PDA

View Full Version : Dog DNA Testing

Táltos
06-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Hello Forum Members! Who out there has tested their four legged friend? If so what did you think?

Here are two companies on the market.
Embark (https://embarkvet.com/)
Wisdom Panel (http://wisdompanel.com/)

I have a rescue dog that I've guessed was part husky and part chow mix. He might actually be a Finnish Lapphund. I really won't know until I've done a DNA test on him. :)

Táltos
06-24-2019, 07:34 PM
If anyone has links to academic trees for Y DNA or mtDNA of dogs, or other animals please post new threads for each. Thanks!

BalkanKiwi
06-25-2019, 12:56 AM
We also have a rescue. All his paperwork had on it was Labrador cross but he has the build, behavior and appearance of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (besides his head, which is shaped like a Labrador's head). He runs like a Greyhound and howls whenever he's excited/when I'm taking too long to get ready for his walk. He's a strange dog, and I'm curious to see what his DNA contains. We are hoping to do this in the near future. :)

The other company I've come across is DNA My Dog (https://dnamydog.com/), which from reading reviews, even though cheaper, isn't as accurate as the other two, especially Wisdom.

Táltos
04-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Finally ordered a test today for my dog. He is getting Embark Breed + Health kit. Cost is $199 US dollars. If you use code DNA50 you will get $50 off. For me with my state tax the total came to $157.94. Shipping is free.

From what I have seen with Embark it reminds me of 23andme's set up. Well can't wait!

BalkanKiwi
04-16-2020, 04:48 AM
Finally ordered a test today for my dog. He is getting Embark Breed + Health kit. Cost is $199 US dollars. If you use code DNA50 you will get $50 off. For me with my state tax the total came to $157.94. Shipping is free.

From what I have seen with Embark it reminds me of 23andme's set up. Well can't wait!

We are still hoping to get a kit in the near future. Unfortunately the exchange rate isn't great at the moment. Embark still looks like the gold standard in terms of detail and features.

Erik
04-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Please show us the results when you receive them!

Afshar
04-17-2020, 10:08 PM
What I wonder with these companies is do they use pure races as a reference and how do they know for sur that the reference dog is pure. Probably also a lot of overlap.

Noone
04-23-2020, 08:31 AM
What I wonder with these companies is do they use pure races as a reference and how do they know for sur that the reference dog is pure. Probably also a lot of overlap.

Yeah I also wonder that, testing dogs sounds unusual for me

Piquerobi
04-23-2020, 12:03 PM
An interesting article about it:

As DNA testing has increased in popularity among humans, in order to determine ancestry and give us clues about our health, so have similar tests among mongrel owners keen to know what cocktail of breeds have gone into making up their beloved pup.

DNA testing is particularly popular with those who have adopted a rescue dog from a shelter and were given very little information about its previous life, upbringing and genetic line. Testing your dog’s genetics can help you look for any potential warning signs when it comes to their health as some dog breeds are more susceptible to inheriting certain diseases than others. It can also help to determine what kind of behavioural traits you can expect to see in your pet.

DNA testing kits are now extremely advanced and some claim to be over 90% accurate. Many kits are available to purchase online or from Amazon. Testing involves taking swabs from your dog’s mouth, posting them back to the laboratory and then awaiting results in the post. You then receive a comprehensive breakdown of the breeds that make up your mutt and usually a family tree that spans a few generations to give you some more detailed information. It’s often noted that the breeds listed don’t necessarily line up with how your dog looks. This is due to the fact that physical appearance is controlled by a very small number of genes and the mixture of recessive and dominant variants in the combination of breeds that make up your dog will vary greatly.

Although mixed-breed dogs aren’t usually in as high demand as pedigree breeds, there are some that are unusually sought-after such as Yorkiepoos, Goldendoodles and Sprockers to name just a few.

It’s unlikely that the results of a DNA test will change how you feel about your beloved pooch but if you have any health concerns about your dog then it’s a good way to help you put your mind at ease.
https://www.petairuk.com/news/dna-testing-dogs

JoeyP37
04-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Don't need DNA test, 100% goofy springer spaniel.37271

Táltos
04-24-2020, 04:06 AM

From Embark's website.
After we have recruited enough registered dogs to determine a unique genetic profile for the breed and to reliably detect purebred and mixed breed dogs with that breed, we will add that breed to our breed list. We will re-analyze all the provisional results to ensure they are, in fact, correct and update the genetic profiles accordingly with this new information.
https://help.embarkvet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007614513-I-don-t-see-my-breed-on-your-list-How-will-it-be-reported-

Saetro
04-28-2020, 08:00 PM
It’s unlikely that the results of a DNA test will change how you feel about your beloved pooch but if you have any health concerns about your dog then it’s a good way to help you put your mind at ease.

It's more direct to look for the health conditions themselves, if the genes will provide the information.
If not, then estimating the breed by DNA to estimate the health conditions would be the next best thing.

Just like with humans.

FionnSneachta
05-01-2020, 06:33 PM
My brother did a DNA test with Wisdom on his dog to identify the breed. The mother is a Tibetan Terrier but the father is unknown but possibly some mixed breed as well. The results didn't mention Tibetan Terrier at all but instead was put down as mainly a Bichon Frise and Sheepdog as far as I remember so it wasn't for accurate for his dog.