PDA

View Full Version : R1b-M65 private mutation among Basque(?) or not

ADW_1981
11-30-2013, 03:12 AM
Not that anyone really cares, but my M65 match at 23andMe got back to my share request at some point and he's not Basque and he's not even Spanish. He's got a Scottish surname but could also be generic UK. Go figure.

David Wilson
12-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Actually, I do care. M65 was one of those early R1b SNPs that no one could really place (or even find new instances) for the longest time. I don't think I realized until I read your post and Y-haplogroup profile data that it would be found a few steps down in DF27. Is there any thought that the picture may be confused by independent mutations?

Rory Cain
09-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Actually, I do care. M65 was one of those early R1b SNPs that no one could really place (or even find new instances) for the longest time. I don't think I realized until I read your post and Y-haplogroup profile data that it would be found a few steps down in DF27. Is there any thought that the picture may be confused by independent mutations?

I understand the professor in whose sample M65 was found wielded enough influence at FTDNA to have this private SNP added to both the FTDNA and the ISOGG ytree as though it were a genuine polymorphism. And despite M65 never reappearing anywhere in further testing, that both organisation were for a long time too scared of the professor to remove it and place it in the private category. ISOGG has since done so. Perhaps they waited until the professor died. RIP M65.