PDA

View Full Version : Maternal Y-DNA and Paternal mtDNA

aaronbee2010
08-12-2019, 11:47 PM
The title is somewhat self-explanatory.

I think it would be a good idea to have optional sections for Maternal Y-DNA and Paternal mtDNA for ones AG profile. I've seen only a few others on AG go this far with testing, so it may make sense to have these as optional sections, that are hidden when unfilled (if that's possible?).

Looking forward to anyone's thoughts.

DMXX
08-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Confirming that this has been implemented just now, with maternal and paternal uniparentals indicated through either an (M) or a (P), respectively.

We've also listed the uniparentals in alphabetical order (mtDNA M, mtDNA P, Y-DNA M, Y-DNA P). For those of us who've only tested ourselves (and are male), the only difference you'll currently note in your profile is the mtDNA and Y-DNA fields being flipped around.

Missing fields are automatically hidden, but that's the default display order.

Thanks for the suggestion, aaron.

BMG
08-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Confirming that this has been implemented just now, with maternal and paternal uniparentals indicated through either an (M) or a (P), respectively.

We've also listed the uniparentals in alphabetical order (mtDNA M, mtDNA P, Y-DNA M, Y-DNA P). For those of us who've only tested ourselves (and are male), the only difference you'll currently note to your profile is the mtDNA and Y-DNA fields being flipped over.

Missing fields are automatically hidden, but that's the default display order.

Thanks for the suggestion, aaron.

I have updated mine but mtdna(M) and mtdna(P) is showing the same which is the data entered in mtdna(M) feild . Similarly ydna(P) and ydna(M) is showing the data of ydna(P)

DMXX
08-18-2019, 10:53 AM
I have updated mine but mtdna(M) and mtdna(P) is showing the same which is the data entered in mtdna(M) feild . Similarly ydna(P) and ydna(M) is showing the data of ydna(P)

Ah, bugger. Correcting that now.

[Edit]: All fixed.

Agamemnon
08-19-2019, 07:42 PM
I'd appreciate if it could be organised in the following manner:

Y-DNA (P)
mtDNA (M)
Y-DNA (M)
mtDNA (P)

JMcB
08-19-2019, 08:36 PM

Y-DNA (P)
mtDNA (M)
Y-DNA (M)
mtDNA (P)

Yes, Ill second that request and would also appreciate it!

Agamemnon
08-19-2019, 09:40 PM
Yes, I’ll second that request and would also appreciate it!

Or alternatively:

Y-DNA (P)
mtDNA (P)
Y-DNA (M)
mtDNA (M)

Ellerbe
08-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Or it could be:

Y-DNA
mtdNA
Y-DNA (M)
mtDNA (P)

^eyes could filter between main lines vs others with ease here.

aaronbee2010
08-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Y-DNA (P)
mtDNA (M)
Y-DNA (M)
mtDNA (P)

I third this. Out of all of the suggestions I've seen, this one is my favourite.

JMcB
08-20-2019, 12:11 AM
Or alternatively:

Y-DNA (P)
mtDNA (P)
Y-DNA (M)
mtDNA (M)

Also a possibility.

Although, I have to confess, no matter how they configure the (M) and the (P), I prefer the old ordering of:

Y-DNA
mtDNA

Osiris
08-20-2019, 12:55 AM
Cool.

alchemist223
08-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Gotta get some more family testing done. :)

DMXX
08-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Given the multiple options volunteered here, I've added a one week, multiple choice, anonymous poll to this thread to help us discern what the community consensus is.

Osiris
08-20-2019, 07:02 PM
I curious what's behind the formats other than #3. I chose #3 because it matches the little graphs I draw in visio for family trees which also matches the tree at FTDNA. Bottom center in a little box for my daughter, up and to the left is me, her father and up and to the right is her mother. And in the male boxes on the left is the Y chromosome and the right in the mtdna. Turn that tree 90 clockwise and that's #3.

I tried to represent that in my signature without the turn but even then that doesn't include all the haplogroups I'm interested. Missing is my stepfather's Y and MTDNA. Maybe it doesn't matter in my signature how I'm related to the haplogroups, I should just list the Y and MTDNA haplogroups I'm interested in.

artemv
08-21-2019, 12:00 AM
I think that paternal Ychr and maternal mtDNA should be sort of highlighted, as they are more important.

rms2
08-21-2019, 12:43 AM
Wish I knew my maternal grandfather's y-dna haplogroup so I could list it, but I don't. He passed away when I was a baby, and I waited too late to get my mother's only brother tested before he passed away.

I know of some other male relatives on that y-dna line, but thus far they refuse to test. And I've offered to pay for it.

JoeyP37
08-21-2019, 06:56 PM
I'd love to know my mother's hypothetical Y DNA. Her line is English in origin, so it would probably be R1b. Traced the line back to Burbage, Leicestershire, in the 1400s.

rms2
08-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Believe it or not, I think I may have discovered what my maternal grandfather's y-dna haplogroup is.

Maternal Grandfather's Y-DNA (https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?18112-Hoping-to-join-the-club)

Robert1
08-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Hey I like this! Posting to see if my Profile edit worked...

Dieu
08-23-2019, 11:40 PM
What about ?
Y-dna (p)
Y-dna (m)
Mtdna (m)
Mtdna (p)

even if my favourite is:
Y-DNA P, mtDNA M, Y-DNA M, mtDNA P

DMXX
08-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Thank you all for voting in the poll. Confirming here that I've just implemented the popular choice.

I've also greyed out the Y-DNA (M) and mtDNA (P) fields to maintain a distinction between those and the "primary" uniparental lines, following some inspiration from artemv's suggestion @ post #15.

If anyone's really allergic to that attempt at a distinction, please do let us know. Personally, I think it looks quite smart.

Ruderico
08-27-2019, 05:33 PM
I actually didn't notice this before. Personally I find it rather confusing and unnecessary, if people want to show their (or not theirs, in this case) uniparental markers of other family members they could use the signature. I guess I'm rather late for the party, but I just wanted to share my opinion anyway.

Pylsteen
09-10-2019, 05:33 PM
I notice the "grey" fields only show while logged out; they do not show while logged in; shouldn't that be the other way around?

DMXX
09-13-2019, 07:22 PM
I notice the "grey" fields only show while logged out; they do not show while logged in; shouldn't that be the other way around?

Hi,

I am not seeing what you're describing, here.

While logged in as both an Administrator and with a dummy Registered Users account (that's the same usergroup you belong to), the mtDNA (P) and Y-DNA (M) fields are both greyed out.

More details would be useful. Are you viewing the site through our default skin (Bittenfruit_Fluid)?