PDA

View Full Version : U152 Clan Name

Solothurn
12-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Seasonal greetings U152 and subclade cousins :beerchug:

I have been thinking of giving our U152 clan 'chief' an actual name. I thought a name begining with U is the most apt!

Ursa (meaning bear. Derivatives of this word are Ursine or Ursini)

Ursini sounds more like a tribal name: 'The Ursini' :)

Other possibles
Ulysses (Latinized version of Odysseus)
Urien (celtic)

* please see above poll
More names on here http://www.justmommies.com/baby-names/boys/u/1

Thoughts or objections ;)

mafe
12-25-2013, 12:58 PM
UCLIINATUS

Solothurn
12-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Hopefully when BigY results come in, we will be in a position to give names to his SNP descendants :beerchug::beerchug:

UCLIINATUS

Grossvater
12-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I think just plain old "Ursa" sounds good. Or...if we want to stay with the times of the area...how about "Ulrich?" If all of us U-152s were a tribe or clan in the Highlander Scottish sense, who would be our modern ceremonial chief? Are there any historic dynasties that originate in the La Tene/Hallstatt Celtic areas that are known to be U-152?

Solothurn
12-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Much later but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urien :)

I think just plain old "Ursa" sounds good. Or...if we want to stay with the times of the area...how about "Ulrich?" If all of us U-152s were a tribe or clan in the Highlander Scottish sense, who would be our modern ceremonial chief? Are there any historic dynasties that originate in the La Tene/Hallstatt Celtic areas that are known to be U-152?

MitchellSince1893
12-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Doesn't begin with a "U" but Aeneas of Trojan fame was the legendary ancestor of both the Romans and the Kings of Britain.

Aeneas had an extensive family tree... According to the mythology outlined by Virgil in the Aeneid, Romulus and Remus were both descendants of Aeneas through their mother Rhea Silvia, making Aeneas progenitor of the Roman people...The Julian family of Rome, most notably Julius Csar and Augustus, traced their lineage to Ascanius and Aeneas...The legendary kings of Britain trace their family through a grandson of Aeneas, Brutus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeneas

Il Pap
12-25-2013, 07:03 PM
The sperminator ! B)

mafe
12-26-2013, 12:39 PM
UCLIINATUS

BTW...UCLII is U152 in Roman numerals and natus meaning born/son

Solothurn
12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Your subtlety was wasted on me :)

"BTW...UCLII is U152 in Roman numerals and natus meaning born"

alan
12-26-2013, 02:50 PM
uxellos which I believe is early celtic for high and can mean mountain

Claxon
12-26-2013, 03:25 PM
If we take the Britains DNA terminology of s-28, Sperminator would work. :-)
Personally, Ithink that many areas of suspected origin have a mythology of a Dragon Slayer ( St George etc) perhaps that link might work. In other words, a Heroic name dependant on "our" area of origin, based on that mythology. Perhaps Ulrich is very close, although my British ancestors would roll in their graves.

Another idea I like is something based on the "magic" of the La Tene iron workers, and Smiths.
The Smith of the Gods
Wayland. ( Volund)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_the_Smith

Diana
12-31-2013, 03:37 PM
I like Ulric for Wolf!

lamahorse
01-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Hi, r1b1b2a1a2d* according to 23andme. That makes me U152?

Is there any informative idiot proof article about markers and nomenclature here for those who are ignorant? According to the McCarthy project on Family Tree DNA, I'm the only r1b1b2a1a2d McCarthy!

As for a clan name? Perhaps the mighty man who started this amazing mutation should be given a mythology. I hear he wrestled several Eurasian mountain lions into extinction, fought rising tides to a standstill and enjoyed long walks on the beach in his spare time.

Solothurn
01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi and welcome aboard the U152 express :)

So are you part of the FTDNA McCarthy project? I ask as you may be able to test for Z36 which is a 'downstream' SNP marker of U152!

If not on FTDNA and would rather save a few $$ then http://www.yseq.net/ maybe the way to go, when Z36 becomes available that is!

Hi, r1b1b2a1a2d* according to 23andme. That makes me U152?

Is there any informative idiot proof article about markers and nomenclature here for those who are ignorant? According to the McCarthy project on Family Tree DNA, I'm the only r1b1b2a1a2d McCarthy!

As for a clan name? Perhaps the mighty man who started this amazing mutation should be given a mythology. I hear he wrestled several Eurasian mountain lions into extinction, fought rising tides to a standstill and enjoyed long walks on the beach in his spare time.

Solothurn
02-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Merely coincidence, but Ursus of Solothurn was a 3rd-century Roman Christian venerated as a saint ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursus_of_Solothurn

Alpine Hominin
02-21-2014, 06:10 PM
I like this idea. Of what's been mentioned so far Ursini is my favorite.

Diana
02-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Yupp, Ursus, I concur! Ursini is nice too.

Titus Valerius
02-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi,
I suggest Ursus

Solothurn
02-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Ursus it is, for me anyway :)

Claxon
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Ursus it is, for me anyway :)

As we are "Alpine" perhaps we should go with a mountain goat ? Perhaps Julie Andrews.......( " The Hills are alive.....)
A mountain goat might be more fitting, especially if we are thinking of an animal.
But I do like Brians' bear with a rose...... perhaps the rose should be in the bears' mouth "Ursus Espagnol ?

Diana
03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Uri, short and sweet! ;-)

Gray Fox
03-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Uri, short and sweet! ;-)

I believe that's Hebrew ;)

Claxon
03-16-2014, 12:12 PM
I believe that's Hebrew ;)

Well, that would be ok then. I think Tib mentioned that u 152 itself, originated in pre Hebrew Palestine/ Israel/ Levant.

The name should have something to do with a sense of origin, I would think. I have also put forward the Mountain Goat as a symbol, for the Alpine element. At FtDNA, I am 80% European, 20% Levant, but I think many are also at FtDNA, and it may be an aberration....sounds a bit off.

I also wonder about the excitement of finding a u152 at a Black Death cemetery in Holland. So what ? Wouldn't at least 10-20% be u152 ? Its like excavating a London cemetery and announcing that most are R1B. What am I missing /
Rich

mafe
03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I also wonder about the excitement of finding a u152 at a Black Death cemetery in Holland. So what ? Wouldn't at least 10-20% be u152 ? Its like excavating a London cemetery and announcing that most are R1B. What am I missing /
Rich

Hold your horses, it could be a skeleton from a different location.

R.Rocca
03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Well, that would be ok then. I think Tib mentioned that u 152 itself, originated in pre Hebrew Palestine/ Israel/ Levant.

The name should have something to do with a sense of origin, I would think. I have also put forward the Mountain Goat as a symbol, for the Alpine element. At FtDNA, I am 80% European, 20% Levant, but I think many are also at FtDNA, and it may be an aberration....sounds a bit off.

Rich

Likely you are not missing anything, unless of course they sequenced the entire genome and intend on making the raw data available.

Heber
03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I voted for Ulysees as he is the ultimate wandering European Warrior linking his ancestors in Bronze Age Europe L11, neolithic Anatolia M269 and The Balkens L23, Myceae L51 Homers Odessey and the mythical Ithica and Iona via the Pillars of Hercules to the Celtic Isles L21 where he is reincarnated in James Joyce Ulysees.

Diana
07-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Do we have a name yet? How about Unknown, lol.

Solothurn
07-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I opted for Ursa, but not sure whether to adopt this for my U152+ or my new S20550+ :)

Do we have a name yet? How about Unknown, lol.