PDA

View Full Version : Overestimated Scandinavian

Nino90
08-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Hi all!

I have uploaded my family's raw data to My-heritage and notice that they put on way to much Scandinavian.
I also read numerous results here on this forum where European people from all over the continent get ridiculous amounts of Scandinavian without any ancestros from there. Like British people getting 40%+ or even French and Italians getting 20%.

Anybody else that have noticed the same?

agil
08-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Spaniard here.

Can confirm. 25% Scandinavian in Myheritage.

0.6% in 23andme

Nino90
08-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Spaniard here.

Can confirm. 25% Scandinavian in Myheritage.

0.6% in 23andme

That is crazy! Its like you would have a grandparent from there.

I don't even think Spaniards got 25% ancient Germanic/Gothic admixture.

Trelvern
08-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Hi all!

I have uploaded my family's raw data to My-heritage and notice that they put on way to much Scandinavian.
I also read numerous results here on this forum where European people from all over the continent get ridiculous amounts of Scandinavian without any ancestros from there. Like British people getting 40%+ or even French and Italians getting 20%.

My insane results:

Europe
97,1%

Europe du Nord et de l'Ouest
59,3%
Scandinave (Scandinavian)
29,9%
Breton, Irlandais, …cossais et Gallois (Breton,Irish,Scot,Welsh)
29,4%

Europe du Sud
33,8%
IbŤre (Iberian)
26,7%
Italien (Italian)
7,1%

Europe de l'Est
4,0%
Baltes (Balt)
4,0%

Asie
2,9%

Asie centrale
2,9%
Peuples d'Asie centrale
2,9%

i am a full breton as you know

firemonkey
08-12-2019, 09:56 AM
My heritage gives me the highest amount of Scandinavian of all the major companies doing autosomal dna .

Jessie
08-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Do people with high Scandinavian get matches from those countries? I get 0 Scandinavian on MyHeritage which is accurate for me but get quite high matches with Scandinavian countries. It would be interesting to see if people with high Scandinavian get a lot of matches with Scandinavian countries. I think MyHeritage algorithm is probably the worst of any dna company but they do appear to get a lot of European testers compared to Ancestry and 23&Me.

http://i63.tinypic.com/19xlef.jpg

CamulogŤne Rix
08-12-2019, 10:01 AM
My insane results:

Europe
97,1%

Europe du Nord et de l'Ouest
59,3%
Scandinave (Scandinavian)
29,9%
Breton, Irlandais, …cossais et Gallois (Breton,Irish,Scot,Welsh)
29,4%

Europe du Sud
33,8%
IbŤre (Iberian)
26,7%
Italien (Italian)
7,1%

Europe de l'Est
4,0%
Baltes (Balt)
4,0%

Asie
2,9%

Asie centrale
2,9%
Peuples d'Asie centrale
2,9%

i am a full breton as you know

Not so crazy: compare with what your posted yesterday based on the Levanluhta outlier (pure scandinavian ancestry):

"distance%=2.3704"

Trelvern_scaled

FIN_Levanluhta_IA_o,38.6
Brittanie,25.2
Hispanie,17
Grece,10.4
Italie,8.8

Clarke
08-12-2019, 10:02 AM
My results, 100% European
Irish, Scottish Welsh 79.8%
Scandinavian 5.3%
Northern & Western European 1.2%
Italian 13.7%.
The Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Scandinavian, Northern and Western Europe match my other DNA results and fairly extensive family trees. The Italian on the hand is very questionable with no other DNA results given any percentage, and no family members in the family tree with an Italian background.

firemonkey
08-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Do people with high Scandinavian get matches from those countries? I get 0 Scandinavian on MyHeritage which is accurate for me but get quite high matches with Scandinavian countries. It would be interesting to see if people with high Scandinavian get a lot of matches with Scandinavian countries. I think MyHeritage algorithm is probably the worst of any dna company but they do appear to get a lot of European testers compared to Ancestry and 23&Me.

USA
Great Britain
Australia
Canada
New Zealand
Norway
France
Germany

Netherlands
Sweden
Ireland
Denmark

Nino90
08-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Not so crazy: compare with what your posted yesterday based on the Levanluhta outlier (pure scandinavian ancestry):

FIN_Levanluhta_IA_o Does not this one have very high Siberian?

CamulogŤne Rix
08-12-2019, 10:48 AM
FIN_Levanluhta_IA_o Does not this one have very high Siberian?

Not this sample

Ava
08-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Certain dna tests overestimate Scandinavian percentages.

Clarke
08-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Not a high result of Scandinavian as mentioned, but results as followed. I do note that altough I don't have a high number of any given Scandinavian, I have all Scandinavian countries included. ATTACH=CONFIG]32368[/ATTACH]

Trelvern
08-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Very little32369 but more than in Ireland!

My top 5

1.US 364
2.Fr 190
3.UK 77
4.Aus 32
5.Can 25

Myrmeco
08-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Same issue here. If it were correct 50% of my ancestry should be combination of a smaller Finnish element with a larger Scandinavian one. Yet according to MyHeritage I am 12,6% Finnish and 61,2% (!) Scandinavian, which would mean that 74,1% of my genes have come from my father... MyHeritage is the first place I have tested, and when I initially saw the result I found it so strange that I couldn't take it seriously and was left with a very poor opinion of the company's ability to estimate ethnicity.

I do get a decent amount of matches in Scandinavia, 839 in Sweden, 202 in Norway and 162 in Denmark, but then my Scandinavian ancestry is real enough, there is just a lot less of it than MyHeritage thinks.

msmarjoribanks
08-12-2019, 01:55 PM
MyHeritage gives weird results in a lot of ways for my family, but the Scandinavian isn't too bad, and the biggest issue is the test missing it, not overestimating it.

My dad -- no known Scandinavian, no Scandinavian at MH
My mom -- 25% Swedish on paper, 26.3% Scandinavian (also 3% Finnish) (maybe a bit high, but they miss most of her German and put all her English in Irish, etc., so the Scandinavian looks good)

Me -- 7.5% Scandinavian, 1.5% Finnish (if anything, low, I get 8% at Ancestry and 11 or 11.5% at 23andMe and LivingDNA)
My sister -- no Scandinavian, 1.7% Finnish -- biggest miss. Oddly at Ancestry she gets 7% Swedish and 20% Norwegian (we have no known Norwegian ancestry, the Ancestry Norwegian should be in the English category based on paper results and a comparison with my results)

boilermeschew827
08-12-2019, 03:29 PM
MyHeritage gives weird results in a lot of ways for my family, but the Scandinavian isn't too bad, and the biggest issue is the test missing it, not overestimating it.

My dad -- no known Scandinavian, no Scandinavian at MH
My mom -- 25% Swedish on paper, 26.3% Scandinavian (also 3% Finnish) (maybe a bit high, but they miss most of her German and put all her English in Irish, etc., so the Scandinavian looks good)

Me -- 7.5% Scandinavian, 1.5% Finnish (if anything, low, I get 8% at Ancestry and 11 or 11.5% at 23andMe and LivingDNA)
My sister -- no Scandinavian, 1.7% Finnish -- biggest miss. Oddly at Ancestry she gets 7% Swedish and 20% Norwegian (we have no known Norwegian ancestry, the Ancestry Norwegian should be in the English category based on paper results and a comparison with my results)

I agree, my Scandinavian is missing here too (0%). I show 18.5% Irish, Scottish and Welsh instead. My French grandmother only scores 3% Irish, Scottish and Welsh which means most or all of my Irish is from my dadís German or Scandinavian or both.

Otherwise I get 6-24% Scandinavian depending on the test. 24% is too high, but Iíd bet some north German is being misread.

Really if it wasnít for that mix-up, MH wouldnít be too far off in my case.

passenger
08-12-2019, 03:41 PM
I get 8.8% Scandinavian on MH, which seems about right - maybe a bit high if just corresponding to my Danish ancestry, but nothing strange. However, my father oddly enough gets no Scandinavian on MH, although we share the same Danish matches (and Swedish and Norwegian). On MH he gets about half England and half North and West European, which is about right, if his Danish is subsumed into the latter. I get 32.1% North and West European, 13% Irish/Scottish/Welsh and 0% English. Definitely something a little weird going on with their NW European categories.

Solothurn
08-12-2019, 05:05 PM
51.1% for me, I am English with no known Scandinavian!
That was from my 23 upload.
47.3% from Ancestry upload.
41.7% from LivingDNA upload.

Hi all!

evon
08-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Norwegians are likely overrepresenterted on myheritage as it is very popular here, I have many close relatives on myheritage.

Myheritage also gives non Britons way too high British %, especially Norwegians, Germans, Dutch, Danes etc, even Austrians and Hungarians tend to get quite a bit of British. The good news is that they will update the % this year, so everything will likely change soon.

Trelvern
08-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Norwegians are likely overrepresenterted on myheritage as it is very popular here, I have many close relatives on myheritage.

Myheritage also gives non Britons way too high British %, especially Norwegians, Germans, Dutch, Danes etc, even Austrians and Hungarians tend to get quite a bit of British. The good news is that they will update the % this year, so everything will likely change soon.

Since I had my results in July 2018, I noticed a slight update (Breton was not mentioned in my first report)
If another update arrive this year it's really good news.

msmarjoribanks
08-12-2019, 08:21 PM

My mom, who is 25% Swedish and shows a bit more Scandinavian than that, gets Sweden as her 3rd most common match country (after US, UK) with 418 matches. At least some of those are real. She has 137 Norwegian matches and 61 Danish matches.

My dad, who gets 0% Scandinavian (correctly, I think), gets 68 Swedish matches (9th country in terms of total matches with him), and 50 from Norway, 38 from Denmark.

I get 162 from Sweden (4th), 47 from Norway, 44 from Denmark.

My sister, who gets 0% Scandinavian at MH, gets 190 matches from Sweden, 95 matches from Norway, and 34 from Denmark.

I've looked at my best Norwegian and Danish matches, and they don't look real. Maybe some of my mom's best Norwegian ones are, due to people moving between Sweden and Norway, but I think it's mostly those areas of the chromosome that tend to have lots of matches.

passenger
08-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Incidentally, I just got a new match from Sweden, with an apparently fully Swedish background, that I allegedly share 47.3 cM with (mostly on one segment), but who doesn't match my father (the likelihood of him matching my mother seems slim to none). How is that possible?

NixYO
08-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Am I the only one who gets pretty low Scandinavian? :\

Europe 99.0%

North and West Europe 99.0%

Scandinavian 48.8%

English 26.3%

Finnish 23.9%

America 1.0%

Central and South America 1.0%

Mesoamerican and Andean 1.0%

FionnSneachta
08-12-2019, 11:07 PM

I get no Scandinavian. I just get Irish, Welsh and Scottish.

evon
08-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Incidentally, I just got a new match from Sweden, with an apparently fully Swedish background, that I allegedly share 47.3 cM with (mostly on one segment), but who doesn't match my father (the likelihood of him matching my mother seems slim to none). How is that possible?

My brother has a similar situation with a French-Italian Jewish match at 40+ cM. Seems to be a massive pile-up match, as the rest of us only match the person at around 10cM.

evon
08-13-2019, 08:02 AM

Europe 99.0%

North and West Europe 99.0%

Scandinavian 48.8%

English 26.3%

Finnish 23.9%

America 1.0%

Central and South America 1.0%

Mesoamerican and Andean 1.0%

No, we also get low Scandinavian.

NixYO
08-13-2019, 08:53 AM
No, we also get low Scandinavian.
What do your results look like?

evon
08-13-2019, 09:05 AM
What do your results look like?

My profiles have a range between 30-80% Scandinavian at Myheritage.

Nino90
08-13-2019, 10:00 AM
My profiles have a range between 30-80% Scandinavian at Myheritage.

And you are of mostly Norwegian background?
my father score 58,0% Scandinavian. That is insane. He is 25% North Scandinavian.

evon
08-13-2019, 10:09 AM
And you are of mostly Norwegian background?
my father score 58,0% Scandinavian. That is insane. He is 25% North Scandinavian.

We are all Norwegians, but we do have ancesty from other ethnic groups. The closest in time is Romani and Traveller ancesty. Although the low Scandinavian is mostly replaced by English etc..

Nino90
08-13-2019, 10:25 AM
We are all Norwegians, but we do have ancesty from other ethnic groups. The closest in time is Romani and Traveller ancesty. Although the low Scandinavian is mostly replaced by English etc..

I see. I read in some studies that Norwegians and specially West Norwegians have more "British" / NW European admixture due to migration from both Britain to Norway and from Norway to Britain. Similar with Gothenburg in SW Sweden who is a port city who had much trade with England and Scotland.

evon
08-13-2019, 10:45 AM
I see. I read in some studies that Norwegians and specially West Norwegians have more "British" / NW European admixture due to migration from both Britain to Norway and from Norway to Britain. Similar with Gothenburg in SW Sweden who is a port city who had much trade with England and Scotland.

It is likely that we have some British DNA, but the numbers are way off. It is more likely that Myheritage is mislabelling our German, Danish and Norwegian ancesty as British.

Robert1
08-13-2019, 04:07 PM
At MyHeritage I get

Irish, Scottish & Welsh - 59.9%
Scandinavian - 40.1%

The Irish, Scottish & Welsh is about right but the Scandinavian is mislabeled as it's actually England, some more Wales and maybe 5% German&Dutch.

AncestryDNA assigns 58% Ireland & Scotland and 42% England, Wales & NW Europe
My paper trail is 63% Ireland, Scotland & Wales and 37% England & NW Europe

Family Tree MyOrigins makes a similar mislabeling mistake for me

Britain & Ireland - 57%
German & Dutch - 29%
Scandinavian - 14%

which would be better labeled as

Irish, Scottish & Welsh - 57%
Welsh & West/North England - 29%
East England, Dutch&German - 14%

SecretExplorer
08-16-2019, 08:14 AM
I also got a huge and unreal Scandinavian result, near 40%.

Also get 7.5% Jewish, although I don't have any close Jewish sign in any GEDmatch or other calculators' oracle. However I usually got Swedish, or sometime Danish, Norwegian in my Oracle "Top20".

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?17063-Confusing-large-Scandinavian-and-a-little-Ashkenazi-in-my-MyHeritage-report

passenger
08-16-2019, 01:22 PM
I also got a huge and unreal Scandinavian result, near 40%.

Also get 7.5% Jewish, although I don't have any close Jewish sign in any GEDmatch or other calculators' oracle. However I usually got Swedish, or sometime Danish, Norwegian in my Oracle "Top20".

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?17063-Confusing-large-Scandinavian-and-a-little-Ashkenazi-in-my-MyHeritage-report

I wouldn't trust GEDmatch to tell you much about whether or not you have Jewish ancestry. Have you done any other commercial tests?

SecretExplorer
08-23-2019, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't trust GEDmatch to tell you much about whether or not you have Jewish ancestry. Have you done any other commercial tests?

For now, i'm just planning to make another one with 23&Me.

I made other free estimates with my raw data. These did not show Ashkenazi origin. (DNA.land, WeGene, Admixture Studio calculations, yourDNAportal, MyTrueAncestry [ancient], etc)

My ~40% Scandinavian is also less in these.

Verity
08-23-2019, 09:59 PM
My Heritage vastly overestimated my Scandinavian too, at 31%. I barely get 2% on other sites.

SecretExplorer
08-26-2019, 08:27 AM
My Heritage vastly overestimated my Scandinavian too, at 31%. I barely get 2% on other sites.

But you're British. It is more common in that area, although it can be really overestimated.

I'm shocked as a Hungarian with my ~40% Scandinavian. If it's true, I'm a Danube Viking. :biggrin1:

evon
08-26-2019, 08:49 AM
But you're British. It is more common in that area, although it can be really overestimated.

I'm shocked as a Hungarian with my ~40% Scandinavian. If it's true, I'm a Danube Viking. :biggrin1:
https://www.germansfromrussiasettlementlocations.org/p/maps.html?m=1 probably German ancesty, lots of German settlements in Hungary. As you can see, they literally founded settlements all over the wider Eastern European region, including the Caucasus and central Asia.

Nino90
08-26-2019, 09:41 AM
https://www.germansfromrussiasettlementlocations.org/p/maps.html?m=1 probably German ancesty, lots of German settlements in Hungary. As you can see, they literally founded settlements all over the wider Eastern European region, including the Caucasus and central Asia.

But would that not show up as German/French or some kind of central European admix?

SecretExplorer
08-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Sure the Germanic ifluence was very big since the Iron Age and since the Migration Period. On Ancient calculators like K36, or MyTrueAncestry I have large numbers of Visigothic, Germanic matches and also with some Scandinavian. I'm 100% sure I had German ancestry. German settlers also appeared very early in Hungarian Kingdom.

MyHeritage gave me a very little number of West European and gave a large Scandinavian. Some calculators gave me much less Scandinavian and much more West European (Or "Germanic Europe"). So it is easy to confuse because Scandinavian is also Germanic.

evon
08-26-2019, 10:22 AM
But would that not show up as German/French or some kind of central European admix?

Not necessarily, many Germans (as well as some Austrians, highest I've seen in Austrians is 40% if I remember correctly) come out as +50% Scandinavian on myheritage, but it should not be mistaken for actual Scandinavian ancesty in Germans.

Nino90
08-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Not necessarily, many Germans come out as +50% Scandinavian on myheritage, but it should not be mistaken for actual Scandinavian ancesty in Germans.

Yes but Myheritage is wrong with Scandinavian. It's quite a big difference between continental Germanic and Scandinavian.

evon
08-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Sure the Germanic ifluence was very big since the Iron Age and since the Migration Period. On Ancient calculators like K36, or MyTrueAncestry I have large numbers of Visigothic, Germanic matches and also with some Scandinavian. I'm 100% sure I had German ancestry. German settlers also appeared very early in Hungarian Kingdom.

MyHeritage gave me a very little number of West European and gave a large Scandinavian. Some calculators gave me much less Scandinavian and much more West European (Or "Germanic Europe"). So it is easy to confuse because Scandinavian is also Germanic.

It is likely more recent than that, hence why I posted this link. We have a fair number of matches with people who are decentants from these German settlements in Russia, Ukraine and even central Asia.

evon
08-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Yes but Myheritage is wrong with Scandinavian. It's quite a big difference between continental Germanic and Scandinavian.

In terms of DNA all northern Europeans look almost the same (some exceptions), so these "components" are very similar to each other and hence why DNA companies have been struggling with this problem since the beginning.

Nino90
08-26-2019, 12:31 PM
In terms of DNA all northern Europeans look almost the same (some exceptions), so these "components" are very similar to each other and hence why DNA companies have been struggling with this problem since the beginning.

I agree that North German, Danes and Dutch are all similar to South Swedish and Norwegians. But Germans have much more farmer ancestry than Swedes for example .

evon
08-26-2019, 01:00 PM
I agree that North German, Danes and Dutch are all similar to South Swedish and Norwegians. But Germans have much more farmer ancestry than Swedes for example .

There are variations, but in general they are all very similar, from Irish to swedes and back, looking at a PCA in global perspective they are all the same. Even on a European scale they show very little genetic variation.

Finn
08-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Yep you could say so....my results:

"Noord- en West-Europa
100,0%
Engels
55,4%
Scandinavisch
31,6%
Noord- en West-Europees
13,0%"

Finn
08-26-2019, 06:11 PM
FTDNA is even more in Scandinavian:

European 99%
British Isles 49%
Scandinavia 44%
East Europe 6%
Undetermined Region 1%

msmarjoribanks
08-28-2019, 04:22 AM

My known ancestry is all NW European, and my Ancestry makes me all NW Europe, while my 23andMe says 96%, with 2.6% Southern Europe, 1.1% unknown Europe, and 0.2% SSA.

My Heritage is quite different:

On paper, my mother is about 25% Swedish, 25% German (mainly colonial US Palatine, and in many cases hard to tell apart from English), about 25% Northern/Protestant Irish settling in the US in the 1830s or before, and about 25% English (colonial). Possibly some Scottish within the Irish or English categories, of course, and possibly some English in what I've designated as German. But for the Swedish (1889) and known Irish (1830s), the rest is colonial and hard to tell. although some is unquestionably German.

On MyHeritage, my mom is:

50.3% Irish/Scottish [too high]
26.3% Scandinavian [reasonable]
7.1% North and West Europe [too low]
3.0% Finnish [who knows]

5.9% Greek and South Italian [weird and know no reason for it]
1.0% Iberian [eh, small enough not to matter]

3.4% Balkan [again weird and know no reason for it]

1.3% Ashkenazi [who knows but no matches suggesting Ashkenazi and I get nothing at Ancestry or 23andMe]

1.7% West Asian [who knows]

Huge undercount of German and English.

On paper my dad is about 65% English [could include Scottish and Welsh], 25% Welsh, and 10% Dutch, German, Swiss, and French.
____
My dad is:

58.6% English [reasonable]
26.3% Irish/Scottish/Welsh [reasonable]

8.9% Iberian [inexplicable]

4.5% Balkan [inexplicable]

2.7% Ashkenazi [unlikely given matches]

0.8% Native American [who knows but I doubt it]

55.2% English [about right, but requires my mom to have at least about 25% as assumed]

16.8% Irish, Scottish, Welsh [bit low, especially given what they gave my parents]

11.8% North and West European [low but not crazy]

7.5% Scandinavian [low]

1.5% Finnish [who knows, possible]

1.9% Baltic [must be from Swedish]

1.3% Iberian [who knows]

3.2% West Asian [highest in my family, seems unlikely]

1.1% Central Asian [weird my parents don't get this]

So if nothing else our results are inconsistent.

SecretExplorer
09-02-2019, 09:53 AM
These are very strange results msmarjoribanks... well illustrates to me how inaccurate the estimation of the system is. :(

rober_tce
09-02-2019, 05:06 PM
msmarjoribannks, I recommend you searching matches in My Heritage... but overall in GEDmatch, and triangulate all of them, that will give you more information about ethnic estimation and make your origins a little clearer.

It's true that scandinavian and center european estimation is a little confusing in My Heritage, according to what you are commenting on this thread.

msmarjoribanks
09-03-2019, 12:04 AM
msmarjoribannks, I recommend you searching matches in My Heritage... but overall in GEDmatch, and triangulate all of them, that will give you more information about ethnic estimation and make your origins a little clearer.

It's true that scandinavian and center european estimation is a little confusing in My Heritage, according to what you are commenting on this thread.

A lot of my foreign matches seem like false matches given that they don't match either parent.

I do get:

Over 4000 US -- expected.

534 Great Britain -- consistent with my known ancestry.

184 Australia -- same

170 Sweden -- some of these are reasonably close and that makes sense.

120 Canada -- consistent with the other results and known ancestry. I am aware of some cousins who went to Canada.

73 Finland -- who knows, but this is where even my closest relatives start to look false.

68 NZ -- entirely possible

66 Ireland -- possible.

49 Norway -- even the closest matches of these look false although it's possible.

For my mom, who is 25% Sweden (one grandmother):

Over 5300 US matches

740 Great Britain matches

430 Sweden matches

226 Australia matches

171 Canada matches

138 Norway matches

114 NZ matches

77 Germany matches

67 Ireland matches

Dad:

Over 5900 US matches

786 Great Britain matches

257 Australia matches

196 Canada matches

129 Finland matches -- weird and as noted my own Finland matches seem false

113 German matches (my mom has more actual German ancestry, so this is interesting)

100 NZ matches

94 Netherland matches (he does have a tiny percentage of Dutch ancestry and I have matches on that line, but I suspect this is a lot of false matches)

68 Sweden matches (no know ancestry)

Anyway, the matches are more consistent with my paper ancestry and what I get elsewhere than the weird MH ancestry results.

Shadogowah
09-05-2019, 01:31 PM
A lot of my foreign matches seem like false matches given that they don't match either parent.

That is my experience too. The thresholds seem to be very low.

Every now and again I get some authentic "exotic" ones for a Spaniard (Swedes, Dutch) that also match my father but the matched segments tend to be identified as Greek or Eastern Mediterranean what makes me suspect of the possible Jewish ancestry of his paternal grandmother.

But as I already mentioned in another thread, most of the times I have totally bogus matches that do not match my parents at all. Actually my closest match happens to be one of these false positives with a 3 shared segments being the longest one 30,6‎ cM.

firemonkey
09-05-2019, 01:42 PM
I wish there was a way to filter by level of confidence .

msmarjoribanks
09-05-2019, 02:14 PM
I wish there was a way to filter by level of confidence .

You can try sorting by longest segment.

JFWinstone
09-05-2019, 02:23 PM
They definitely have my Scandinavian overestimated I only have uploads with them

23andme V4 upload - 20.7% (0.6% on 23andme)
Ancestry upload - 19% (2% on Ancestry)
FTDNA upload - 20.6% (38% on FTDNA :crazy: )

Matches wise I only have 73 Swedish and 69 Norwegian matches, how many are false positives I'm not sure.

firemonkey
09-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Norway 9/146 blank=good? matches/medium confidence matches .
Sweden 7/81
Denmark 5/50

Molfish
09-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Mine (3% Sweden on the 2019 Ancestry update, 2.4% Scandinavian on LDNA)

https://i.postimg.cc/8CCJYspb/Copy.jpg

My mother's (47.5% Scandinavian with the Ancestry upload, 9% Norway on the 2019 Ancestry update, 17.4% 'Germanic' on LDNA upload)

https://i.postimg.cc/15GCGQrS/COPY2.jpg

No known recent Scandinavian or Continental ancestry at all and very unlikely to be any. Obviously it's not without meaning though.

boilermeschew827
09-05-2019, 07:34 PM

I’ve been curious about the validity of my MH matches as well. I’ve been trying verify my closest Danish match for some time. The largest segment is 31.4 cMs at 14,336 SNPs; it’s a 0.5%, estimated 3rd - 5th cousin. I can’t seem to verify our MRCa. I think it’s a valid match? That’s a lot of shared DNA to be IBS I would think, but I could be wrong.

Aside from the fact that I can’t seem to find a MRCA, a new match popped up that appears to be himself 40 years younger. They are an exact match (99.9%, 7,083.9 cMs) with different ages and different names. Very strange.

evon
09-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Iíve been curious about the validity of my MH matches as well. Iíve been trying verify my closest Danish match for some time. The largest segment is 31.4 cMs at 14,336 SNPs; itís a 0.5%, estimated 3rd - 5th cousin. I canít seem to verify our MRCa. I think itís a valid match? Thatís a lot of shared DNA to be IBS I would think, but I could be wrong.

Aside from the fact that I canít seem to find a MRCA, a new match popped up that appears to be himself 40 years younger. They are an exact match (99.9%, 7,083.9 cMs) with different ages and different names. Very strange.

We have a French-Italian Jewish match at 40+ cM that appears to be partially located on a pile-up segment, which might indicate that the pile-up segment is actually two segments that myheritage has merged into one due to their close proximity to each other.

boilermeschew827
09-06-2019, 01:43 PM
I've wondered if this was a pile up region, but so far have been unsure. I share the similar region with a known 2nd cousin on 23andMe - paternal chromosome 7, genomic position 28650263-42399864, 19.04 cMs at 3357 SNPs.

The matches above I referred to above overlap from 9815039-30748323 - actually after running the Cluster function from MH on the default limits, there are 5 total matches that overlap this region including an uncle/niece pair with what seems to be plausible inheritance (uncle matches me at 29.3 cMs, niece matches me at 15.9 cMs).

Most of my Danish and Swedish inheritance lie on paternal chromosomes 5 and 9 from what I can tell, I'm hoping to confirm 7. I'm thinking I need closer matches to do this.

Takawogi
09-23-2019, 03:20 PM
I am essentially 100% East and Southeast Asian, but even I'm getting Scandinavian (1.3%) in my transfer kit from 23andme. I notice that most of the Scandinavian matches match only in a specific segment of my chromosome 16 in genomic positions 14578161 - 20090645 (8.3 cM). Does anybody know whether this is indeed a valid portion of my ancestry and what this kind of pile-up can mean?

mildlycurly
09-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Funnily enough, I'm getting no Scandinavian. On most sites I generally score ~1%.

rober_tce
09-23-2019, 09:32 PM
I am essentially 100% East and Southeast Asian, but even I'm getting Scandinavian (1.3%) in my transfer kit from 23andme. I notice that most of the Scandinavian matches match only in a specific segment of my chromosome 16 in genomic positions 14578161 - 20090645 (8.3 cM). Does anybody know whether this is indeed a valid portion of my ancestry and what this kind of pile-up can mean?

This is a good signal, is possible that your matches are real. How many SNPs normally share with your scandinavian matches? Do you have knowed scandinavian ancestor in your genealogical tree?

Takawogi
09-25-2019, 02:22 PM
This is a good signal, is possible that your matches are real. How many SNPs normally share with your scandinavian matches? Do you have knowed scandinavian ancestor in your genealogical tree?

I share an average of 2957 SNP with the matches that have any Scandinavian ancestry, but some of these also have Asian ancestry. For the ones without any Asian ancestry, ie just European ancestry, the average is 2278 SNP. However, ~80% of my matches all have an identical number of SNP: 2304, which is mostly why I'm somewhat suspicious of these results, but I'm not well versed in genetics to determine whether this might in fact suggest the opposite. To the best of my knowledge, I do not have any Scandinavian or even any European ancestors in my family tree. The main possibility is with my maternal grandfather, since he had lighter hair and eyes than most Chinese, but genealogy doesn't suggest any leads. No European ancestry shows up in any of the other websites I tested with.

msmarjoribanks
09-25-2019, 06:45 PM
I’ve been curious about the validity of my MH matches as well. I’ve been trying verify my closest Danish match for some time. The largest segment is 31.4 cMs at 14,336 SNPs; it’s a 0.5%, estimated 3rd - 5th cousin. I can’t seem to verify our MRCa. I think it’s a valid match? That’s a lot of shared DNA to be IBS I would think, but I could be wrong.

Aside from the fact that I can’t seem to find a MRCA, a new match popped up that appears to be himself 40 years younger. They are an exact match (99.9%, 7,083.9 cMs) with different ages and different names. Very strange.

I have some 30-40 cM matches (one segment) that are quite far back.

My dad and sister share about 40 cM on one chromosome (and also match on another) with a match who shares gggg-grandparents with my dad.

They also share around 25-30 cM on the same chromosome/location with another match who seems to be farther back, and has relatives on their line they think the match is from who go back to near Bocking, Essex, where the gggg grandparents were from. So it looks like a likely real match, just quite far back. Yours could be similar.

I've got some significant Swedish matches who I think are much closer than these, but because of the patronymic system I can't yet figure out the connection.

rober_tce
09-25-2019, 10:16 PM
I share an average of 2957 SNP with the matches that have any Scandinavian ancestry, but some of these also have Asian ancestry. For the ones without any Asian ancestry, ie just European ancestry, the average is 2278 SNP. However, ~80% of my matches all have an identical number of SNP: 2304, which is mostly why I'm somewhat suspicious of these results, but I'm not well versed in genetics to determine whether this might in fact suggest the opposite. To the best of my knowledge, I do not have any Scandinavian or even any European ancestors in my family tree. The main possibility is with my maternal grandfather, since he had lighter hair and eyes than most Chinese, but genealogy doesn't suggest any leads. No European ancestry shows up in any of the other websites I tested with.

If you have matches with majority european SNPs in shared segments, and these have circa 2000 SNPs, is a good indicator of real ancestry. I recommend you triangulate your best scandinavian matches, this would be another solid proof for verifying your matches. If triangulation of your best scandinavian matches is succesful, your matches probably are real. Of course, you should also researching your familiar history and possibles entry of europeans in China. Colonial period of XIX century maybe? I think this is a good start point.

okarinaofsteiner
09-26-2019, 09:44 PM

I am also 100% East Asian, and I got 1.7% European (0.9% Finnish and 0.8% English) when I uploaded my 23andMe raw data to MyHeritage. I got 0.1% European in 23andMe, but that's probably noise.

Takawogi
09-27-2019, 05:58 PM
If you have matches with majority european SNPs in shared segments, and these have circa 2000 SNPs, is a good indicator of real ancestry. I recommend you triangulate your best scandinavian matches, this would be another solid proof for verifying your matches. If triangulation of your best scandinavian matches is succesful, your matches probably are real. Of course, you should also researching your familiar history and possibles entry of europeans in China. Colonial period of XIX century maybe? I think this is a good start point.

I can't rule out the possibility, as I have not yet been able to access my Chinese genealogical records (jiapu/zupu), but this wouldn't seem to match any family history as far as I know. A plurality but not majority of the Scandinavian matches are Swedish, which would make the most sense out of all the Nordic countries since they traded in China much earlier. A 1.3% match would seem to place such an ancestor at around 1800 or earlier, which is not impossible but seems quite unlikely.

I am also 100% East Asian, and I got 1.7% European (0.9% Finnish and 0.8% English) when I uploaded my 23andMe raw data to MyHeritage. I got 0.1% European in 23andMe, but that's probably noise.

This is my quandary exactly. 23andme and FTDNA return me as 100% East Asian, whereas WeGene lists 3% Indian, but their category includes Northeast India as well, so with ancestry in Sichuan, this would not seem to be too unusual. GEDMatch somewhat corroborates this with the distances generated for Naga and Indian East groups showing up before those for Northeast Asia. But I haven't gotten any results that said anything European besides MyHeritage, so you can understand why I'm quite doubtful.

rober_tce
10-01-2019, 12:14 AM
I can't rule out the possibility, as I have not yet been able to access my Chinese genealogical records (jiapu/zupu), but this wouldn't seem to match any family history as far as I know. A plurality but not majority of the Scandinavian matches are Swedish, which would make the most sense out of all the Nordic countries since they traded in China much earlier. A 1.3% match would seem to place such an ancestor at around 1800 or earlier, which is not impossible but seems quite unlikely.

I recommend you finding scandinavian matches in GEDmatch and trying triangulate them. My Heritage tools are well, but GEDmatch have better tools, and you have many posibilities for analysis.

firemonkey
10-01-2019, 02:10 AM
deleted

Takawogi
10-02-2019, 09:08 PM
I recommend you finding scandinavian matches in GEDmatch and trying triangulate them. My Heritage tools are well, but GEDmatch have better tools, and you have many posibilities for analysis.
How would it be possible to identify which matches in GEDmatch are Scandinavian besides guessing with names and trying every single match?

rober_tce
10-02-2019, 09:44 PM
How would it be possible to identify which matches in GEDmatch are Scandinavian besides guessing with names and trying every single match?

The only way is selecting individual kit matches and execute for example eurogenes K13 or K15(this calculator is good for europeans). In Eurogenes K13 spredsheet, search pop danish, swedish or norwegian, then compare their values with kit values that you are selected for analysis. Other easier forma is executing Oracle or Oracle 4, the first on the population list mark the most probably population of the match.

The process require much time but it worths.

firemonkey
10-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Triangulated my Scandinavian matches ,those of medium confidence or above, with the Scandinavian matches we share . Then realised it was a waste of time . Only being able to use 7 is rather pointless if your Scandinavian matches share hundreds of matches with you, that are Scandinavian and non Scandinavian .

The interesting thing is they were on chr 7, which 23andMe gives as partly Scandinavian.

Shadogowah
10-09-2019, 07:03 AM
There is a tool under DNA tools that automatically groups your matches in clusters.

It is a statistical tool that won't work if there is too much endogamy in your ethnic group (I witness how for an Ashkenazi gentleman the graph just showed a single block for all his matches) and can also show you "fake" clusters made of bogus matches.

But I consider it a fantastic tool when you try to identify the family branch your matches could be related to.

If you happen to have all your scandinavian matches in only a few clusters, you can certainly assume they are related via the very same ancestor.

https://www.yourdnaguide.com/ydgblog/2019/8/22/myheritage-autoclusters-how-they-work

firemonkey
10-09-2019, 10:17 AM
I find this subject interesting, but maybe because of my Asperger's a little confusing/frustrating.
I have Scandinavian matches on chr 7(mother) and chr 9(father). The question is which are IBD and which IBS?

FTDNA In common

Hal 37(3)
Heg 337(227)
Bod 39(3)
Joh 157(94)
Hus 356(232)
Sam 414(236)
Ive 378(244)
lan 51(2)
Ols 32(29)
Han 294(192)
Bru 54(3)
Sae 36(1)
Wij 39(3)
Pet 250(166)
Mar 30 (1)
Tan 32 (2)
Ryd 33(4)
Sme 297(160) In brackets = matches to my father.

I'm presuming the low in common to me and low matches to my father = IBD and are on my mother's side. All well and fine. I can form a matrix of 7 of such people.

However with My heritage. Shared = Hal 152,Bod 120,Wij 118,Mar 91,Tan 175. That makes it hard for me to tell whether they are IBD or IBS .

I can form a triangulated segment of 10.5 cMs with Hal,Bod,Wij and Tan .

ExoticButter
10-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Yes, Scandinavian ancestry is overestimated but it just means British