PDA

View Full Version : MikeW's my heritage results-got a puzzle

MikeWhalen
02-24-2019, 06:46 PM
I was not paying attention to the myheritage site for a long time, and only recently dl'ed my 23&me results there and got this...
so if some of my questions were talked about before, forgive me, I did go through some of the previous posts but saw nothing to help me

in any case, most of the results are pretty sensible, but I have 1 weird result and 1 sorta question

as background, pen & paper proves that 15/16 GGGparents are Irish or Scots or English or some mishmash thereof
...the 16/16 gggparent was probably from holland but some recent research suggests switzerland might be the origin point
...in anycase, some sort of 'scandinavian type'

So the overall results are 96.5% from 'North & West Europe' and 3.5 % from 'Asia'
the more specific break down is, I have 5 ethnicities...

62%....'Irish, Scottish or Welsh'
19.1%.'North & West European'
9.3%...'English'
6.1%...'Scandanavian
3.5%...'West asian'

traditional pen and paper clearly shows that I 'should' have a higher english score, but I always thought that was misleading as in the english line, more often than not they married irish girls, I mean ones that spoke only gaelic till they died...so while surprised that english is 9%, off the top of my head, I would have thought closer to 20%, i guess my sense of alot of hidden irish in the english is right?

the real weird one is the 3.5 % west asian?
huh?
I mean, if "west asian" means who I think it does (googling says Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cyprus, Gaza Strip, Georgia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, West Bank and Yemen)
...then it is a real mystery

the only thing I can think of is there is little doubt that one of my main english lines, 'Rowsell', lost an English rebellion war in the late 1700's and got sent as a slave to a plantation in the caribbean...we think he came back 10 yrs later after a pardon, with at least 3 mulatto boys (who eventually settled in newfoundland, in part due to racism), meaning some black slave as a mom...
but that would light up an african match, would it not?
I know in some other dna testing thingy's, the african dna was lit up a bit above standard noise level, not much above, but I took it as proof of the verbal stories old aunts told

anyway, west asian is a puzzle...absolutely zero hint or remote rational for any dna signal to come from that part of the world for me

what do you guys think? I am interested others thoughts on the low english level, but mostly, what's with the west asian trace?

thanks for any help

mike

MitchellSince1893
02-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Maybe you have some unknown British Roma ancestry. Another possibility is if you had ancestors that were in British India, then you might have an unknown Indian ancestor. I learned that both of these scenarios is true for my own ancestry.

While this ancestry shows up on other tests for my father, it doesn't show up on myheritage. However 2.7% Central Asian shows up for his paternal half sister on myheritage.

sktibo
02-25-2019, 03:17 PM
I've found MyHeritage to be incredibly unreliable for myself and for some of my DNA relatives. MyHeritage is also semi-famous for assigning exotic non-European to ethnicities to Europeans. I'm not saying it isn't correct for sure, but I am saying in order to take it seriously I think you need to see if it appears consistently on the other major ethnicity estimates such as AncestryDNA. I don't think MyHeritage can accurately split Irish/Scottish from English either. Both AncestryDNA and Living DNA appear to be better at that IMO.

msmarjoribanks
02-25-2019, 07:46 PM
MyHeritage is wacky and in some unpredictable ways. My family (parents and sister and me) are all largely correct, but with some weird results (not consistent), and a few slightly off things.

On the English vs. Irish/Scottish/Welsh, my mom is about half and half (25%/25%, the other half is Swedish and German) and other tests suggest even higher for the English, and yet she gets 50% Irish/Scottish/Welsh and no English at MyHeritage. My mom gets 26% Scandinavian (which is pretty much right on), but I only get 7.5% (which I suppose is possible, but likely low).

I get 3.2% West Asian and 1.1% Central Asian, while my sister is 100% European, my dad is 99.2% European and 0.8% Native American (which doesn't show up elsewhere), and my mom is 98.3% European and 1.7% West Asian (also has some Balkan and Greek which is most likely not real).

I'm not taking the Asian part of my results seriously, especially since it doesn't show up at 23andMe or Ancestry, and 23andMe is the test I think is best for ethnicity.

Around a year ago everyone who uploaded got something like 2% Nigerian.

Osiris
02-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Can you find the segment on your DNA which has the interesting stuff? Maybe one of the GedMatch calculators might tell you. Then look at the matches you have and try and find those who share the same segment and see if any of them have that ethnicity. Might help to point to certain branches carrying that segment.

MikeWhalen
02-25-2019, 08:25 PM
ahh, good to know the problems others have faced

I am quite sure its wrong, its either pure nonsense or its picking up the possible wee trace of african/bahama that is likely in one of my mothers sides lines and somehow mangling it up

but as I'm thinking about it, given that Rowsell line 'incident occurred just after the The Monmouth Rebellion of 1685, which is over 300 years ago, would not and dna inheritance be dwindled down to a tiny percentage? I thought I'd heard that after 10 generations, we really cant trace where it exactly comes from?

anyway-thanks for the feedback guys, I will put this to bed for myself...no afghan warlords in my history, dagnabit!

Mike

RobinBMc
02-26-2019, 04:55 PM
I was not paying attention to the myheritage site for a long time, and only recently dl'ed my 23&me results there and got this...
so if some of my questions were talked about before, forgive me, I did go through some of the previous posts but saw nothing to help me

in any case, most of the results are pretty sensible, but I have 1 weird result and 1 sorta question

as background, pen & paper proves that 15/16 GGGparents are Irish or Scots or English or some mishmash thereof
...the 16/16 gggparent was probably from holland but some recent research suggests switzerland might be the origin point
...in anycase, some sort of 'scandinavian type'

So the overall results are 96.5% from 'North & West Europe' and 3.5 % from 'Asia'
the more specific break down is, I have 5 ethnicities...

62%....'Irish, Scottish or Welsh'
19.1%.'North & West European'
9.3%...'English'
6.1%...'Scandanavian
3.5%...'West asian'

traditional pen and paper clearly shows that I 'should' have a higher english score, but I always thought that was misleading as in the english line, more often than not they married irish girls, I mean ones that spoke only gaelic till they died...so while surprised that english is 9%, off the top of my head, I would have thought closer to 20%, i guess my sense of alot of hidden irish in the english is right?

the real weird one is the 3.5 % west asian?
huh?
I mean, if "west asian" means who I think it does (googling says Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cyprus, Gaza Strip, Georgia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, West Bank and Yemen)
...then it is a real mystery

If you read MyHeritage's description of that area, they are defining it as Iran and Turkey. Regardless, it's probably just noise, like a false positive. MyHeritage have the least reliable results in my experience, especially when from an upload.