PDA

View Full Version : New to site! Need help understanding my 23andMe R1b subclade

Wonder_Wall
12-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Hello all,

This site is fascinating and a wonderful adjunct to my reading.

I recently had my genome analyzed by 23andMe. I was able to acquire all the health info before the FDA axe fell and thankfully, it's mostly rather boring information without any dramatically elevated risks. B)

What I don't quite understand is the discussion of my Y-dna. Yes, they have correctly mapped me back to my paternal grandfather in Ireland, but there is not much discussion beyond that. Also, it doesn't seem like the 23andMe nomenclature is consistent with the Wiki page on R1b, so yeah, it's a little confusing.

Here's my Y-dna: R1b1b2a1a2f

I understand that I am somewhere down the fork from P312 but that's the extent of it. Do I need to download my genome and start drilling with off the shelf tools?

Thanks and any help appreciated.

lgmayka
12-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Under Ancestry Tools, you will find a Haplogroup Tree Mutation Mapper. Select Paternal (Y chromosome) and enter R1b1b2a1a2f, then click on List Mutations. You will see that you are L21+ .

Clinton P
12-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Further to what Igmayka has said.

23andMe uses the outdated ISOGG 2010 Y-DNA Haplogroup Tree, which is why you have been designated R1b1b2a1a2f. The shorthand form of this is R-L21, and L21 is equivalent to M529 and S145.

The ISOGG 2013 Y-DNA Haplogroup Tree would have you designated as R1b1a2a1a2c, and just to complicate matters even more R-L21 at FamilyTreeDNA is R1b1a2a1a1b4.

Clinton P

Wonder_Wall
12-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks very much!

Joe B
12-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Here is a good place to start your research. R-L21 Plus Project (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/)
The phylogenetic tree just shows how in depth the research has been for R1b-L21. Are you thinking about Y-STR(short tandem repeat) testing? STRs are a long series of numbers you can find by clicking Y-DNA Results>classic or colorized in the drop-down menu of the L21 project. Preferred level is 67 or 111 STRs.
Y-DNA Results>classic or colorized.
Welcome and good luck.

Dubhthach
12-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Regarding your paternal grandfather, what's the Irish surname he carried?

-Paul
(DF41+)

Wonder_Wall
12-11-2013, 03:18 AM
He was a Kennedy.

Dubhthach
12-11-2013, 02:13 PM
From Woulfe's 1923 book:

Ó CINNÉIDE, Ó CINNÉIDIDH, Ó CINNÉIDIGH—I—O Kinedy, O'Kennedy, Kennedy; 'descendant of Cinnéididh' (helmeted-head); the name of at least two families in Ireland: (1) Ó C. of Ormond, a branch of the Dál gCais, who derive their name and descent from Cinnéidigh, son of Donnchuan the brother of Brian Boru. They were originally seated at Glenomra, coextensive with the present parish of Killokennedy, in the east of Co. Clare, but on being driven thence at an early period by the O'Briens and MacNamaras, they settled in Tipperary, in the baronies of Upper and Lower Ormond, where they became very numerous and far more powerful than they had ever been in their ancient home in Thomond. From the 12th to the 16th century, they ranked as lords of Ormond, and were divided into three great branches, viz: Ó C. Fionn (the Fair), Ó C. Donn (the Brown), and Ó C. Ruadh (the Red). (2) Ó C. of Clann Cearnaigh, a branch of the Ui Maine, in Co. Galway. The name is now very common throughout Ireland.