PDA

View Full Version : Baloch/Gulf Arab confusion

hartaisarlag
08-27-2019, 07:22 PM
Hey all,

I'm facing a bit of a conundrum. A few months ago, it emerged that my Jewish Y-subclade had a number of new cousins—thousands of years more recent than any previously identified cousins—and that they're all from one clan in the UAE and Oman.

So far, I haven't been able to sustain a correspondence with anyone who can be clear about it, but the impression I've gotten is that the members of this clan are descendants of a brigand-prince from Makran whose descendants ended up in the UAE/Oman in the mid-20th century. Naively, their clan name implies an ethnic Baloch origin, and from what I can tell, their Iranian Gulf town of origin is populated by ethnic Baloch people.

However, I've heard from other sources that these folks are ultimately descended from the Omani branch of the Azd tribe, some of whom were involved in the conquest of Balochistan. I could easily imagine this being standard the Arab-centric historiography you often find in various corners of the Islamic world, but I don't want to discount the possibility right away. Particularly because an Arab (and ultimately Levantine/East Mediterranean) origin for this lineage makes much more sense, given its upstream and downstream relatives, than an Iranian one.

Can anyone more knowledgeable about Baloch or Gulf ethnic history weigh in? Thanks.

hartaisarlag
08-28-2019, 01:17 AM
Also, does anyone have any attestation of E-M34 among Baloch people?

hartaisarlag
10-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Bump?

user100
10-30-2019, 05:42 AM
The Baloch coast is opposite the Persian Gulf coast of the Arabian Peninsula. It's entirely plausible that Baloch migrant from the tribe you mention migrated to the region. There are many Baloch people in Oman, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Kuwait.