PDA

View Full Version : Any experiences with Histrionic and/or Borderline Personality Disorders?

Kulin
07-31-2019, 06:31 PM
Recently realized that the symptoms of both these disorders are more common than one may presume. Although, BPD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder) in generally is quite rare, HPD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrionic_personality_disorder) seems to be relatively more common, especially in women. BPD is often diagnosed since the behavioral symptoms are in general "more obvious", while HPD exhibits more socially acceptable/common patterns and usually remains unknown, and is rarely diagnosed by a psychologist. HPD is sometimes considered also to not be a disorder in itself.

Looking back, it seems I have known 1-2 people relevant to my personal life that have exhibited some of these symptoms for HPD, though never met anyone with BPD-like characteristics. I'd be quite interested if anyone here is willing to share their experiences regarding the two personality disorders.

Censored
07-31-2019, 07:06 PM
From what I know, borderline is also more common in women than men. It's hard to know for sure but I think I've known two women and one guy who showed symptoms of BPD and probably other disorders as well. The two women(I won't tell my relation to them) are/were both unstable and set off by tiny things, always interpreting everything as an insult even when it's not, then crying or screaming. They are generally kind of unpredictable in social interactions. They lack the capacity for most logical thinking, never think they are at fault for anything.

The BD guy I knew was on the internet, he was very unhinged and a compulsive liar and sociopath, he would stop at no length to try to troll and harass people and yet was incredibly sensitive to any slight insult towards him. He would ramble on endlessly then log off, created multiple fake accounts, mood changed very fast, and was very rude. One important thing, he would complain about people ignoring or disliking him while committing obviously evil behavior towards others-this is a common symptom from what I've heard of borderlines and some other personality disorders. They think they can do no wrong, world is just out to get them, etc.

firemonkey
07-31-2019, 07:46 PM
I've been under mental health services since the end of 1973. There were numerous hospitalisations between 1975-1983. I met numerous people with bipolar,depression or schizophrenia but none with HPD .

TonyC
08-01-2019, 01:01 AM
As a therapist I've treated numerous client's with Borderline Personality Disorder. A very difficult population and typically they need to be in a group treatment milieu.

Kulin
08-01-2019, 01:16 AM
As a therapist I've treated numerous client's with Borderline Personality Disorder. A very difficult population and typically they need to be in a group treatment milieu.

Can these patients be 'cured' completely, as in brought back fully to a normal state through therapy?

DMXX
08-01-2019, 01:22 AM
BPD is life-long and is seldom ever completely cured. However, most do improve with timely intervention, adequate support and maintenance therapy. A subset of cognitive behavioural therapy is typically used these days. I'm no psychotherapist, but it appears to have a very good remission rate.

firemonkey
08-01-2019, 05:59 AM
DBT is the main therapy used for BPD. Historically mental health professionals had a less than supportive attitude to those with it. An important step in the drive to improve on that was the publication of http://personalitydisorder.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/PD-No-longer-a-diagnosis-of-exclusion.pdf . Progress has been slow though.

TonyC
08-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Can these patients be 'cured' completely, as in brought back fully to a normal state through therapy?

Cured? Not really but guided to manage traits/symptoms that emerge during periods of increased stress. DBT is an excellent treatment protocol for this population as it combines awareness building practices; i.e., mindfulness with daily skills like distress tolerance, dialectics, emotional regulation (less a fan of) to help the person with BPD better manage self harming behaviors, impulsiveness, black/white thinking, projection, etc.. I'm an ACT therapist which isn't always appropriate for primal responding BPD patients. It's almost as though their psychological schema (which is deeply embedded) needs to be reconstituted. Mentalization based therapy is really intriguing as a possible cure but I've had no training in this methodology.

firemonkey
01-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Those with BPD very often have poor coping mechanisms due to negative life experiences. Sadly , either through wilful ignorance or basic lack of intelligence , all too many mental health professionals respond in in an unconstructive and unsupportive manner to such people. That serves to make things worse,not better.

avoidant_T
02-16-2021, 02:32 PM
the closest thing to experience is my friends girlfriend who was was a borderline. lets just say one could not enjoy her company if you were talking about something other than her