PDA

View Full Version : Can you have phenotype traits from past generations?

Hobknobbob12
02-25-2019, 03:46 AM
Might be a stupid question, but I would like to know whether a phenotypical traits can be present from past generations. For example, say if you're
predominantely Western European with all great grandparents from there, but if you have an ancestor from x4-8 generations ago who didn't live there and exhibits different phenotypes can the phenotype traits such as (dark hair, eyes and skin, bone structure) be passed down unchanged and even dominate over the other more recent genes?

Sulfonico
03-04-2019, 06:59 PM
I think the answer is YES. It will depend on the random processes but technically it is possible.

LePrieur
03-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Yes, and generally dominant traits will outmatch the recessive genes. However, it can be seemingly random generation to generation, how traits are selected I've seen them show up a few generations down from a parent.

cardinale389
12-31-2020, 02:12 PM
Yes, I have a cousin who looks Southeast Asian, but as far as we know, he doesn't have recent Southeast Asian ancestry. His siblings and parents look nothing like him in terms of facial features or skin tone. It could be the phenotype of an ancient ancestor showing up on him.

rikvdb
01-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Dark eyes, hair and skin isn't so rare in Western Europe.

Azbuzz
03-27-2021, 03:19 AM
Yes you can.

https://nypost.com/2010/07/21/blond-bombshell/

CyrylBojarski
03-29-2021, 10:33 PM
I think yes and I am good example for that, before DNA testing my known ancestry was 87,5% Eastern European and 12,5% Bulgarian ( phenotypically much darker and different facial features ). When I upload my phoro phenotype to websites for categoryzing it people guess me as "half Greek half Polish", "Serb, Bulgarian" , "Iberian". Even 10% of ancestry can affect your appearance, than other 90%.