PDA

View Full Version : British and Basque

Solothurn
03-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Hi

Do any other British get any Basque in their results?

My cousin got 3.4%, only small but think it is too much to be just noise IMHO :)

artemv
03-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Hi

My cousin got 3.4%, only small but think it is too much to be just noise IMHO :)

My father got also about 3% of Basque results.
His ancestry is partly East Slavic, partly Balkan, there should be nothing to the West from Ballkans.
This is just a LivingDNA error, nothing more.

Solothurn
03-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Thanks

My cousin has 6% Eastern Europe on FTDNA, so maybe that is the chunk they are misreading!

03-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Hi

I get 1.9% but there is a Technical note on the results page :-

Technical Note

The Basque may be the best representatives of an ancient European population. Basque ancestry is frequently inferred in small proportions in individuals throughout Europe.

If you have Basque ancestry that you didn’t expect: This ancestry is commonly used as a surrogate for variation towards this ancient population. It probably does not reflect very recent admixture when seen at low proportions.

If you have Basque ancestry but it is not inferred as strongly as expected: Basque individuals show very strong sharing of some regions of DNA, but some carry less of these shared segments. This may be due to some non-Basque ancestors, and there are also differences between French and Spanish Basque people. If you have less, then you will be inferred as a Basque/Spanish/French mixture.

Solothurn
03-16-2019, 06:02 PM
I saw that but thought I may be bringing up the old chestnut of Spanish R1b in Ireland. My cousin was adopted and has 22% Irish :)