PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA UNVEILING X CHROMOSOME MATCHING

Táltos
01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi guys I just saw over at FTDNA forum that they will be releasing their X chromosome matching this week! I can't wait!! For those who tested there, I hope we all receive X matches. :)

Stellaritic
01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Rebecca says :

Hi,

X-Chromosome matching is now live for Family Finder! If you have not lately, you will need to clear your web browser cache to have X-Chromosome matching works.

Táltos
01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Rebeccaa says :
Excellent! Trying it now!

EDIT-So far I see 10 matches! The X chromosome browser is not loading yet though.
DOUBLE EDIT- 18 matches now!!

Stellaritic
01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Excellent! Trying it now!

EDIT-So far I see 10 matches! The X chromosome browser is not loading yet though.
DOUBLE EDIT- 18 matches now!!

Good for you,I tried it and no matches were found.

Táltos
01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Rebekah said to clear the cache history. Try that and see what happens. When I did this the X chromosome browser now works for me to see them on the X. My only problem is that it only shows 10 of my matches here. I can see all 18 when I go to the Advanced matches feature.

AJL
01-03-2014, 12:35 AM
There are 13 for me, of which 3 are known (near) maternal relatives, and the rest all have amounts I consider trivial (1.66, 1.68, 1.7, 1.81, 1.84, 1.85, 1.86, 2.37, and 2.7 cM) with the possible exception of a 7.7-cM match.

rivergirl
01-03-2014, 03:56 AM
I dont understand where you are finding the X results and what it means anyway.
I went to Advanced matching and selected X matches and have 3 pages, but i cant see any data.

AJL
01-03-2014, 04:27 AM
I dont understand where you are finding the X results and what it means anyway.
I went to Advanced matching and selected X matches and have 3 pages, but i cant see any data.

Select them in the Chromosome Browser. Most of the matches though seem to be well below the 10-cM threshold.

An alternative is to download the .CSV file and open in Excel, then sort by chromosome (the X appears as chromosome "98" in my version).

rivergirl
01-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Select them in the Chromosome Browser. Most of the matches though seem to be well below the 10-cM threshold.

An alternative is to download the .CSV file and open in Excel, then sort by chromosome (the X appears as chromosome "98" in my version).
Thanks AJL.

It seems a rather laborious way of seeing the results.... especially if you have multiple kits.

rivergirl
01-03-2014, 05:43 AM
I have 66 matches, my mum 53 and cousins have 2 and 77 matches.
Quite a lot to go through.

AJL, they do show up on my page as chromosome 98.

Stephen1986
01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I have five matches and my brother has eight.

BMG
01-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I have got two matches with matching segments of 8.86 and 7.76 cM .Both of them where autosomal matches too.

AJL
01-03-2014, 07:19 PM
I have 66 matches, my mum 53 and cousins have 2 and 77 matches.
Quite a lot to go through.

AJL, they do show up on my page as chromosome 98.

Are many of them over 7 cM? I would not bother trying to trace anything shorter than that.

thetick
01-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Are many of them over 7 cM? I would not bother trying to trace anything shorter than that.

I was exited to see this added and cleared by cache and still no X matches? Then I remembered my largest X match at 23andme is in the 7cM range. The X contributing part of that side of the family is Polish/Rusyn and only small cM matches at Gedmatch.

AJL
01-03-2014, 08:53 PM
I was exited to see this added and cleared by cache and still no X matches? Then I remembered my largest X match at 23andme is in the 7cM range. The X contributing part of that side of the family is Polish/Rusyn and only small cM matches at Gedmatch.

My X is mainly from northern England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, and Benelux, with some unknowns. By far most of my autosomal matches are Ashkenazi or colonial US, and I only have a few X matches on 23andme as well, one of whom lists UK. My mother has a few more than me, with a couple each of Swiss and a few Norwegian matches, while the other few list UK or Netherlands.

vettor
01-03-2014, 11:18 PM

I was told this scenario means your Ftdna matches are ALL on the paternal side ..............unless the X matching is bugged for you.

AJL
01-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I was told this scenario means your Ftdna matches are ALL on the paternal side ..............unless the X matching is bugged for you.

This is not necessarily so. I have quite a number of FTDNA matches from my mother's father's father's side, which is colonial American, Irish, and Scottish, but which is not a potential X contributor. This chart (http://linealarboretum.blogspot.com/2012/11/phasing-x-chromosome.html) shows the possible X contributors.

vettor
01-04-2014, 12:21 AM
This is not necessarily so. I have quite a number of FTDNA matches from my mother's father's father's side, which is colonial American, Irish, and Scottish, but which is not a potential X contributor. This chart (http://linealarboretum.blogspot.com/2012/11/phasing-x-chromosome.html) shows the possible X contributors.

Thanks

But makes no sense to me.............you have a gfather on the maternal side, yet he does not appear in the X matches!.

Is the X matches bugged then or ............what is it picking up to select a match

AJL
01-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I do have one match that is from my mother's father's mother -- but a male never passes his X on to a male, so I have no matches from my mother's father's father.

seferhabahir
01-04-2014, 06:53 AM
I just took a look at my X-chromosome matches on FTDNA. There are 548 of them with over 100 matches having a segment over 10 cM, and about 30 matches having a segment over 15 cM. A few have two different segments of over 10 cM. Will have to look into some of these (none are known relatives).

Stellaritic
01-04-2014, 08:15 AM
I think its due to the fact that I only have 7 matches(all speculative).

vettor
01-04-2014, 05:38 PM
I think its due to the fact that I only have 7 matches(all speculative).

I don't think that should be a reason.............7 FF matches and zero X matches from these seems like a bug in the system...maybe you need to write to Ftdna

MitchellSince1893
01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
My dad has 7 matches...one of which is his maternal half brother. He has 515 total matches.

Táltos
01-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi guys thanks for posting your X results. From what I can gather, and I think a few of you guys might know this from FTDNA forum, they are only showing the X matches of people who you already share on the autosomes with. They did not calculate results on just matching on the X chromosome. Though it sounded like they *might* consider doing it in the future. So this is why we might see some people as low as 1.cm something. The trick for them to qualify to show as a match is that you have to share 500 SNPs with them, anything under will not be reported. So you might have some X's on Gedmatch that they don't show at FTDNA. Gedmatch allows for 200 SNPs. At any rate I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this. Just when I think I understand it, I don't! I would have thought there would be more male X matches, but there really is not. I get it that the guys only have one X so that is why they would have less. I can't have a Y match, cuz I don't technically have a Y, though I descend from one.:biggrin1: As of today I have 137 Family Finder matches, and 19 X chromosome matches.

My largest X match is my known male cousin. His maternal grandmother was the sister of my maternal great grandmother. I match him on the X for 20.15 cm and 975 SNPs. My smallest match and the only other male I share with is for 1.43 cm and 600 SNPs. I can only imagine that I should share with him on my father's side based on his ancestry, so I would think it should be a bigger amount of cm. Then again these I guess wouldn't be a true match if they did not calculate the match based on recalculating the database according to just matching on the X chromosome. Rebekah Canada at FTDNA also indicated to use caution with matches under 10 cm especially when it involves groups that have been known to intermarry. Oh well we will see what happens with this new feature. I hope it is improved to at least maybe be able to narrow down which line you and your match share common ancestry. Or better yet help to find the common ancestor.\

EDIT-I also want to add that my known male cousin, his daughter and my mother have their results at 23andme and do not match on the X! I am so confused????? My Mom and her do match on the autosomes, but for about 48 cm less than her father and I match each other.

leonardo
01-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I have 4, including my mother. My mother has 58. Most are Irish/English/Scottish. This comes from her mother's mother's side. She also has a fair share German/Germanic matches. I assume these are from her father mother's side and her maternal grandfather's mother's side, both of whom were German. Of interest, one match is a woman from Slovenia. On 23andMe, (where mother has not tested), I have x-chromosome matches with a man from Slovenia and a woman from Hungary. Must be some of the German migration to the Balkans that took place over the last few hundred years.

evon
02-14-2014, 06:32 PM
I only have two matches, my grandmother and a tiny match with an American.. :( My granny have a good number of matches, note worthy is her Russian match..