PDA

View Full Version : R-Z28496...rare haplogroup?

Eller
08-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Hallo everyone, I am new to this forum and hope to find some help for my research.
I run a DNA test with 23ndme and came out to be R-Z28496 as paternal haplogroup.
Actually, I googled this code and it seems to be no dedicated FAcebook or any genetic forums groups about it..:\
Am I searching it correctly? I was told that R-Z28496 is also known as FGC22952. Yet also searches about FGC22952 came out with few results.
The main purpose of my research is for ancestry/matches purposes. Id like to get in touch with people of the same group in order to try and track my ancestors path at least in the last 400 yrs if possible, which is still unclear to my family.

Thanks for your attention!
Elle R

JoeyP37
08-15-2019, 07:04 PM
It appears to be downstream from the Continental Celtic subclade R1b-U152

Eller
08-15-2019, 08:12 PM
It appears to be downstream from the Continental Celtic subclade R1b-U152

Thanks so much! Maybe this can explain the red hair?!

rms2
08-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Hallo everyone, I am new to this forum and hope to find some help for my research.
I run a DNA test with 23ndme and came out to be R-Z28496 as paternal haplogroup.
Actually, I googled this code and it seems to be no dedicated FAcebook or any genetic forums groups about it..:\
Am I searching it correctly? I was told that R-Z28496 is also known as FGC22952. Yet also searches about FGC22952 came out with few results.
The main purpose of my research is for ancestry/matches purposes. I’d like to get in touch with people of the same group in order to try and track my ancestors path at least in the last 400 yrs if possible, which is still unclear to my family.

Thanks for your attention!
Elle R

If that is what you want to do, you're going to need to have your y-dna tested with Family Tree DNA, because with them you get a myFTDNA web page that includes y-dna matches.

If you're willing to spend the money, you can also get FTDNA's Big Y-700 test, which will get you SNP matches.

You mentioned red hair above. Have you checked your 23andMe data for any of the many red hair variants?

Red Hair Variants Project (https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/red-hair-variants/about/background)

Ruderico
08-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Thanks so much! Maybe this can explain the red hair?!

Those things are not related, you could have whatever uniparental markers and a totally random hair colour because yDNA does not contribute to pigmentation. R-U152 is very common in Italy yet I didn't see hordes of redheads when I was last in Rome

rms2
08-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Those things are not related, you could have whatever uniparental markers and a totally random hair colour because yDNA does not contribute to pigmentation. R-U152 is very common in Italy yet I didn't see hordes of redheads when I was last in Rome

I think he was talking about the mention of "Continental Celtic" a few posts back and connecting red hair to the Celts rather than to U152.

Of course, that's another subject of controversy.