PDA

View Full Version : What is your #1 most favorite work of Literature??

shazou
09-03-2019, 04:37 AM
for me basically anything by the late great Edgar Allan Poe!! :D ..he writes oh sooo beautifully!

Elizabeth
09-22-2019, 12:26 AM
I'll list my first book that had no pictures: Arthur Rex by Thomas Bergen.

It's about King Arthur. It was given to me when I was 12.

Piquerobi
09-22-2019, 12:30 AM
The Decameron by Boccaccio, if I had to choose.

mainer
10-01-2019, 10:05 AM
I'd have to say Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth!

Samnium
10-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Odyssey by Homer

The_Lyonnist
12-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Hyperion, Dan Simmons

JonikW
12-20-2019, 12:33 AM
Germania by Tacitus. I've read it many times and it serves as my personal time machine. It grabs me just a few sentences in with: "The other parts, with their broad promontories and vast islands, are surrounded by the Ocean; in recent times war has revealed the existence there of nations and kings unknown before."

rms2
12-20-2019, 01:27 AM
Hard to choose. Maybe The Pickwick Papers, Nicholas Nickleby, or A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, but I am also really fond of Treasure Island, The Black Arrow, and Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. I also love The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Got hours and hours of enjoyment out of reading the Conan stories of Robert E. Howard and James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales.

Like I said, hard to choose.

glentane
12-20-2019, 01:53 AM
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by J. Hogg
Very local, more than Allan Ramsay or Conan Doyle; never mind Scott nor Stephenson. Yet even now, most convincing (I was raised as a literal burn-them-at-the-stake lowlands-scots calvinist: simply to save their mortal souls, ken?)
Pivoted off the infamous C18th "Greenside Murders" (down by Tony Blair's old school).

There are local suggestions that the whole of your transatlanic sex-cult, Mormonism, may have been started by "religious" (i.e lower beta or even crippled, gamma deadbeat maniacs) from the several Lothians, and Peebles beyond.

Check out the "Book of the Old Edinburgh Club" [An interminable, hypnotically-involving series; Morningside Library has shelves of it, going back centuries]. That's where the local "crime/detective", modren cafe-writers nick all their ideas from. And then add a slightly drunk, somewhat lazy and very complicit "unshaven"/"lady of a certain age" dominant character to.
Dominant, in the sense that they don't shit their breeks while stumblin' "home", fi Bennets or Mathers, or Rose St and down by Raeburn Place.
Wise beyond all measure. If ... you live in a bungalow, and the worst fight you'll ever have is over the recycling bins with 15-ton-tits Jo Swinson next door.
Me? I wis tacht ti pack a blade, fi I wis 12. All those moments, lost in Time ...

I still can not yet come to terms with those that thought "John Knife-Hauns" as an unlikely, far-fetched scenario. ; big sturdy laddie, I wid see him. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=neds+john+knife+hands&t=h_&iar=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=7WXaLiWKooQ

You ... people
could not understand.
see youse, eh.
But I would rather be deid than that ye should bore me.

The Rev. Renwick.? A local, down here an hour's walk from the English Border. Still has family about. Taxi!!
Get ma oot ay' here, Hoggie, afore The Darkness falls!

uintah106
12-20-2019, 02:49 AM
Les Miserables, novel not play.

uintah106
12-20-2019, 02:56 AM
Victor Hugo. Best ever and I don't speak French, love his novels.