PDA

View Full Version : Geno 2.0 DNA Ancestry kits are no longer available for purchase

talombo
06-02-2019, 11:16 AM
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

Genographic Project Update
The Genographic Project was launched in 2005 as a research project in collaboration with scientists and universities around the world with a goal of revealing patterns of human migration. Since then, nearly 1 million people have participated in The Genographic Project through National Geographic’s “Geno” DNA Ancestry kits. The public participation phase of this research project is ending and, as a result, effective May 31, 2019, Geno 2.0 DNA Ancestry kits are no longer available for purchase. If you have already purchased a kit, you may still send it in for processing in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of sale.

National Geographic currently plans to maintain this site, through which customers may access their results, until the end of 2020. Please see our FAQ page for more information.

Carl45
07-23-2019, 01:05 AM
You can buy a kit on ebay. But, make sure you check your raw data. National Geographic gives wrong results.

GoldenHind
07-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Due to numerous errors and omissions, this test was a waste of money for many people, often producing incorrect or incomplete and misleading results. It's no loss. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and for those who did take it, I would recommend they do a test with another company to verify the result.

Bog Body
07-24-2019, 12:41 AM
Due to numerous errors and omissions, this test was a waste of money for many people, often producing incorrect or incomplete and misleading results. It's no loss. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and for those who did take it, I would recommend they do a test with another company to verify the result.

Hear, hear.

Diego.Mòchen
08-27-2020, 08:03 AM

I enjoy Geno 2.0 test, but after that i uploaded RAW datas (from Geno) to other websites as FTDna (for free), LivingDNA (paying 30 euro more) and on GEDmatch (for free).

Results coming from this other application has to be consider still wrong?

GoldenHind
08-27-2020, 05:39 PM
I enjoy Geno 2.0 test, but after that i uploaded RAW datas (from Geno) to other websites as FTDna (for free), LivingDNA (paying 30 euro more) and on GEDmatch (for free).

I wouldn't say your result should be considered wrong, just suspect. Geno 2 was notorious for false positive results, particularly with certain markers.but that doesn't mean every result was incorrect. I haven't heard of any examples of false positives for R-U106, so if that was your result, it may well be accurate.

Osiris
08-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Yeah, my GENO 2.0 results cost me quite a bit of money. I'm a rare version of R-L2. I had already proved that I wasn't any of the larger descendant groups so hoped that the GENO 2.0 might find something underneath L2. It came back with some interesting novel positives from this test and I decided to validate them at FTDNA. After I had tested 3 and all were proven negative I gave up.

But I blame myself for that and still enjoyed looking over the results and found it worthwhile. It just couldn't compare with what was to come.

GoldenHind
08-29-2020, 07:26 PM

In doing a bit of research, I have discovered that Geno 2 may have assigned some samples to U106 based on a false positive result for a marker under U106. U106 itself was included in the Geno 2 test, so I suggest checking your result for that marker.