal.

On the other hand my last name (Soldan) is quite rare in Spain, barely 300 people and the main concentration is in Andalucia. You can find this surname in Romania, Moldavia, Germany, Poland and other places in Central Europa I have always believed that my ancestors came from central Europe and emigrated to Spain although I have never been able to prove this.

Haplogroup Q, as you know is extremely rare in Spain, some presence in the south of Portugal, I think; but nothing more.

Any idea of my origin?
Greetings and forgive for my bad English.

Ruderico
02-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Hola!

It's quite remarkable, my yDNA is also pretty rare although my origins are in the northwest of the peninsula. Besides the American, do you have any more matches?
As for the family name, has its been in your paternal family for a long time? Surnames can be quite random, from personal experience.

Finally, I'd ask around if anyone has seen an ancient sample with your subclade, or one ancestral to it. In my case it's from a Scythian form NE Kazakhstan, maybe yours has an Eastern origin aswell.

bsoldan
02-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your answer

I only know the American of Spanish or Portuguese origin with the same mutations. No more matches ....

As for the last name, I could reach my great-grandparents, all from Ecija (Seville).

Hola!

It's quite remarkable, my yDNA is also pretty rare although my origins are in the northwest of the peninsula. Besides the American, do you have any more matches?
As for the family name, has its been in your paternal family for a long time? Surnames can be quite random, from personal experience.

Finally, I'd ask around if anyone has seen an ancient sample with your subclade, or one ancestral to it. In my case it's from a Scythian form NE Kazakhstan, maybe yours has an Eastern origin aswell.

Afshar
02-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Some clades of Q are so rare and widely distributed that its impossible to find a place of origin for the clade, unless offcourse some ancient pops up somewhere.

JoeyP37
02-13-2019, 12:14 AM
You know, Eupedia's page on Q says that the haplogroup Q found in Sicily is of Phoenician origin; why not Spain, too? Phoenicians were active in southern Spain, and their Carthaginian cousins, as well.

Sikeliot
02-13-2019, 12:20 AM
You know, Eupedia's page on Q says that the haplogroup Q found in Sicily is of Phoenician origin; why not Spain, too? Phoenicians were active in southern Spain, and their Carthaginian cousins, as well.

My guess is in both Sicily and Spain it is of Phoenician origin, or Punic at least.

Power77
02-13-2019, 01:30 AM
His Q subclade appears to be more Central Asian than Levantine. I’d guess our new friend most likely inherited it either from some Hunish or Scytho-Alanic ancestor rather than from a Phoenician one.

Lugus
02-13-2019, 06:05 AM
His Q subclade appears to be more Central Asian than Levantine. I’d guess our new friend most likely inherited it either from some Hunish or Scytho-Alanic ancestor rather than from a Phoenician one.

Correct. Wild continental distributions like that point to great mobility from the use of fast horses.

Agamemnon
02-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Considering the distribution and TMRCA estimates of the branches immediately upstream, I'd say an arrival of this lineage in the Iberian peninsula with the Alans is the most convincing scenario.

Lugus
02-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Two more examples:

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-YP413/

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-YP1455/

ERS2374355 is DA101 from Tian Shan (Kyrgyzstan) in Damgaard et al., 137 ancient genomes from across the Eurasian steppes https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0094-2#Sec10

Táltos
02-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Well, I am one of the Spaniards in the group who are Q. My paternal grandparents are all from the south of Spain, from Andalucia (Seville). I have neither Jewish ancestors nor less Native Americans.

I uploada my raw dat to Y-Full, and I am isolated in a new clade (Q-BY106206) or Q-BY61803 in FTDNA. My lineage comes from 700 years ago. There is another person in FTDNA with whom I share the same mutations, lives in USA and the acenstors came from Spain or Portugal.

On the other hand my last name (Soldan) is quite rare in Spain, barely 300 people and the main concentration is in Andalucia. You can find this surname in Romania, Moldavia, Germany, Poland and other places in Central Europa I have always believed that my ancestors came from central Europe and emigrated to Spain although I have never been able to prove this.

Haplogroup Q, as you know is extremely rare in Spain, some presence in the south of Portugal, I think; but nothing more.

Any idea of my origin?

Welcome to Anthrogenica bsoldan, and congratulations on your result!

I agree with Agamemnon that the Alans are a convincing scenario for your Q result. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alans
Eupedia's Q tree shows your upstream SNP Q-L938 associated with Turkey, and Georgia. https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_Q_Y-DNA.shtml

parasar
02-13-2019, 06:30 PM

Any idea of my origin?

Q-BY106206 has a common ancestor 700 years ago - so this ancestor was likely born in Iberia.
Upstream BZ1499 has TMRCA of 4700 years - this could an ancestor in the IE influx period.
Further up is L939 which could be a steppe line as it is also seen outside Europe in the Caucasus.

Afshar
02-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Alans is the most common thing to say but when you take a look at other portugese/spanish samples (for example https://www.yfull.com/tree/Q-Y2990/ TRMCA 2700ybp) it seems a solid guess.

RCO
02-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Possible Alanic lineages in Western Iberia became mainstream Christian lines in the Reconquista and expanded from the North to the South, starlike growth pattern and can be found in the Colonial Frontiers in America. Singletons can have other origins.

Shadogowah
02-14-2019, 01:05 PM
That is having a really cool Spanish haplogroup and not a boring and mundane R1b. That is what it is.

Шад
02-16-2019, 12:20 PM
SA6004 Sharakhalsun-6 (45.412267, 43.695565) Steppe Maykop Q-L933* - this is a paleo sample of the Maykop culture (4000-3000 BC)

YF09571 GEO - https://www.yfull.com/tree/Q-L939*/ - This is a DNA sample from a descendant of the Georgian royal dynasty of Bagratids. It is known that they were of non-native origin

Further, we see only the inhabitants of Central and Western Europe
https://www.yfull.com/tree/Q-BZ1499/

A classic example of movement from east to west. This could be a representatives of any steppe people or people of the Caucasus who fell within the limits of the Roman Empire as a merchants, slaves or warriors.
It is unlikely that this is a descendant of one person who has fallen into Europe. Most likely they are descendants of various people who came to Europe at different times and in connection with different circumstances. Although the Great Migration is the most likely scenario.