PDA

View Full Version : Myheritage results

LS14
06-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Hi,this is my firt time posting here

I want to ask a question about Myheritage results.My parents dit the test not long ago and surprisingly my mom got 14.1 percent ashkenazi jewish and 28 percent balkan(the rest is mostly eastern european which was expected bc we'r from hungary).I assumed the results meant that she was 1/8 ashkenazi jewish.However I got curious about it and uploaded her result to GEDMATCH and looked up eurogenes jtest.Interestingly I've seen a full hungarian get 5.5 percent ashkenazi there(on another forum) and her result had 6.47 percent.I read more about jtest here http://bga101.blogspot.com/2012/09/eurogenes-ashkenazim-ancestry-test-files.html and the results are strange because ashkenazi is not in the top 20 Single Populations and none of the mixed mode populations show it either, while for 100 percent askenazi jews it always shows up on both modes.:\My question is how much ashkenazi jewish ancestry does this mean?

vettor
06-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Hi,this is my firt time posting here

I want to ask a question about Myheritage results.My parents dit the test not long ago and surprisingly my mom got 14.1 percent ashkenazi jewish and 28 percent balkan(the rest is mostly eastern european which was expected bc we'r from hungary).I assumed the results meant that she was 1/8 ashkenazi jewish.However I got curious about it and uploaded her result to GEDMATCH and looked up eurogenes jtest.Interestingly I've seen a full hungarian get 5.5 percent ashkenazi there(on another forum) and her result had 6.47 percent.I read more about jtest here http://bga101.blogspot.com/2012/09/eurogenes-ashkenazim-ancestry-test-files.html and the results are strange because ashkenazi is not in the top 20 Single Populations and none of the mixed mode populations show it either, while for 100 percent askenazi jews it always shows up on both modes.:\My question is how much ashkenazi jewish ancestry does this mean?

The creator of eurogenes jtest ( and Eutest ) stated recently not to use it anymore,

I am not sure on how good myheritage admixture is ..............but their people matching is very good .......maybe one of the best , just ignore the "low-confidence" matches

LS14
06-14-2019, 09:24 PM
How much is low confidence though?

passenger
06-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I would go with MyHeritage over J-Test. The highest Ashkenazi percentages I've ever seen on J-Test are about 30% for Jews who get close to 100% Ashkenazi on commercial testing sites. I get about 14% on J-Test and 29% on MyHeritage (on paper, I'm 37.5%).

LS14
06-14-2019, 09:36 PM
If it's 1/8 then why doesn't it show up on top 20 populations and the mixed mode oracle?

passenger
06-14-2019, 09:44 PM
If it's 1/8 then why doesn't it show up on top 20 populations and the mixed mode oracle?

Seriously, J-Test is not particularly accurate and it consistently underestimates Ashkenazi heritage. Also, the top 20 populations in the mixed mode oracle don't necessarily show you different populations that correspond to your actual ancestry, they show you the top 20 populations whose average genetic features most closely correspond to your overall genetic mix according to that particular database. If a person is only 1/8 Ashkenazi, that probably wouldn't feature in the mix, depending on what other components that person has, since the other components could easily pull the average away from a typical Ashkenazi profile. The same is true for any ethnic mixture.

LS14
06-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Which test on gedmatch do you think is best for determining more distant ancestry?

passenger
06-14-2019, 09:51 PM
Which test on gedmatch do you think is best for determining more distant ancestry?

That really depends on what you're looking for and what your background is. What other ethnicities do you have in your background? Just Hungarian?

LS14
06-14-2019, 09:56 PM
I don't even know:( I didn't even know about the balkan and the jewish
Also 14 percent means 1/8 on MH?

msmarjoribanks
06-14-2019, 10:02 PM
MyHeritage results can be wacky, and I think it currently tends to be pretty generous with the Balkan. The best way to know if the Ashkenazi is real is whether your mom gets Jewish matches -- people with an eighth or more actual Ashkenazi will get lots of Jewish matches due to historical endogamy in the Ashkenazi population.

LS14
06-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Thanks.So one of her great grandparents was Ashkenazi Jewish according to the results?

passenger
06-14-2019, 10:12 PM
MyHeritage results can be wacky, and I think it currently tends to be pretty generous with the Balkan. The best way to know if the Ashkenazi is real is whether your mom gets Jewish matches -- people with an eighth or more actual Ashkenazi will get lots of Jewish matches due to historical endogamy in the Ashkenazi population.

True.

As for GEDmatch, Eurogenes K13 is pretty standard. For me in particular, MDLP K23b gets closest to my paper-trail genealogy, but I think that's fairly subjective. Probably none of them will help you determine precisely how much Ashkenazi heritage you have though. It's true that with the commercial testing services you always have to take the results with a grain of salt, and that can be particularly true with some MyHeritage categories, but if they gave your Mom 14.1% Ashkenazi, I think you can be pretty sure that the heritage is there, whether or not it's precisely 1/8.

LS14
06-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Yeah I've read about 23andme being better and MH showing more Ashkenazi Jewish because they have more samples from there
Maybe my parents should have taken take 23andme first...
Also the calculator you mentioned( MDLP K23b) shows her 4 populations approximation as 1/4 greek in all 20 lines but Ashkenazi doesn't come up

passenger
06-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Like I said, GEDmatch might not be particularly useful, but I'm sure there are plenty more knowledgeable people in this forum who could give you better answers about which tools to use. Would you mind sharing your parents' MyHeritage results?

LS14
06-15-2019, 05:21 AM
3096130962 Here you go

passenger
06-15-2019, 08:44 PM
3096130962 Here you go

With the exception of your mother's Ashkenazi percentage, both results look similar to other non-Jewish Hungarian MyHeritage results I've seen. There are ethnicities and combinations of ethnicities that could be mistaken for Ashkenazi, but not usually in such high percentages. Just going by these results I would say it's quite likely that your mother has a mostly non-Jewish Hungarian background, with one Jewish great-grandparent, but theoretically her Jewish ancestry could have come down from different lines (for example, two 50% Ashkenazi great-grandparents). I think the only way you'll know that is if you do some genealogical research, but it could take some digging. As you may know, it was quite common in Hungary for people to erase their Jewish backgrounds because of the Holocaust and anti-semitism both before and after the Holocaust, so it's possible that if nobody in your family knew of this history, somebody changed their name and story along the way.

Baltimore1937
06-24-2019, 10:14 PM
My Heritage DNA connections list is strange compared with Ancestry and FTDNA. Browsing down the international list by countries, I notice ex-pats in Switzerland, Cayman Islands and Hong Kong. I suspect they are clever money manager types. I wish they would give me some secrets or a bit of wealth to this poor distant relation, ha ha.