PDA

View Full Version : Is L2a1l African?

HelioSun
02-18-2019, 06:46 PM
My maternal great-grandmother's mtDNA was L2a1l. She was Ashkenazi and her family came from Eastern Europe but she was very dark skinned and could pass as a North African Jew or Mizrachi Jew. However, 23andme says L2a1l is from Bantu people in Africa, and I have not been able to find much about this lineage other than that. So is this lineage actually from Africa?

Lank
02-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Somewhat relevant: L2a1l (or a close relative) was just recently reported (https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2018.2288) in an ancient Iberian sample from 3600 YBP:

COV20126, the 3600 yBP individual from Córdoba was assigned to L2a1 l, a typical sub-Saharan haplogroup, to our knowledge never described before in ancient individuals outside Africa. The restriction of the analysis to reads showing typical aDNA molecular damage [24], confirmed the assignation of COV20126 to haplogroup L2a1 l. We followed PhyloTree (http://www.phylotree.org/) to place COV20126 in a parsimonious phylogeny of the L2 haplogroup (electronic supplementary material, figure S5a) and confirmed its assignment to L2a1. Within this clade, the polymorphisms 16189C and 16192 T together with 534 T place COV20126 further down on the tree in subclade L2a1 l, although for a complete assignment to this subclade COV20126 is missing an A at position 143 and a C at position 195. On the same branch of the tree and differing from L2a1 l by only four substitutions, there is L2a1 k, a haplogroup that perhaps has evolved locally in Europe since 13 000 yBP [5,6]. We did not find exact matches to this ancient sequence in a database of modern haplogroup L mtDNAs (n > 2600 haplotypes). However, in present-day populations haplogroup L2a1 l is most frequent in West/West-Central Africa [41], but also in the Caribbean and USA, as a consequence of the transatlantic slave trade, [42]. Most remarkable, the sub-clade, L2a1l2a, comprising five different haplotypes, occurs only in modern DNA samples from Poland [43]. In addition, there are no members belonging to L2a1 l in present-day samples from North Africa.

Assuming those 5 samples from Poland are Jewish (they cite a study on Ashkenazi mtDNA), it seems more likely IMO that L2a1l is a result of Iberian or North African gene flow into Jewish groups. Despite being originally African, L2a1l has apparently been found in Europe for a long time.

Caz57
02-18-2019, 11:20 PM
I am LSa1l. Very interesting information.

mangumheel
02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
I have an L2a1 ancestress from Germany, born in early 1700s. Her mitochondrial line may have been from Switzerland prior to that.

Landbetween2rivers
09-27-2019, 04:38 AM
Interesting.

Caz57
10-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Sorry I am L2a1l . Mostly West African but from results of ancestry tests my ancient ancestry is composed of Iberia. Not sure if I am really Jewish but it does crop up mainly in Europe particularly East Europe e.g Ukraine etc,.

StillWater
10-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Sorry I am L2a1l . Mostly West African but from results of ancestry tests my ancient ancestry is composed of Iberia. Not sure if I am really Jewish but it does crop up mainly in Europe particularly East Europe e.g Ukraine etc,.

Where is your matrilineal side from?

Caz57
11-23-2019, 03:12 PM
Sorry I am L2a1l . I believe my most current ancestry is West Africa. However my ancient ancestry has come up Askenazi Jew, Iberia ( 1400s to 1500s) and north african jew. This has come in various tests. Does the reflect in my haplogroup?

Caz57
11-23-2019, 03:17 PM
I suspect African. But my Grandmother on my Mom's side is 1/2 South Asia. Most of my ancient ancestry is European : East, West, North and South European with some central Asia. Would that expain anything?

Caz57
11-23-2019, 03:20 PM
I suspect African. But my Grandmother on my Mom's side is 1/2 South Asia. Most of my ancient ancestry is European : East, West, North and South European with some central Asia. Would that explain anything?

StillWater
11-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Sorry I am L2a1l . I believe my most current ancestry is West Africa. However my ancient ancestry has come up Askenazi Jew, Iberia ( 1400s to 1500s) and north african jew. This has come in various tests. Does the reflect in my haplogroup?

Some Jews are L2a1l. I'm confused by what you're saying. What's the ethnicity of your earliest know matrilineal ancestor?

Caz57
12-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Its me again. I now know more about my ancestry. To sum if up without being too direct the L2a1 l now makes more sense. Though I am primarily West African( primarily Gambian and Nigerian). ( Mandenka, Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa and Esan.) ( I seem to have Sierra Leone ( Mande), Ghana (Brong), Cameroon and Congo) it seems to be my most recent ancestry. I have done tests and read about Ancient Ancestry as per identified countries and groups. So I am outlining below but don't know the exact timeline:

Also current is India & Pakistan.

1. East African ( may be my oldest ancestry) Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia( ironically I have been told many times in my life that I look Ethiopian).
2. I also have Bantu ( East and South Africa)
3. North Africa( Morocco, Egyptian, Algeria- Mozabites & Bedouins, Libya & Tunsia)
3, Near East ( Jordan and Samaria, Palestine, Syria and Lebanon)
4. Central Asian: Uzbekistan, Khazathan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan & Turkemistan .
5. European varies depending on the test so I am not as sure but the following as come up on a few occasions in this order: British/Irish, Russian, Spanish, Germanic, Italy,French, Sweden, Ukrainian, and other East European countries, Finland , Greece
6. Overall my ancestry ranges from Europe, Turkey and Persia ( Iran) and even Siberia and China comes up quite often in tiny amounts.
7. To top things off I might even by Jewish: India ( Cochin), Middle East ( Samaritans), Lemba ( South Africa), Ethiopia Jews, Ashkenazi and North African Jew. Even might be Shephardic but not sure.

This is all very confusing but I am sure this has a bearing on my haplogroup.

Caz57
04-17-2020, 02:35 PM
Hello I am not 100% sure but I think Nigeria in West African and possibly Bantu. My grandmother was half Indian/Pakistan , Afghanistan and Central Asia. THere is also Iberian and possibly Eastern European.... the latter I am not sure about.

Jatt1
04-17-2020, 06:49 PM
My maternal great-grandmother's mtDNA was L2a1l. She was Ashkenazi and her family came from Eastern Europe but she was very dark skinned and could pass as a North African Jew or Mizrachi Jew. However, 23andme says L2a1l is from Bantu people in Africa, and I have not been able to find much about this lineage other than that. So is this lineage actually from Africa?

You may have your answer here, post #2. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?20109-Corded-Ware-cultural-complexity-uncovered-using-genomic-and-isotopic-analysis-from-so

StillWater
04-17-2020, 09:47 PM
You may have your answer here, post #2. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?20109-Corded-Ware-cultural-complexity-uncovered-using-genomic-and-isotopic-analysis-from-so

I didn't see anything there. Highly doubt that clade will be found in Eneolithic Poland.

Jatt1
04-18-2020, 04:28 AM
I didn't see anything there. Highly doubt that clade will be found in Eneolithic Poland.

It doesn't have to be the same clade, this it to show that L is present there even in those times.

StillWater
04-18-2020, 03:31 PM
It doesn't have to be the same clade, this it to show that L is present there even in those times.

That doesn't raise the probability of L2a1 being present there in even ancient times. Its presence if Poland is from Jews.

Caz57
06-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Hello

Tests showing my ancient ancestry have stated I am Asian, European and African Jewish. Might that explain my lineage?

uflakmoon
06-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Possibly. Ashkenazi Jews have African genes from admixutre thousands of years ago.