PDA

View Full Version : Will other planets be colonized by short humans?

Tomenable
05-22-2019, 03:01 AM
If you have a spacecraft with a limited amount of space and a limited amount of food supplies, it is - logically thinking - better to take 150 short settlers than 100 tall settlers (for example). Taking this into consideration, can we expect that in the future other planets will be colonized by short people, while tall people like me - and our genes - will be doomed to remain on Earth? Unless they take with them also hibernated children, genetic material or reproductive cells.

Is being tall a dead end of evolution? For example Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, was just 157 cm short.

=====

Edit:

BTW most of potentially habitable exoplanets discovered so far are bigger than Earth, and so gravity is likely higher there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_exoplanets

Such planets are not an ideal environment for tall people. A stocky and short breed of humans would be better adapted.

Resources on other planets will likely also be limited and there will very likely be shortages of oxygen.

Look at human races who survive in low oxygen and high altitude environments. How do they look like?

They are short and stocky. Peoples like Tibetans, Peruvian Quechuas, Bolivian Aymaras come to mind.

Why do you think in our Science Fiction novels and movies, inhabitants of other planets are, usually, depicted as very short creatures?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTRdpW8oZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOzYPXvCqXA

On subconscious level SF creators already know what I'm discussing here. That short people are better adapted for space colonization.

spruithean
05-23-2019, 06:38 PM
It's certainly interesting to think about, I do wonder if humanity will ever manage to colonize other planets. Though, whether that's in my lifetime I do not know.

Curious one
05-23-2019, 08:07 PM
The best candidate for terraforming is the Mars and gravity of Mars very low.

Well at short term(for space journey), the long people more advantaged than shorts.

Milkyway
10-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Height may be a variable to take into account, but what about weight? I imagine you can put more people in a spaceshift if they're thin (much like in an elevator). I think that ageing is much more worrisome when it comes to interstellar travel. The distances between planets are huge, and most humans alive today wouldn't make it to the nearest solar system even if they traveled at the speed of light. And let's not forget space radiation... I don't think that humans (or any living being) are prepared for these travels, so we'd have to use machines.

Paul333
10-23-2019, 05:07 PM
I cannot see it happening ever, but if we do, it will be a very long time, and many hundreds if not thousands of generations in the future, if we are able to survive that long.

Our present body shape, and form, will have to of been genetically changed to order, to meet any such future travel.

We cannot live anywhere else other than earth in our present form, we could visit Mars etc but we have to create our earthly enviroment,and take it with us, in order for us to do even this.

To colonise other planets, we will probably have to be encoded into a form of adaptive DNA, that would take a very long time to develop, and take form, for any or each specific enviroment in order to live there, so much so, that by then we ourselves would probably look like some form of alien species compared to the Human form we have today.