PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA Family Finder Test Worthwhile?

Scarlet Ibis
08-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Is the FTDNA Family Finder test worth it? I remember browsing a thread about it on dna-forums, and it seemed like people weren't finding very many relatives, because the number of customers in the database was too low. Has it changed? Does anyone have experience?

AJL
08-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Generally, the users at Family Tree DNA are more receptive to communication, and a bit more savvy about/interested in/focused on genealogy and genetic genealogy as compared to 23andme. About half of my matches post a GEDCOM or surname list. I have been able to prove some aspects of my tree, and have had generally more luck there than at 23andme.

They do not paint chromosomes or use the X. You can use your raw data at Gedmatch.com to the same effect, though that's obviously not as good as being able to compare to all Xs in the database. The In Common With tool is very useful.

The numbers tested are certainly lower than 23andme, and some people have almost no matches. They seem to be growing at a fairly solid if not blazing pace. 23andme also has a cap on Relative Finder matches of about 1,500 while FTDNA does not, so if both companies persist, in the long run some people may have more Family Tree DNA matches. (Some kits are already almost in this position.)

There's also a sale on for the next few days.

Scarlet Ibis
08-24-2012, 04:42 AM
23andme also has a cap on Relative Finder matches of about 1,500 while FTDNA does not, so if both companies persist, in the long run some people may have more Family Tree DNA matches. (Some kits are already almost in this position.)

Uh oh....I didn't know there was a 1,5000 limit of relatives at 23andme. I still have quite a way to go before I reach that limit. In fact, they might just pull the plug on my RF updates entirely before I hit 1,5000, since I'm still on the V2 platform. But it's still worrisome for long-term usefulness.

I did get the email about the sale, but I won't have $250 to drop within the next 2 days. The regular price of $289 without mtDNA info isn't too bad, though, for when/if I do get the money. I don't really need the mtDNA information, since I doubt FTDNA can tell me anything I don't already know about my haplogroup.

AJL
08-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Yeah I am guessing you probably won't have very many matches from your maternal side at either 23 or FTDNA. There is a little overlap in my matches at each, but not much. The basic mtDNA at Family Tree might also not get you any matches, but you never know. I don't think they'll offer a subclade without a full mitochondrial genome test there.