PDA

View Full Version : Sign of distant Romani ancestry?

Shanatova
03-12-2019, 03:58 AM
Hello, on various gedmatch genesis calculators I'm finding small percentages of Indian/South Asian/South Indian. There is a family legend of someone down the line marrying a "Hungarian gypsy". I never believed the story, but seeing this mysterious Indian percentage has me thinking it may be possible. Now, I could chalk it up to noise but my mother shows the same strange amount of Indian. I am not expecting anything spectacular of this, just curious to know if my grandmother's nonsense had some truth to it.

I am partial to MDPL since it has Saami as one of its populations, which I gained partial ancestry from my father's side. My results look pretty European to me.

I apologize, I cannot post my full results, as it's being interpreted as a link. I can offer you the kit numbers:
My mother's: H021888
Mine: FA7554881
Evil twin: FA7554881M2
Phased paternal kit: FA7554881P1

digital_noise
03-12-2019, 05:31 AM
Your small amount is .59%. That's noise. While it certainly might be true you had a distant Romani ancestor, it is not possible to confirm that with these results.

BTW, there are two fairly long threads in another section of the forum, roughly named "Am I a Gypsy?", and "How to tell Romani Ancestry", or something like that. Worth checking

mildlycurly
03-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Check against the baseline amounts of South/West Asian for your ethnicities in the spreadsheets. If you get more than the baseline amounts, it's probable, but you'd have to check against known Romani kits to be more certain and even then it's not a guarantee due to the high amount of mixing with locals in the Romani population.

The user JerryS has a list of Romani GEDmatch kits, you could try PMing him.

evon
03-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Hello, on various gedmatch genesis calculators I'm finding small percentages of Indian/South Asian/South Indian. There is a family legend of someone down the line marrying a "Hungarian gypsy". I never believed the story, but seeing this mysterious Indian percentage has me thinking it may be possible. Now, I could chalk it up to noise but my mother shows the same strange amount of Indian. I am not expecting anything spectacular of this, just curious to know if my grandmother's nonsense had some truth to it.

I am partial to MDPL since it has Saami as one of its populations, which I gained partial ancestry from my father's side. My results look pretty European to me.

I apologize, I cannot post my full results, as it's being interpreted as a link. I can offer you the kit numbers:

See here why admixture is not good way to detect Romani ancestry:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13431-101-Guide-to-Romani-ancestry

tipirneni
03-14-2019, 12:39 AM

On genesis ged, I am on SK1225 tree close to Romani but I am South Asian.
(*Telugu Andhra Kamma) [Migration - F2 - T] and H021888 (*Bina) [Migration - F2 - H]
Minimum segment threshold size to be included in total = 100 SNPs
Minimum segment cM to be included in total = 1.0 cM
Largest segment = 4.8 cM
Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 634.5 cM (17.691 Pct)
435 shared segments found for this comparison.
617958 SNPs used for this comparison.

*Telugu Andhra Kamma) [Migration - F2 - T] and FA7554881 (*Fi) [MyHeritage]

Minimum segment threshold size to be included in total = 100 SNPs
Minimum segment cM to be included in total = 1.0 cM
Largest segment = 4.7 cM
Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 660.0 cM (18.402 Pct)
450 shared segments found for this comparison.
616234 SNPs used for this comparison.

There are close segments, however Segments are not big & match areas don't have enough Indian part like in Romanis. There is some Balochi & East Euro parts that are matching here. May be there is Iran or CentralAsia or Caucasus admixure