PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA Y37 test

Huntchback
03-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Hello esteemed members. My case is a curious one. FTDNA is currently performing a backbone SNP test because they could not yet assign me to a specific haplogroup through the Y-37 test. I am Portuguese and have just 5 matches at a genetic distance of 1 at 12 markers, nothing else. The Portuguese match is E-M123, one E-M35 German, one E-M35 in Italy, one G-PF5721 in Dominican Republic and one H-69 in Sri Lanka. Nevgen assigns me E1b1b with a relative probability of 0.83. They also assign me, in another model with longer haplotypes and with less like likelihood, to V1515. Any help would be appreciated.

aaronbee2010
03-30-2019, 11:59 AM
Hello esteemed members. My case is a curious one. FTDNA is currently performing a backbone SNP test because they could not yet assign me to a specific haplogroup through the Y-37 test. I am Portuguese and have just 5 matches at a genetic distance of 1 at 12 markers, nothing else. The Portuguese match is E-M123, one E-M35 German, one E-M35 in Italy, one G-PF5721 in Dominican Republic and one H-69 in Sri Lanka. Nevgen assigns me E1b1b with a relative probability of 0.83. They also assign me, in another model with longer haplotypes and with less like likelihood, to V1515. Any help would be appreciated.

By any chance are you from North Portugal? E-M123 appears have a small but significant cluster around there from what I've seen.

Do you know if the E-M35 German and E-M35 Italian are on any public projects? And if so, what are their kit numbers? I can compare their Y-STR values against members of E projects on FTDNA and see if I can infer them as possibly being M123+ or not.

G-PF5721 appears to be clustered around Eastern Europe and West Asia, so you coming under that group is unlikely. H-M69 is even less likely.

I think it's fairly safe to say you come somewhere under E-M35, and E-M123 is not unusual for somebody from Portugal, especially North Portugal.

Also, welcome to Anthrogenica :D

Ruderico
03-30-2019, 12:14 PM
I just saw your post on the E-M35 project page at FTDNA, unfortunetly we're not a match, despite me being E-M123* (PF4428 BY36857)

Keep us updated on what you find :)

Huntchback
03-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Thank you both for your kind answers.

Yes, I am from north/central Portugal. I don't possess any information on the matches other than the Portuguese one, which is in the E-M35 project (although I don't know his STR values).

Very little information.

ArmandoR1b
03-30-2019, 03:45 PM
For your subclade it would be a good idea to get the E Superclade Panel here (https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=51240) It will go deeper and for a lower price than what FTDNA offers

Huntchback
03-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Thank you for your answer. I had already thought of that option and sounds to me like the best path to follow.

Huntchback
04-10-2019, 02:42 PM
There it is, FTDNA confirmed E-M35. According to Dr. Wim Penninx I am likely V22. Will, one day, be testing the E haplogroup panel at yseq. It's just sad that then I will not be able to join the yfull tree. Anyway, I am not expecting any close matches.
Thank you, fellow members of anthrogenica.

Ruderico
04-10-2019, 03:21 PM
There it is, FTDNA confirmed E-M35. According to Dr. Wim Penninx I am likely V22. Will, one day, be testing the E haplogroup panel at yseq. It's just sad that then I will not be able to join the yfull tree. Anyway, I am not expecting any close matches.

There's actually no Portuguese E-V22 at yfull yet, you're pretty unique in that regard. On the other hand it's just one ancestral line out of many, so you know.. :)

Huntchback
04-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Of course. The trouble with seeming "unique" is that you get less information from matches. Thkx

aaronbee2010
04-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Just remember that the E Superclade Panel is $99, and you get free shipping for $100+ orders, so you can just buy a "Wish a SNP" or "Wish a STR" service, with a random SNP or STR. They provide instructions for how to add a SNP or STR as well.

Huntchback
04-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. Wouldn't SNP information be more valuable than STR?

aaronbee2010
04-12-2019, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. Wouldn't SNP information be more valuable than STR?

You're just doing it to get the basket up to $100 so I don't think it matter's too much.

If it does interest you, then you may want to pick a SNP.

Farroukh
04-14-2019, 02:49 AM
Dear Huntchback,
Your haplogroup is E-M35 (confirmed by backbone SNP test). But the downstream was only predicted by Y-STR values.

In some cases E-V22 and E-M34 have homoplasic similarity. My only one "zero-step" 0/12 match is E-V22, but I am E-M34.

Therefore I strongly recommend you to order BigY during sales period. "SNP by SNP" shooting strategy is not good for guys like us. You will loose a little money for uncompleted information. I did it many years. BigY700& Yfull is most informative strategy for nowadays.

(There was no wide sequencing tests 10 years ago. Therefore I wasted money for SNP pack and dozens of single SNP test. Only BigY &Yfull showed I am the new downstream of E-M34. Now my branch is E-Y37093. Your situation looks very like mine. You seems to be from new uncovered branch with 5000 years old age or even older. You are not in typical Mediterranean pack of E-M35.

Save your money with BigY. Yes, I am not joking :)
Good luck!

Huntchback
04-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Dear Farroukh.

Thank you very much for your answer. I will think about it. But I will not be able to do it in the near future. It is very expensive.

Thanks again.

Huntchback
10-10-2019, 06:11 AM
Hey folks,

Still waiting for some SNP results, but it seems like I am one of the few European males belonging to V1515. My best guess right now is that my paternal ancestor came during the Muslim rule of Iberia.

RCO
10-11-2019, 10:52 AM
The other Portuguese from Madeira is here https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-BY36924*/

RobertCasey
10-11-2019, 01:24 PM
I would upgrade to Y67 prior to any YSNP testing. At Y67, your haplogroup could become predictable and chartable. Around 60 to 80 % of testers fall into the predictable category. Unfortunately, there are so many YSNP branches these days that NevGen (the most updated YSNP predictor tool), just can not keep up with the rate of discovery. But you can manually predict your own haplogroup if you are will to invest the time to: 1) mine your matches into EXCEL spreadsheet (from public projects and contacting your matches to join a relevant project and requesting them to opt in to sharing so that you can see their results. Here is how YSNP prediction works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1HHb0Cwfs

Huntchback
10-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but I am in the midst of an E superclade panel in which I already know, from partial results, to be V1515.

Farroukh
10-13-2019, 05:07 AM
Dear huntchback,
Therere is a downstream branch of this haplogroup (V1515=CTS10880) in Portugal:
https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-BY36924*/

Do you plan to upgrade?

Farroukh
10-13-2019, 05:11 AM
Iberian peninsula is nextdoor to Northern Africa and E-M35 migrations started many centuries before Arabian invasion. There no clear proof of your "Morisco" ancestry.
Upgrade to BigY is my typical recommendation for untypical E-M35 results. :)
Kindest regards

Huntchback
10-23-2019, 07:54 AM
Update: I tested positive for PH1818. It still really doesn't say much. I notice that there is a British/American cluster of PH1818 in FTDNA. For now, it is difficult to make sense of the data.