PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Stevens Photos

rms2
07-06-2019, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I know, who cares. Actually, I care.

Figured I would post some old extended family photos.

Here's one of a fourth cousin 3x removed and his nice looking family. I've got two y-dna matches on that line, so this is a solid relative.

I'm just posting these as they strike my fancy; otherwise there is no system to it.

That one is from Ohio, I think Lafayette, but I'm not 100% sure of the exact town. It was taken around 1901.

rms2
07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Here's another old one, from a Stevens family reunion in Hillsboro, Ohio, in 1904. Unfortunately, I can't label this one with the names of the individuals.

All these pictures contain at least some relatives of mine. I'm not just guessing based on the surname and the location; I know from y-dna and autosomal matches.

Dave-V
07-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Nice pics. What’s your oldest person you still have a picture for?

I have a few as well but most of course didn’t survive the years. My mother-in-law (now 94) is a good example of past generations; she’ll keep six shoeboxes of late 1800s canceled checks from her father’s defunct ranch in Kansas but she wants to throw out all her old photo albums because “nobody will care who those old people were”.

rms2
07-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Most of the photos I have are copies saved on my computer of photos in the possession of others.

Here are the oldest guys whose photos I have.

31497 31498

31499 31502

The one in the lower right is my second great grandfather. He was born in Beaver County, PA, which is right next door to where the other three were born. Beaver County borders Columbiana County, OH, on the east.

MikeWhalen
07-08-2019, 09:00 PM
nice pics, lucky duck...the oldest pics I have are at best, mid/later 1800's...how I would love to get my hands on pics of any of my various lines elders

M

rms2
07-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Most of those photos I wouldn't know were images of my relatives had it not been for y-dna testing.

R.Rocca
07-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Have you ever tried hiring a Pro Genealogist from Ancestry.com to try to get you back to your possible Welsh and/or English ancestor?

rms2
07-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Have you ever tried hiring a Pro Genealogist from Ancestry.com to try to get you back to your possible Welsh and/or English ancestor?

A couple of years back my second cousin Paul and I hired Ancestry's genealogists. They were extremely expensive and left us waiting in their queue for months. By the time they got started, I think they had forgotten much that we had sent and told them and had to start over, spending many hours just to re-learn everything, which cost a lot of our money. In the end they accomplished almost nothing, so we didn't pour good money after bad.

Right now we are working with the professional genealogists at Trace.com, whose prices are more reasonable and who don't have such an outrageous research queue. Thus far they seem friendlier, too. We'll see how that goes.

rms2
07-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Three members of the y-chromosome line of a recently discovered and confirmed 5th cousin 1x removed are in this photo from about 1898 in Glade, Phillips Co., Kansas.

Amos>David>Floyd Wayne

JonikW
07-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Three members of the y-chromosome line of a recently discovered and confirmed 5th cousin 1x removed are in this photo from about 1898 in Glade, Phillips Co., Kansas.

Amos>David>Floyd Wayne

What a beautiful picture. I could imagine David W as a famous gunslinger.

Revmac
07-11-2019, 05:09 AM
I really enjoy all kinds of old photos. Especially if they happen to deal with genealogy. If I have a physical copy of the photo I usually take a magnifying glass and an HD camera and inspect it further; if the quality permits. A picture is really worth a thousand words. I discovered the place where my 3rd great grandfather worked and lived—not to mention about half of my family history—by magnifying an image of an emblem of an old hat he used to wear!

rms2
07-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Here's a photo of Ralph W. Stevens and his wife Una Lee Carroll from about 1933 in Missouri. Ralph is a son of the couple in the photo in the first post in this thread.

Dave-V
07-11-2019, 04:38 PM
I really enjoy all kinds of old photos. Especially if they happen to deal with genealogy. If I have a physical copy of the photo I usually take a magnifying glass and an HD camera and inspect it further; if the quality permits. A picture is really worth a thousand words. I discovered the place where my 3rd great grandfather worked and lived—not to mention about half of my family history—by magnifying an image of an emblem of an old hat he used to wear!

I don't mean to derail the thread with non-Stevens pictures, but I had some fun with colorizing some of my old pictures awhile back which also brought out a LOT more detail (although I didn't learn anything close to what you did!).

As an example this is the earliest male-line ancestor I have a picture of, he was born in 1786 so I'm very grateful to the distant relative who still had this. I'm sure a professional could do a much better job than my amateur Photoshop efforts but it still brings him to life (for me at least) better than the original.

31617 31618

rms2
07-11-2019, 06:56 PM
I don't mean to derail the thread with non-Stevens pictures, but I had some fun with colorizing some of my old pictures awhile back which also brought out a LOT more detail (although I didn't learn anything close to what you did!).

As an example this is the earliest male-line ancestor I have a picture of, he was born in 1786 so I'm very grateful to the distant relative who still had this. I'm sure a professional could do a much better job than my amateur Photoshop efforts but it still brings him to life (for me at least) better than the original.

31617 31618

Awesome!

My youngest daughter is currently away from home for the month of July at a university (she'll be a high school junior in the fall) studying computer animation. One of the things she is learning to master is Photoshop. When she gets home at the end of the month I'll get her to show me how to do that.

rms2
07-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Here's another old one, from a Stevens family reunion in Hillsboro, Ohio, in 1904. Unfortunately, I can't label this one with the names of the individuals.

All these pictures contain at least some relatives of mine. I'm not just guessing based on the surname and the location; I know from y-dna and autosomal matches.

Here's something interesting in that family reunion photo above. If you look at the bearded old man sitting in the chair in the right foreground, you can see that he has a distinct tan line (or sunburn line more likely, since we're talking about my family) on his forehead, pretty obviously where his hat protected the top of his forehead. I'm pretty sure he was a farmer who worked outside a lot.

Given the date of that photo (autumn 1904), I think the old man is one of two of John Stevens' brothers who were still around in 1904: George Stevens (1831-1905) or his brother Humphrey Stevens (1837-1923). I'm guessing he is George and that the bearded old man standing next to him is Humphrey, since George was the older of the two. I'm not sure who he is, however.

Here's a close-up of his face showing the tan line.

MikeWhalen
07-25-2019, 02:23 PM
love the tan line detail bro!

M

Ruderico
07-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Here's something interesting in that family reunion photo above. If you look at the bearded old man sitting in the chair in the right foreground, you can see that he has a distinct tan line (or sunburn line more likely, since we're talking about my family) on his forehead, pretty obviously where his hat protected the top of his forehead. I'm pretty sure he was a farmer who worked outside a lot.

Given the date of that photo (autumn 1904), I think the old man is one of two of John Stevens' brothers who were still around in 1904: George Stevens (1831-1905) or his brother Humphrey Stevens (1837-1923). I'm guessing he is George and that the bearded old man standing next to him is Humphrey, since George was the older of the two. I'm not sure who he is, however.

Here's a close-up of his face showing the tan line.

It's great that you have pictures of such old relatives, that man was born decades before the US Civil War, it's hard to imagine what life was like for him.

The oldest photo I have is that of my paternal grandmother and her folks with her older brother, she was about 7 or 8 years old at the time which puts the photo around mid/late 1920s. I wish I had photos of my grandfather when he was young, but unfortunetly there's none. Being just a common folk in the rural highlands of north-central Portugal had its issues. I know he balded rather young, my father has only partially inherited it (on the other hand my grandmather had dense hair until she passed away at 97) and I even less so, although it didn't totally dodge it

rms2
07-25-2019, 03:10 PM
If I'm right about who those two bearded old men are, they were both Civil War Union Army veterans, 168th Ohio Infantry.

There were Stevenses on the Confederate side, as well, like my own second great grandfather:

Yeah, he was born in Beaver County, PA, but his dad moved the family to NE Louisiana in about 1845, so he grew up there. His younger brother Alfred (born in Ohio) served in the same unit but was killed in the war.

rms2
08-08-2019, 11:29 PM
My y-dna line great grandmother died in 1913, and my y-dna great grandfather remarried. He had one son as a result of this second marriage, whom he named after himself.

Here is a WWII photo of that son, James Holmes Stevens III, and one of James III's wife, Beatrice. They had three daughters.

32287 32288

rms2
04-26-2020, 12:00 AM
These kids weren't Stevenses, they were Atkinsons, but their mom was Mabel Clare Stevens, my 1st cousin twice removed (daughter of my great grandfather's brother). I have a pretty big match at Ancestry with a descendant of John Clinton Atkinson, the little boy on the right.

Here's their mom.

37357 37358

rms2
05-09-2020, 03:54 AM
Here's an old photo of Amos Leroy Stevens (1850-1938), my second cousin 4x removed.

rms2
05-16-2020, 03:10 AM
Here's an old photo of Amos Leroy Stevens (1850-1938), my second cousin 4x removed.

Here's his father, Daniel Stevens.