PDA

View Full Version : Raw DNA data and calculators

Prunj7
04-27-2019, 06:29 PM
Still quite new at all this, I tested at MyHeritage and have the rawDNA data.
I used GEDmatch, and some other site that said it could find my haplogroup or something via the DNA data that I had.

Now I see people use all kinds of calculators, showing them how "Slavic" they are or how "Celtic" they are etc. How much is from the Baltics and how much is from Balkans, what time era they came there etc etc...

How do people do this? I tried looking for an explenation, but it's all very confusing or very short answers.

I see people post long strips of code around the forums, what is that and how do they get it? What kind of ways can I use my own PC to calculate stuff? How long does it take?
I also saw this program called Admixture Studio, which looks pretty good but I couldn't get it to work I think. I tried different calculators and get the exact same result, with Oceania being the largest. But im pretty sure it's wrong, it's the same percentages and wrong places for me every time.

So if anyone would like to please help me a bit? :)

shazou
09-01-2019, 02:19 AM
just try as many calculators as you can IMO, then decide for yourself which results best meet your expectations and educated guesswork etc

JMcB
09-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Still quite new at all this, I tested at MyHeritage and have the rawDNA data.
I used GEDmatch, and some other site that said it could find my haplogroup or something via the DNA data that I had.

Now I see people use all kinds of calculators, showing them how "Slavic" they are or how "Celtic" they are etc. How much is from the Baltics and how much is from Balkans, what time era they came there etc etc...

How do people do this? I tried looking for an explenation, but it's all very confusing or very short answers.

I see people post long strips of code around the forums, what is that and how do they get it? What kind of ways can I use my own PC to calculate stuff? How long does it take?
I also saw this program called Admixture Studio, which looks pretty good but I couldn't get it to work I think. I tried different calculators and get the exact same result, with Oceania being the largest. But im pretty sure it's wrong, it's the same percentages and wrong places for me every time.

So if anyone would like to please help me a bit? :)

Hello Prunj7,

What you are seeing when you see the strips of codes are people’s coordinates for the various G25 calculators. To get those codes they send their raw data to Eurogenes: http://bga101.blogspot.com/2017/10/genetic-ancestry-online-store-to-be.html

Where for a fee of $12 the proprietor will translate your raw data into your own coordinates. Those are what you need to try out the various calculators you’re seeing on this forum.

Those who have computers and the know how, will download the software to to run everything on their computers. Those like me, who don’t have a computer will use Poi’s G25 Web Runner to try out various personal models or run the calculators people post here.

Here is the thread that contains the information on Poi’s Web Runner:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14849-Automated-Global25-nMonte-entirely-from-the-web

I would suggest reading whatever you can on the subject to familiarize yourself with what’s entailed. It might be a good idea to also direct any questions you may have over there. As it’s a thread that’s devoted to that subject.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with Admixture Studios because I’ve never used that platform.

Anyway, good luck!

JerryS.
09-04-2019, 02:36 AM
my raw data is close to 10 years old. I occasionally read how new tests now check more SNPs or use improved algorithms or something... this could have an affect on your population groups but only a little bit in my opinion. I mean you might have a change of 5% one way or another like 10% German could become 5% or 15% depending.... but I don't think Celtic would change to Slavic. I should probably get a new test for the raw data and see what if anything changes.

Prunj7
11-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Hello Prunj7,

What you are seeing when you see the strips of codes are people’s coordinates for the various G25 calculators. To get those codes they send their raw data to Eurogenes: http://bga101.blogspot.com/2017/10/genetic-ancestry-online-store-to-be.html

Where for a fee of $12 the proprietor will translate your raw data into your own coordinates. Those are what you need to try out the various calculators you’re seeing on this forum.

Those who have computers and the know how, will download the software to to run everything on their computers. Those like me, who don’t have a computer will use Poi’s G25 Web Runner to try out various personal models or run the calculators people post here.

Here is the thread that contains the information on Poi’s Web Runner:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14849-Automated-Global25-nMonte-entirely-from-the-web

I would suggest reading whatever you can on the subject to familiarize yourself with what’s entailed. It might be a good idea to also direct any questions you may have over there. As it’s a thread that’s devoted to that subject.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with Admixture Studios because I’ve never used that platform.

Anyway, good luck!

Haven't been on this site for a while, so late reply. But I thank you for the help provided :)