PDA

View Full Version : Men and women's brains are 'wired differently'

Clinton P
12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
"Men and women's brains are wired in completely different ways which may explain why the sexes excel at certain tasks, brain scans reveal."

"Male brains are wired front to back [or back to front], with few connections bridging the two hemispheres."

"In females, the connections criss-cross between left and right."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25198063) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

Táltos
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes I have seen this in action on numerous occasions. No offense guys, you really can only focus on one thing at a time. Be it my husband, or brother, male cousin the simple task of watching the T.V. and engaging in any conversation is a big no-no! They will stare at the T.V. like a zombie and not hear a question or any conversation. Well I suppose they could conveniently be ignoring me, LOL! I know I can talk on the phone , watch T.V., and catch my child with her hands in the cookie jar all at the same time.

Ian B
12-09-2013, 12:29 AM
"Men and women's brains are wired in completely different ways which may explain why the sexes excel at certain tasks, brain scans reveal."

"Male brains are wired front to back [or back to front], with few connections bridging the two hemispheres."

"In females, the connections criss-cross between left and right."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25198063) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

This confirms what every married man knows. The fact that it has now been medically proven is great.:biggrin1:

alan
12-09-2013, 01:04 AM
I generally prefer the female brain due to more empathy and have generally found them better co-workers due to multi-tasking and forward planning. The only downside about the female brain I see is a stronger tendancy to the green eyed monster, petty materialism, bitching about other women, complexes about appearance etc.

There are some serious male cases of 'one task at a time' and no big picture skills I have come across. However, I would not outside work judge people on their productivity or cleverness etc, being a nice human is just 1000 times more important. I think the more extreme end of the male brain also leads to stubborn blockheadedness, pride, grudge holding and not seeing the big picture/perspective on things. The plus side about men is they are usually good at rubbing along in large groups with a lot of slagging off and slightly rough bonding but know the rules of where not to walk over someones pride. Pride is a major male sin but other men know about this and will generally know not to dent it as its a line which if crossed will turn very nasty. I think for guys a basic level of pride is required for them to function - hence the 'never admitting being wrong' thing which even really nice men sometimes suffer from. I think the problem with traditionally male characteristics of being less emotional, more arrogant, aggressive, thrill seeking etc is once you go along the spectrum too far you are a sociopath.

It is of course statistic averaging and you will get a few women with more male brains than some men and vice versa. I know some women who have very male brains, more male than mine lol. I think the women from venus men from mars thing is where girly girls meet blokey blokes and they essentially are like aliens to each other. I dont think they would like each other at all if it wasnt sexual. On the other hand you get far less knuckledragger type men and what used to be called tomboy women (which I am pretty sure is politically incorrect to use now).

Of course we should ask how much is from birth and how much is nurture, early differential treatment etc. I think it is partly nurture on top of a nature base. However, IMO I would never want women to become more like men. If anything the reverse would probably be better for the world.

utR!
12-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Yes this is something when it can be tested like that.

Who knows how much it is learnt and those connections working after repeated so many time. There is a reason for it when you are looking at the family and how it should keept united Or is it how we are created so wisely to be completed. There would not be any magnetism between men and woman if we would be similar.

I have wonder why men (not all) when they are so in love, behave tenderly, sofly and a full of feelings. I know it is hormones but can it be something else, finding a missing part perhaps...

:wave:

utR!

basque
12-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Yes I have seen this in action on numerous occasions. No offense guys, you really can only focus on one thing at a time. Be it my husband, or brother, male cousin the simple task of watching the T.V. and engaging in any conversation is a big no-no! They will stare at the T.V. like a zombie and not hear a question or any conversation. Well I suppose they could conveniently be ignoring me, LOL! I know I can talk on the phone , watch T.V., and catch my child with her hands in the cookie jar all at the same time.

Exactly right. Another man thing is (pre sat nav) when they are driving somewhere and get lost and will not stop and ask the way. If I had not got out of the car and asked for directions we would still be lost or given up and gone home. I am sure I do typical female annoying stuff.

basque:rolleyes:

utR!
12-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Exactly right. Another man thing is (pre sat nav) when they are driving somewhere and get lost and will not stop and ask the way. If I had not got out of the car and asked for directions we would still be lost or given up and gone home. I am sure I do typical female annoying stuff.

basque:rolleyes:

A navigator is a solution for this...;)

Best

utR!

geebee
12-10-2013, 06:19 AM
I still feel compelled to point out that there is nothing in the study that suggests that ALL men tested one way, and ALL women tested another. More likely, individuals of both sexes included both inter- and intra-hemispheric "wiring", and while the vast majority of individuals likely followed the general pattern of their sex, there was surely some overlap.

What's more, it's difficult to how why this is. There are innate and obvious difference between the sexes -- happily enough, as far as I'm concerned -- but it's also clear that social conditioning begins from the moment a child's sex becomes known.

(I can recall that when my daughter was in no more than second grade, she wanted to talk about dinosaurs with another girl of the same age. The girl not only declined, she emphatically declined, saying: "I'm not a boy." Clearly, even at that age she'd learned "dinosaurs were only a boy thing". I don't think my daughter ever did. But she was also raised a bit unconventionally. When her mother returned to work after our daughter's birth, I stayed home. One result was that my daughter later said that, as a preschooler she was a bit surprised to learn that not all daddies stayed home, and not all mommies went to work.)

EDIT: My wife has been a petroleum engineer for over 30 years. I doubt that at this point that many of her male colleagues would dispute that, professionally at least, she tends to "think like an engineer" -- which of course is not necessarily the same thing as saying she "thinks like a man". Certainly, I don't see her as "unfeminine", nor myself as "unmasculine", even though my professional training as as an elementary and junior high school teacher. (But with a specialization in "mathematics".)

Nevertheless, it would be very interesting to look at the professional and social lives of the test subjects, to see if the ONLY correlation is to gender, or whether there might not also be secondary correlations related to "life roles".

It's a fascinating topic, but I still prefer to believe that I "think like me", and not so much that I "think like a guy".

(And I emphatically do not have a one track mind. My mind has many tracks. What it lacks are reliable switches, to let me move from one track to another; or to keep me from switching tracks when I didn't really want to. And of course, there are days when the train left the station, but no one was aboard.)

2nd EDIT: Speaking of one track minds ... if there is only one track, what would be the need to ask "directions"? I can just picture the stationmaster having to apologize because "the train got lost". :)

geebee
12-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Paul

I except "I learned to walk as a baby, and I haven't had a lesson since" means you're relatively young and in reasonable health. I, too, learned to walk as a baby, but at 57 I have various joint-related problems -- knees, ankles, feet, toes. (Not to mention, neck and spine ...) I just had a lesson yesterday on how to walk, and am not entirely sure I passed the test.

The therapist said I wasn't "landing on my heel" properly, or "pushing off with my forefoot" properly. I either lifted my heels to high, or not high enough. Probably because it was still hurting like Dante's ninth circle*. Alas, nothing is as simple as it used to be, except my doctor's diet advice: "Eat less, exercise more."

*Slight exaggeration. Probably more like the 3rd circle. Come to think of it, I think that is the one that has to do with gluttony.

tamilgangster
09-16-2014, 01:10 AM
This explains why certain fields are more male dominated while others are female dominated. Mathematics and technology tend to require very technical thinking but not much connecting information are male dominated. While as psychology and fields that require understanding people are female dominated.

Gary Corbett
09-16-2014, 01:45 AM
So,someone had to do a scientific study in order to point out something every human being that ever lived already knew? :biggrin1: