PDA

View Full Version : R1b-L21 autosomal DNA

TigerMW
08-04-2019, 03:33 AM
I checked out the Viking DNA study's autosomal DNA and it is true that the dozen or so L21+ people all have high British Isles/North Atlantic-like autosomal DNA. I'm not sure what that means exactly since I think a lot of that was in ancient Lower/Middle Rhine people.

I have some interesting new information on myself, or my father I should say.

​I am R1b-L21 which is a British Isles marker no doubt. My paternal grandfather was pure Irish but that grandmother is a combination of German, Irish and English in just about that order.

My father’s Family Finder ​is ​65​% British Isles, ​20% SE European and 14% Scandinavia​.​

I was in for a shock over a decade ago because I imagined a pride for my Gaelic ways but then learned from an old priest’s book that the Old Irish hated us because we Walshes were Anglo-Norman. It turns out that can be thought of as Welsh-Norman so Celtic pride was still in order. At least I knew we all hated Oliver Cromwell and the Plague.

Well, I need another re-examination. I have a drill down on my British Isles autosomal DNA. I was thinking Leinster and maybe Welsh, maybe some Ulster. Nope.

I'm not devoid of the Irish but it turns out my Isles is mostly East Riding of Yorkshire. Now what I am supposed to do with that? Where's Yorkie (Tim I think) when I need him.

rms2
08-04-2019, 12:14 PM
At Ancestry I have just a gigantic boatload of matches on the one Swiss line in my family that I know about, Stutz (later anglicized to Stutts), with "leaves" and ThruLines showing mrcas along that line at various points, including the immigrant and his son, who was also an immigrant, born in Switzerland. That line comes in on my mom's side.

I haven't done any bean counting, but I'm pretty sure the Stutz line is the number one source of Ancestry matches for me. Every time I get a new one of those shared ancestor leaves nowadays, I just figure before I even look that it's going to be on that line. I'm usually right.

I know from communicating with a male Stutz/Stutts cousin with that surname that he tested with the old Genographic Project and is I-M170 on the y side. He hasn't done any deeper SNP testing, so I don't know if he is I1 or I2.

Don't know if this means that by the luck of the draw I inherited a lot of Stutz autosomal dna or if the Stutz clan is just abnormally large and given to dna testing with Ancestry, or some combination of both.

rms2
08-04-2019, 12:36 PM
At Ancestry I have just a gigantic boatload of matches on the one Swiss line in my family that I know about, Stutz (later anglicized to Stutts), with "leaves" and ThruLines showing mrcas along that line at various points, including the immigrant and his son, who was also an immigrant, born in Switzerland. That line comes in on my mom's side.

I haven't done any bean counting, but I'm pretty sure the Stutz line is the number one source of Ancestry matches for me. Every time I get a new one of those shared ancestor leaves nowadays, I just figure before I even look that it's going to be on that line. I'm usually right.

I know from communicating with a male Stutz/Stutts cousin with that surname that he tested with the old Genographic Project and is I-M170 on the y side. He hasn't done any deeper SNP testing, so I don't know if he is I1 or I2.

Don't know if this means that by the luck of the draw I inherited a lot of Stutz autosomal dna or if the Stutz clan is just abnormally large and given to dna testing with Ancestry, or some combination of both.

On the other hand, in my Ethnicity Estimate from Ancestry I don't get a lot of "Germanic Europe" (just 4%). Instead I get 58% Britain, Wales and NW Europe, and 34% Scottish and Irish.

So, whatever.

Webb
08-04-2019, 03:42 PM
I think recombination of genes is a funny thing. Mike, I wouldn’t over think it. My dad’s brother tested at Ancestry and is roughly 25% Irish, Scottish, Welsh and 75% English. I’m 12% Irish, 55% English, 29% German, and 4% Norway. My mother’s brother just tested a few weeks ago and his German is 48%. This is a little lower than I expected as I’m almost exactly a third and he is just under half. Going strictly by mathematics, he should be closer to 2/3 German. I assume his lower amount is due to that funny recombination.

TigerMW
08-05-2019, 02:23 AM
I think recombination of genes is a funny thing. Mike, I wouldnít over think it.
I wonít over think but I will try to come close to over researching it. My experience has been that the genes donít lie. It may be the interpretations wrong and there is variance in the recombination, but....

There is probably something there to learn. The progenitor of my clan was reported to be a dear relative and nephew to people who would have been well connected (related) to royalty in England. Then you here is my grandmotherís lineage who were true pilgrims.

IanFitzpatrick
08-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Interesting result with the ties back to Yorkshire from Wales via Ireland.

There is a group of FGC5494 Fitzpatricks with very well documented paper trails to the Baron Barnaby Fitzpatrick 1485.

But have a good look at FGC5495 down thru A1487 to the real branching of the surname group at A1506. The A1506 branching appears to start about 900 to 1100 CE.

Under A1506 the names Brennan, Dalton and Fitzpatrick make up the biggest part of the group.

At this time all of the BigY Fitzpatricks seem to all fall under A1488 which seems to date around 1250 CE

A1487 has almost 30SNP's between it and A1506 so it is very old

The closest surnames surrounding A1487 are English, French and Isle of Man and FGC5494 seems like a continental group.

There is a group of Early Americans (1640) that some on Ancestry trace back to Yorkshire.The family name used was Bramham a town in Yorkshire with history back to before the Norman Invasion. The name in the US morphed in most cases to Brannan.

The connection between the US Bramham Group and the Irish Brennan Group appears to be about 1000 to 1200 CE.

They all share a very distinctive first 3 marker set of 13 21 14 which appears to have occurred under A1487.

History says Fitzpatrick and Brennan were very close pre invasion.

Genes say this is not right?

alejandromb92
05-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Anyone positive for PF6093 using MorleyDNA?