PDA

View Full Version : LivingDNA updating ancestry on March

Pages : [1] 2

agil
03-03-2019, 09:52 PM
That's atleast what I've read on 23andMe forums but haven't found an source yet.

Anyone knows if it's true?

FionnSneachta
03-03-2019, 10:07 PM
A few months ago they were saying March but I don't think there's been any confirmation since then that it would be in March. Katie Welka of Living DNA was asked if results would be updated in March but as far as I know she never confirmed that it would be March.

When asked about an update in March these were her replies:

while I don't know the exact timeline, I can confirm it's been in testing and run on my personal results as part of that, which was pretty cool to see. Our biggest hurdle right now is not the panel at this point, but the lack of versioning on the user-facing side. In other words, if we push this out, there will be a lot of happy people, but also a potential mass of people who want their old results back and can't get them. Stability has been a priority as of late to make sure we can build in that kind of versioning on top of our existing tools. (8th February 2019)

I will see if I can get an updated timeline tomorrow when I'm in the office. There is a blog going out soon with a lot of updates and I'm sure that will be in it, but I may be able to get you the answer sooner than the blog's arrival. (8th Febraury 2019)

there are no new regions being added in the panel update. By update, I mean that improved reference panels will have the potential to reassign some of your European results to more accurate regions and subregions. For example, if you were reading too high on UK but were actually more Irish, you are likely to see that improve (13th February 2019)

It could be released in March but I'd have my doubts and there has been no confirmation since then as far as I'm aware of. They've been slow introducing Family Networks so it could be similar with this update.

timberwolf
03-03-2019, 10:40 PM
A few months ago they were saying March but I don't think there's been any confirmation since then that it would be in March. Katie Welka of Living DNA was asked if results would be updated in March but as far as I know she never confirmed that it would be March.

When asked about an update in March these were her replies:

It could be released in March but I'd have my doubts and there has been no confirmation since then as far as I'm aware of. They've been slow introducing Family Networks so it could be similar with this update.

Seeing is believing , with this lot.

Nqp15hhu
03-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Any chance of me being able to upload?

03-03-2019, 10:59 PM
No update to my results, I am perplexed to why they feel they need a versioning results solution to Their ancestry breakdown, if they are confident of their new datasets, and their methodology, then there would be absolutely no need to see the old inaccurate results. I am sure they have backups, if something went wrong, I donít believe any other ancestry has the ability to show previous result milestones, so who are they trying to compete with?

People interested in previous results probably have already created screenshots. I could be wrong but itís not of interest to me, I would be more interested to be migrated over to choose to see these new ďBetaĒ results early, and any new Beta features.

Yorkie
03-23-2019, 10:51 AM
For info- I posted on the 'LivingDNA Results' thread a couple of days ago that I have received my updated dna profile from the company, which includes 'new Irish data', a few days ago. I had contacted the company directly at [email protected] in late February and received a reply from Melanie Colbridge this week. My Irish score has increased accurately, and my Central England, East Anglia, South-East England, South Central England, South- West Scotland/Northern Ireland, North-West Scotland and North Wales scores seem very accurate too. Good luck to other posters.

edwardsson
03-24-2019, 05:26 PM
I contacted Living DNA a few weeks ago and explained to them that my genealogy papers did not show any kind of British ancestry, and that should also be the case with Family Ancestry Map.

Now all the erroneous information about relatives in the UK is gone from my map and only now only Scandinavian, Germanic and Eastern parts of Europe are shown on the maps. The same goes for the rest of my family who has tested their DNA through Living DNA. Very good news.

03-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Still no update, and I must have been one of the early adopters of this test.

I do not see why we should contact them to apply the new datasets to our kit, they should not be doing this in an ad-hoc way.

They should keep us informed and apply new datasets more or less the same time, or give users the option to view result in Beta mode, if that is indeeed the case.

timberwolf
03-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Still no update, and I must have been one of the early adopters of this test.

I do not see why we should contact them to apply the new datasets to our kit, they should not be doing this in an ad-hoc way.

They should keep us informed and apply new datasets more or less the same time, or give users the option to view result in Beta mode, if that is indeeed the case.

The fact that people were able to contact them and have their results changed. Gives me even less confidence in them. As for me no change.

Mstock
03-24-2019, 08:45 PM
I emailed them about a month ago asking them to please update my kit and how it isn’t accurate. I still have not got a response back. Piss poor customer service if you ask me.

fostert
03-24-2019, 10:30 PM
At least their not over-hyping the impending update, but something tells me we're heading for nothing special anyways. The crazy hype-train that they made us ride on the way to "Family Networks" plunged my opinion of this company to an all-time low. Since December I still have only one match (an upload who I see on all other companies), no chromosome browser and no way to contact him (because their messaging system is not implemented). My fault for believing the hype. Now I wish I hadn't recommended them to my friend.

edwardsson
03-25-2019, 01:08 PM
I agree. It should have been done automatically by Living DNA.

Mstock
03-28-2019, 07:48 PM
I’m blown away I just recieved a reply back.

Thank you for contacting Living DNA. We are so very sorry you have been left waiting for a reply from us. This is not our normal response time and have now resolved the problems that led to a large volume of customer enquiries.

We are also sorry you have been disappointed by your results. Previously German DNA has been difficult to detect due to few samples on our data set and there being a close similarity of German DNA to other European countries.
However, we recognised this and embarked about research to improve our panels. We have now completed this and think we can improve your results by re-running our DNA.

In a couple of days I'll be back in touch to let you know that this has been done.

Family Networks in now operational- an error is keeping the "coming soon" message on our site. You should be able to go to view your test and click on family networks.

If you have any questions in the meantime please let me know,

Kind regards,

Mstock
03-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Update. I can’t even use the family network because it won’t let me consent to anything. It just keeps reloading. I’m really starting to lose all faith in livingdna.

boilermeschew827
03-29-2019, 01:17 AM
I’m blown away I just recieved a reply back.

Thank you for contacting Living DNA. We are so very sorry you have been left waiting for a reply from us. This is not our normal response time and have now resolved the problems that led to a large volume of customer enquiries.

We are also sorry you have been disappointed by your results. Previously German DNA has been difficult to detect due to few samples on our data set and there being a close similarity of German DNA to other European countries.
However, we recognised this and embarked about research to improve our panels. We have now completed this and think we can improve your results by re-running our DNA.

In a couple of days I'll be back in touch to let you know that this has been done.

Family Networks in now operational- an error is keeping the "coming soon" message on our site. You should be able to go to view your test and click on family networks.

If you have any questions in the meantime please let me know,

Kind regards,

So, in order to get an update with their German project reference panel we have to request it???

I still show no DNA relatives, but have quite a few matches on Gedmatch with LDNA kits.

I'll be curious to hear what you think about your results when you get them.

03-29-2019, 09:22 AM
So, in order to get an update with their German project reference panel we have to request it???

From what I have read here and other threads, that seems to be the case... shocking....

Pylsteen
03-29-2019, 10:09 AM
So is the initial Irish (and German??) update ready or not? If it is, it should be unrolled the next few months to all. If it is not, I think it would be best if they would tell us "no it is not yet ready to unroll for all" instead of providing some individuals updates in request, unless they are used for testing/evaluating the updates.

shazou
03-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Will those of us who've uploaded thru FindMyPast receive this update as well? :)

Mstock
03-29-2019, 07:34 PM
I got my update this morning! My results changed drastically. They definitely have improved significantly. Before I was 84% Great Britain now I have none. My grandmother was born in east anglia, so itís missing the 25%. Also I have around 6% Eastern Europe which is missing now. That used to be 11%. That seemed to get sunk into my Germanic category now yay! I had none before. My grandmother was half French and half Swedish Norwegian. So those numbers are right on the money!

Europe (North and West)100%
Germanic73.9%

France19.1%

Scandinavia7%

Pylsteen
03-29-2019, 08:09 PM
I sent a request. At the moment I have 68% British, 20% Scandinavian, only 1,5% Germanic. I think I will end up between British and Germanic anyhow. Generally I am close to South Dutch and West Germans, so they might perhaps also give me some French.

timberwolf
03-29-2019, 09:01 PM
I decided I would request my update as well.

shazou
03-29-2019, 09:05 PM
I decided I would request my update as well.
What's the email addy?

Amerijoe
03-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Did not receive an update to my original results, but I did an upload back in July under an alias and received results last Nov. They are different and not as regionally broken down as my tested sample.

I also uploaded my auntís info back on July, 2017. She is listed in Family Networks as a match to the alias but not my original tested results which has no matches. So, she is a match for one of me, but not the other me. She has an additional match, neither of me do not have additional matches.

Here is my original results as per their test.

Also, uploaded the alias results to MyHeritage and are broken down as follows.

I also have results from Geno 2 that has me as Danish and Norwegian. DNA COMEDY NIGHT WILL RETURN AFTER THIS SHORT INTERMISSION. :)

Pylsteen
03-29-2019, 09:23 PM
They seem to have a contact form these days, underneath "contact us", bottom of the page.

03-30-2019, 07:46 PM
From what I have read here and other threads, that seems to be the case... shocking....

Well I finally succumbed, and sent them an email, via their contact us page.

“Hi,
I have been waiting patiently for the March dataset updates, which should have updated my ancestry results to a more accurate picture of my ancestry, I have messaged you on Twitter a few times but you have ignored me.
I have been speaking to others in Anthrogenica, who have been updated, I am quite dissatisfied that you seem to be only updating kits on an ad hoc basis.
Nobody is interested in version control software to see previous results.
We just want the best/latest datasets applied to our kits.
We all know DNA research is a work in progress, and most resonable people understand this, I suggest you send this email to your MD, as I know he reads the Anthrogenica threads concerning LDNA.”

So let’s see if I get a reply.

boilermeschew827
03-30-2019, 07:51 PM
I did too, sent it in yesterday. The auto response said they would reply within 2 business weeks, but it looks like it's closer to a month from what I'm seeing...

Pylsteen
03-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Patience is key with these things always... best is to be busy with other stuff in the meantime.

Mstock
03-30-2019, 10:29 PM
The update is well worth the month wait. After contacting me back she said it would take three days to update but only took 1 day to rerun my kit.

edwardsson
03-31-2019, 10:22 AM
It took 2 days to get the new updated results for me, and another five hours to get the updated results for the rest of my family. I received the updates at the beginning of March after I asked them about the huge discrepancy between my paper trail and the result from Living DNA.

firemonkey
03-31-2019, 11:53 AM
2 weeks for a reply?! Why so long?

agil
03-31-2019, 05:36 PM
I've also sent a request today.

I score 100% Iberian in all ranges. It would be hilarious if they re-run my DNA and I still got 100% Iberian.

03-31-2019, 06:49 PM
I've also sent a request today.

I score 100% Iberian in all ranges. It would be hilarious if they re-run my DNA and I still got 100% Iberian.

What is your paper trail ?

agil
03-31-2019, 07:15 PM
What is your paper trail ?

3/4 Andalusian from different cities.

1/8 Castillian & Leonian

1/8 Aragonese

So basically Iberian with different regions which means that they got a pretty good DB for iberians.

On paper I also have german heritage from 1800, but it might be so little that it was not even detected. So Living DNA should be 100% accurate for me.

timberwolf
03-31-2019, 07:29 PM
I got a reply from LDNA in which they asked me what countries I was interested in updating. I asked for the Irish updated panel to be applied and also check why I got 10 % Iberian on my FMP upload.

03-31-2019, 07:55 PM
I got a reply from LDNA in which they asked me what countries I was interested in updating. I asked for the Irish updated panel to be applied and also check why I got 10 % Iberian on my FMP upload.

Why do they need to know which country you want to be updated, shouldn’t they just apply them all?

I mean who really knows 100% of all their ancestry?

timberwolf
03-31-2019, 08:03 PM
Why do they need to know which country you want to be updated, shouldn’t they just apply them all?

Exactly. Damn good question.

sktibo
04-01-2019, 03:58 AM

I think a fair whack of people know 100% of all their recent ancestry, (as in all ancestors up to 1700 or even 1600) which is as far back as any commercial test can claim because they use samples from living people or people who were living recently. Not most people by any means but there are some...

04-01-2019, 07:04 AM
I think a fair whack of people know 100% of all their recent ancestry, (as in all ancestors up to 1700 or even 1600) which is as far back as any commercial test can claim because they use samples from living people or people who were living recently. Not most people by any means but there are some...

But by the same measure, there would be a fair whack who do not know 100%, think of adoptees, and or children brought up with one parent like myself who have had to do some detective work and guesses, and still there are question marks on some lines, Not to mention family stories, in my case of a soldier circa early 19 C bringing home a French wife from the Naploeonic Wars.

sktibo
04-01-2019, 07:24 AM
But by the same measure, there would be a fair whack who do not know 100%, think of adoptees, and or children brought up with one parent like myself who have had to do some detective work and guesses, and still there are question marks on some lines, Not to mention family stories, in my case of a soldier circa early 19 C bringing home a French wife from the Naploeonic Wars.

I did say "not most people by any means, but some" because I don't think most people can reliably trace all ancestral lines to 1700. I certainly can't

04-01-2019, 08:06 AM
I did say "not most people by any means, but some" because I don't think most people can reliably trace all ancestral lines to 1700. I certainly can't

I know, but it’s just my gripe was with LivingDNA, asking customers which new dataset they want applied to their kit.

timberwolf
04-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Ok

I have my update

Cornwall 47
South Central 18
East Anglia 13
Iberia 6

The rest are minor percentages.

04-01-2019, 08:36 AM
Ok

I have my update

Cornwall 47
South Central 18
East Anglia 13
Iberia 6

Great, can you also post your previous results next to them, and what is your perception of the new results.

timberwolf
04-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Great, can you also post your previous results next to them, and what is your perception of the new results.

I think they are better. Cornwall is about half and both SC England and East Anglia are about right. Iberia is of greater interest to me as this population group turns up in virtually all calculators and I have no recorded continental ancestry. There has to be a reason why this consistently happens.

Cannot recall most of the details of my previous estimate but I did have 15.7 Lincolnshire which was totally unknown ancestry.

firemonkey
04-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Ok

I have my update

Cornwall 47
South Central 18
East Anglia 13
Iberia 6

How long did it take from asking for your update?

Dorkymon
04-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Just requested mine too; I don't expect much though. Right now I don't score even 0.1% in Romania and/or Moldova.

Kathlingram
04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
So these are my better updates.. Standard Sub regions
.. Although I did not save the prior ones I know it was about 29% Combined for my Irish and nothing for Scandinavia or Germany.. This one is looking at Baltic area.. I do have Swedish 3rd Great Grandparents and another more distant Great from Norway as well as a group of 5th greats who were Palatinates into Philadelphia via Rotterdam..
this is in line ( a bit less though) With my other Geographic results..
I am OK with it.. yes it took 2 years..
Great Britain and Ireland 96.8%
Ireland 34%
North Wales 19.9%
South Central England 13.1%
Southeast England 11.5%
Devon 2.9%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 2.7%
Aberdeenshire 2.4%
South England 2%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 8.2%
Europe (North and West) 3.2%
Scandinavia 3.2%

Kathlingram
04-01-2019, 11:33 AM
So these are my better updates.. Standard Sub regions
.. Although I did not save the prior ones I know it was about 29% Combined for my Irish and nothing for Scandinavia or Germany.. This one is looking at Baltic area.. I do have Swedish 3rd Great Grandparents and another more distant Great from Norway as well as a group of 5th greats who were Palatinates into Philadelphia via Rotterdam..
this is in line ( a bit less though) With my other Geographic results..
I am OK with it.. yes it took 2 years..
Great Britain and Ireland 96.8%
Ireland 34%
North Wales 19.9%
South Central England 13.1%
Southeast England 11.5%
Devon 2.9%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 2.7%
Aberdeenshire 2.4%
South England 2%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 8.2%
Europe (North and West) 3.2%
Scandinavia 3.2%

THIS is AncestryDNA Ethnicity Estimate Updates 
Ireland & Scotland53%Donegal, Ireland North West Donegal West Donegal Inishowen
Leinster, Ireland

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe44% Wales & the West Midlands
North Wales Norway3%

and 23andme 86.7% British & Irish
6.2% French & German
0.7%Spanish & Portuguese

So getting there for sure..

The heavy Wales is that my father's father ( My grandfather) was apparently an undisclosed young uncle of my grandmother..!/2 of her line was that..and Dad's bio father must have added 25% to that as not one else of my Carrow line cousins have such large % of Wales.. which look closer than is likely but NOT close enough to be a Welsh grandfather at all

sktibo
04-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Ok

I have my update

Cornwall 47
South Central 18
East Anglia 13
Iberia 6

No Ireland at all? A promising set of results I suppose!

evon
04-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Just requested mine too; I don't expect much though. Right now I don't score even 0.1% in Romania and/or Moldova.

Did you request it via FB or via mail?

Dorkymon
04-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Did you request it via FB or via mail?

Mail, when this form (https://support.livingdna.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) is completed, you will get linked to their zendesk account in the inbox and be able to continue your conversation.

Robert1
04-01-2019, 02:02 PM
LivingDNA updating ancestry on March...

April Fools! :biggrin1:

timberwolf
04-01-2019, 06:10 PM
No Ireland at all? A promising set of results I suppose!

2.7% Which is insignificant.

04-01-2019, 06:30 PM
2.7% Which is insignificant.

Do you really think itís insignificant? As in noise? or just shared ancient segments with Ireland? Or could it be somebody within the last 10 gemerations?
I understand itís a very minor amount of your result.

Trelvern
04-01-2019, 06:46 PM
LivingDNA updating ancestry on March...

April Fools! :biggrin1:

Beware le poisson díavril !

timberwolf
04-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Do you really think it’s insignificant? As in noise? or just shared ancient segments with Ireland? Or could it be somebody within the last 10 gemerations?
I understand it’s a very minor amount of your result.

In regards having a Irish panel applied in which people have received significant increases in Irish 2.7 is insignificant. Could it reflect an ancestral line unknown yes o;course. I also received 2% South Wales. I have some Williams and Jones on my tree who were Cornish could they have been Welsh further back in time, again yes.

agil
04-02-2019, 10:06 AM
I got this answer:

Thanks for getting in touch with us to find out more about our new panels and any updates to your results.

We are currently in the process of updating our panels and after our fabulous science team have finished building and testing these we will be rolling out them out to everyone within Living DNA. As these panels are close to being finished we have decided to wait until they are complete before updating everyone, as this would mean updating all the results multiple times in such a small space of time.

If you do not feel like your results are reflective of what you know your ancestry to be you are welcome to fill out our qualifying survey. Your responses will then be sent to our science team to determine whether they will re-process your results before the planned time.

Please let us know if you are happy for us to send you this survey and we will get this to you as soon as possible.

If after filling out the survey and sending it back to us you donít qualify then please be assured we will be running updates to your results in the coming months automatically.

agil
04-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Double post my bad

firemonkey
04-02-2019, 11:30 AM
I got the same email . It seems to be a bog standard template for such a situation.

agil
04-02-2019, 11:56 AM
I got the same email . It seems to be a bog standard template for such a situation.

Yep, the amount of requests to rerun must have blown up since I have seen this thread linked to other forums, and now they are basically telling us to fuck off and wait.

JFWinstone
04-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Yeah I also got the same email.

deadly77
04-02-2019, 12:12 PM
I also got the same email verbatim - I think you're right. I wasn't in a hurry for updated results but it seemed from posts on here that updates were only being delivered if specifically requested from LivingDNA on an individual basis, so I sent in a request via email.

I'm a bit concerned that LivingDNA's email offers the opportunity to fill out a survey of your ancestry in order for their science team to re-process results before the full rollout. That rather smacks of fudging the results to meet expectations.

04-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Well I finally succumbed, and sent them an email, via their contact us page.

“Hi,
I have been waiting patiently for the March dataset updates, which should have updated my ancestry results to a more accurate picture of my ancestry, I have messaged you on Twitter a few times but you have ignored me.
I have been speaking to others in Anthrogenica, who have been updated, I am quite dissatisfied that you seem to be only updating kits on an ad hoc basis.
Nobody is interested in version control software to see previous results.
We just want the best/latest datasets applied to our kits.
We all know DNA research is a work in progress, and most resonable people understand this, I suggest you send this email to your MD, as I know he reads the Anthrogenica threads concerning LDNA.”

So let’s see if I get a reply.

Got a reply, seems like they want me to jump through a few loops....

(Living DNA)
Apr 2, 10:41 BST

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting in touch with us to find out more about our new panels and any updates to your results.

We are currently in the process of updating our panels and after our fabulous science team have finished building and testing these we will be rolling out them out to everyone within Living DNA. As these panels are close to being finished we have decided to wait until they are complete before updating everyone, as this would mean updating all the results multiple times in such a small space of time.

If you do not feel like your results are reflective of what you know your ancestry to be you are welcome to fill out our qualifying survey. Your responses will then be sent to our science team to determine whether they will re-process your results before the planned time.

Please let us know if you are happy for us to send you this survey and we will get this to you as soon as possible.

If after filling out the survey and sending it back to us you don’t qualify then please be assured we will be running updates to your results in the coming months automatically.”

Did anybody else have to fill out a survey and then get vetted?
Little bit annoyed to be honest.

04-02-2019, 12:35 PM
I also got the same email verbatim - I think you're right. I wasn't in a hurry for updated results but it seemed from posts on here that updates were only being delivered if specifically requested from LivingDNA on an individual basis, so I sent in a request via email.

I'm a bit concerned that LivingDNA's email offers the opportunity to fill out a survey of your ancestry in order for their science team to re-process results before the full rollout. That rather smacks of fudging the results to meet expectations.
Exactly my thoughts and concern.

boilermeschew827
04-02-2019, 12:53 PM
I got the same email and replied requesting the survey.

I agree it is a weird and I am a little annoyed, but I also look at it as if they are trying to sharpen their pencils so to speak. I worded my response "if it helps everyone, sure I'll do the survey."

While I don't want them to just take my ancestry and adjust my results to reflect that, maybe they can see what issues their reference panels, chip etc...have before rolling out an update. We'll see what happens from here I suppose. I don't think I'll qualify anyways - too much mixture between France and Germany on my tree pulling me one way or the other, I think.

firemonkey
04-02-2019, 01:34 PM

Yes that is a good point you've made.

04-02-2019, 02:29 PM
LDNA have thrown a curved ball at us, I am unsure what to do.

Hatton1995
04-02-2019, 02:30 PM
I emailed them yesterday and the conversation just basically went like:
Me: Give me update
Livingdna: sure
Today I got the update. I never got asked for a survey.

04-02-2019, 02:47 PM
I emailed them yesterday and the conversation just basically went like:
Me: Give me update
Livingdna: sure
Today I got the update. I never got asked for a survey.

Thanks, I guess now they are getting overloaded with requests, still Not happy with their response, just emailed them again.

“Looks like you did not read my email, and just pasted a response to me, that is quite insulting.

As well you know the original Irish panel, was flawed as it just hand about 3 entries, and this will have skewed all the other British regions towards them.

So I again request you to update my results with the new panels”

JFWinstone
04-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Well here is a comparison chart for myself, I've highlighted the livingdna, East/Southeast Asian looks on the low side and completely missing South Asian altogether :\. The 23andme South Asian is a little on the low side, it was 4% prior to the V4 update but I think it will go back up once V4 have the South Asia update.

https://i.imgur.com/3cEf44f.png

Dorkymon
04-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Well here is a comparison chart for myself, I've highlighted the livingdna, East/Southeast Asian looks on the low side and completely missing South Asian altogether :\. The 23andme South Asian is a little on the low side, it was 4% prior to the V4 update but I think it will go back up once V4 have the South Asia update.

https://i.imgur.com/3cEf44f.png

That's why some people are requesting reruns. Their original results could be trash tier.

Dewsloth
04-02-2019, 03:11 PM

I got the email this morning. I don't mind filling out the survey, but as you say we are now stuck wondering if it will be cause for them skewing the results.
In Dad's case, they hit every British region I know we have ancestry from perfectly on their first try, but totally missed Germany (but he got over 8% Scandinavian, which doesn't show at all on paper).
It will be interesting to see if the small British regions stay and the overflow of SE English is correctly re-apportioned to Germany (or, at least, the continent).

firemonkey
04-02-2019, 03:28 PM
I am wondering whether LDNA's algorithm is set up to intentionally accentuate any British ancestry there might be .

Using Tolan's recent ancestry tool-

Living dna to Ancestry dna

Component %
5-British&Irish 87.04%
28-Scandinavia 8.69%
24-Wadden-sea 2.8%
14-France 1.35%
16-Iberia 0.1%
11-Finland&White-Sea 0.01%
15-South-Germany 0.01%

Ancestry dna

Component %
5-British&Irish 79.19%
28-Scandinavia 15.06%
24-Wadden-sea 5.57%
1-Amerindian 0.18%
14-France 0.01%

evon
04-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Yep, the amount of requests to rerun must have blown up since I have seen this thread linked to other forums, and now they are basically telling us to fuck off and wait.

I got the same reply, I will wait, not worth the hassle :p

Pylsteen
04-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Same reply, not unexpected; number of requests must have risen quite a bit after they said "yes" to some individuals. Well, at least it is a signal that they cannot wait too long now.

vettor
04-02-2019, 05:13 PM
I am very disappointed with Living DNA
I had my samples removed and my account in full , terminated

I found no semblance of what they are trying to do or what goals they where aiming for ............... it seems they are wandering aimlessly in circles

I joined in October 2017

Kathlingram
04-02-2019, 05:21 PM
I got the same email and replied requesting the survey.

I agree it is a weird and I am a little annoyed, but I also look at it as if they are trying to sharpen their pencils so to speak. I worded my response "if it helps everyone, sure I'll do the survey."

While I don't want them to just take my ancestry and adjust my results to reflect that, maybe they can see what issues their reference panels, chip etc...have before rolling out an update. We'll see what happens from here I suppose. I don't think I'll qualify anyways - too much mixture between France and Germany on my tree pulling me one way or the other, I think.

SO when I requested to have my results I said this:"I am ( and was) 86.7% Irish & British at 23andme where I was a Beta tester in 2009
I am close to that in AncestryDNA with 53% Irish/Scottish
I have a set of 2nd Great grandparents from Sweden and another group of more distant Palatinates which gives me some German everywhere else.
The Beta Matching has been very unsatisfactory..
I would like to request my Irish Updates at this point as others have gotten them I know.
If possible I would also like the promised German samples.
I am NOT 100% British Isles and Ireland.. it is at least 7-10% Swedish and German/Swiss"

Perhaps they did mine because I provided a bit of evidence ?? Wondering.. I am happy with my results I must say.. After two full years!!

RVBLAKE
04-02-2019, 05:34 PM
I am wondering whether LDNA's algorithm is set up to intentionally accentuate any British ancestry there might be .

Using Tolan's recent ancestry tool-

Living dna to Ancestry dna

Component %
5-British&Irish 87.04%
28-Scandinavia 8.69%
24-Wadden-sea 2.8%
14-France 1.35%
16-Iberia 0.1%
11-Finland&White-Sea 0.01%
15-South-Germany 0.01%

Ancestry dna

Component %
5-British&Irish 79.19%
28-Scandinavia 15.06%
24-Wadden-sea 5.57%
1-Amerindian 0.18%
14-France 0.01%

I believe that to be true. They give me 86% British and Irish, an impossibly high figure.

boilermeschew827
04-02-2019, 06:46 PM
SO when I requested to have my results I said this:"I am ( and was) 86.7% Irish & British at 23andme where I was a Beta tester in 2009
I am close to that in AncestryDNA with 53% Irish/Scottish
I have a set of 2nd Great grandparents from Sweden and another group of more distant Palatinates which gives me some German everywhere else.
The Beta Matching has been very unsatisfactory..
I would like to request my Irish Updates at this point as others have gotten them I know.
If possible I would also like the promised German samples.
I am NOT 100% British Isles and Ireland.. it is at least 7-10% Swedish and German/Swiss"

Perhaps they did mine because I provided a bit of evidence ?? Wondering.. I am happy with my results I must say.. After two full years!!

That's good to know!

I did state in my response that my EE and Finnish/NW Russian were reflective of my ancestry (@ 43.7%), but the remaining 56.3% of my current estimate (40% of that being listed as Great Britain) should be French, German and Scandinavian.

We shall see what they say, if they say anything.

ICAM2017
04-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Thanks, I guess now they are getting overloaded with requests, still Not happy with their response, just emailed them again.

ďLooks like you did not read my email, and just pasted a response to me, that is quite insulting.

As well you know the original Irish panel, was flawed as it just hand about 3 entries, and this will have skewed all the other British regions towards them.

So I again request you to update my results with the new panelsĒ

I only emailed them based on posts here that said they got a positive response to a new Irish Upgrade. Have now also got the same generic reply 'to wait'. Actually I am ok with that, if it means they can devote more time to testing so as to release the update to everyone. LivingDNA and Ancestry ethnicity results are similar % wise and more inline with my expected, though light on Irish and a heavier weight to England. In comparison to MyHeritage & FTDNA Ethnicity Estimates they are way better.

04-02-2019, 09:52 PM
I only emailed them based on posts here that said they got a positive response to a new Irish Upgrade. Have now also got the same generic reply 'to wait'. Actually I am ok with that, if it means they can devote more time to testing so as to release the update to everyone. LivingDNA and Ancestry ethnicity results are similar % wise and more inline with my expected, though light on Irish and a heavier weight to England. In comparison to MyHeritage & FTDNA Ethnicity Estimates they are way better.

Yes I got that standard email response, which seems now to be the new normal, was not happy as they ignored my points in my email, and felt a little insulted.
The problem with LivingDNA promises of timescales is they are alway late, and not by a little, but by allot.

timberwolf
04-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Looks like I got a bit lucky and got in before the avalanche of requests.

Al a bit hopeless actually.

JMcB
04-03-2019, 03:36 AM
Yes I got that standard email response, which seems now to be the new normal, was not happy as they ignored my points in my email, and felt a little insulted.
The problem with LivingDNA promises of timescales is they are alway late, and not by a little, but by allot.

Interesting, I got a different response that was clearly more vague. Perhaps, because I asked them when the early adopters were going to get their updates. Considering, that many who purchased their tests after we did, were now posting thier updates. While the early supporters of LDNA weren’t seeing any.

Their response:

Mar 29, 15:35 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you and of course we love all our customers old and new! There is no real correlation to who's results are updated and when. It's to do with the DNA group you are apart of and what changes of patterns are seen as our knowledge and database grows.

We update any results as and when there are updates available. This may be very a small update years down the line, or a slightly larger one more frequently. There is definitely no preference for who is updated over others though.

All we can advise is to keep checking back when you can. In the meantime we hope that you are still enjoying your results and being apart of the Living DNA family.

Kind regards,

And my original email:

Mar 24, 20:34 GMT

Hello LDNA,

I was wondering if you can give me an idea of when those of us who were early adopters of Living DNA - my test dates back to October of 2016 - will be seeing our updated results come in. From what I’ve heard the update to the Irish panel was done a long time ago and people who purchased their tests long after I did, are seeing their results updated. With many of them posting their new results on a variety of genetic forums and Facebook pages. While those of us who supported LDNA from the beginning are not seeing anything of the kind.

Any information you can give me in this regard, would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Regards,

timberwolf
04-03-2019, 03:43 AM
Interesting, I got a different response that was clearly more vague. Perhaps, because I asked them when the early adopters were going to get their updates. Considering, that many who purchased their tests after we did, were now posting thier updates. While the early supporters of LDNA weren’t seeing any.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you and of course we love all our customers old and new! There is no real correlation to who's results are updated and when. It's to do with the DNA group you are apart of and what changes of patterns are seen as our knowledge and database grows.

We update any results as and when there are updates available. This may be very a small update years down the line, or a slightly larger one more frequently. There is definitely no preference for who is updated over others though.

All we can advise is to keep checking back when you can. In the meantime we hope that you are still enjoying your results and being apart of the Living DNA family.

Kind regards,

For real? No Surely not, they did not email you that.

JMcB
04-03-2019, 03:52 AM
For real? No Surely not, they did not email you that.

I’m afraid they indeed did!

timberwolf
04-03-2019, 03:57 AM
I’m afraid they indeed did!

They should have at least put love and kisses st the bottom of the email.

Seriously not the most professional of responses. I would be irate if I had received that.

Not helpful at the least.

sktibo
04-03-2019, 04:08 AM
Living DNA presents an interesting situation. I don't consider them to be more accurate for most people than say Ancestry and or 23andme, yet there's definitely something which is much more thrilling than any other commercial test. Although I was lucky enough to have an early update, I'm looking forward to the mass rollout to see more variance in how the percentages are assigned to myself. It's definitely not as accurate as Ancestry DNA but I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen.

JMcB
04-03-2019, 04:12 AM

Seriously not the most professional of responses. I would be irate if I had received that.

Well, considering that they’ve openly been talking about a new and upcoming update, it was a little bit disingenuous. However, not enough to make me irate. I usually save that for the evening Newscast. ;-)

04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

So, they answered me again, I think now I will leave it alone, and put it down as a bad experience, and wait probably a long time....

From LDNA
“We have had lots of individual requests to update results through the new panels and we are working hard to answer them so we put together a detailed response to deal with this - apologies if you found this insulting as this was not our intention, it was merely to respond as quickly as possible to you. As we are not quite ready to update everyones on a mass scale we are asking that individual requests consent to us sending them a survey to fill out so we can look at your response to see if we can help.

If you would like us to send a survey once it's ready to send please can you respond to say you're happy for us to do this?“

04-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Their response:

Hi,

Kind regards,

And my original email:

Mar 24, 20:34 GMT

Hello LDNA,

I was wondering if you can give me an idea of when those of us who were early adopters of Living DNA - my test dates back to October of 2016 - will be seeing our updated results come in. From what I’ve heard the update to the Irish panel was done a long time ago and people who purchased their tests long after I did, are seeing their results updated. With many of them posting their new results on a variety of genetic forums and Facebook pages. While those of us who supported LDNA from the beginning are not seeing anything of the kind.

Any information you can give me in this regard, would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Regards,

Interesting at least, they did infact read your email. I think LDNA, are as fed up as their customers.
I think they need to be more transparent and honest with customers about what is going on.

Theconqueror
04-03-2019, 02:51 PM
They oversold. They failed. They likely hit the wall while doing QA (sampling, ancestry assignment). They also didn't have proper understanding of the complexity of backend implementation (automation, versioning, DB management).

Kathlingram
04-03-2019, 03:20 PM
So, they answered me again, I think now I will leave it alone, and put it down as a bad experience, and wait probably a long time....

From LDNA
“We have had lots of individual requests to update results through the new panels and we are working hard to answer them so we put together a detailed response to deal with this - apologies if you found this insulting as this was not our intention, it was merely to respond as quickly as possible to you. As we are not quite ready to update everyones on a mass scale we are asking that individual requests consent to us sending them a survey to fill out so we can look at your response to see if we can help.

If you would like us to send a survey once it's ready to send please can you respond to say you're happy for us to do this?“

That really is terrible.. I am NOT happy with them, only satisfied with the Upgrade after 2 full years.. I DID tell them their Beta was awful..
What I did not say ( but someone should) is that if other companies like Gedmatch and My Heritage can get SOME matches with Living DNA they they are ABYSMAL at this..One of their UK genealogists encouraged me to test.. Perhaps they realized the connection..
I never expect to get matches and I told them to take my son's upgrade out.. they said they will but it's not done yet.. he's my only match in their Beta

04-03-2019, 03:25 PM
That really is terrible.. I am NOT happy with them, only satisfied with the Upgrade after 2 full years.. I DID tell them their Beta was awful..
What I did not say ( but someone should) is that if other companies like Gedmatch and My Heritage can get SOME matches with Living DNA they they are ABYSMAL at this..One of their UK genealogists encouraged me to test.. Perhaps they realized the connection..
I never expect to get matches and I told them to take my son's upgrade out.. they said they will but it's not done yet.. he's my only match in their Beta

Regarding the matching, I have a theory that their code is heavily throttled to only show immediate family. Not sure why but my gues is, I think they might be struggling to deliver results in a relationship tree as they envisioned.

Kathlingram
04-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Regarding the matching, I have a theory that their code is heavily throttled to only show immediate family. Not sure why but my gues is, I think they might be struggling to deliver results in a relationship tree as they envisioned.

You're probably correct with that.. I do know I have matches and can see a few elsewhere BTW I lied I just saw this:"We haven't caught you any matches yet" SO they removed my son..Why help them?

JFWinstone
04-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Interestingly their Great Britain and Ireland category is about the same as my British & Irish on 23andme. 55.6% Germanic seems rather inflated though.

timberwolf
04-03-2019, 08:21 PM
How long did it take from asking for your update?

About 24 hours. But it looks I got in before they pulled the ladder up.

firemonkey
04-03-2019, 08:28 PM
About 24 hours. But it looks I got in before they pulled the ladder up.

I asked too late. I'll probably have to ages for the update.

timberwolf
04-03-2019, 08:31 PM
With the cautious mode

Cornwall related 51.3
Southeast England related 20.3
East Anglia 13
Orkney related 2.2
GB unassigned 6.9
Iberian related 6.2

Mstock
04-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Complete and standard are exactly the same. My cautious is 100% northwest Europe.

JMcB
04-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Alright, after being “incited to riot” by timberwolf ;), I decided to write back to LDNA and get them to clarify their position.

My email is at the bottom and here’s their reply.

Apr 4, 13:56 BST

Hi,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us to find out more about our new panels and any updates to your results.

I apologise if I didn't make myself clear enough before but I can confirm that we are currently in the process of updating our panels. After our science team have finished building and testing, we will be rolling them out to everyone within Living DNA. As these panels are close to being finished we have decided to wait until they are complete before updating everyone. Otherwise this would mean updating all the results, multiple times in a very small space of time.

If you do not feel like your results are reflective of what you know your ancestry to be, you are welcome to fill out our qualifying survey. Your responses will then be sent to our science team to determine whether they will re-process your results before the planned time.

If after filling out the survey and sending it back to us you don’t qualify, then please be assured we will be running updates to your results in the coming months automatically.

Kind regards,
____

My email

Apr 3, 16:49 BST

Hello _____

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I have to say it’s left me a little confused.

For months now, LDNA has been promoting a new and upcoming update on your Facebook page. One that’s supposed to be across the board for all clients. While some of your customers have contacted you and gotten their results released early. I’ve seen their new results posted on a variety of genetic forums, along with the correspondences they had with LDNA. Some of which, mention filling out a Survey you’ve been conducting beforehand. Yet your response would lead me to belief that there’s no new update planned and that they just come along here and there as warranted.

Are you saying that LDNA is not planning on rolling out a new across the board update for their clients in the near future?

Regards,

Dorkymon
04-04-2019, 07:15 PM
I got this answer:

If after filling out the survey and sending it back to us you donít qualify then please be assured we will be running updates to your results in the coming months automatically.

I've received the same and asked for the survey.

JMcB
04-04-2019, 07:43 PM
I've received the same and asked for the survey.

Yeah, I told them to send it also. I’ll take a look at it and see if I want to answer their questions. Although, I may let it slide, too. We’ll see.

Mstock
04-04-2019, 08:30 PM
That’s funny how everyone is getting the run around. Here is a quote a customer service rep sent me before they updated me. “We are also sorry you have been disappointed by your results. Previously German DNA has been difficult to detect due to few samples on our data set and there being a close similarity of German DNA to other European countries.

BackToTheForests
04-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Has anyone gotten the survey yet?

04-09-2019, 02:36 PM
Has anyone gotten the survey yet?

I didn’t bother asking them, lost allot of faith in them, I will just wait.

BackToTheForests
04-09-2019, 02:41 PM
I didn’t bother asking them, lost allot of faith in them, I will just wait.

The entire idea of a survey seems sketchy to me, I'm curious as to how much information they are trying to get out of people. I also agree with your sentiment, they were the company I had the highest hopes in, it's a shame really.

msmarjoribanks
04-13-2019, 07:21 PM
I've still not heard back since I asked them to rerun the results. They sent me a canned response saying it could be 2 weeks, however. My guess is they won't.

BackToTheForests
04-16-2019, 12:47 PM
I've gotten the survey (after sending another email to inquire), the questions are:

Before taking the test, did you have any specific expectations of what you might see in your results based on your known family history and/or paper trail research? *
A
Yes
B
No
C
Not sure

How closely did your results match your expected ancestry? With 1 being the least close and 5 being very accurate. Select 0 if you had no expectations of what your ancestry might be. *

In the current version of your results, are there any regions that are completely unexpected or have been assigned a higher percentage than you expected?

In the current version of your results, are there any expected regions that are missing completely, or regions that have a much lower than expected percentage?

What are the first languages of your grandparents?

I'm not sure what the asterisk means on some of the questions, there's no explanation for it on the survey page.

Edit: Character space for the answers is very limited. Of course I wanted to send them a mini-novel but couldn't, I'm not sure exactly how much detail LivingDNA is actually expecting, maybe they are not fishing too deep for answers.

JFWinstone
04-16-2019, 03:18 PM
I got the survey today and sent it back. Will see if anything comes of it.

boilermeschew827
04-16-2019, 04:05 PM
I also sent mine back this morning. I guess we'll see what happens.

firemonkey
04-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Where's the barcode?!

firemonkey
04-16-2019, 05:27 PM
WTF! Now under My tests I've just got 5 listed all with order date 28 Mar 2019.

BackToTheForests
04-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Where's the barcode?!

WTF! Now under My tests I've just got 5 listed all with order date 28 Mar 2019.

The barcode is your test number, a.k.a. LD"string of numbers". After I sent the survey my tests disappeared entirely, I had three on there, LDNA must be tired of me :lol:

firemonkey
04-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Thanks now they want when the current version of results was received. All I had a record of was that the order date was in Oct 2016(can't say exactly because all 5 are now showing 28 Mar 2019!) but no record of when actual results were received, or if results have ever been updated since then .

BackToTheForests
04-16-2019, 05:56 PM
Thanks now they want when the current version of results was received. All I had a record of was that the order date was in Oct 2016(can't say exactly because all 5 are now showing 28 Mar 2019!) but no record of when actual results were received, or if results have ever been updated since then .

I used the search function in my email to find the "results ready" message and used that date.

Also, I had to type "Living DNA" to get a result, apparently the space in between is important.

firemonkey
04-16-2019, 06:23 PM
I used the search function in my email to find the "results ready" message and used that date.

Also, I had to type "Living DNA" to get a result, apparently the space in between is important.

It seems I've deleted that one. I've emailed David Nicholson.

Kathlingram
04-16-2019, 08:54 PM
My kit also now has March 28 2019.. I got it in April 2017 though.. March 30th was when they upgraded me
My son's upload that I requested them to delete..just because they annoy me, and that was the only match I had says the kit being deleted was just complete but he disappeared from my Beta a couple weeks ago..
They are a mess..

JFWinstone
04-16-2019, 10:06 PM
Mine have disappeared from the my tests page too

Dorkymon
04-16-2019, 10:10 PM
I've gotten the survey (after sending another email to inquire), the questions are:

Before taking the test, did you have any specific expectations of what you might see in your results based on your known family history and/or paper trail research? *
A
Yes
B
No
C
Not sure

How closely did your results match your expected ancestry? With 1 being the least close and 5 being very accurate. Select 0 if you had no expectations of what your ancestry might be. *

In the current version of your results, are there any regions that are completely unexpected or have been assigned a higher percentage than you expected?

In the current version of your results, are there any expected regions that are missing completely, or regions that have a much lower than expected percentage?

What are the first languages of your grandparents?

I'm not sure what the asterisk means on some of the questions, there's no explanation for it on the survey page.

Edit: Character space for the answers is very limited. Of course I wanted to send them a mini-novel but couldn't, I'm not sure exactly how much detail LivingDNA is actually expecting, maybe they are not fishing too deep for answers.

I've also received it today, but I didn't remind them.

Dorkymon
04-16-2019, 10:19 PM
The barcode is your test number, a.k.a. LD"string of numbers". After I sent the survey my tests disappeared entirely, I had three on there, LDNA must be tired of me :lol:

That's good news. I suspect they can re-run your data.

04-17-2019, 07:32 AM
How strange, I did not request the survey, but my tests have disappeared.

ajc347
04-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Both mine an my mum's tests have disappeared as well and I've not requested any survey or update from them either.

04-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Both mine an my mum's tests have disappeared as well and I've not requested any survey or update from them either.

Interesting, could be an update is imminent then....?
Admittedly I did request an update, but then declined to request survey.

Dorkymon
04-17-2019, 12:02 PM

The Isles users could receive an update, because mine are still there.

04-17-2019, 12:08 PM
The Isles users could receive an update, because mine are still there.

Will be interesting then, when others from outside the Isles, pipe up about their kit status.
Although I ordered my test, and did it while I was living in Germany.

edwardsson
04-17-2019, 12:10 PM
When I use Safari on my MacBook Pro, all the tests have disappeared, but when I use Chrome, I'll see them again and nearly all date are changed to 28 March 2019.

Update: it works also with Firefox, not only Chrome.

04-17-2019, 12:14 PM
When I use Safari on my MacBook Pro, all the tests have disappeared, but when I use Chrome, I'll see them again and nearly all date are changed to 28 March 2019.

Thanks interesting, I am using an iPad with the native safari browser.
Did your results change?

04-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Thanks interesting, I am using an iPad with the native safari browser.
Did your results change?

Strangely works with chrome browser...��

edwardsson
04-17-2019, 01:19 PM
All of my family's results changed already in the middle of March. As far as I can tell I do not see any more changes. I hope they will be able to provide us with an even deeper analysis of the haplogroups and their subclades.

Nive1526
04-17-2019, 01:24 PM
I didn't request any updates and my kit is still there, but also dated on March 28, 2019.
Ordered from Germany.

04-17-2019, 02:43 PM
I didn't request any updates and my kit is still there, but also dated on March 28, 2019.
Ordered from Germany.

So by the logic learned above, you are not using a safari browser? But something else?

04-17-2019, 02:58 PM
So by the logic learned above, you are not using a safari browser? But something else?

Just installed chrome on iOS, and its the same as safari, no tests are showing there.

JMcB
04-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Intriguingly, my test seems to have vanished no matter what browser Iím using (Safari or Firefox).

talombo
04-17-2019, 04:35 PM
delete

firemonkey
04-17-2019, 05:32 PM
Still waiting for David Nicholson to get back to me.

Kathlingram
04-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Am not sure where on this site I should /could post this.. One of the folks I assist with DNA asked me about a match at Genesis that indicated "low overlap".. I was unclear about that so looked around..I knew it had to do with the difference in chips and apparently John Olson or his partner posted this:"April 6 2019 - Trying to figure out which testing company kit should be used? Combine all your test data into one superkit that will give you the best of all worlds every time you use it! New on Tier 1 "

So I had a Superkit made this AM.. ( Signed into Tier 1 for a month) It does makes a difference one to one.. Maybe will help with Living DNA matches.. why can't They do that themselves..Sigh..

ALSO If someone can help me.. How Can I affix my gedmatch #s on my profile here?? I am clueless :confused:
here is my new # only 1-1 until tomorrow Superkit UH400001C1

BackToTheForests
04-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Still waiting for David Nicholson to get back to me.

It's a shame that they don't include the testing timeline in the "Test Details" section.

This entire debacle has me extremely curious, what is the threshold for who's survey gets accepted/rejected? Any thoughts? The questions only had enough character space for, in my opinion, rather vague answers.

Dewsloth
04-17-2019, 07:37 PM
I answered Dad's survey (he forwarded it to me :lol: ) so he'll be part of our test pool for those who do fill out and return the survey.
No change in his test results yet other than the test request date had already changed to March 2019 before we did the survey so I had to guess when answering the date of the first test. I knew the month and year, but not the day.

FionnSneachta
04-17-2019, 07:59 PM
All my kits have an order date 28th March 2019 as well despite having never received or asked for a survey. Interestingly my dad's kit now has quality review written as the status. I can still see his results though. However, when I go into the research section for my three kits an oops appears and redirects me to the login page before I can read it in full. I had to quickly take a screenshot so that I could read it. It just reads 'Oops! An Error Occurred The server returned a '404 Not Found'. Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.' I had previously filled in the research section for all my family.

Perhaps there is some hope that there will be an update soon since this could be why it's glitching at the moment.

Kathlingram
04-17-2019, 08:15 PM
All my kits have an order date 28th March 2019 as well despite having never received or asked for a survey. Interestingly my dad's kit now has quality review written as the status. I can still see his results though. However, when I go into the research section for my three kits an oops appears and redirects me to the login page before I can read it in full. I had to quickly take a screenshot so that I could read it. It just reads 'Oops! An Error Occurred The server returned a '404 Not Found'. Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.' I had previously filled in the research section for all my family.

Perhaps there is some hope that there will be an update soon since this could be why it's glitching at the moment.

Someone on the Living DNA Facebook site posted he was told that System was updating and allow 72 hours for kits.. Not sure if that is true.. Mine is there but then I look at it on Chrome and I did have the update..

kujira692
04-18-2019, 04:37 PM
The "Order Date" for my test has also been changed to 28 March 2019. I had originally ordered it in June 2018 I believe, and I ordered it in Canada.

JMcB
04-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Mine is back up with the new order date; Order Date: 28 March 2019 but as far as the test results are concerned, nothing has changed.

04-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Mine is back up with the new order date; Order Date: 28 March 2019 but as far as the test results are concerned, nothing has changed.

Same here....>:(

Nive1526
04-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Yes, I am also using google chrome. Just for the record, these are my current results. Let's see how and when they will change.

Europe 98.8%

Europe (North and West) 39.4%

Germanic 39.4%

Great Britain and Ireland 34.9%

Southeast England 6.1%
South England 5.3%
Lincolnshire 5%
North Yorkshire 4.2%
Central England 3.9%
East Anglia 2.9%
South Central England 2.9%
Northumbria 1.9%
South Wales Border 1.6%
Aberdeenshire 1.1%

Europe (South) 23%

Tuscany 23%

Europe (East) 1.5%

Mordovia 1.5%

Near East 1.2%

Arabia 1.2%

Kathlingram
04-21-2019, 03:07 PM
I just saw this posted at the Living DNA Facebook page.. from David Nicholson ( I only occasionally look there only if I see a lot of activity);)
"Hi Everyone, over the coming months we will be having a number of core system changes that will allow us to release the new features we've been waiting to release. We're taking it in stages and during some big updates, people may experience difficulty viewing results or their accounts. One of the upgrades will allow us to post "maintenance' messages on the platform ahead of time so everyone is aware. Many thanks David"

Theconqueror
04-21-2019, 11:22 PM
ahah...

digital_noise
04-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Mine had a new order date of march 28th, said it was in QC. Now it said Complete but absolutely nothing changed, still the same results...

boilermeschew827
04-25-2019, 01:52 AM
I think LivingDNA is updating users who submitted surveys. I just checked and mine did change. I don't have Great Britain anymore, however...

My EE is about as accurate as FTDNA, it's too high - this increased about 20%.

My German and Scandinavian are very close.

French is completely missing and I now have Ireland and Scotland - from where? Who knows...

Stephen1986
04-25-2019, 09:34 AM
My brother's kit, which was uploaded from another site, has been changed to Quality Review.

Nino90
04-25-2019, 09:38 AM
My brother's kit, which was uploaded from another site, has been changed to Quality Review.

Same.

FionnSneachta
04-25-2019, 12:34 PM
I think LivingDNA is updating users who submitted surveys. I just checked and mine did change. I don't have Great Britain anymore, however...

My EE is about as accurate as FTDNA, it's too high - this increased about 20%.

My German and Scandinavian are very close.

French is completely missing and I now have Ireland and Scotland - from where? Who knows...

That's interesting. There's a Scotland and Ireland region now? Are they your complete results?

BackToTheForests
04-25-2019, 02:56 PM
My updated results are okay, I don't know where Tuscany or Scandinavia comes from, my English subregions are still completely left field after these updates (my original English subregion results were actually pretty decent, giving me 4.5% Central England, 12.5% (out of a total of maybe 14%) of my English is West Midlands the rest being Colonial English from my mother). My East Anglia and South Central scores actually increased, I can't make any sense of it. I am happy to see my German finally well represented and my Baltic back to a reasonable percentage, I really believed that this would balance my English subregions but it seems I was wrong. This process has definitely strengthened my belief that these ethnicity estimates are absolutely useless in any genealogical sense and cannot be relied upon yet. Still fun, though.

digital_noise
04-25-2019, 03:54 PM
how do you contact them?

Dewsloth
04-25-2019, 03:54 PM
As I mentioned in the Irish thread, Dad's results just changed.
Now is it because of their testing, or is it because of the responses to the survey questions, or both? In any event, I think it's more accurate than before, and quite similar to Ancestry.com.

His Scandinavian is gone, as is his Italian; these had been about 20% of his report. Both may be real in a deep-ancestry sort of way, but we have no known ancestors from either going back at least 500 years.

Now he has German, which is a genuine improvement, because he was born there to a German father and a mother with some German and Swiss ancestry.
His British results have changed, besides the new presence of Irish, he now has the highest affinity for South Central England, and despite the unloading of some of his German-like British regions into real German, the results show he still has plenty from those regions, too. Our Griffith and Davis ancestors might be pleased to see Wales show up, finally.;)

New results:
Europe 98.9%
Great Britain and Ireland 55.6%
South Central England 21.3%
Southeast England 11.3%
East Anglia 8.3%
Ireland 3.3%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 3.1%
Lincolnshire 2.4%
Cornwall 1.9%
South Yorkshire 1.8%
Cumbria 1.1%
South Wales 1.1%

Europe (North and West) 40.7%
Germanic 40.7%

Europe (South) 2.6%
Aegean 2.6%
Near East 1.1%
Armenia and Cyprus 1.1%

Dad's latest results from Ancestry.com:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 51%
Germanic Europe 40%
European Jewish 5%
France 4%

The old LivingDNA breakdown from 2017:

Europe 100%
Great Britain and Ireland 71.1%
Southeast England 20.6%
East Anglia 13.6%
Lincolnshire 12.2%
South Central England 9.5%
South Yorkshire 4.7%
Cumbria 2.4%
Northwest Scotland 2.4%
Devon 2.3%
Cornwall 2.2%
North Yorkshire 1.2%

Europe (South) 14.3%
North Italy 11.1%
Aegean 3.2%

Europe (North and West) 8.2%
Scandinavia 8.2%

Europe (East) 6.4%
West Balkans 2.6%
East Balkans 2%
Finland and Western Russia 1.8%[/QUOTE]

BackToTheForests
04-25-2019, 04:27 PM
how do you contact them?

I went through [email protected] , if you’d like I could just message you the link to the survey.

digital_noise
04-25-2019, 04:27 PM
I went through [email protected] , if you’d like I could just message you the link to the survey.

I just sent an email but please do PM the link. Thanks

BackToTheForests
04-25-2019, 04:29 PM
I just sent an email but please do PM the link. Thanks

Sent.

digital_noise
04-25-2019, 04:38 PM
Sent.

Thanks! I appreciate it

boilermeschew827
04-25-2019, 05:03 PM
That's interesting. There's a Scotland and Ireland region now? Are they your complete results?

Yes, the Scotland and Ireland must be new? The results I posted are my complete. I've attached the three modes and my Ancestry and 23andMe tests for comparison.

Complete:

Standard:

Cautious:

23andMe:

Ancestry:

After letting the update digest last night, here are my thoughts...

My "Cautious" results do not make sense to me. That is a lot of Mordovian, Finnish and Baltic. My French is completely ignored with these results, which still confuses me since my grandmother is 100% French - I know this population is incredibly under-represented in reference panels, but still - I had 2.7% France prior to this update! At least it was something...maybe it went to Ireland and Scotland? Another confusing assignment in my case.

I've always felt my EE is beginning to increase to percentages that don't make sense and I'm not sure why. Comparing to my known paternal cousins, my Polish/Baltic should be much less. I don't think my German is being read as EE or Baltic after comparing results to my paternal grandma's German line. My total Finnish/Baltic/EE should be around 29% due to inheritance from my maternal Russian grandfather.

After seeing this update and receiving my AncestryDNA update back in September, I am starting to lose hope for accurate results with all of these updates. Perhaps I am too mixed between Western and Eastern Europe for these tests to be accurate in my case.

Despite their issues with "Ancestral Locations", 23andMe still has been the most accurate AC for myself.

FionnSneachta
04-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Yes, the Scotland and Ireland must be new? The results I posted are my complete. I've attached the three modes and my Ancestry and 23andMe tests for comparison.

Thanks. That's strange since other recently updated users like BackToTheForests just have Ireland by itself as well as the other Scottish categories separately in their results. The order of the colours are a bit different than usual too. The 4th highest region with a percentage is usually pink from what I've seen while yours is blue. After the brown colour, it's usually turquoise rather than purple from what I've seen. The format seems quite different for your results in terms of names and colour scheme.

Edit: I just noticed that the cautious results add up to 100.1%. It might be because Europe (East) should be 15.1% rather than 15.2% since the subcategories add up to 15.1%. I thought that Baltic and Finland would be the one colour when under the same cautious category of Europe (East). Could you attach the cautious map with the Mordovia-related and Scandinavia-related ancestry too? I would be interested to see what countries are shown under those categories in the map.

Dewsloth
04-25-2019, 05:14 PM
After letting the update digest last night, here are my thoughts...

My "Cautious" results do not make sense to me. That is a lot of Mordovian, Finnish and Baltic. My French is completely ignored with these results, which still confuses me since my grandmother is 100% French - I know this population is incredibly under-represented in reference panels, but still - I had 2.7% France prior to this update! At least it was something...maybe it went to Ireland and Scotland? Another confusing assignment in my case.

Could her ancestors be from one of the areas of France that look like something else? Alsace? Flanders area? Normandy?

boilermeschew827
04-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Could her ancestors be from one of the areas of France that look like something else? Alsace? Flanders area? Normandy?

Not within the last 200-250 years. They have been in Indre, Centre, France for as long as my cousins and I have been able to find records for. In fact, many of her first cousins are still in that area! They only moved within miles to different farming communities over the years.

I think maybe central France is not well represented or maybe like you said, they are more Germanic and my actual German ancestry pulls my French away, who knows.

Grandmother's 23andMe results:

boilermeschew827
04-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Thanks. That's strange since other recently updated users like BackToTheForests just have Ireland by itself as well as the other Scottish categories separately in their results. The order of the colours are a bit different than usual too. The 4th highest region with a percentage is usually pink from what I've seen while yours is blue. After the brown colour, it's usually turquoise rather than purple from what I've seen. The format seems quite different for your results in terms of names and colour scheme.

Edit: I just noticed that the cautious results add up to 100.1%. It might be because Europe (East) should be 15.1% rather than 15.2% since the subcategories add up to 15.1%. I thought that Baltic and Finland would be the one colour when under the same cautious category of Europe (East). Could you attach the cautious map with the Mordovia-related and Scandinavia-related ancestry too? I would be interested to see what countries are shown under those categories in the map.

Thanks for pointing that out! Some overlap between Mordovia-related ancestry and Europe (Eastern).

boilermeschew827
04-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Here is the description they added for their Scotland and Ireland category, I should have included it in my last post. I don't know how this differs from the separate Scotland and Ireland categories. The "Scotland and Ireland" region must be more broad? That would make sense in a case like mine I guess, but I don't know what this would be a proxy for.

LTG
04-25-2019, 10:42 PM
I went through [email protected] , if youíd like I could just message you the link to the survey.

Does his survey update apply to those who originally uploaded from the likes of AncestryDNA rather than a physical test? If so, I would appreciate it if you could also send me the link when you have the time.

Angriff
04-26-2019, 07:28 AM
I went through [email protected] , if youíd like I could just message you the link to the survey.

Could you PM me the survey link?

boilermeschew827
04-28-2019, 01:48 PM
I just sent a clarification/feedback request in:

"Thank you for the survey and updated results; I'd like to provide a little feedback and ask for some clarification if possible. My genealogy is the following:

Maternal grandfather - northwest Russian 100%, born outside of St. Petersburg.

Maternal grandmother - 100% French, family lines have been documented to the early 1700s. They have been in central France at least since then - Indre, Centre, France to be exact.

Paternal grandmother - 100% German - family lines have been documented to late 1700s. Lines are located in Lower Saxony, Schwerin, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Paternal grandfather - 50% Polish/German and 50% Scandinavian. His grandfather was Prussian/Polish with some mixed Bavarian and his mother was mixed, Danish and Swedish.

My Europe (Eastern) increased by 14%, now 57%, which I think is too high. It was more accurate before when comparing to my papertrail and other tests. Anything over 45% in my case seems less accurate. This is the highest amount of Eastern European I've received on any test, for what it's worth.

My Scandinavian and Germanic increased and I thought are more accurate now than before.

Here's where I am confused: my French ancestry showed in some form of Great Britain, 2.7% France, 4.4% Iberia and 4.2% Tuscany before the update. Where would this fall under now?

I now show 13.1% Scotland and Ireland, but I have no ancestral tie to the Isles - UK or Ireland. Where would this come from?

3 out of 4 of my grandparents have tested at other companies, so I have a pretty good idea where my results should fall. I know chips and samples vary everywhere, but after seeing these results I thought it needed some more clarification."

We'll see what they say. The more I thought about it, the less sense these results make. If they respond, I'll post an update.

firemonkey
05-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Well mine has been up dated after I filled in the survey.

Europe 100%
Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Aberdeenshire 23.5%
Ireland 14%
Northwest England 9.7%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 8.9%
Southeast England 7.6%
South Yorkshire 7.3%
South England 6.3%
Central England 5.6%
Cornwall 3.5%
North Wales 2.5%
Devon 1.9%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 9%

Irish and Northern Irish makes more sense. However Southeast + South England = 13.9% when I have no known ancestry from there.

boilermeschew827
05-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Here's some more updated information on the "Cautious" groups that I have, I just noticed the information LDNA has provided under the Region option:

Jessie
05-07-2019, 04:16 AM
Here is the description they added for their Scotland and Ireland category, I should have included it in my last post. I don't know how this differs from the separate Scotland and Ireland categories. The "Scotland and Ireland" region must be more broad? That would make sense in a case like mine I guess, but I don't know what this would be a proxy for.

I wonder if that is more related to Ulster? The reason being the mention of the Ulster Plantations. They are a bit different than just the Irish and the Scots due to more mixing so possibly that is the new category of Ireland and Scotland whereas normally they just have Ireland or Scotland as separate regions.

Trelvern
05-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Well mine has been up dated after I filled in the survey.

Europe 100%
Aberdeenshire 23.5%
Ireland 14%
Northwest England 9.7%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 8.9%
Southeast England 7.6%
South Yorkshire 7.3%
South England 6.3%
Central England 5.6%
Cornwall 3.5%
North Wales 2.5%
Devon 1.9%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 9%

Irish and Northern Irish makes more sense. However Southeast + South England = 13.9% when I have no known ancestry from there.

you are talking about this survey?

message from LivingDNA today:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us to find out more about our new panels and any updates to your results.

If you wish to fill out our qualifying survey please click HERE

If after filling out the survey and sending it back to us if you do not qualify then please be assured we will be running updates to your results in the coming months automatically."

firemonkey
05-07-2019, 09:09 AM
you are talking about this survey?

message from LivingDNA today:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us to find out more about our new panels and any updates to your results.

If you wish to fill out our qualifying survey please click HERE

If after filling out the survey and sending it back to us if you do not qualify then please be assured we will be running updates to your results in the coming months automatically.

Yes-it was that survey.
I am wondering how they've got enough samples to be able to assign one's UK ancestry at a regional level. It's supposedly hard to distinguish between one European country and another and yet they go a step further than that.

Trelvern
05-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Yes-it was that survey.
I am wondering how they've got enough samples to be able to assign one's UK ancestry at a regional level. It's supposedly hard to distinguish between one European country and another and yet they go a step further than that.

yes but they proclaim themselves "fabulous science team"
so no problem!

JonikW
05-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Yes-it was that survey.

When they launched it was on the premise that they were using the POBI data. That was their big selling point because the info by region was already there.

boilermeschew827
05-07-2019, 01:07 PM
I wonder if that is more related to Ulster? The reason being the mention of the Ulster Plantations. They are a bit different than just the Irish and the Scots due to more mixing so possibly that is the new category of Ireland and Scotland whereas normally they just have Ireland or Scotland as separate regions.

Has anyone else received this category in their updates? That may be a better gauge as to what the "Scotland and Ireland" category is and I'd be curious to know. I asked LDNA, but am still waiting for a response back.

My results are hard to tell since I don't have any British, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, etc.. ancestry and I'm curious to know where this might be from.

I get some Irish/Scottish/British on every test in varying amounts: MyHeritage 18.5% Irish/Scottish/Welsh (some of this is missing Scandinavian, I think), 23andMe (V5 beta update) 11% B&I, Ancestry (pre-update) 4% Irish/Scottish/Welsh and post-update 12% England Wales and NW Europe - no Irish/Scottish. My G25 best fit includes Scottish and Irish up to 20% mixed. I also often get Shetland or Orcadia on Gedmatch and I got +/- 8% Shetland and 5% Irish on 24Genetics (taken with a grain of salt of course).

Comparing my 23andMe painted chromosomes to MyHeritage's matching segments, many of my known German and Danish relatives match British and Irish painted segments.

I'm also phased with my mom on 23andMe and 90% of my B&I is from my dad - Polish, German, Danish and Swedish. That's a little counter-intuitive since my maternal grandma is French, I thought all of this Irish/Scottish would come from her before north Germany or Denmark. My dad passed away when I was young, otherwise I'd have him test. His mother, my grandma, did test - she is of full German ancestry and has 41% F&G, 14% Scandinavian and 9% B&I.

Between all of these varying amounts, I am starting to suspect the same misreads of north German/Danish are being applied everywhere or these tests go further back than they think, or they just aren't that accurate. I do not think there is an NPE in my tree since I'm seeing DNA matches on several branches from my paternal grandparents matching B&I segments - my point there is I would need multiple NPEs with an Irish or Scottish person, so this seems highly unlikely.

This has been confusing me since I started this process 2 years ago. Every time I think I have put the issue to rest, I get an update like this that confuses the heck out of me.

Jessie
05-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Has anyone else received this category in their updates? That may be a better gauge as to what the "Scotland and Ireland" category is and I'd be curious to know. I asked LDNA, but am still waiting for a response back.

My results are hard to tell since I don't have any British, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, etc.. ancestry and I'm curious to know where this might be from.

I get some Irish/Scottish/British on every test in varying amounts: MyHeritage 18.5% Irish/Scottish/Welsh (some of this is missing Scandinavian, I think), 23andMe (V5 beta update) 11% B&I, Ancestry (pre-update) 4% Irish/Scottish/Welsh and post-update 12% England Wales and NW Europe - no Irish/Scottish. My G25 best fit includes Scottish and Irish up to 20% mixed. I also often get Shetland or Orcadia on Gedmatch and I got +/- 8% Shetland and 5% Irish on 24Genetics (taken with a grain of salt of course).

Comparing my 23andMe painted chromosomes to MyHeritage's matching segments, many of my known German and Danish relatives match British and Irish painted segments.

I'm also phased with my mom on 23andMe and 90% of my B&I is from my dad - Polish, German, Danish and Swedish. That's a little counter-intuitive since my maternal grandma is French, I thought all of this Irish/Scottish would come from her before north Germany or Denmark. My dad passed away when I was young, otherwise I'd have him test. His mother, my grandma, did test - she is of full German ancestry and has 41% F&G, 14% Scandinavian and 9% B&I.

Between all of these varying amounts, I am starting to suspect the same misreads of north German/Danish are being applied everywhere or these tests go further back than they think, or they just aren't that accurate. I do not think there is an NPE in my tree since I'm seeing DNA matches on several branches from my paternal grandparents matching B&I segments - my point there is I would need multiple NPEs with an Irish or Scottish person, so this seems highly unlikely.

This has been confusing me since I started this process 2 years ago. Every time I think I have put the issue to rest, I get an update like this that confuses the heck out of me.

LivingDNA are very British centric as are all these tests. I doubt they'll ever be able to accurately get every admixture correct especially in similar populations. My daughter only got 11% Ireland on her LivingDNA test so I'm interested in what her update will look like once they get around to doing it. It will be interesting to see how successful they are at picking apart populations then.

firemonkey
05-07-2019, 02:23 PM
I've still got Ireland and Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland .

FionnSneachta
05-07-2019, 06:49 PM
I've still got Ireland and Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland .

Yes, considering there is already a category called 'Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland', it's strange that there would be another category called 'Ireland and Scotland' relating to Ulster. Likewise I still have the former category in my results. If they have a category just called 'Ireland and Scotland', it doesn't sound too promising that they're confident in separating Irish and Scottish regions. It makes me wonder if they'll end up going the same route as Ancestry.

Nqp15hhu
05-07-2019, 06:55 PM

oh lord not another confusing category for us Northern Irish! :( When will these companies understand that there is a great difference between Ireland and Scotland?

JonikW
05-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Yes, considering there is already a category called 'Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland', it's strange that there would be another category called 'Ireland and Scotland' relating to Ulster. Likewise I still have the former category in my results. If they have a category just called 'Ireland and Scotland', it doesn't sound too promising that they're confident in separating Irish and Scottish regions. It makes me wonder if they'll end up going the same route as Ancestry.

Perhaps this could be a category that they'll assign to Europeans who show a similar signal but that is actually a false match. In the same way 23andme is apparently still "working" to assign the "French and German" and "Scandinavian" that they've given me in addition to British and Irish. They'll have to keep working because they're really seeing British ancestry that is similar to those populations.

Kathlingram
05-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Where do they actually get their samples? I have 19% North Wales from them BUT I definitely have a decent amount of Irish 2-5th cousins living in the UK and not all in Ireland.. I just stumbled upon 6 new 4th cousins who were born in London ( Hammersmith) and lived in Devon ( I have some small amount of Devon) My Norman/Irish Faunt family went to Ireland before 1300 and were employed for the Norman kings as Justiciars and other military based employment. My Faunt 2nd great GF was in the British Army and so was his brother.. MY William Faunt came to US in 1869.. His female siblings also married soldiers and ended up in the Liverpool area ( where many do). Actually for the 3-4 generations I have tracked working for or being in the British Army was something they did ( Blacksmiths mostly).

Just wondering.. are these Irish and Welsh samples ancient? Recent?

FionnSneachta
05-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Where do they actually get their samples? I have 19% North Wales from them BUT I definitely have a decent amount of Irish 2-5th cousins living in the UK and not all in Ireland.. I just stumbled upon 6 new 4th cousins who were born in London ( Hammersmith) and lived in Devon ( I have some small amount of Devon) My Norman/Irish Faunt family went to Ireland before 1300 and were employed for the Norman kings as Justiciars and other military based employment. My Faunt 2nd great GF was in the British Army and so was his brother.. MY William Faunt came to US in 1869.. His female siblings also married soldiers and ended up in the Liverpool area ( where many do). Actually for the 3-4 generations I have tracked working for or being in the British Army was something they did ( Blacksmiths mostly).

They're using modern samples. They have an Irish project to develop their reference panel for Ireland by getting Irish people to test whose grandparents lived within 50 miles of each other.

05-14-2019, 12:56 PM

From my understanding, LivingDNA and all Testing companies only Test recent populations who have 4 Grandparents from a given area radius, and thats how they are able to match. Ancient DNA is not a factor and also might have no relationship to modern populations in some cases.

Kathlingram
05-14-2019, 01:05 PM
They're using modern samples. They have an Irish project to develop their reference panel for Ireland by getting Irish people to test whose grandparents lived within 50 miles of each other.

So that can actually skew my results somewhat.. I thought so.. 19% is a lot of Welsh.. Yes I do have a lot of Welsh cousins but they are pretty far back in time and came to US by 1700.. but that part of Wales ( Caernarvonshire) was closely related and the same went on in the Delaware Welsh Tracts they settled in.. Delaware prior to 1700 had mostly cousin marriages.. Also my father's father ( it is his line) is unknown but was thought to be a young uncle who lived with Grandmom's family..

I recently at AncestryDNA ( has the most Welsh matches) hit upon a Welsh couple who was sister and Brother in law of my Owen David who came to US by 1710.. Angharad James and her husband William Pritchard are in the trees of at least 75 people still living in Wales.

Sid Griffith
05-14-2019, 05:34 PM
LivingDNA has me as South Wales and Wales border related. My paper trail takes me to North Wales. (Anglesey and Caernarvonshire.) That's the only weird thing I've noticed. It has me with no North Wales. I have Irish. I've speculated from other post I've seen that maybe they have confused North Wales with Irish. I'm Irish on my mother's side, so it's hard to tell.

05-14-2019, 06:34 PM
LivingDNA has me as South Wales and Wales border related. My paper trail takes me to North Wales. (Anglesey and Caernarvonshire.) That's the only weird thing I've noticed. It has me with no North Wales. I have Irish. I've speculated from other post I've seen that maybe they have confused North Wales with Irish. I'm Irish on my mother's side, so it's hard to tell.

Hi Sid, depending on when your test kit was analysed and against which Irish dataset, it’s likely not just North Wales, but many other regions of England, and Scotland might be pulling % away from your Irish results.
If your kit was analysed against the new Irish datasets and analysed then, people mostly say they are quite accurate.

Sid Griffith
05-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Hi Sid, depending on when your test kit was analysed and against which Irish dataset, it’s likely not just North Wales, but many other regions of England, and Scotland might be pulling % away from your Irish results.
If your kit was analysed against the new Irish datasets and analysed then, people mostly say they are quite accurate.

Thanks. Yeah, the mystery to me is why no North Wales showing up when that is where my family originated. Hopefully as time passes and results become more advanced it will appear. I am 100% British Colonial American. My results hit almost every area of the British Isles.

boilermeschew827
05-22-2019, 12:24 PM
I just sent a clarification/feedback request in:

"Thank you for the survey and updated results; I'd like to provide a little feedback and ask for some clarification if possible. My genealogy is the following:

Maternal grandfather - northwest Russian 100%, born outside of St. Petersburg.

Maternal grandmother - 100% French, family lines have been documented to the early 1700s. They have been in central France at least since then - Indre, Centre, France to be exact.

Paternal grandmother - 100% German - family lines have been documented to late 1700s. Lines are located in Lower Saxony, Schwerin, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Paternal grandfather - 50% Polish/German and 50% Scandinavian. His grandfather was Prussian/Polish with some mixed Bavarian and his mother was mixed, Danish and Swedish.

My Europe (Eastern) increased by 14%, now 57%, which I think is too high. It was more accurate before when comparing to my papertrail and other tests. Anything over 45% in my case seems less accurate. This is the highest amount of Eastern European I've received on any test, for what it's worth.

My Scandinavian and Germanic increased and I thought are more accurate now than before.

Here's where I am confused: my French ancestry showed in some form of Great Britain, 2.7% France, 4.4% Iberia and 4.2% Tuscany before the update. Where would this fall under now?

I now show 13.1% Scotland and Ireland, but I have no ancestral tie to the Isles - UK or Ireland. Where would this come from?

3 out of 4 of my grandparents have tested at other companies, so I have a pretty good idea where my results should fall. I know chips and samples vary everywhere, but after seeing these results I thought it needed some more clarification."

We'll see what they say. The more I thought about it, the less sense these results make. If they respond, I'll post an update.

I just got an email back from LDNA thanking me for my feedback and that a member of the science team has been requested to look at my results.

We'll see - after all of these updates, I am starting to form the opinion that these tests may never be terribly accurate, at least for myself. My French and German are equal, so one ends up skewing the other which appears to be towards more German.

Hopefully they can shed some light on the mysterious Scotland and Ireland I picked up and the heavy EE I allegedly have.

boilermeschew827
05-22-2019, 03:17 PM
This is the response I got from LDNA, I'll post my thoughts in a bit:

"Thank you for your feedback. We are constantly looking to improve our panels.

We are still working to improve our French calling- currently, this is difficult due to DNA testing in France being illegal- this means we have fewer samples in our database to compare your DNA against.

Our Science team believe it is likely that some of your northern Germany ancestry could be showing as German.
It is also possible your French ancestry is being reflected in the German percentage.
Your Great Britain percentages are now fairly low which reduces our confidence in being able to accurately assign it to a region.
Over time as we get more French samples you will see your results become more refind.

Your results have likely picked up on the genetic markers that are shared with Britain, France and the South of Europe, all of which have very similar shared pasts. It is most likely that the test has picked up on genetic signatures from many generations ago that were influenced by historical migration events. From the post Ice Age recolonisation onward, continuous movements of people at key points in time have created similar genetic signatures for these countries. For example, Britain, France, Spain, and Portugal have all experienced settlements by Neolithic farmers, Celts, Romans, and Vikings. Along with these significant events, there have been ongoing connections through trade, marriage and small migrations that have resulted in genetic admixture throughout history.

Although your results can be explained, Living DNA are working on creating more specificity for French results in the coming months. Our method relies on having a variety of reference samples from across the world to represent people's ancestry. For the regions where we don't have any reference data from, the method tries to represent people using population groups that have similar genetic patterns. We currently have very sparse French dataset due to the genetic testing limitation in France. Therefore, your ancestry estimate represents a combination of populations where similar genetic patterns are observed. Our method and your ancestry estimate will improve as more reference data become available. Please, opt-in the Living DNA Research to be one of the first people to receive updates."

boilermeschew827
05-22-2019, 03:43 PM
My thoughts about the "French" label are pretty much confirmed, for basically every test - it is too under-sampled to be accurate. I'm not sure how AncestryDNA was able to come up with the grouping, but I don't think their reference panel is anywhere near complete.

While my Scandinavian and Germanic was much more accurate, they are saying some of my French is being placed in Germanic and they say that this label is mostly north German - which makes sense. The comment I have about that is that some of my German is being read as Northeast Europe.

My mysterious "Scotland and Ireland" is still mysterious. I don't know what this includes. I've asked for some clarification here, but if I dissect the message, it's basically the "gristle" of my ancestry - probably a mix of my French, Scandinavian and German ancestry that they cannot place accurately.

After seeing this update and the Ancestry update, I would caution anyone with continental Europe ancestry. The results are still a work in progress, the major swings in percentages I have seen in my own results scream too much uncertainty still. Unless you have 100% ancestry from one location, these tests are still in their infancy.

boilermeschew827
05-23-2019, 03:03 PM
Here is the question and response to the "Scotland and Ireland" label:

My question:
"Thank you for the response and explanation! I figured French was too under-sampled. The one last question I have is regarding the Scotland and Ireland category that I received at 13%.

Is this basically the remaining portions of my ancestry that cannot be placed for the reasons stated in the response (i.e. migrations, population shifts etc...)?"

LDNA response:

"Thank you for your reply.

Yes, your remaining portions are those which cannot be placed as accurately."

Well that is a bit disheartening. Instead of creating some category to put mixed ancestry, it's lumped into a deceiving "Scotland and Ireland" category. For about a week, I thought I had some portion of my papertrail incorrect.

BackToTheForests
05-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Here is the question and response to the "Scotland and Ireland" label:

My question:
"Thank you for the response and explanation! I figured French was too under-sampled. The one last question I have is regarding the Scotland and Ireland category that I received at 13%.

Is this basically the remaining portions of my ancestry that cannot be placed for the reasons stated in the response (i.e. migrations, population shifts etc...)?"

LDNA response:

"Thank you for your reply.

Yes, your remaining portions are those which cannot be placed as accurately."

Well that is a bit disheartening. Instead of creating some category to put mixed ancestry, it's lumped into a deceiving "Scotland and Ireland" category. For about a week, I thought I had some portion of my papertrail incorrect.

Wow, especially confusing if you already have some Irish/British ancestry. It now makes sense why my mother scores 100% in the Great Britain and Ireland category, they basically smoothed her Colonial American Dutch/German into GB&I.

kujira692
05-24-2019, 04:02 PM
I don't know if this was discussed, but my "Cautious-Mode" regions have been re-named. I'm not sure if the percentages for each have been adjusted (I don't think so, or at least not drastically). The "Complete-Mode" labels are as they always have been, but now I have in Cautious:

"South England-Related Ancestry" instead of "Devon-Related Ancestry"
"Northeast England-Related Ancestry" instead of "North Yorkshire-Related Ancestry"
"Northern Scotland-Related Ancestry" instead of "Orkney-Related Ancestry"
"Mediterranean Sea-Related Ancestry" instead of "Tuscany-Related Ancestry" (I think that's what it used to be)

JonikW
05-24-2019, 08:41 PM
I don't know if this was discussed, but my "Cautious-Mode" regions have been re-named. I'm not sure if the percentages for each have been adjusted (I don't think so, or at least not drastically). The "Complete-Mode" labels are as they always have been, but now I have in Cautious:

"South England-Related Ancestry" instead of "Devon-Related Ancestry"
"Northeast England-Related Ancestry" instead of "North Yorkshire-Related Ancestry"
"Northern Scotland-Related Ancestry" instead of "Orkney-Related Ancestry"
"Mediterranean Sea-Related Ancestry" instead of "Tuscany-Related Ancestry" (I think that's what it used to be)

Thanks for that. I see I now have Wales-related ancestry 86.8 percent; Cornwall 8 percent; Cumbria-related ancestry 5.2 percent. That compares with what's in my signature. My main ancestral group in reality is Welsh Borders, but on the Welsh side of the line in Breconshire and Monmouthshire, so they're still spot on and by far the best of the commercial tests for me. I hope they don't mess it up with the update...

Edit: this must be related to their new Irish data. Here are my old map for Welsh Borders at cautious level and the new replacement one now called Wales related. They've obviously succeeded in eliminating the false but similar Irish signal and so narrowing things down in Britain. I'd say that's progress.

kujira692
05-24-2019, 10:45 PM
I think their maps when you click on the regions in the Cautious Mode panel are much more sensible than before as well. I remember being really puzzled why Kent was highlighted in reference to "Ireland-Related Ancestry", but now that is no longer the case. There were others too that seemed to just be a mish-mash of counties that had no rhyme or reason, but looking at it now I think, yeah, this could make sense broadly speaking.

JonikW
05-24-2019, 10:50 PM
I think their maps when you click on the regions in the Cautious Mode panel are much more sensible than before as well. I remember being really puzzled why Kent was highlighted in reference to "Ireland-Related Ancestry", but now that is no longer the case. There were others too that seemed to just be a mish-mash of counties that had no rhyme or reason, but looking at it now I think, yeah, this could make sense broadly speaking.

You're right. Funnily enough I just edited my earlier post after seeing the new map.

Edit: Cornwall hasn't changed but my other cautious map, Cumbria, has. North Yorkshire has gone and Northumbria and more of Scotland have come in. That fits nicely with my known Armstrong and other Scottish lines.

FionnSneachta
05-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Thanks. None of the labels have changed for my family's cautious groupings. My mum's is still oddly recorded as Southwest Scotland-related ancestry even though she gets 100% Ireland. My dad's Northumbria-related ancestry is no longer shown to include north Scotland or Devon but now includes south Scotland, Cumbria and Northern Ireland (Northumbria is in both versions). My own Ireland-related ancestry map now includes Lancashire and Cheshire instead of Kent. I've included images with the previous cautious group on top and the new on the bottom.

Nqp15hhu
05-24-2019, 11:53 PM
Pity I couldn't get these results! It'd be nice to see my British Isles regional results.

Phoebe Watts
05-25-2019, 07:31 AM
My first visit to anthrogenica.com was to look for an explanation for my odd results on LDNA in the cautious mode map. The South Wales ancestry showing in standard mode had gone and was showing as South Wales Borders. LDNAís suggestion was ďIt may therefore be possible that your DNA has been influenced by Germanic Anglo-Saxons.Ē I think we all decided that the cautious mode algorithm was a bit wonky...

This update corrects that.

Pylsteen
05-25-2019, 07:43 AM
I get now 52% "East of England related" i.o. "East-Anglia related".

Jessie
05-25-2019, 09:22 AM
For anyone wondering what fully Irish people get with cautious for sub-regional areas these are myself and 2 family members tested.

Myself

http://i65.tinypic.com/30wro7s.jpg

Brother

http://i64.tinypic.com/10fc2ef.jpg

Daughter

http://i66.tinypic.com/2rr73go.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/xpn142.jpg

Trelvern
05-25-2019, 10:07 AM
29.4 Ireland for me ( previously 1.1)
France vanished
Here come Iberians ( 13.4)

45.2 SouthWest England related ancestry (SWEngland plus Ireland) in cautious mode and Wales very low.

and 84.3 british and irish! (previously less than 70)

JonikW
05-25-2019, 10:15 AM
29.4 Ireland for me ( previously 1.1)
France vanished
Here comes Iberians ( 13.4)

and 84.3 british and irish! (previously less than 70)

Can you post a screenshot? I see that adds up to more than 100 percent so an image would be very helpful. I suppose it could be a positive for Breton ancestry that when forced to pick between France and Ireland now, the algorithm chooses the latter.

Trelvern
05-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Can you post a screenshot? I see that adds up to more than 100 percent so an image would be very helpful. I suppose it could be a positive for Breton ancestry that when forced to pick between France and Ireland now, the algorithm chooses the latter.30594

map1:cautious mode
2:complete

Complete

Europe 100%

Great Britain and Ireland 84.3%

Ireland 29.4%
South Central England 11.9%
Cornwall 11.5%
North Yorkshire 7.4%
Southeast England 7.2%
Devon 4.3%
Aberdeenshire 3.7%
Cumbria 3.3%
North Wales 3.2%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 1.2%
Orkney and Shetland Islands 1.2%

Europe (South) 15.7%

Iberian Peninsula 13.4%
Aegean 2.2%

(not bold: unassigned in standard and cautious mode)

cautious

Europe 100%

Southwest England-related ancestry 45.2% (Ireland+Cornwall+Devon)
South Central England-related ancestry 11.9%
Northern Scotland-related ancestry 4.9%
Wales-related ancestry 3.2%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 19.2%

East Balkans-related ancestry 15.7% (Spain+Portugal+Balkans)

Anyway far more"celtic" than previously ; Iberian peninsular replace France

homunculus
05-25-2019, 12:04 PM
A stupid question from a relatively stupid person - is the update to a users ancestry automatic and eventual or does one need to request it specifically by emailing LivingDNA's customer service?

BackToTheForests
05-25-2019, 12:07 PM
For anyone wondering what fully Irish people get with cautious for sub-regional areas these are myself and 2 family members tested.

Myself

Brother

Daughter

Thanks. None of the labels have changed for my family's cautious groupings. My mum's is still oddly recorded as Southwest Scotland-related ancestry even though she gets 100% Ireland. My dad's Northumbria-related ancestry is no longer shown to include north Scotland or Devon but now includes south Scotland, Cumbria and Northern Ireland (Northumbria is in both versions). My own Ireland-related ancestry map now includes Lancashire and Cheshire instead of Kent. I've included images with the previous cautious group on top and the new on the bottom.

I'm a bit confused, the Irish category looks really solid apart from Trelverns result (which may be easily explainable by someone smarter than me). It seems, from your results as full Irish as well as the results of people of mixed ancestry (my father and myself included) that they've got a great handle on separating Irish ancestry from the rest of it. My confusion stems from my mothers' estimate, seeing how well LDNA is doing on that level I can't help but question her ancestry. Here is her result on Cautious setting (her Irish score increased about 2% from Complete to Cautious):

Could this be a result of a bad upload (in my opinion this is super unlikely but I don't know much about the technical side of things) or do I have a great mystery to untangle? Would love to hear any opinions as I don't want to jump the gun.

JonikW
05-25-2019, 12:26 PM
A stupid question from a relatively stupid person - is the update to a users ancestry automatic and eventual or does one need to request it specifically by emailing LivingDNA's customer service?

I haven't requested anything so this is automatic.

As for Trelvern's Irish (BackToTheForest's question), the switch from French suggests that their Irish update is improving their ability to distinguish "Celtic" ancestry. A full Breton dataset and another wait of several years would be needed for the algorithm to then pick Breton rather than Irish in his case.

05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

map1:cautious mode
2:complete

Complete

Europe 100%

Ireland 29.4%
South Central England 11.9%
Cornwall 11.5%
North Yorkshire 7.4%
Southeast England 7.2%
Devon 4.3%
Aberdeenshire 3.7%
Cumbria 3.3%
North Wales 3.2%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 1.2%
Orkney and Shetland Islands 1.2%

Europe (South) 15.7%

Iberian Peninsula 13.4%
Aegean 2.2%

(not bold: unassigned in standard and cautious mode)

cautious

Europe 100%

Southwest England-related ancestry 45.2% (Ireland+Cornwall+Devon)
South Central England-related ancestry 11.9%
Northern Scotland-related ancestry 4.9%
Wales-related ancestry 3.2%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 19.2%

East Balkans-related ancestry 15.7% (Spain+Portugal+Balkans)

Anyway far more"celtic" than previously ; Iberian peninsular replace France

Hi Trelvern, Question, do you think the Iberian in your results is really in fact French? Or more Southern French?
Or do you have real Iberian ancestry?

Trelvern
05-25-2019, 01:06 PM
I haven't requested anything so this is automatic.

As for Trelvern's Irish (BackToTheForest's question), the switch from French suggests that their Irish update is improving their ability to distinguish "Celtic" ancestry. A full Breton dataset and another wait of several years would be needed for the algorithm to then pick Breton rather than Irish in his case.

i agree but i got 15.7 France previously and 0% Iberian peninsular and now it's the contrary!
That's why i said Iberian peninsular replace France.
i got 1% Ireland only and now 29 :a strong growth. This is done at the expense of the East of England rather. A more celtic signature .And it's logical :the bretons are close to SW England and Ireland .
And Wales?

(I am currently testing YDna for BY650 (Pembrokeshire) and beyond, it's Ireland or France according SNP tracker tool)
No result yet

Wait and see.

JonikW
05-25-2019, 01:12 PM
i agree but i got 15.7 France previously and 0% Iberian peninsular and now it's the contrary!
That's why i said Iberian peninsular replace France.
i got 1% Ireland only and now 29 :a strong growth. This is done at the expense of the East of England rather. A more celtic signature .And it's logical :the bretons are close to SW England and Ireland .
And Wales?

All the groups in your cautious do add up to a good proxy for a Breton, apart from the Iberian. I wonder whether that's related to the early Medieval settlement of Galicia by Britons/Bretons.

05-25-2019, 01:22 PM
Living DNA give me a different result, I am unsure this was because of my survey response or just an automatic update.

Quite big difference actually.

Irish has significantly gone up to approx 10% this might be about correct with my known ancestry from county Cork, although I suspect some might still be missing as my y gene is related to the Irish Eustace family.

Welsh ancestry overall gone up, so yes I’ll take that, as it’s almost my whole tree.

Yorkshire almost down to nothing from over 10% I couldn’t find any in my tree anyway.
Still got Northumbria ? And tiny Yorkshire.

Small amount of Cornish, could be correct as on tree, if I got the correct person added to it, then yes about right.

Scandinavia all gone, no surprise, Orkney gone, no surprise.

Iberian added approx 4% interesting because I do not know of any in my tree, but this brings me back again to my Gran’s story about a British soldier after Napoleonic wars, coming back to Wales with a French woman.

Maybe with the absence of, or lack of a great qty of French samples Iberia is a surrogate for French? Or southern French at least.

Old
New
Cautious
P.S. no Scottish, strange as my mums maiden name was Grant.

Trelvern
05-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Hi Trelvern, Question, do you think the Iberian in your results is really in fact French? Or more Southern French?
Or do you have real Iberian ancestry?

No known ancestry out of Brittany!30599this tiny area .
Breton are more "Neolithic" than the British. That is why Iberian often appears in the admixture (3/4 brit 1/4 Iberian is the recipe for a typical Breton)

05-25-2019, 01:47 PM

So the Iberian might well be related to French or French like ancestry? I am asking as I also get 4%

Trelvern
05-25-2019, 01:58 PM
All the groups in your cautious do add up to a good proxy for a Breton, apart from the Iberian. I wonder whether that's related to the early Medieval settlement of Galicia by Britons/Bretons.

i don't think so
Bretons and Iberians share early farmers origins .

05-25-2019, 02:02 PM

Wasnít Galicia, more of the ancient name? Pre Romans? I thought that medieval name for the British/Breton colony was called, Britonia?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britonia

Trelvern
05-25-2019, 02:04 PM
So the Iberian might well be related to French or French like ancestry? I am asking as I also get 4%

yes can be

JonikW
05-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Living DNA give me a different result, I am unsure this was because of my survey response or just an automatic update.

Quite big difference actually.

Irish has significantly gone up to approx 10% this might be about correct with my known ancestry from county Cork, although I suspect some might still be missing as my y gene is related to the Irish Eustace family.

Welsh ancestry overall gone up, so yes Iíll take that, as itís almost my whole tree.

Yorkshire almost down to nothing from over 10% I couldnít find any in my tree anyway.
Still got Northumbria ? And tiny Yorkshire.

Small amount of Cornish, could be correct as on tree, if I got the correct person added to it, then yes about right.

Scandinavia all gone, no surprise, Orkney gone, no surprise.

Iberian added approx 4% interesting because I do not know of any in my tree, but this brings me back again to my Granís story about a British soldier after Napoleonic wars, coming back to Wales with a French woman.

Maybe with the absence of, or lack of a great qty of French samples Iberia is a surrogate for French? Or southern French at least.

Old
New

P.S. no Scottish, strange as my mums maiden name was Grant.

Mine haven't changed on complete mode yet. The only thing that's changed for me is the maps and naming in cautious mode (a big improvement). Can you post your cautious results?

05-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Mine haven't changed on complete mode yet. The only thing that's changed for me is the maps and naming in cautious mode (a big improvement). Can you post your cautious results?

Sure, if you go back to my post, you will see I updated it to include cautious mode.

JonikW
05-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Sure, if you go back to my post, you will see I updated it to include cautious mode.

I'm broadly encouraged by what I'm seeing from Welsh users and am really looking forward to my update now. Hopefully won't be a long wait.

Aroon1916
05-25-2019, 03:08 PM
I tested on Sirius and received my results in January. No change except for the slight re-jigging and re-labeling of regions in the Cautious mode.

Complete/Standard
Europe 100%
Ireland 35.4%
East Anglia 15.1%
South England 10.1%
Northwest Scotland 7.9%
Lincolnshire 6.4%
Cornwall 5.6%
North Yorkshire 3.9%
Central England 2.9%
Northumbria 2.8%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 2.4%
North Wales 1.6%
Aberdeenshire 1.5%
Southeast England 1.1%
South Wales Border 1.1%
South Yorkshire 1.1%
South Central England 1%

Cautious:
Europe 100%
South Central England-related ancestry 47.6%
East of England-related ancestry 25.6%
Northwest Scotland 7.9%
Northeast England-related ancestry 7.8%
Southwest England-related ancestry 5.6%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 2.4%
Wales-related ancestry 1.6%
Northern Scotland-related ancestry 1.5%

Nqp15hhu
05-26-2019, 03:31 AM

Myself

Brother

Daughter

Wow, that's terrible! Once again a company struggles to differentiate the British Isles regions! Obviously this is very wrong for you, as your ancestry is all Irish?

Nibelung
05-26-2019, 04:02 AM
Obviously they're still focused on making the Irish look all part everyone else. British Antiquarianism demands sole authority post the two world wars. Before then the Irish were a little more popular. Now things are changing again but Oxford would appear to remain a holdout, and I assume some of the current LivingDNA architecture reflects that. Spencer Wells?

timberwolf
05-26-2019, 04:41 AM
Breton are more "Neolithic" than the British. That is why Iberian often appears in the admixture (3/4 brit 1/4 Iberian is the recipe for a typical Breton)

Yes I often get Iberian in my results, I am sure it is more an reflection of Cornish ancestry and is not necessarily recent.

For my original test I am assigned 6.2 % Iberian or Southern European in the cautious mode and 9.4% in my FMP upload.

I did ask them what Iberian samples they had and they said they were Northern Spanish near the French border.

boilermeschew827
05-26-2019, 04:25 PM
FWIW, I noticed LDNA updated their Cautious Mordovia-related ancestry grouping to Western Russia-related ancestry. I am not sure what is different between this and Europe (East).

Looking at the maps, Europe (East) includes the Baltics and Finland/Western Russia, but excludes Poland. Western Russia-related ancestry includes Poland, Finland/Western Russia and parts of Germany, but excludes the Baltics?

I'd say a total of 70% Finland/Western Russia related ancestry in my case is a little overkill...:)

BackToTheForests
05-26-2019, 04:44 PM
FWIW, I noticed LDNA updated their Cautious Mordovia-related ancestry grouping to Western Russia-related ancestry. I am not sure what is different between this and Europe (East).

Looking at the maps, Europe (East) includes the Baltics and Finland/Western Russia, but excludes Poland. Western Russia-related ancestry includes Poland, Finland/Western Russia and parts of Germany, but excludes the Baltics?

I'd say a total of 70% Finland/Western Russia related ancestry in my case is a little overkill...:)

Interesting, my fathers map seems a bit different. He also has Europe East (broken down to North East and Baltic) but when I look at his map in Cautious Mode it turns to Baltics-related ancestry and would certainly include Poland:

Was your test a paid test or an upload? I'm curious as to why our maps appear a bit different, maybe if they update his results the maps will change too.

FionnSneachta
05-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Would you mind posting an image of your cautious sub regions map without clicking on an individual region so that Western Russia, Scandinavia and Europe East can be seen on the same map together?

boilermeschew827
05-26-2019, 05:32 PM
Interesting, my fathers map seems a bit different. He also has Europe East (broken down to North East and Baltic) but when I look at his map in Cautious Mode it turns to Baltics-related ancestry and would certainly include Poland:

Was your test a paid test or an upload? I'm curious as to why our maps appear a bit different, maybe if they update his results the maps will change too.

No, it was a paid swab test! Although, now I am somewhat regretting it lol. The second update, ironically, was the most accurate. At least I had proxies for Scandinavia, France and Germany.

My initial results came in October 2018 on the old chip:

The chip updated about 3 weeks later, maybe November 2018?:

April 2019:

boilermeschew827
05-26-2019, 05:42 PM
delete

FionnSneachta
05-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Delete

boilermeschew827
05-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Thanks. The attachment doesn't seem to work though.

Hmm, try this one and I'll delete the initial post.

FionnSneachta
05-26-2019, 05:56 PM
Hmm, try this one and I'll delete the initial post.

That works fine. Thank you!

Robert1
05-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Over all I like the cautious mode updates. Here are three Living DNA results that have been updated since February.

This is my Mother's Cautious Mode/Subregions map

This is mine

This is my paternal aunt's

My aunt’s 16.2% Western Russia-related ancestry in Cautious Mode should be labeled Scandinavia-related ancestry as it is in Complete and Standard Modes. 16.2% of her ancestry certainly is not from Finland and Western Russia. Hopefully LDNA will correct that.

Actually it's not all Scandinavian as well. I have 13.1% Northeast England-related ancestry while she incorrectly was assigned 0%. Her 16.2% Western Russia-related ancestry (Scandinavian) is a nice fit in Northeast England since we do have known ancestry from there. Obviously Complete, Standard and Cautious Modes all got that wrong for her but it's easy to figure out where it should go.

Trelvern
05-29-2019, 06:18 AM
A comparaison between My Heritage and Living DNA

MyHeritage / LivingDNA (standard mode)

Scandinavian 29.9/English 27.7
Breton,Irish,Scottish and Welsh 29.4 / Irish,Scottish and Welsh 37.5
(they add Breton recently)
Iberian 26.7/ Iberian 13.4
Italian 7.1 / Aegean 2.2

Balt 4 /0

there is now a convergence whereas at the beginning it was not the case.
(if we admit that the false Scandinavians are English)

Jessie
05-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Italian 7.1 / Aegean 2.2

Balt 4 /0

They still have mine as just Irish, Scottish and Welsh at 97.2%.

BackToTheForests
05-29-2019, 11:42 AM

Italian 7.1 / Aegean 2.2

Balt 4 /0

I believe you're correct about Scandinavian result being a proxy for English in some cases, I'm not well versed in this but based off of my fathers result (he is 25% each Lithuanian, English, Irish, and German):

MH
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 29.4%
Scandinavian: 24.5%
North and West European: 19.5%
Finnish: 1.1%
Baltic: 25.5%

LDNA
Great Britain and Ireland: 49.1% (Ireland 26.5%)
Europe East: 40.7% (Northeast Europe: 29.6%/Baltic: 11%)
Europe North and West: 10.2% (Scandinavia 10.2%)

Edit: in your case it still doesn’t make much sense to me though.

Hah, I actually can't complain much about my fathers MyHeritage test.

While I always caution myself against taking these results too seriously I have noticed trends. On MyHeritage my family's fully Irish cousins have been scoring in the high 90's and many at 100% Irish, Scottish, and Welsh. My mother has much more non-Irish in her than I had ever thought (when I was a child she would always say "just Irish" when asked, I guess she wasn't aware of her Colonial line, maybe no one was aware until I found it in my research, I've embarrassed myself quite a few times, and sometimes I still do, before confirming the line thinking she would plot and score the same as fully Irish people...*cringe*). MyHeritage seems on the same page with LDNA concerning her Irish percentages:

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 78.8%
Scandinavian: 12.0%
English: 1.6% (jeez, neither my father or I scored any English and we have direct English ancestry in the 1900's)
Baltic: 4.4% (more than a little strange)
Central Asia: 3.2% (?????)

It's difficult for me to take MyHeritage too seriously with wacky outcomes like this but, again, I'm noticing trends in the Irish/Gael ancestry distribution.

boilermeschew827
05-29-2019, 02:19 PM
I believe you're correct about Scandinavian result being a proxy for English in some cases, I'm not well versed in this but based off of my fathers result (he is 25% each Lithuanian, English, Irish, and German):

MH

LDNA

While I always caution myself against taking these results too seriously I have noticed trends. On MyHeritage my family's fully Irish cousins have been scoring in the high 90's and many at 100% Irish, Scottish, and Welsh. My mother has much more non-Irish in her than I had ever thought (when I was a child she would always say "just Irish" when asked, I guess she wasn't aware of her Colonial line, maybe no one was aware until I found it in my research, I've embarrassed myself quite a few times, and sometimes I still do, before confirming the line thinking she would plot and score the same as fully Irish people...*cringe*). MyHeritage seems on the same page with LDNA concerning her Irish percentages:

English: 1.6% (jeez, neither my father or I scored any English and we have direct English ancestry in the 1900's)

It's difficult for me to take MyHeritage too seriously with wacky outcomes like this but, again, I'm noticing trends in the Irish/Gael ancestry distribution.

I would add Irish, Scottish and Welsh to that assessment for Scandinavian proxies via MyHeritage. I show 14.8% and 18.5% Irish, Scottish, Welsh for my Ancestry and 23andMe kits, but show no Scandinavian. Between Ancestry, LDNA, and 23andMe I have between 6-10% real Scandinavian.

FTDNA gives me 24% Scandinavian, but my results there are eerily similar to LDNA's update now that I mention it. I wonder if my north German is inflating that a little.

Nqp15hhu
05-29-2019, 10:00 PM

MH

LDNA

I'm 95% Ireland and Scotland on MyHeritage and AncestryDNA. So there must be something to that?

Robert1
05-29-2019, 10:22 PM
I'm 95% Ireland and Scotland on MyHeritage and AncestryDNA. So there must be something to that?

I think you're right. I'm 59.9% Ireland and Scotland on MyHeritage with 40.1% Scandinavian. At AncestryDNA I'm 58% Ireland and Scotland with 42% English, Welsh and NW European.

Like my aunt's so called Scandinavian or Western Russia at Living DNA (posted above) I'm confident the Scandinavian is English. MyHeritage for me would then be accurate, also Living DNA for my aunt would be accurate.

Nqp15hhu
05-29-2019, 10:46 PM
Yeah, although i'm not sure it means 100% Ireland though? It might be western Britain too.

BackToTheForests
05-29-2019, 10:54 PM

Thanks for your response, based on what I see here and in my DNA matches that are fully Irish I definitely think something is going on. On GEDmatch she scores England in her top populations and oracles, although this could be common even for Irish, I’m not sure.

If it was only one test I wouldn’t take it so seriously but it’s across platforms.

Robert1
05-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Yeah, although i'm not sure it means 100% Ireland though? It might be western Britain too.

It seems to work that way for me. While my known Irish is ~18% I also have about 63% west Britain after adding Wales, Scotland and west England. East England is 15% and continental Europe is 4%. Some sites treat me like people with very high Ireland - 23&Me assigns 95.3% British&Irish. To get much higher B&I there you'd expect near 100% Ireland.

Nqp15hhu
05-31-2019, 12:46 AM
It seems to work that way for me. While my known Irish is ~18% I also have about 63% west Britain after adding Wales, Scotland and west England. East England is 15% and continental Europe is 4%. Some sites treat me like people with very high Ireland - 23&Me assigns 95.3% British&Irish. To get much higher B&I there you'd expect near 100% Ireland.

Yeah, I'm still struggling to interpret the British Isles categories. I don't think the organisations have got it fully pat down yet.

Molfish
05-31-2019, 06:50 AM
My updated cautious map
https://i.postimg.cc/DfGS6XYH/ldnamapmay2019.jpg

Father's cautious map (Irish Midlands)
https://i.postimg.cc/K88c6kJZ/LDNAmay2019a.jpg

Mother's cautious map from upload (English North Midlands)
https://i.postimg.cc/1zgmzkk2/ldnamay2019b.jpg

JonikW
06-16-2019, 10:28 AM
I see that my cautious mode Cumbria-related ancestry has now been renamed North-England related ancestry. The percentages and maps haven't changed, but the new label seems to make sense for an area that includes a lot more than Cumbria. I hope this implies they're actively working on these regions and that updated results will be in soon.

Robert1
06-16-2019, 04:32 PM
I see that my cautious mode Cumbria-related ancestry has now been renamed North-England related ancestry. The percentages and maps haven't changed, but the new label seems to make sense for an area that includes a lot more than Cumbria. I hope this implies they're actively working on these regions and that updated results will be in soon.

I just checked and my Mother's Cautious Mode Cumbria-related ancestry also has been renamed North-England related ancestry. No other changes in her results or mine or my paternal aunt's. Percentages remained the same.

Nino90
06-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Does anybody know when we who uploaded DNA from other sites gonna get the ancestry feature ?
It's been half a year for me now.

FionnSneachta
06-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Does anybody know when we who uploaded DNA from other sites gonna get the ancestry feature ?
It's been half a year for me now.

When did you upload? If you didn't upload during the Find My Past promotional period, you won't get an ancestry breakdown.

What do I get if I upload?

Uploaded files will gain free access to our Family networks matching service but will not receive any autosomal, mtDNA or Y-DNA results.

If you would like the full Living DNA experience, you can purchase our 3-in-one kit from our website.

https://support.livingdna.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012509652-What-format-does-my-file-need-to-be-in-to-successfully-upload-

FionnSneachta
06-17-2019, 08:38 AM
My dad's Northumbria-related ancestry has also been renamed North England-related ancestry.

Stephen1986
06-17-2019, 09:26 AM
Yeah, my biggest component is now called Wales-related ancestry which includes NW England. It used to be called North Wales-related ancestry if I remember correctly. My Cumbria-related ancestry has changed to North England-related and my Orkney to North Scotland.

kiterunner
06-18-2019, 09:02 AM
I don't see any difference in mine yet so I assume that they haven't updated everyone's?

Got an email from Living DNA yesterday which made me laugh:
"As a Living DNA customer we really appreciate your continued support and feedback. Sharing your amazing stories and brand experience is extremely important to us and we would love to hear your reviews. We would be incredibly grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to write a Facebook review for us... As a thank you for leaving your review you will be entered into a prize draw to win a free personalised ancestry results book of your Living DNA analysis".

Firstly, I really don't think they would love to read any review that I would write of their service. Secondly, if the book winner hasn't had their results updated yet, will they get a book of their original results, or have to wait for them to be updated? Would be annoying for them if they get a book of the original results and then see the update.

waltematec
07-01-2019, 03:25 AM
Yea, mine still haven’t updated yet. Are they doing them one at a time, or will it go live for everyone at once?