PDA

View Full Version : mtDNA from AncestryDNA

Wing Genealogist
05-26-2019, 02:31 PM
The AncestryDNA raw data does include mtDNA data (which is labelled as Chromosome 25). Does anyone know of any program which can read the raw AncestryDNA data and convert the mtDNA data into a format which can be read by James Lick's mtDNA utility?

ArmandoR1b
05-26-2019, 03:47 PM
The AncestryDNA raw data does include mtDNA data (which is labelled as Chromosome 25). Does anyone know of any program which can read the raw AncestryDNA data and convert the mtDNA data into a format which can be read by James Lick's mtDNA utility?
Chromosome 25 are the pseudo-autosomal regions. Chromosome 26 is the mtDNA and there are only 195 mutations which is an extremely low number and it is hard to determine if any of them are false negatives or false positives without a lot of people with full mtDNA testing and AncestryDNA testing posting their raw data. So it is not advisable to use the mtDNA raw data from AncestryDNA.

Wing Genealogist
05-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Dang! I was hoping it would be more informative than it is. Even 23andMe was able to squeeze enough mtDNA markers in their test to make Haplogroup assignments. Oh well, it is what it is, so grumbling about it won't be productive.

mildlycurly
06-03-2019, 06:50 PM
I converted my Ancestry raw data to 23andme format and it seemed to yield accurate results.

ArmandoR1b
06-03-2019, 11:47 PM
I converted my Ancestry raw data to 23andme format and it seemed to yield accurate results.

You might have been one of the few subclades that are well tested. That doesn't mean overall it is a good test. There is a huge difference between anecdotes and a high rate of accurate results for a large percentage of testers. Where else have you had your mtDNA tested?

vettor
06-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Dang! I was hoping it would be more informative than it is. Even 23andMe was able to squeeze enough mtDNA markers in their test to make Haplogroup assignments. Oh well, it is what it is, so grumbling about it won't be productive.

double post

vettor
06-04-2019, 06:01 PM

i used mitotool

result I got , ................... I used by father's 23andme v4 results ( he was T2b mtdna in 23andme )

received from mitotool
https://i.postimg.cc/bJT3jM35/lucio-mtdna.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

which states T2b17

which I since confirmed to be T2b17 ......................... mitotool gave me correct results ...............I have used mitotool 3 times on 3 different samples and it never failed

James lick program ( which I re-ran 2 weeks ago ) gives for my father's data a not confirmed options of ....first choice of T2b24 and second a T2b17

ArmandoR1b
06-05-2019, 12:07 AM
i used mitotool

result I got , ................... I used by father's 23andme v4 results ( he was T2b mtdna in 23andme )

received from mitotool

which states T2b17

which I since confirmed to be T2b17 ......................... mitotool gave me correct results ...............I have used mitotool 3 times on 3 different samples and it never failed

James lick program ( which I re-ran 2 weeks ago ) gives for my father's data a not confirmed options of ....first choice of T2b24 and second a T2b17

It's not surprising that 23andme had enough data for a fairly accurate prediction for your father since v4 has over 3,200 mtDNA positions that are tested while AncestryDNA only has 195. Also, understanding the results of James Lick calculator needs an understanding of mismatches, no-calls, and untested mutations.

Separately, your logical fallacy, being anecdotal (https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal), is that mitotool is better for everyone just because it was better for you. In my own case mitotool did not correctly find my subclade using my 23andme v4 test results but the James Lick calculator did predict it. It took a full sequence mtDNA test by FTDNA for me to be 100% confident of the result and to also see that one of the positions had a false negative by 23andme.

crossover
06-05-2019, 12:53 AM
ancestrydna doesn't include enough of mtdna to be useful for haplogroup prediction. found that out hard way

ArmandoR1b
06-05-2019, 02:59 AM
ancestrydna doesn't include enough of mtdna to be useful for haplogroup prediction. found that out hard way Correct. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?17228-mtDNA-from-AncestryDNA&p=571042&viewfull=1#post571042