PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision 2019 and MyHeritage

Dorkymon
05-02-2019, 11:14 AM
MyHeritage and Eurovision entered into a partnership whereby the current and some past participants will test with them. They had something similar for the World Cup if you guys remember.

https://www.myheritage.com/eurovision/

BackToTheForests
05-02-2019, 11:48 AM
It’s called Eurovision but I see some suspiciously non-European flags for contestants, I’ve never watched but is it not actually exclusive to Europe? Sorry if it’s a stupid question.

JonikW
05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
It’s called Eurovision but I see some suspiciously non-European flags for contestants, I’ve never watched but is it not actually exclusive to Europe? Sorry if it’s a stupid question.

Hopefully more people will be interested in testing as a result. Australia's taken part in the contest of late, also Turkey and Israel for some time. It's been many years since it was an exclusively Western European line-up.

BackToTheForests
05-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Hopefully more people will be interested in testing as a result. Australia's taken part in the contest of late, also Turkey and Israel for some time. It's been many years since it was an exclusively Western European line-up.

Thanks! The Australian flag was indeed the tip-off for me, the show seems like a nice concept.

Jessie
05-02-2019, 12:44 PM

You only need to be an associate member of the Eurovision Broadcasting Union so you don't necessarily have to be European. There are non-Europeans in the contest including Australia. Australia got in due to being mad fans of the Eurovision so they eventually just let them take part. :)

Phil1973
05-02-2019, 12:46 PM
It is a long time ago that "Eurovision" has nothing more to do with the European spirit and culture, now it is only a commercial and ideological show, promoting globalism, diversity etc...

So as far as I am concerned, this is not "MyHeritage" :)

Jessie
05-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Just looked at Eimear Quinn's result because I wanted to see if she had Ashkenazi Jewish and sure enough she does.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2eocfi9.jpg

There is something very odd about MyHeritage's test because virtually every Irish person gets Ashkenazi Jewish in their results. I've seen quite a few Irish results and I have tested with them as well and I also have Ashkenazi Jewish. The problem though is that Ireland had an extremely low population of Ashkenazi Jews so not likely that nearly every Irish person would end up with a percentage of this. I'd love to have it but I've not had it on other tests and have no known Jewish people in my family tree.

BackToTheForests
05-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Just looked at Eimear Quinn's result because I wanted to see if she had Ashkenazi Jewish and sure enough she does.

There is something very odd about MyHeritage's test because virtually every Irish person gets Ashkenazi Jewish in their results. I've seen quite a few Irish results and I have tested with them as well and I also have Ashkenazi Jewish. The problem though is that Ireland had an extremely low population of Ashkenazi Jews so not likely that nearly every Irish person would end up with a percentage of this. I'd love to have it but I've not had it on other tests and have no known Jewish people in my family tree.

I thought this was so odd, I even clicked that article expecting to see something silly (I wasn’t disappointed). My favorite part is how MyHeritage is so confident in this that they say “she also HAS Ashkenazi and Middle Eastern ancestry”, as if their test is infallible. Good for a giggle, I suppose.

Jessie
05-02-2019, 01:16 PM
I thought this was so odd, I even clicked that article expecting to see something silly (I wasn’t disappointed). My favorite part is how MyHeritage is so confident in this that they say “she also HAS Ashkenazi and Middle Eastern ancestry”, as if their test is infallible. Good for a giggle, I suppose.

Ireland has never had any more than 5,000 Jews and presently there is only approx 2,000 and most of these are in Dublin. I'm from areas with no Jewish people and yet it you check Irish results on MyHeritage nearly all with get some Ashkenazi Jewish. :) I'd really love to have something interesting like that but with nearly every Irish person getting it there is obviously something off with their test.

BackToTheForests
05-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Ireland has never had any more than 5,000 Jews and presently there is only approx 2,000 and most of these are in Dublin. I'm from areas with no Jewish people and yet it you check Irish results on MyHeritage nearly all with get some Ashkenazi Jewish. :) I'd really love to have something interesting like that but with nearly every Irish person getting it there is obviously something off with their test.

It's a bit perplexing for me because their Irish category estimates actually seem pretty decent (although I do believe it eats away English ancestry if you have it), it's just these small bits that get added in seem so unlikely and are usually never corroborated by other commercial tests. I always struggle with things like this but maybe they have a problem with their Irish samples? Maybe a few outliers slipped through the cracks? I know my mothers results didn't really match her paper trail, scoring only 78.8% in the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh category but, honestly, it's kind of in line with LivingDNA's Irish estimate for my mother (about 72/73% and that is AFTER the Irish panel update so I believe there may be something going on with her but I can't find any clues in my tree besides the obvious brick walls when you get into Ireland). Sorry for the off topic!

Jessie
05-02-2019, 03:50 PM
It's a bit perplexing for me because their Irish category estimates actually seem pretty decent (although I do believe it eats away English ancestry if you have it), it's just these small bits that get added in seem so unlikely and are usually never corroborated by other commercial tests. I always struggle with things like this but maybe they have a problem with their Irish samples? Maybe a few outliers slipped through the cracks? I know my mothers results didn't really match her paper trail, scoring only 78.8% in the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh category but, honestly, it's kind of in line with LivingDNA's Irish estimate for my mother (about 72/73% and that is AFTER the Irish panel update so I believe there may be something going on with her but I can't find any clues in my tree besides the obvious brick walls when you get into Ireland). Sorry for the off topic!

Doesn't your mother has some American Colonial ancestry? From what I've seen of your mother's results she does appear to have some non-Irish ancestry. It's exciting to have a mystery but a bit frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of it.

BackToTheForests
05-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Doesn't your mother has some American Colonial ancestry? From what I've seen of your mother's results she does appear to have some non-Irish ancestry. It's exciting to have a mystery but a bit frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of it.

She does! It's been an exceptionally difficult line to untangle, thankfully I do have DNA matches that link me to the appropriate ancestors to know that the research is, for the most part, correct, but going further than what I've got (mid-late 1700's) feels shaky. A lot of Colonial documentation is incredible and easy to link together but I seem to have gotten a nasty draw on my lines where evidence is scarce, some of the conclusions drawn by others seem fanciful, and there seems to have been a fair amount of movement with some of the families. It's possible that, along with her English Colonial ancestry, her elevated continental Colonial ancestry (Dutch/German and French) might further skew her results towards England in some results (certainly from what I've seen in her coordinate plots). Still, we are talking only a single great grandparent, so that approximate 12.5% seems to be also supported by something else (although, I keep trying to not take the outcome of ethnicity estimates to heart anymore it does seem to be a trend for her so far). Quite a puzzle.

Jessie
05-02-2019, 05:24 PM
She does! It's been an exceptionally difficult line to untangle, thankfully I do have DNA matches that link me to the appropriate ancestors to know that the research is, for the most part, correct, but going further than what I've got (mid-late 1700's) feels shaky. A lot of Colonial documentation is incredible and easy to link together but I seem to have gotten a nasty draw on my lines where evidence is scarce, some of the conclusions drawn by others seem fanciful, and there seems to have been a fair amount of movement with some of the families. It's possible that, along with her English Colonial ancestry, her elevated continental Colonial ancestry (Dutch/German and French) might further skew her results towards England in some results (certainly from what I've seen in her coordinate plots). Still, we are talking only a single great grandparent, so that approximate 12.5% seems to be also supported by something else (although, I keep trying to not take the outcome of ethnicity estimates to heart anymore it does seem to be a trend for her so far). Quite a puzzle.

Yes I can understand people's confusion. I'm fortunate in that I know my ancestry quite well. I'm really 100% Irish but if I was to look at Gedmatch and G25 and I wasn't aware of my ancestry I'd really think I had a lot of Scandinavian or Norwegian ancestry so it is a bit misleading and a minefield. I think it must be super difficult for adoptees or for people that don't really know their ancestry well.

FionnSneachta
05-02-2019, 05:30 PM

I'm not saying that my family and relatives are reflective of most Irish testers with MyHeritage but none of my 4 family members on MyHeritage have been assigned Ashkenazi Jewish. I looked at the top 11 matches who are based in Ireland and only 2 have been assigned Ashkenazi Jewish. I doubt that the assignment is real but I definitely wouldn't say that most Irish people get Ashkenazi based on my family and matches.

Dorkymon
05-02-2019, 05:48 PM

I get 0.3% of it on 23andme, but not anywhere else. This is followed by hundreds of Jewish DNA relatives who match on that segment, so maybe it's real.

digital_noise
05-02-2019, 05:50 PM
I saw an email today about this, some host on Fox and friends is Sicilian, and she still got that .8% Nigerian thing lol

msmarjoribanks
05-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Interesting. I knew Israel and Turkey were in, but not Australia.

Dorkymon
05-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Interesting. I knew Israel and Turkey were in, but not Australia.

Israel, Turkey and the Caucasus countries usually participate in Euro events, from being in the Council of Europe to sports and Eurovision.
I know that Israel joined because they are not welcome at local MENA parties. Turkey's in because it's transcontinental and has a partly shared history with Europe. The same goes for the Caucasus countries.
And then there's Australia, where apparently Eurovision is quite popular and they were allowed to participate.

msmarjoribanks
05-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was weird Canada and the US couldn't be in, given who else was (esp Canada), but I guess it makes sense.

I'm sure 23andMe is telling me again I should root for the UK.

talombo
05-08-2019, 04:24 AM
So Netta Barzilai (half sephardic) scored 51.4 sephardic and a full sephardic like me scored only 42.5 sephardic :\